• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 1,301 Views, 141 Comments

The Kingpin - ocalhoun



Private Investigator Twilight Sparkle takes on the toughest case of her career.

  • ...
4
 141
 1,301

Backup

Chapter 22 – Backup

The very moment the sun crested the horizon, Twilight pounded her hoof on Applejack's door.

The farmpony opened it instantly. She wasn't one to sleep in late.

“Applejack, I need your help!”

A big, lopsided grin spread across Applejack's face. “I was wonderin' how long it'd be before ya needed my help.” She looked around the farm. “Where's Pinkie?”

Twilight cringed. “They've taken her!”

“What? Where?” Applejack's eyes went wide, and she looked out over the farm again, as if she might spot Pinkie being held out there.

“I don't know.” Twilight shook her head. “But I have a plan to find her. I'm going to get captured.”

One of Applejack's eyebrows rose. “Ain't much of a plan.”

“When I get captured, they'll probably take me to the same place. Once they do, you'll come and rescue us both.”

“But how am I gonna find you? They could take ya anywhere, and I might not be able to follow.”

Twilight pulled a small compass out of her mane and tossed it over. “Here. I've enchanted it so that it will point toward me no matter where I am. It's tuned to my magical frequency.” She grinned.

“Well, alrighty then. Let's get goin'!”

Twilight held a hoof up. “Hold on. They've got some pretty serious firepower on their side. Are you sure you can handle it alone?”

Applejack grinned, then ran inside. Just a moment later, she rushed back out, wearing a pair of saddlebags. She opened one, dropped the compass into it, and pulled out an enormous slingshot. “This here's the apple slingshot I like to call the eighty-eight magnum.” She winked. “It shoots through schools... Yeah. I can handle it.”

Twilight smiled. “Good. Let's go!”