• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 1,301 Views, 141 Comments

The Kingpin - ocalhoun



Private Investigator Twilight Sparkle takes on the toughest case of her career.

  • ...
4
 141
 1,301

Tension Runs Thick

Chapter 4 – Tension Runs Thick

A tiny bell chimed as Twilight stepped into Sugarcube Corner's main room. The warm, sweet scents of freshly baked treats washed over her. Ponies gathered around the tables inside talked and laughed.

“Hello, Pinkie! Hello, Twilight!” Missus Cake smiled at them from across the counter. “Anything I can get for you, dearies?”

“Yes.” Twilight smiled back as Pinkie shut the door behind her. “I'd like some information...” She leaned in close and lowered her voice. “...about the protection racket you've gotten caught up in.”

Missus Cake's eyes shot open wide, and her mouth tightened. The air thickened as a portion of the voices from the tables ceased.

Twilight glanced around. At one nearby table, Lyra and Bon Bon glared at her with narrowed eyes. From another table, Sea Swirl and Golden Harvest glanced at her with their eyebrows raised. Derpy Hooves, sitting next to them, seemed intent on the muffin in front of her, but one eye tracked in Twilight's direction. Even the Cake's twins popped their heads in from the top of the stairs.

Mister Cake hurried out from the kitchen. “Is everything okay, Honeybun?”

Cup Cake just glanced toward him and cringed.

He glared at Twilight. “Hey, what's going on here, you two?”

“We're trying to find out who's hitting you up for protection money.” She held a hoof up in front of her. “We don't want to cause any trouble, right, Pinkie?”

“Yes indeedy!” Pinkie bounced up and down. “We don't want any trouble. No trouble at all! Not one word of troub–” She continued mumbling despite Twilight's hoof covering her mouth.

Carrot Cake glanced around the room, breathing heavily. “We don't know anything about that.”

Twilight stared at him. “Yes you do.”

He looked up at the twins peeking down from the stairwell, then back to Twilight. “I can't tell you anything. You two need to go.”

Twilight kept staring. Her frown deepened.

He didn't back down.

“Fine.” She turned away, finally uncovering Pinkie's still-babbling mouth. “But I will get to the bottom of this. When is the next pick-up time?”

He glanced at the clock, but said nothing.

“Soon, then.” Twilight smirked. “We'll be around.”