• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 1,296 Views, 141 Comments

The Kingpin - ocalhoun



Private Investigator Twilight Sparkle takes on the toughest case of her career.

  • ...
4
 141
 1,296

A New Case

Chapter 1 – A New Case

Dim beams of sunlight filtered in through the dusty blinds of the office in Twilight's library, angling through the slight haze. The old ceiling fan circled lazily above, barely managing to move the air.

Twilight leaned back in her creaky wooden chair and stared at the empty desk in front of her. She swiped a hoof across the wood, leaving a trail through the dust. Perhaps she just wasn't cut out to be a private investigator after all. Clients were far and few between in a town this small.

She sighed. From the angle of the sunbeams, it must have been late afternoon already. Time to call it a day. With a groan and a tired stretch, she rose from the chair.

The door latch clicked, deafening in the long, dull silence of the little room, and the door creaked open.

One dainty yellow hoof stepped in, and a long, luscious curl of pink mane followed it. The mare finally stepped completely into the room. Her legs went up forever, disappearing into a red dress and leading into gentle curves. The broad sweep of her mane framed a face that could have graced the cover of any fashion magazine.

Twilight fell back limply into her chair, her eyes open wide.

Fluttershy swayed luxuriantly as she stepped up to the desk. Her wings flared out as she leaned up against it.

Twilight's own wings popped open, all on their own.

“Um, Twilight? I heard you were doing some private eye work now?”

Steepling her hooves in front of her and leaning back into the chair, Twilight did her best to appear professional and experienced. She nodded.

“Well, um...” Fluttershy leaned down closer and slowly licked her lips. “I think you might be able to help me. If that's okay with you.”

“Of course.” Twilight leaned in, resting her front hooves on the wide desk. “What seems to be the problem?”

“Well...” Fluttershy sighed, sinking down a little and glancing away. “It's Rainbow. She's just been acting so strange lately. It's not like her.”

Letting the corner of her mouth curl up into a grin, Twilight levitated her trusty old detective's hat onto her head and summoned a paper and quill. “So, just what is it that Rainbow's doing that has you concerned?”

“She keeps sneaking out in the middle of the night, and she flies around town wearing these weird black saddlebags, and no matter how nicely I ask, she won't tell me what it's all about.”

Twilight nodded, scribbling away at her notes. “And when did this start? What happened before that?”

“Well, I don't know what caused it. Everything was normal until just a couple months ago.”

Looking back up at Fluttershy, Twilight raised an eyebrow. “She's been acting like this for months, and you're just now coming to ask about it?”

“Well...” Fluttershy glanced away, hiding behind her mane. “It took me a little while to work up the nerve to come ask you.”

Twilight shook her head and chuckled. “Well, you can count me in. I'll take the case, and we'll get to the bottom of this mystery. I guarantee it.”

“Oh thank you, Twilight. It really means a lot to me.”

Twilight grinned, already savoring the feeling of being on a case again. “What are friends for?”