• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 2,648 Views, 268 Comments

Raindrops' Wrap Up - Arkensaw Pinkerton



Raindrops is about to have a very, very weird winter wrap-up. A choosable path adventure!

  • ...
2
 268
 2,648

Chapter 32

You spread your wings, stretching them for a moment, and take flight over the ice to the yew tree. As you gain a little altitude you spot a couple of holes in the ice- likely colts throwing rocks into the tarn, you reckon- and you make a mental note to avoid them when you score the ice later.

The red thing here is stuck fairly high up. It's probably just something a pegasus dropped or got snagged here, but you're not sure why they'd be all the way out at the tarn during winter. In summer, you think this seems like a nice, secluded place for a picnic, but in winter it just feels isolated. You hover closer to the object, and grab it in your teeth before pulling it off the tree and landing on the island to inspect your find.

It's a piece of red cloth, for the most part. You think it's been used as a filly's cape. It's a little ragged, and kinda sticky, and lined with some pretty expensive-looking golden fabric. There's a place on it where a badge or patch had been sewn on, but that's been ripped off at some point. Recently, you think. You realise that there's no snow on the cape, and the last snowfall was only a couple of days ago. This cape hasn't been lost for long.

You frown, and take to the sky again. This time you're looking at the snow around the lake- it's mostly pristine up here, except for the hoofprints you left as you were walking up here. You're hoping that you won't find any other tracks, and you feel your heart sink when you do find them- little hoofprints, a filly's or a colt's, coming in a straight line from town. They've got a pattern it takes you a minute to put together- little clumps of hoofprints, then a gap, then hoofprints again, then a bigger gap, and-

They can't fly! That's what this is! They're running, and they're trying to take off, and they're getting better at it each time, spending a little more time aloft, and then their last leap must have taken them to the pond. They must have gotten some real elevation to get into the tree where they lost their cape, you think.

But there's no track away from the pond. An experienced flier can barrel through a tree, but an inexperienced one's more likely to tuck their wings in and close their eyes. Genuinely worried now, you fly over to the tree and look- there are feathers on one of the branches. Pegasus feathers. Definitely.

And there are a couple of big holes in the ice.

Oh, Tartarus.

You take a brief, panicky moment to assess your options. You're a poor swimmer and that water's ice cold, and if you're wrong then you could really hurt yourself. If you're right, and to Celestia you hope you're not, there's a pegasus filly under there who's been there for a couple of minutes at least. The cold might help her, right? You've read something like that, you think, and she might be okay if you get her quickly. Or she might be okay long enough to get help.

Oh, Tartarus.

Please put requests for Raindrops' actions in the comments below!

There's a few ways you could have gotten here.
To go back a step, Click here for Chapter 15.
Or Click here for Chapter 25.