• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 2,648 Views, 268 Comments

Raindrops' Wrap Up - Arkensaw Pinkerton



Raindrops is about to have a very, very weird winter wrap-up. A choosable path adventure!

  • ...
2
 268
 2,648

Chapter 30

"I think it's important that I do the toughest job you've got," you say confidently. "I'm sure that I can handle anything the wrap up can throw at me. Even-"

"Even foalsitting the Junior Weather Patrol?" Cloud Kicker shouts from behind you. "Wow, Raindrops, that's really brave of you!"

"What? No, I meant-"

"I think that's fantastic. That you've volunteered for it even though it's such a rough job. That shows real moxie, don't you think boss?"

"Uh, yeah, I guess," says Rainbow Dash, starting to smile. She's not going for this, is she? "Actually, that's kinda perfect! I'd never want a shift manager who wanted to dodge all the rough jobs. Raindrops, this is really solid of you!"

Oh, ponyfeathers.

"Great work, Raindrops- I'll get the foals over to you as soon as they show up." Rainbow nods and you stumble away. How did that happen, exactly? You were talking about jobs, and you wanted a really tough one to prove- Cloud Kicker. That's what happened. Twilight's started her speech, and you muscle through the crowd until you find a particular grey pegasus. You whisper in her ear, and she jumps in suprise.

"Listen up, you sneaky little-"

"Hush, Dropsy. Important speeches are going on, and since I'm in charge of cloud clearing this year I have to pay attention. I'm sure you can find some way to amuse yourself."

Oh, she is insufferable! The worst part is she's right. She actually does have to pay attention, or the whole wrap up could be a disaster. Much as you'd like to see Cloud Kicker mess it up, a good wrap up is essential for everypony. You take a deep breath and count to a hundred- at about seventy-four, Cloud Kicker finds you as the crowd breaks up.

"Okay, so what's your problem, Dropsy? I've got fifty seconds to deal with it."

"Don't call me Dropsy!" you growl. "That was a mean trick-"

"Oh, grow up, Dropsy. You've got to fight if you want to succeed, you know that. If you'd cared enough-"

Alright, that's it! You launch yourself at Cloud Kicker, tackling her into the snow and trying to get into position for a decent punch. Unfortunately, while you're stronger, she's a better fighter, and after a couple of seconds she lands a solid hoof in your face. When your vision clears, she's standing away from you, panting heavily and trying to regain her composure.

"You get one, Dropsy. Don't let it happen again."

"You can take your condescension and cram it up your-"

"Oh wow! It'th Mith Raindropth again! Hi Mith Raindropth!"

Cloud Kicker smirks at you and takes flight as the Junior Weather patrol congregate in front of you. You remember some of the names- the filly with the lisp is Twist, and as far as you can recall she's the only one who actually likes you. Dinky is Ditzy's little girl, you remember, but last time you did this she didn't speak a word to you. Snips and Snails, the two unicorn colts in the group, are more trouble than they're worth and Diamond Tiara and her little minion are the sort of snooty little fillies who you always used to hate. The rest of them are new, or at least unfamiliar, to you- a lanky Pegasus colt with a feather cutie mark, and three blank flanks standing in the rear with matching capes. They look really enthusiastic, you realise as your heart sinks.

"You have a black eye!" One of them shouts cheerfully.

"Oh, Yeah." You touch it gingerly- it's going to swell up horribly. You make a mental note to bind Cloud Kicker's wings up and drop her from a great height.

"Tho what are we doing today, Mith Raindropth?" Twist asks you with a big grin.

It's not a bad question- literally the only job the Junior Weather Patrol have to get done is de-icing the fountain in the main square. Any other work, you have to beg, borrow or steal from the weather, animal and plant teams, and if you take on something too big or complex these foals won't miss an opportunity to mess it up. You've got to think of something to do with them. Preferably something that involves being quiet and getting Miss Raindrops a big glass of wine.

To get the fountain de-iced before bugging the other teams if you've got time, Click here for Chapter 36.
To ask them what they want to do in the hopes of killing a little time, Click here for Chapter 37.
To set the Junior Weather Patrol ferrying snacks and drinks to all the other working ponies, Click here for Chapter 38.

Requests closed for this chapter!

To go back a step, Click here for Chapter 6.