• Published 28th Nov 2015
  • 1,913 Views, 31 Comments

Sunny Knight: a Pony's Tale - TheothersideofSunny968



A story of love, loss, pain, and how finding and making friends is as easy as giving an honest smile.

  • ...
13
 31
 1,913

PreviousChapters Next
a Message in Smoke

The trio of equine, made up of Zecora, Sunny and Apple Bloom, raced through the woods at top speed, never looking back at the Timberwolves that were hot on their trail. Zecora was leading the team with Sunny following quickly behind, carrying little Apple Bloom on his back. Apple Bloom held tightly onto the yellow stallion's neck with all her might, fighting with herself to not look back. She could still smell the horrible stench of the Timberwolve's breath even with as fast as they were running, and didn't want to see just how close the monsters actually were to her. Sunny's legs were on fire, the unicorn never having to run this much in his life, well, as much as he knew he hadn't. But he refused to give into exhaustion. It was more then his own life he was struggling to protect. It was Apple Bloom's as well.

There were six more Timberwolves quickly on the trio's tail, and closing in. Never before had the beasts ever been so driven, so aggressive. But that just meant that they were losing their wit as well, whatever little amount of wit such creatures had.

Just as Zecora reached a clearing where a great muddy lack resided, she grabbed a long, low hanging branch, pulled it back, and waited for Sunny and Apple Bloom to make it safely past her before releasing it. The branch wiped back as Zecora released it, and smacked the next Timberwolf in the face, hard enough to where it burst into sticks and twigs. The wolf that was right behind that one,rear-ended the first one, and also burst to wood debris, and created a small cloud of dirt and dust.

In the moment of confusion, Zecora grabbed Sunny and Apple Bloom and pulled them down into a thick bush that was close by. As they lay hidden the shrubbery, Zecora grabbed a decent sized stone and tossed it into a dark part of the muddy water. Just as the rest of the Timberwolves began to arrive and the broken ones began to regenerate and reform, something came bubbling up from the lake.

A few bubbles started to pop up at first, catching the attention of the wolves, then more and more until the lake seemed to be boiling. The Timberwolves all gathered around the edge of the lake and watched, waiting to something to emerge. The delicious looking ponies, they hoped.They didn't have to wait to long to find out. Not a moment after the bubbles stopped, out of the lake popped a long, reptilian head attached to a neck that must have stretched for at least ten yards and been as thick as a tree trunk! Then another head popped out, followed by another, and another! By the end of it, seven heads in total popped from the muddy water, all growling and looking around for what had disturbed them. Their green reptilian eyes fell upon the wolves made of wood. As the hydra roared, so did the wolves howl. That was the start of an mighty clash between the creatures. A fight that was perfect enough to distract the Timberwolves while certain equine beings to escape.

The three moved swiftly and quietly through the forest, well aware that many creatures just as dangerous, if not more so, then the Timberwolves, lay and waited for such pray to enter into their sights. Zecora, though, knew every stone, every twist, every turn, every trick, and knew how to play off her surroundings to survive. And in no time, lead the two ponies to her tree like home in the heart of the wild forest.

As the two yellow ponies entered the zebra's home, they collapsed to the ground, their breathing heavy, Sunny's legs could barley to keep him standing any longer. They had been pushed way past their limits, and he collapsed to the floor. Zecora just casually took her cloak off, hanging it nearly by the door, and placed her staff neatly by that. She then went over and began to pour some drinks for her guests.

"Apple Bloom, I always happy to see you, and to have you come over for a spell. Now drink this, it will relax and rejuvenate and soon you will once again feel well." The Zebra instructed and Apple Bloom obeyed. She offered Sunny a drink as well, to which, he happily took it and began to chug it. The drink tasted strongly of wild berries and tea. It was odd, but indeed refreshing.

The zebra looked at the two, half smiled and shook her head. "Now what could possess you two to come down and see me, here in the ever growing dangerous Everfree?"

Sunny was the first to speak up. He took several deep breaths to regain his composure before looking to Zecora. "Well, ugh, miss Zecora... My name is Sunny, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine, but please speak fast, we haven't got the time. Soon the night will fall. And the beasts will be out, Timberwolves, Hyras and all." The rhyming zebra explained, worry clear in her voice.

"Right, sorry" Sunny continued and cleared his voice. "Well that's why we came. The Timberwolves are on a rampage, attacking the orchard and we were wondering if you could tell us why. Or maybe even give us some information about them. We-"

But Zecora put up a hoof to silence the yellow unicorn. "I don't know much, about the wolves of wood. But tell you all I know, that I could."

The shaman then walked over to her book shelf and grabbed a book bound in thick tree teaves, and tossed it over to the unicorn who caught it with his magic. "I have watched all these creatures, took down in inc what I saw. Wrote down every detail from their muzzle down to their paw. I wish i could do more, but anything else of the Timberwolves lays simply in ponytales and lore."

Sunny skimmed the book quickly, and found the information on the Timberwolves half way through the book. It was only about two or three pages worth, but the information might just be the advantage they needed. But he still thought to ask more. "Thank you for the book. But do you have anything that might drive them away?"

The zebra walked over to a shelf of hers that held many vials, jars and bottles. She looked around carefully then grabbed two jars; one that held a green liquid and a white. "The green is hydra waste, dab some on your hooves and muzzle. But trust me, you do not want to taste. It will cast off the wolves until you get home, but as for protection the apple orchard, I'm afraid you are on your own."

Sunny looked at the second jar, the one with the white liquid. "What's this one then?"

The shaman's face grew grim, and she stared from the vile back to the yellow unicorn. "I know of you, the one called Sunny. Lost his memory, but still remains pure hearted, kind and funny. But history repeats itself, of that I am sure. And many trials you soon will face and endure. My heart cries for you, for all you will see and remember too."

Sunny narrowed his eyes at Zecora, his curiosity peaked. "Do you.... Do you know who I am? Where I come from? Do you know why I lost my memory?! Could you tell me?"

But the zebra only walked over to her cauldron, took a deep breath, then grabbed a hoof full green magical powder from a cloth sack,and threw it into the brew. The mixture produced a creepy dark green smoke, to which, Zecora spoke through. As she spoke, the smoke took new shape.

"I have seen shadows of the past, shifting and rising at long last. A terrible fate that you have met, many suffered, a lover and mother that wept." There in the smoke, shapes began to take form of what seemed to be two unicorns, one black and one white. The black was male, the white seemed to be a tall female. But then a third appeared, a little yellow one. It seemed to jump around both of the two parents. Only, the black one seemed to fade away, along with the yellow one. No... Sunny squinted his eyes. It seemed more like the yellow one was being dragged away by the black one as it faded. And the white one was reaching out with a hoof to save the yellow one. Only.... She was too late. And the mare cried. The tears fell back into the misting brew.

"To the castles of white and crystal you shall go, and find out the truth only two others now know." The white mare then began to swirl around then split in two, forming a castle that Sunny quickly recognized as Canterlot, but the other, the one made of crystal, he had to assume was the Crystal Empire.

In a moment, the smoke cleared leaving the witchdoctor zebra looking at Sunny with forlorn eyes. "I wish I could tell you more, but even my knowledge of you and your past is very poor. This part of the past that you once knew, will soon be revealed to you. But let not the shadows of the past cloud your heart" she smiled at the stallion. "You aren't a bad stallion, but you must play your part. Into two roads, your path will break. Make the wise decision to the path that you will take."

All of it was still over Sunny's head. But he looked down at the vile of white liquid, then back to Zecora. "I guess I should take this when we're out of harm's way?"

Zecora smiled and nodded. "And best before bed, less you grow dizzy, fall and hit your head."

Sunny out the vile with the white liquid under his hat, followed quickly by the book. Zecora suggested that he and Apple Bloom apply the 'hydra waste' right outside her door, for two reasons. One, the scent will Linder from her door way and keep the wolves away from the very start of their journey home up until they actually get back. And two, she didn't want her whole home to smell like waste.

After applying the strong smelling liquid, the two yellow ponies bid farewell to their zebra friend, and began their venture home. As confused as Sunny was about Zecora's fortune telling, Apple Blooom even more. She wanted to tell her sister all about it, but could barely figure out what Zecora was even talking about. But the little filly just shrugged and figured Sunny would tell her. The little filly guessed that Sunny didn't really keep secrets, especially from Applejack.

PreviousChapters Next