• Published 28th Nov 2015
  • 1,915 Views, 31 Comments

Sunny Knight: a Pony's Tale - TheothersideofSunny968



A story of love, loss, pain, and how finding and making friends is as easy as giving an honest smile.

  • ...
13
 31
 1,915

PreviousChapters Next
Who Sunny Knight is...

The rest of the train ride back to Ponyville Sunny spent half curled up looking out the window at the changing scenery, a million things running through his head. But none of it he cared enough to think about at the moment. All he wanted to do was get back to the apple farm, back to his home, and leave everything else behind. Leave the Crystal Empire behind. Leave the Black Knight behind. The crystal ponies. The guilt from 1000 years ago. The horrible memories. The good memories. Even the few unanswered questions, like 'why did my father seal me away?' And 'who is my mother... and why can't I remember her?', he rather just ignore for a while.

At the moment, all the yellow unicorn wanted to do was go home and get to bed. A place where he hoped all the ghosts from his past couldn't find him. A place where he could relax and be safe. A place where he is just ' a pony named Sunny'. And nothing more...



On a small island, off the shore of the south Luna ocean, on the more quiet coast of Equestrian, the princess of the sun lay resting on a nice warm beach, hoping peaceful and warm surroundings would put her spirit at rest. It was an island Celestia and Luna found not long after they had fully constructed their castle in the Everfree forest and wished to have a place to escape to, a place where the worries of being a princess and constantly working to improve and preserve harmony in their land would be far away, at least for a little while. To ensure this, the two sisters used a spell they borrowed from Star-Swirl the beaded to cloak the entire island in a magical barrier that turned the island invisible. There were only a hoof full of individuals who knew of the island. Most of those included the staff who lived and worked on the island.

"Your drink, Celestia?" A dark brown earth pony approached the princess. He had his black mane in dread locks and wore reflective sunglasses.

"Thank you R and R" Celestia smiled at the earth pony. She and her sister Luna asked the staff of the island to simple address then by name and not by status. So words like 'princess', 'majesty' and 'highness' were not spoken. "That will be all."

"As you wish, I'm gunna hit da surf" R and R said. "My bros and I are havin' a surf contest. You want in on dis?"

"No thank you, I think I'll be fine just watching from here" Celestia forced a smile.

"K" R said before grabbing a surfboard. He paused for a moment then turned back to the sun princess. "Oh! I almost forgot, mi mom baked a cake this morning. If ya want, please help yourself to a slice. She's a heck of ah good cook."

"Thank you" Celestia nodded, took a sip of her drink and watched the surfer pony run off to join his fellow staff members he happily called 'bros'.

Most theorists Celestia had visit her, in secret of course, had told her the sound of the ocean was the calmest thing she appeared to react to. Often Celestia thought of retiring and moving onto the island permanently. But she knew her sister and her would always be needed in Equestrian. There would alway be some monster or some dispute amongst her ponies that would needed to be settled. Not even the entire world has been discovered yet. Maybe when it is, then she can relax. But at the moment, Celestia just needed to relax and enjoy the peaceful sound of the ocean.

She didn't know for how many hours she laid on her towel on the beach, but the sun princess was awoke by a small and unfamiliar sound. Her stomach and gargled at her to satisfy it. Instantly, her mind reeled back to what R and R said about there being cake at the shack. Getting up and stretching, Celestia shook the bits of sand off of her and made her way back to the shack at the midddle of the island. It was a small building like structure, kept simple and humble for maximum relaxation. Upon entering the shack, Celestia found many bags of chips, hay dogs and buns with an array of condiments, but what caught her eye was a plate that held a rather large chocolate cake. It looked simply delicious with its garnished frosting flowers and bright colored base. R and R's mother had quite a reputation as the best cook in the island, and always went out of her way when Celestia or Luna took time on the island.

'I know it will be nice and moist, but I'm really thirsty' Celestia thought to herself as she walked over the the refrigerator, having grabbed a clean glass. 'Some milk would go great with...'

But as Celestia opened the fridge, she saw something that shook her at her very core. It was a small, personal sized cake. Much like the other cake, it was also decorated with brightly colored frosting and garnished with flowers made from frosting as well, but... it was the modest size that really struck Celestia...

"It looks.... just like his..." the sun princess said as nostalgia took hold of her mind and heart, pulling her back to her past. Of her birthday over 1000 years ago. Before the imprisoning of Nightmare Moon, before the building of Canterlot, and before the fall of the Crystal Empire...



Over 1000 years ago, Castle of the two pony sisters



It was a magnificent party, Celestia thought, one defiantly fit for the princess of the sun, the one who began every pony's day with bright and shinning new hope. Celestia had dawned a new dress that had been given to her for the occasion by Star-Swirl himself! Made of the finest white silks, and embroidered with 14 carrot gold thread, making gold suns that resembled her own cutie mark. Celestia walked tall and proud down the hallway and into the main hall, where guests from all around Equestrian had gathered to celebrate her birthday. Members of royal families, diplomats, and noble ponies alike all were invited. Celestia and Luna were told by their teacher and mentor, Star-Swirl, that it was important for the leaders and those of power to become familiar with the new rulers of Equestrian, so that if problems arose, they wouldn't be consulting strangers. That, and the more ponies got to know them, the more comfortable they would feel with the new monarchs. Granted, there were some who questioned the princess's power and authority, but most of that was put to rest when the sisters demonstrated their ability to raise and lower the sun and moon without the aid of an entire team of unicorns by their side. Celestia was also demonstrated her power by freeing the ponies from those frightening changelings during the siege of Trot. Yes, quickly the ponies have learned of Celestia's and Luna's great power, and with that, came a great deal of respect.

Upon arriving, the announcer nodded, and trumpets began to play. Clearing his throat, the announcer pony spoke loudly to catch all the pony's attention. "It is my honor to announce that her majesty, the one who raises and lowers the sun each and every day, has arrived! Let us greet and wish a very happy birthday to the one, and only, princess Celestia of Equestria!"

As she gracefully strolled out and began descending down the stair case, Celestia smiled and performed and elegant bow before addressing the entire crowd of party guests. "Thank you all for coming to my birthday party, it means so much that you came. I know some of you had quite the hornet to make. For those of you who have long journeys to get back home, please, feel free to stay the night in the guest wing of the castle and rest here for the night."

"Happy birthday, your majesty!" The crowd casually cheered, excited but still wishing to remain refined in their appearance.

Descending the rest of the staircase with the utmost sense of elegance, Celestia was quickly surrounded by a crowd of her guests, wishing her the very best of birthdays, introducing and reintroducing themselves to her. The sun princess did her best to greet them all, thanking them for coming and what not. Through the small talk, Celestia was able to peek out over the crowd at two very special stallions she had hoped to see.

The pearl colored alicorn turned to her guests and thought up a quick escape. "Excuse me, everypony, I have some guests who I have to welcome. Please, help yourself to some refreshments."

After breaking away from the crowd, Celestia made her way over to the entrance where her special guests were talking. But despite her desperate desire to see them, the princess of the sun was stopped by a grumpy and annoyed looking, bearded wizard.

"Star-Swirl, I'm glad you could make it" Celestia said with a nervous smile.

The older unicorn's face was hard to read. He looked both proud and dissatisfied as his eyes looked deep into Celestia's. "quite a lovely party, wouldn't you agree? Have you see your sister? I wouldn't think Luna would miss a party. You know how she loves to mingle."

That's when it struck the solar princess, diverting her thoughts for a split second. "I... actually haven't seen her all night... where could she be?"

"I'll go look for her..." the bearded wizard said as he began walking away. "My advice Celestia, pay close attention to those closest to you. Neglect your duty to them, and you might find your world in pieces."

"Is that some sort of threat, old friend?" Celestia knew Star-Swirl had been acting different towards her in the past couple of years, given what she had done. But she hoped that their friendship would mean more to him then that.

"It is a warning" Star-Swirl noted without turning around to face the princess. "I have seen ponie's lives ruined by neglect. One can't favor one flower and forget the rest of the garden. As a friend, I advise you to listen to your sister. She seems troubled. But for now, enjoy the party. I will speak with her."

Not another word, and the bearded wizard teleported himself from where he stood to the top of the staircase, wanting to avoid swing through the sea of guests, then he began his walk down the hall that would lead him to Luna's room.

Shaking that encounter from her mind for the moment, Celestia casually, but quickly, walked up and possibly interrupted a conversation between her two most favored guests.

"I'm glad you two could make it" Celestia smiled down at both of them, her face lighting up brighter then it had all night.

"Celestia!" The young prince Soleggiato Cavaliere ran up to princess Celestia, giving the alicorn princess the biggest hug he could. The young colt barley reached the sun princess's knee, but always made his best effort to try and reach up to her chest for his welcome hugs. "I've missed you so much! Happy Birthday!"

"My! Haven't you grown!" Celestia smiled, lowered her head and nuzzled the little yellow colt. "I've missed you too, Sunny."

Pulling her head back, Celestia's gaze shifted from the young prince to his father. King Sombra was dressed in his finest royal blue silk cloak and onyx colored, armor chest plate. Celestia lo-er, liked, yes liked, how the large emerald like stone on the chest plate really brought out the color in the kind king's eyes. Equally, Sombra thought the same of the amethyst colored stone Celestia wore on her elegant neck piece. But as he stared back into her eyes, he thought how just a moment of staring into them was worth more then all the gems and jewels the world had to offer.

"It's good to see you again, princess Celestia" Sombra's regal voice, deep as thunder, but like a fine tuned piano key was music to Celestia's ears.

Never wanting to break eye contact, Celestia gave the king of the Crystal Empire a modest smile, but it was increasing difficult for the alicorn mare to hold back the joy she felt with such a smile. "It is good to see you too, king Sombra. You and Sunny seem well."

Sombra then smiled down at his young son, who was just beaming with utter delight. His smile seemed to spread from one ear to the other on his yellow muzzle. But as much as he had been waiting to come to the sun princess's birthday party, Sunny thought it best to leave them alone for a while and help himself to the food table. "Oh! Looks at the buffet! Ugh, I'm going to... get a better look at it."

As the little yellow colt casually walked over to the long table that held enough food for an entire town, the Princess and King couldn't help but watch and laugh lightly to themselves, knowing exactly what he was doing.

"He's as smooth as his father" Celestia complemented, eyes still glued to the young prince.

"I was thinking more like his mother" Sombra said as he watched his son look over the various foods. "Speaking of like his mother, he couldn't wait to give you your gift. But it's in the kitchen at the moment, cooling off in your ice box."

Celestia raised a brow. "Is it... made of ice?"

"Not exactly" Sombra smiled, thinking about the gift Sunny worked so hard on. "He wanted to make something 'special' for you. 'Something no pony could top' he said."

Celestia turned to see Sunny curiously eyeing a mountain of various sweets that covered the desert table, more or less studying them then trying to decide which one to try. "He's such a good boy... it tears me apart to think that... his mother can't be there for him as much as she wants."

Seeing the pain beginning to grow in the sun princess's eyes, Sombra nudged her lightly. "I feel the same. I wish she could be with us too. I wish we could be together as a family. The three of us. And I know Sunny wishes that too."

Celestia's head began to hang, her heart stricken with guilt.

"But you know what?" Sombra continued, drawing the alicorn's purple eyes back to him. "Sunny knows how his mother has her duties to perform. He looks forward to the days when he 'can' see his mother, rather then dwell on the days where he can't. It's like when the sun sets. He doesn't look back and miss the day that ended, but rather looks forward to the coming dawn.

"He tries his hardest every day to improve himself in some way. Whether it's trying to do better in school, trying to learn a new craft, or perfect an old skill. He's even tried some really out there attempts at his cutie mark. Do you know why?" Sombra continued to smile as Celestia's head slowly began to rise, eyes beginning to sparkle a little as she saw the real Sunny for the first time that night.

"Why does he try so hard?" Celestia asked, then took a moment to think. "Is it because he wants to impress his mother?"

Sombra half nodded in response, smile never fading. "I think it's that and a little more. He wants to find out who he is, as well as have stories to tell his mother. Things for him to share and make her smile. He doesn't like to talk about boring or sad stories. He rather talk about the fun times he's had. Whether it's learning to bake with Pappy, or scaling the castle wall, he wants the good times to always outshine the bad. That way, his mother won't worry about him when she's not there, but instead, wonder about what fun he's having or what trouble he's getting into."

Turning back to the little yellow colt, Celestia saw him talking happily with Smart Cookie and a few other earth ponies about the various deserts and dishes they made for the party. A small smile grew on Celestia's muzzle as her heart felt lighter. "She's proud of him, you know. Thinks about him all the time. And about you."

"I know" Sombra said, stepping closer to stand beside Celestia as they both continued to watch Sunny laughing and joking now with the members of the earth pony tribes. "He is so much like his mother, it's almost like she never really leaves us. I tell him that, and he gets so happy. But I think he's trying hard to be like me too. You know, I caught him the other day playing with his toy soldiers dressed in my spare cloak and armor."

"Did you make a picture of it?" Celestia asked, thinking the image of the young colt playing as his father would be a priceless moment that she's love to see. "I'm sure his mother would love to have it."

"I tried my best" Sombra replied with a heavy sigh. "But it came out scratchy on the plate I tried to imprint it on. Sorry."

"It's time every pony! It's time!" Chancellor Pudding Head called out with joyful glee. "The birthday girl's cake is ready! It's time for her to blow out the candles!"

Everypony stopped what they were doing and gathered around as a large cake was pushed out by three bakers! The cake was 8 layers high, with the bottom layer rounding about 10 feet in diameter, ascending to the top layer which was about a foot or so in diameter. The frosting was pearly white to match the birthday girl's coat, and decorated with purple frosting ribbons and bows. Some edible gold glitter was lightly sprinkled at the top of each layer. And inside was a rich chocolate cake with even richer chocolate icing between each layer! The earth pony tribe had certainly outdone themselves this time.

Another familiar face emerged from the crowd, one of Star-Swirl's greatest students, Clover the clever. As she elegantly waved her horn, all the candles on the cake took light. Everypony 'ooohed' and 'awwwed' at the sight of the cake all lit up. A few pegusi flew up and blew out the lights around the room, allowing the image of the cake and the birthday girl to be the only thing to be seen.

As Celestia approached the cake, ready to blow out the candles, she looked around to all the familiar faces of her guests. She had become very popular and very well liked, and it's not hard to understand why. She and her sister will usher in a new age for Equestrian, bringing ponies of all different kinds together and breaking down the wall that once separated the tree tribes. But as the sun princess's eyes wondered, they met the emerald green eyes of young prince Sunny once more. She seemed confused at first by the colt's reaction to the cake. He seemed... scared? No.... no that wasn't it... sad?

"Are you ready to blow out your candles, Sister?" Princess Luna appeared, her gaze slightly chilled to look at, but she had dressed herself in her most elegant black and royal blue dress for the occasion.

"Y-yes" Celestia cleared her throat. "Thank you sister."

"Don't forget to make a wish!" Smart Cookie chimed in, taking her hat off and holding it to her heart out of respect for the alicorn princess.

There was no hesitation as Celestia blew out the candles, her wish, a wish she had wanted to come true for many years, rang loudly in her head. A wish that her deepest darkest secret could be shared and a heavy burden she and a small hoof full of others could be liberated from. But as the last candle on the cake was blown out by Celestia's single breath of air, the sun princess knew that the wish would never come true.

After the guests retired to their rooms for the night or had left for their own homes, Celestia met with a few ponies in the kitchen. Walking through the kitchen doors, Celestia's smile grew once more as she caught the sight of King Sombra and his son at the table, a blue gift with green ribbon sat at the center of a small dinning table.

"Oh? What's this?" Celestia asked as she casually approached the table, knowing she didn't have to put on airs around the two ponies before her.

Sunny was nervous and turned his gaze away and rubbed the back of his hoof, almost as if he had done something wrong. Knowing why his son was acting like this, Sombra spoke up lightly. "Sunny wanted to give you his gift, after every pony left. He and Pappy worked hard on it."

Walking up to the gift, Celestia's golden magical aura surrounded the ribbon. Pulling the ribbon apart and lifting the box up, Celestia caught the sight of something that would forever be etched into her heart.

It was a cake. A small cake, about the size a regular family of four would share on any old birthday party. The frosting appeared to be a white buttercream, with several different kinds of sprinkles all around. And atop of the cake was a slightly sloppy drawing of Celestia's cutie mark in frosting. To most ponies it would have looked like something somepony through together at the last moment, but to Celestia, it was the most precious gift she had ever received.

"I know it's not as good as the other cake..." Sunny spoke up, his tone very low and quiet, almost as if he really didn't want to be heard, and wanted both his father and the sun princess to forget he was even there.

But to the young prince's surprise, he was instead met with a big, warm hug by the pearl white alicorn princess. While holding him, she told the little unicorn "it's the most beautiful cake I've ever seen. Thank you for working so hard on it."

A small smile grew on the young prince's face, pushing a small tear from the corner of his eye. Shanking it off, Sunny broke the hug and pulled out a cake knife. "Want to cut the cake?"

"Why don't I get that" Sombra spoke up. "Could you get the silverware and plates?"

"Sure!" Sunny said enthusiastically, eager to show off how much better he's gotten at using magic. Consintraiting as hard as he could, Sunny's green magical aura began to lightly wrap around three plates and three forks. Trying as hard as he could on the several items, Sunny then proceeded to levitate them to the table. They started off strong at first, but the closer the dishes and silver wear got to the table, the more they shook and dipped. Unlike the times Sunny's tried back at the Crystal Empire kitchen, all the table wear made it to the table without breaking. Once everything just barely made it to the table, Sunny released a held breath and was met with clapping hooves.

"Well done" Celestia congratulated the young unicorn. "Your skills have improved greatly."

"Your hard work has payed off" Sombra added, still clapping.

Sunny's small smile grew as his cheeks became slightly red, then another thought came to mind. "Wait! We have to put the candles on! You have to blow them out and get another wish!"

"I suppose your right" Celestia noted as she levitated three candles onto the uncut cake. After placing the three down firmly in the cake, Sombra kindly lit all three.

"Hey..." Sunny slightly muttered as he looked around. "Where's Luna? there's enough for her to have a slice, right?"

Celestia's heart was torn in two; she loved to see the young colt's companion extend for her dear sister, but was hurt at the same time for her sister's lack of enthusiasm. Luna had arrived and left only for the cake ceremony and for Celestia to open the gift she had revived from her sister. After that, Luna disappeared, most likely to retire to her room for the night. Whatever has gotten her upset will have to wait. Celestia would bring her sister a piece of Sunny's cake, but she wouldn't let Luna's foul mood ruin this precious moment.

"My sister isn't feeling well" Celestia answered the little colt. "But I'll save her a piece if you want."

"Yeah! I don't want her to be left out!" Sunny said with glee but pulled back some of his gusto. "I hope she feels better soon."

"I'm sure she'll be fine" Sombra intervened, then looked Celestia right in the eye and winked. "Time to make your second wish."

Once again, Celestia blew out the candles without a second thought. The same wish always on her mind and in her heart. She had made the same wish for years. Seeing the effort Sunny put into the gift, all the love that every tiny bite would have, filled Celestia's own heart with hope. Hope that, against the odds, her impossible wish would one day come true. If this moment could last forever in her memory, eternity wouldn't be so bad for the princess of the sun.

But nothing lasts for ever, and light sometimes gets overshadowed by darkness....




"Celestia, Is everything alright?" A mare walked into the kitchen and put her hoof on the while alicorn's shoulder, breaks the princess of the Sun from her trance.

Shaking herself from the nostalgia, Celestia shot R and R's mother a sincere smile and nod. "I am, thank you. Just... thinking. Thank you for the cake, by the way."

"That white one is yours" the generous mares said as she walked over and picked an apple off of the counter. "My boys get an awful case of the munchies, so I'll make you your own special ones, ok? Nothin mends a broken heart better then chocolate anyway."

This caused the solar princess to raise a shocked brow. "What would make you say-"

"I know what a broken heart looks like" the mare said as she began pealing and slicing her apple. "When R and R was younger, he ran away from home. Me and his father were out looking for him all over the place. While we looked, I grew more and more worried that something would happen to him. In our search, I caught a glimpse of my reflection in a window. My eyes were filled with pain and worry. Much like yours now.

"I don't know what pain you be feeling, Celestia, or where it be coming from" the mare continued as she put dry dishes away. "But I do know that time heals all wounds. We just have to keep strong and carry on."

Taking the mare's story in, Celestia sighed and just sliced herself a piece of cake. "A long time ago, I knew a very young colt. He was brave, smart, strong, and very, very outgoing. He shined just like the sun. But he was the son of a king. A king I was very close to... that young prince, he made me a cake, just like this one for my birthday. And to this day, I find cake to be absolutely relaxing. Every pony knows that. But they don't know why.... it's honestly because every time I have a slice of cake, it makes me think back to that birthday. That birthday that little colt tried his very hardest to make me a cake."

"He sounds like a very sweet lad" the mare commented.

"He was..." Celestia noted, but instantly took a large bite of the cake, hoping it would choke down the tears that were forming at the edges of her eyes.

After the mare nibbled on a few bites of an apple she had grabbed, she looked outside and remembered just what day it was today. "Oh my, ma'am! Isn't it the day of the Eclipse?"

Celestia stopped chewing. Even if the mare hadn't said anything, she knew what day it was. Celestia just wished she didn't. Yes, it was the day she and her sister shared and was supposed to be a joyous holiday, but this day only brought the princess of the sun painful memories to the surface. Memories of being alone for so many years. Without her dear sister, as well as without those two stallions...





A few months had passed since Celestia's birthday, and although she had been busy with plans of building a new town on Equestria's east coast, and dealing with interference from both Bug Bears and Dragons alike, Celestia had cleared her schedule, mostly, to help welcome and celebrate the birthday of her favorite little prince. Soleggiato Cavelere was celebrating his actual birthday with his father, but Celestia had promised a second small celebration the day after. Nothing better then getting twice the cake and presents, right?

"He should be arriving any moment now" Celestia said with glee as she patiently waited in the entry way with her best friend, Star-Swirl the bearded. "I can't wait to hear how his other birthday went."

"Oh, I'm sure he'll go on and on about what toys he got and how all his friends had fun with him, and whatever else he talks about." The old unicorn wizard said less then a little in enthusiastically as he rolled his eyes.

There were few things that got on Celestia's nerves, but Star-Swirl's attitude to the young prince really got under her skin. "Perhaps it would be wiser for you to tend to your books and scrolls for the evening."

"Perhaps you are right" Star-Swirl's sarcastic tone turned flat as he began to walk away, but paused again. "But first I think I shall stop in and check on your sister. She should be here too, shouldn't she? Or is it the job of her sister, and co-ruler of Equestria to tend to such things, not throw a second party for some spoiled little-"

"Ahem" a stallion coughed to catch Celestia and Star-Swirl's attention as well as to silence the old wizard before he said something he would really live to regret. At the front gate stood King Sombra and his less then joyful looking son.

Before anypony could say anything, Sunny ran off to the tower of Celestia's half of the castle that she gave him, deeming it a second room just for him. Tears were in his eyes and as he ran as fast as his tiny legs could carry him. Celestia wanted with all her heart to just run after him, but as she was about to make the leap, Sombra appeared by her side and put a hoof on her shoulder to stop her.

"Give him a second to cry it out. He's... had a rough day" the King told her, then shot a hard glance to the elderly wizard dressed with jingling bells. "And it seems he can't catch a break."

Celestia shot Star-Swirl a hard glare, sending a chill down the old unicorn's back. But tearing her anger filled eyes from the old colt and back to Sombra, Celestia's hard exterior melted away to a kinder side. "What happened? Was it his birthday?"

With a heavy sigh, Sombra lead Celestia out of the main room and down a private hallway, away from the old wizard and any other pairs of curious ears. "Everything was going as planned, the decorations were magnificent, the food was excellent, and despite how little he actually asked for, he had a mountain of presents and a cake twice as tall as he was. All his 'friends' arrived on time and appeared to be having fun playing the games, enjoying the food and over all being around Sunny..."

"But?..." Celestia pressed. She had never seen the little prince that upset before in his entire life.

"Sunny had stepped away from a game of pin the tail on the pony to use the bathroom, and when he came back, he overheard his 'friends' talking about him" Sombra said with a heavy sigh. "They were talking about how they were only friends with him because he was a prince, and made fun of him for not being better at magic or having the highest grades in the class, and even went as far as to call him a 'blank-flank'."

"I want the names of these foals and their parents" Celestia's eyes narrowed as her mane began to spark, a spat becoming fire. "No pony does that to Sunny."

"I've dealt with them" Sombra tried to put her more at ease. "Sunny wanted me to just tell them that he didn't feel well and to call the party to a close, sending them all away with a slice of cake."

"How could they?!..." taking several deep breaths, Celestia began to calm down. "... poor Sunny..."

"He really needs us, 'Tia" Sombra met the princess of the sun's gaze with his own worried eyes. "I wish I could stay, but there's been some suspicious movement in the north, and it might lead us to Princess Amore."

"Go" Celestia said immediately, knowing how important it was that the former Princess of the Crystal Empire was found. "I'll stay with Sunny. You know he can always consider this castle as home as well. It might even do him some good to get away from the Empire for a while."

"My thoughts exactly" Sombra agreed, glad that he and Celestia were on the same page.

After they finished their talk, Sombra and Celestia walked down the hallway That lead to Sunny's room. Although being part of a tower, the young colt's room was actually at the base, making it appear to be just a round room with a few slitted windows. The young colt was terribly afraid of heights, and hated being high up, but loved the tower room Celestia had given him.

After knocking on the door several times, and receiving no response, Sombra casually walked in to see his son asleep in his bed, pillow soaked with his tears. Wanting his son to just sleep this horrible birthday off, Sombra quietly walked over and silently wished his son a happy birthday, and reassured him the next one would be better. After bidding Celestia farewell, and thanking her for looking after him, the king of the Crystal Empire left the castle and made his way to the north, hopefully to find the missing princess.

After he left, Celestia walked into Sunny's room and stood next to his bed, brushing the colt's mane out of his eyes. "Your father's gone now, you don't have to pretend to be asleep anymore..."

Moments later, Sunny's eye gradually opened as he started off into the distance. "I hate friends... I wish I never talked to them..."

Feeling the pain behind his words, Celestia wanted nothing more then to pull him into a hug. As she wrapped her wings gently around the small colt, she took several deep breaths to calm herself down. "No, Sunny... real, true friends don't treat you like that. I'm so sorry they did that to you."

"Do you think if I was better at magic, or had my cutie mark, they would want to be my friends for real?" Sunny asked, his tone sounding slightly desperate and shaky as tears began to ball up at the edges of his eyes.

"Real friends, Sunny, don't care if you can use magic or have a cutie mark or not" Celestia cooed to him as she stroked his back gently with her wing. "They like you for who you are. Not 'what' you are or 'what' you have. But who you are without all of that."

Looking up at Celestia, Sunny began brushing away his tears. "How can I make friends if every pony just knows me as 'a talentless prince'?"

Ignoring the pain in his words, Celestia began thinking of a solution to his problem. Then it hit her. "How would you like to accompany me to the Eclipse festival? There would be ponies there who you've never met. And if you just introduced yourself as 'Sunny' not 'Soleggiato' then they'll think you're just a pony from around town. There are only small settlements around, no castles other then this, and probably no ponies from the Crystal Empire. What do you say? Would you like to make some friends from around here?would you like to just be 'Sunny' for a day?"

The thought of making friends, real, true friends did brighten Sunny up a bit, but as he rose up and began to think about it, his ears fell flat again. "But... but I'll have to go back to dad's castle at the Crystal Empire and leave any new friends here... I'll be alone again..."

Nudging the ready eyes colt with her cheek, Celestia met his watery eyes with her gentle gaze. "You can come back here whenever you like, I'm sure your father wouldn't mind. And you can write to them all the time. I'll have a Pegasus guard ready to deliver any and all messages to the friends you make. And vise versa."

"R-really?" Sunny's eyes then began to grow watery, but this time, with joy and relief. As he jumped into and tightly hugged Celestia. "You're the best princess ever... and I.... I love you..."

Smiling and tearing up herself, Celestia wrapped her wings around Sunny as well, embracing the little colt's hug as she whispered back "I love you too, Sunny..."



-Canterlot, present day-


Awakening from a dreamless slumber, Luna got up from her bed and stretched. The nap was very much needed, and helped put her tired mind at ease, if not for just a few hours. But as the princess of the night walked into her bathroom to wash up and get ready for the setting of the sun and raising of the moon, her hoof knocked something across the ground. Something Luna though she had lost over 1000 years ago. Levitating it up to her muzzle, she took a closer look at the crumpled up paper, bitter memories returning to her as she unwrinkled and flattened out the paper. Although her magic could repair the picture to almost being new, princess Luna wished to keep it as is. Much like the Tantabus that she created to haunt her with her mistake of becoming Nightmare Moon, Luna wished to remember how cruel and jealous she had become over just a foal. A foal who she regretted being so cold to in the past, and wished she could take it all back.

With a sigh, Luna hung the unwrinkled drawing up on her wall as a last monument to his honor. He was so proud of himself that day. Looking back, Luna wished she could have been half as proud as she should have been...





Walking down the seemingly endless hallways and pranking several of the night shift guards, Luna was beginning to feel better. Recently she had grown rather annoyed with the ponies who had come to pay her and her sister a visit. From noble ponies and royalty all the way down to the poorest of farm ponies, it seemed everypony who sought out the two sisters were really seeking out the eldest. She who raised the sun at dawn, she who brings light and peace to the land.

"How dare they" Luna snapped at her own thoughts. "We are just as important as our sister. Without our night how would they rest? How would others navigate at night without our beautiful stars?! Are all the wonders of the night lost to them? Overshadowed by-"

Just as the night princess was on a roll with her ranting, a yellow blur zoomed past her and right down the hallway leading into Sunny's room. Partly curious and partly annoyed, Luna decided to take a secret passageway that fed into a hallway that ran beside the open hallway and find out just what had happened, knowing full well her sister wouldn't bother to share the details with her.

Hiding behind a portrait of King Bullion himself, Luna overheard the conversation between King Sombra and her sister. At first, Luna was just interested in what had happened and could care less what Celestia or Sombra planned to do to aid the young prince. But as the story went on, and Luna heard the cruel words of Sunny's class mates, her bitterness melted, and she actually felt sorry for the little yellow colt. She watched as Sombra left, then made her way from the secret area behind the portrait to another hidden way behind the wardrobe in Sunny's room.

She couldn't make out all of what was being said, but was able to make out her sister inviting Sunny to the Eclipse Celebration as her honored guest, where he could make new friends with ponies who wouldn't recognize him. 'A smart move, dear sister.'

Luna was about to leave and get some rest for tomorrow, when she and we sister would work together to create a Solar Eclipse that would shine down on all of Equestria. It was actually an event that ponies recognized her as an equal to her sister, for once, and she did not want to appear tired or warn out.

"You're the best princess ever..." the words young Sunny spoke struck Luna hard. Out of the mouths of foals, Star-Swirl would always say.

The next day, out in a clearing of the surrounding forest, servants and volunteers from all over worked to set up for the Eclipse party celebration. As the ponies finished setting up a long table of food, a fraction smaller then the one Celestia had at her birthday, as well as several game booths that neither princess will be taking part in (Star-Swirl said it's not proper for a princess to do so.), Luna stood atop the podium in front a small monument of her moon. She was half looking over the preparations, trying her best to appear as regal as she could, and the other half noted how much shorter the moon monument was compared to her sister's sun monument.

"This is going to be so cool!" A small and high pitches voice said from behind the princess of the night.

Turning around, Luna was met with the wide eyed face of prince Sol-er, Sunny. She remembered he was asked to call him 'Sunny' today and just to treat him like anypony else, that way he could make some friends. She was more then happy to oblige, mostly because it meant she could ignore him if she wished. Although her feelings to the young prince were greatly warmer then Star-Swirl's, she still felt a hinge of spite for the little colt. His words from the night before still ringing like huge brass bells in her ears. 'You're my favorite princess...'

Bringing herself back to the present, Luna shook her head clear and looked down at the colt. "Yes. We agree. It will be 'cool', magnificent, a sight to behold!"

"Then why do you look so sad?" Sunny flatly asked, his green eyes locked on the lunar princess with great concern.

Luna, shocked by his statement, just glanced down at the young foal with a deadpan look. "Your confusing the refined royal appearance with sadness, young one."

"No I'm not" Sunny replied simply. "That's the same look dad gets when he thinks about mom. He misses her and tries to focus on his job as... ugh, his job, but he looks really sad, and I know it's 'couse he misses mom."

"I'm sorry to hear that. But I have nothing to be sad about" Luna replied and tried to throw the conversation out.

"Here! I made this for you!" Sunny then pulled out a rolled up piece of paper and levitated it over to princess Luna.

The princess of the moon then took it in her own blue magical aura and unraveled it, not really knowing what to expect. But as she did, and the contents of the page were made visible to her, any and all bitterness she had towards the colt faded away. It was a child's drawing of her and him standing outside of the castle looking up at the stars and the moon with a telescope.

"I don't know all the constellations" Sunny tried to point out. "But my dad's been teaching me some of them. Pappy too! But it's... kinda hard. Do you think you could help me with Astro-, ugh, astra..."

"Astrology?" Luna finished his sentence, a small smile beginning to grow on her muzzle as the sadness faded from her eyes. "We'd love to teach you of our stars and constellation."

"Yeah! Think we could do it tonight? After you bring out the moon?" Sunny was getting really excited as he bounced up and down lightly. "Who knows, maybe I'll even get my cutie mark in astrology! Wouldn't that just be the coolest!"

Looking down at the young colt, Luna couldn't believe what she was hearing. Normally only older ponies were even interested in astrology, but Sunny, he seemed genuinely enthusiastic about learning all he could. And even possibly getting a cutie mark in astrology?! Luna was absolutely flattered that he would even say such a thing. "That... sounds like a wonderful idea. Yes. We would love to teach you all we can about our stars, later tonight."

"Awesome!" Sunny cheered out then noticed more and more ponies had begun to gather at the celebration grounds, and thought it best that he join the crowd, not wanting to stand out in any way. "I'll be watching! You two are awesome!"

As Sunny skipped down off of the stage, Luna looked over and called a guard over. Not wanting to damage the picture Sunny made for her, as asked the guard to take it to her room. As he did so, Celestia appeared and joined her on stage. A decent crowd was coming together and time to cause the eclipse was drawing closer and closer. Just as how they could feel deep inside when it was time to raise and lower the sun and moon, both sisters knew when the time for an eclipse was as well. Like a feeling deep inside that couldn't be explained. Just known.

Clearing her throat, Celestia approached the front of the stage with her sister, who were quickly joined by Star-Swirl the bearded, much to Celestia's surprise. He smiled and nodded for her to continue, with a small smile hidden deep within his beard. The old wizard and the sun princess shared a glance before Celestia immediately turned back to the crowd.

"Welcome everypony, to yet another Eclipse celebration" Celestia spoke with a firm yet kind tone. "It is a special event we hold twice a year to remind Equestria that my sister and I, despite being in charge of night and day separately, are both equal and share the same strength. The Eclipse also shows how different entities, weather it's the sun and moon, or even three different pony tribes, can come together and live in harmony. Shinning over us all will be the product of light and dark, of sun and moon, and serves as a reminder that we all need to stand as one and work towards a-"

"What's going on over there?!" A mare cried out and pointed to the center of the crowd.

Celestia stopped her speech as princess Luna quickly joined her side, both trying desperately to see what was going on. Even the elderly wizard was pushing his way past ponies to see what all the commotion was about. The ponies near the center had begun to frantically step away from some colt who appeared to be glowing bright yellow, his mane and tail flickering around wildly as his eyes turned white and glowed like lantern light. Atop his head, his little yellow horn began to glow brightly with a light green aura that shot up into the sky.

A shadow then began to cast over the entire crowd below as the moon rose from the east, traveling at a steady pace towards the sun that hung high above everypony in the sky. Most of Equestria knew of the Eclipse and planned festivals on their own regions to commemorate the event. But ponies at the festival that took place so close to the castle of the two pony sisters were left speechless at what they saw. Some little yellow colt had projected so much magical energy, he himself was causing the Eclipse on his own! Something that only two dozen skilled unicorns or two majestic alicorn sisters were only able to accomplish up until then! Ponies didn't know whether or not to be afraid or in awe. All possible fear building up, though, quickly vanished as the moon took its position in front of the sun.

Once the sun and moon met in the center of the sky, a bright red ring streached out, and from it, cast an aurora like rainbow of light like none had seen before. Ponies all around looked to the sky and admired the magical lights the Eclipse brought. While most ponies looked to the sky, three ponies in particular were fixated on somepony closer to the ground.

Celestia jumped from the stage and flew to the cleared area around Sunny, who, remained glowing like a touch in the dead of night. Worried for the colt, Celestia reaches out with a hoof slowly to shake him clear, only for her hoof to be smacked away. After recoiling from the small hit, Celestia turned to glare at her attacker.

"We mustn't interfere" Star-Swirl proclaimed as he looked from the princess of the sun to the young colt controlling the sun and moon, showering all of Equestria in a breath taking rainbow of light. "If we do, it could hurt him."

"How is he able to do this?!" Luna joined her sister and mentor, a strong tone of outrage overpowering any concern in her voice. " 'We' are supposed to be the ones to cause the Eclipse. Our sister and I are the only ponies who are to control the sun and moon. Not some... some foal!"

"Will he be ok?" Celestia ignored her sister's annoyance as she focused on Star-Swirl, who studied the magic engulfed colt.

Narrowing his eyes on the colt, then turning to look at the sky above, then again back to Sunny, the old wizard stroked his beard, which made several of the bells on his hat ring lightly. "He's using everything he has to control the sun and moon. Once the Eclipse is over, he'll most likely be very tired and need a lot of bed rest. But we'll see. The Eclipse has several more seconds..."

Joining the other ponies around them, Celestia, Star-Swirl, and eventually, a reluctant Luna looked to the sky to witness the first Eclipse none of them had taken part in. It was completely different from when Celestia and Luna performed it. At best, they could create a similar red and yellow flaring ring around the sun and moon. The unicorns, back when they were in charge of the night and day, could only create a thin, almost whitish yellow ring. But this rainbow effect... what could it mean?

Several seconds passed, and as the moon began to fall across the sky to wait for the night to come and for it to take its place as the night's brightest light, the glow that surrounded Sunny began to fade. Slowly the moon disappeared, and as it fell out of sight in the west, the little yellow colt lost his glow, eyes returned to their green and white color, mane regained its messy and spiky shape, and all four of his tiny hooves met the ground once again.

Everypony held their breath as the yellow unicorn's eyes flickered, almost like he were waking from a deep sleep. Looking up, the colt was shocked to see everypony moved away from him, save for Princess Celestia and Star-Swirl, who had some how magically appeared by his side. Before the colt could ask what happened, he felt his knees give in and almost fell to the ground. Using her hoof to stabilize him, Celestia began to breath easily as she looked onto the young pony, relieved that he was alright.

"Ugh... what... happened?" Sunny tried to speak, but his throat was painfully dry.

Nudging behind him, Celestia spoke clear as a silver bell. "Somepony got their cutie mark."

Sunny's heart jumped into his throat as he quickly turned his head around to check his own flank, nearly losing his balance and falling over as he did so. But as Celestia's hoof stabilized him, and Star-Swirl stroked his beard pondering what this could all mean, Sunny's eyes grew to the size of dinner plates. Looking at his no-longer-blank-flank, where ponies are marked with an image of their talent, an everlasting mark of their destiny, lay an image of an eclipsed sun, with several flames emerging from the farthest end, where the moon began to slide away. Sunny couldn't believe what was going on, neither could anypony else, which is why Celestia thought it best to take charge of the situation. She didn't want to ruin this for Sunny, but if she didn't act fast, things might go worse then him just not making friends.

Raising the young colt up, Celestia proclaimed to everypony around. "Behold my fellow ponies, the future of Equestria has been blessed with yet another strong future leader, one who will carry on the hope and virtues into the dawning of a brighter, more united Equestria. Prince Soleggiato Cavelare! Son of King Sombra! Prince of the Crystal Empire!"

With thunderous applause, the ponies of the crowd quickly cheered for the colt and the promise of a new strong leader for Equestria. While most ponies cheered and chanted Sunny's official name, Star-Swirl stopped stroking his bearded and tore his eyes from the young prince and watched as princess Luna turned her own hate filled glare from the yellow colt, and flew off back to the castle. No pony else seemed to even notice the princess of the night leaving, mirroring her own sister's ignorance of the younger sister's dark feelings that brew hotter and hotter with every passing day.

Once back in the castle, Luna stormed back to her half of the castle an right into her room, slamming the door shut as hard as she could. The impact of the door created a strong breeze that sent Sunny's drawing flying off the dresser where the guard had left it, and sent it soaring, landing at the lunar princess's hooves. When she felt the paper ever so gently touch her, the alicorn levitated the paper up to her narrowing eyes, and with much detest and rage in her heart, crumpled it into tiniest ball she could before sending it through the window, and down into the gorge that surrounded the castle.

"Now no pony will even know I exist" Luna's words were hard and sharp as she turned away from the window and strolled over to her large bedroom mirror. Taking a good hard look at herself, tears began to roll down her cheeks. "I hate him. I hate sister for bringing him here. I hate Sombra for having him. And I hate her for helping to bring him into this world... why..."

Luna fell to her hooves tears rushing from the corners of her eyes. "Why can't I be loved too... I'm a princess too... I work hard... I deserve to be loved too... don't I?"




-Ponyville, Present day-


Despite the hustle and bustle around town, and even back at the farm, Sunny just felt down and mentally out of it. He had overheard that it was the day of the Eclipse, which like everything else, meant that it had a festival that ponies decorated, prepared games, and made a tone of food for. Thinking about it, the yellow unicorn was going to count the number of 'festivals', 'fairs' and 'parties' the ponies in town threw in a years time. At least 8 that the whole town took part in, but possibly more. But shaking that off, Sunny just couldn't get into the spirit. Most of the Apples could see it too. Even though they all were hard at work preparing for the festivities, Granny, Big Mac, and Apple Bloom all noticed an odd feeling coming from Sunny. It wasn't until lunch that somepony finally said something.

"Ya feelin' ok there, Sunny?" Granny asked as she motioned to his plate with her spoon. "Yer plate's normally licked clean by now. It taste funny er somethin'?"

The yellow stallion looked down and realized that he actually had not even taken more then a bite or two at his meal. Too many things on his mind, plus something... something else. He felt like he was forgetting something. Something he needed to do. Was it clean out the hen house? Re-water the pig pen? Clear the brush from the north orchard? Plant the new seeds in the south fields?... no... something else was tingaling in the back of Sunny's mind. Something important. But what?

"Sorry Granny..." the yellow unicorn got up, and dawned his Stetson hat. "Guess ah ain't hungry as ah thought. You want the rest, Big Mac?"

"Eh'yep!" The big red farm pony jumped a the thought of seconds, having just finished his first plate.

Granny and Apple Bloom shot him a dirty look, making the red earth pony hesitate from digging into the food he was just given.

But Granny didn't want to give up. It wasn't good for a pony to work on the farm on an empty stomach. "Ah could make ya somethin' else. How 'bout some apple soup, or some of mah' prize winning apple cobbler!"

"No thanks, Granny" Sunny replied, head hanging low. "Ah think ah'm gunna go for ah walk. Get some fresh air..."

As Sunny walked out of the kitchen and down the dirt road heading across a field of half ready to harvest carrots, something fell from his hat. Appel Bloom noticed it and immediately hopped down to grab it. She was about to go give it back to Sunny when she noticed it was addressed to him. She didn't want to be nosy, but at the same time, something inside might have been the thing bothering him. Without a second thought, the little yellow filly flipped the envelope open and pulled the letter out. As her eyes quickly skimmed the page once over, her jaw half dropped.

"Whatcha got here, Apple Bloom?" Granny asked as she went to the fridge to get herself a second cup of prune juice.

"It's a letter to Sunny" she told her granny. "From his daddy!"

"His daddy?!" Granny and Big Mac said simultaneously, shocked to hear anything about Sunny's blood relatives.

"Not just that" Apple Bloom went on. "It sounds like he ain't feel in' well. From what he wrote, he's gettin' better. But he also said Sunny's birthday's comin' up and he'll send a gift to th' farm!"

"Well ah'll be!" Granny said with a grin and the rubbed under her chin. "No wonder th' fella ain't got no appetite! His daddy's gunna be in th' hospital, and on his birthday no less!"

"He ain't never mention his daddy before" Big Mac added, concern heavy in his voice.

"Maybe he just remembered who his daddy was, and is down 'bout him not feeling well" Apple Bloom guessed. "And 'round his birthday on top of it!"

"Well shoot! We should throw him ah big old birthday party right here! Right at th' Apple farm!" Granny suggested as she slapped her knee.

"And we can invite all his friends!" Apple Bloom cheered and threw her front hooves up in the air in all the excitement.

"Eh'yep " Big Mac agreed, already thinking up a list of Sunny's closest friends.

"Do ya think Applejack and the others'll be back in time for it?" Apple Bloom asked, the thought just hitting her.

"Hmmm...." Granny calmed herself down and began thinking of how much longer her eldest granddaughter would be gone. "Should only be another day or two. Everypony should be back bah then."

"But ah doubt we'll get Pinkie's help with it" Apple Bloom commented. "They might just barely get back in time."

"We, we can handle ah' little ok' birthday on our own, can't we?" Granny shot her grandkids a smile. "We're Apple's after all! We keep this ok' farm ah goin'! We can make ah' birthday happen, can't we?"

"You bet!" Apple Bloom cheered. "And ah' could get Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo ya help out too!"

"Thunderlane might be free ta lend ah hoof too" Big Mac added in.

"Let's do it, ya'll!" Granny said and got the other two to cheer with her.





Walking deeper and deeper into the orchard, Sunny could barley walk strait. His head felt like it was a balloon full of jumping beans. His vision began to blur as he aimlessly wondered around the orchard. He kept walking and walking until he came to a clearing in the orchard he didn't recognize. He stumbled into the center of the clearing, and just when he felt like his head was about to pop, a large surge of magic exploded, cloaking him in a bright green, almost white, magical aura. His mind went blank as a cloak of his blinding magical aura consumed him.

Meanwhile, everypony, dragon, parasorite, hydra, and then some, from every corner of Equestria, looked up to the sky and witnessed the scheduled Eclipse. But unlike the eclipses that took place over the last 1000 years or so, this one was a reinacment of the ones that the former prince of the Crystal Empire would perform. It was then that secrets once hidden in shadow were revealed and brought to light.

Despite the actual rulers of the Crystal Empire being away for the moment, all the Crystal Ponies were in high spirits for their own Eclipse festival. They didn't know why, but they had a lot of decorations for the event, almost as many as for the Crystal fair itself! Most of the residents of the Crystal Empire were half way through a dance competition when the actual Eclipse began. And as the moon rose high into the sky, casting a shadow over the sun, a far too familiar feeling began to light up inside of the crystal ponies. Once the moon was in its rightful position, directly in front of the sun, a bright red and yellow flaring circle began to flow around it, and from the flames a rainbow like aura began to spread down over the rest of the sky. As the magical rainbow of colors danced and flowed down from the black and flairing orb in the sky, something else sparked deep inside the Crystal ponies hearts.

"Wow, Luna really out did herself this time" Twilight said atop the balcony of the Crystal Empire castle, where she and her friends had gathered to watch the event.

"It's ah darn shame that Princess Celestia herself ain't takin' part in it this year" Applejack commented, readjusting her hat, hoping the view of the Eclipse is just as breathtaking from Sweet Apple Acres as it was from there.

"Darling, sometimes a girl has to treat herself to a little rest and relaxation" Rarity commented. "Besides, Luna looks like she has everything under control here. Just look at those colors! Have you ever seen anything more magnificent?!"

"Eh, my sonic rain boom is waaaay cooler then that!" Rainbow Dash noted, but bobbed her head a little. "But I guess it's a close second."

"Oh, I hope Angel and the others don't get spooked by the Eclipse" Fluttershy started to worry about her animals yet again.

"I wouldn't worry about him or the others, Fluttershy" Twilight tried to reassure we kind hearted friend. "I'm sure Flitter and her sister are taking good care of them."

"Oh, I know, it's just-" Fluttershy was about to list off a number of ridiculous sounding fears when a food tray with a rather large cake appeared in front of them.

"Dig in everypony!" Pinkie Pie yelled, walking up with an elderly looking earthpony stallion. "Pappy and I worked supper-d-dipper hard on this cake! And there's plenty for everypony!"

"Sounds good to me, let's celebrate everypony" Twilight suggested as Pinkie began cutting into the cake.

When Applejack grabbed a small slice for Pappy, she noticed him looking up at the sky, a smile stretching from ear to ear, stretching his wrinkly skin and making him look twenty years younger. "You hungry, Pappy?"

At first, the elderly pony didn't reply, then he looked over to Applejack and the slice she was offering and took it in hoof. "It is worth celebrating, isn't it?"

"Sure is" Applejack agreed and handed him the slice.

Down below, the rest of the Crystal Empire was alive with buzzing whispers. Many thoughts and memories came flooding back with this year's Eclipse. The ponies in town, the shop owners, even the royal guards all stopped and began talking about that pony. It reminded them of somepony, sompony who was very important to them. Somepony who went missing 1000 years ago, and did not return when the Empire did. Somepony very close to the dark king, Sombra who enslaved them.





Princess Luna had stepped out onto the balcony of the Canterlot castle but a few moments ago to witness the sight of the Eclipse. "Sister must have decided to do it herself this year... she must need it for closure..."

The princess of the night felt her heart fall deeper into her stomach as guilt began to grow. 'I wish I could take back everything I said. Everything I did. I... I wish I could have been better to him... I'm so sorry Sunny... I'm so sorry sister...'




As Celestia put her plate in the sink, she caught a glance of the Eclipse outside. She had hoped Luna would perform it all on her own, just as Celestia had to do for 1000 years. '1000 years without Sunny... without Sombra.... without you dear sister... and without Star-Swirl... why was fate so cruel...'

Despite her head telling her to stay inside, Celestia's body pulled her out into the open air to witness the Eclipse. All over, the sky was painted with an odd array of colors, a rainbow effect, much like the one... the ones 'he' used to do...

Celestia couldn't hold it in any longer, just like all other ponies in Equestria, when she felt a strong surge of emotion, she had to release it in some way. And just like other ponies in Equestria, the easiest way was to sing. For singing was a way for a pony's heart to reach out and take flight....

(https://youtu.be/SKY7C_U_G9M)

As she wrapped up her song, the princess of the sun realized she had walked into the water on the beach, her eyes still locked on the now passing Eclipse. It felt like it had stayed for hours, despite only lasting a few minute. She just wished it had stayed longer. Seeing it in the sky like that reminded her so much of him... so much of the bravest Knight she knew, the kindest prince, the sweetest stallion she ever knew...

"Why... why did you take him away Sombra...." without thinking of how she must have looked to anypony watching, Celestia stood up on her back hooves only to slam down her front hooves in frustration and anger, hitting the water, splashing it violently, expelling all the pain she held inside. "WHY?! WHY DID YOU TAKE HIM AWAY! WHY DID YOU TAKE HIM AWAY FROM ME! WHY?! WHAT DID HE EVER DO YO YOU?! WHY! DIDN'T! YOU! TAKE! ME! INSTEAD!!!!"

After thrashing a round for a few more moments, Celestia's anger and rage depleted and she fell to her knees, eyes full of tears now. As the waves washed up and hit the pearl white princess, R and R'S mother walked out to her and draped a towel around the pain stricken mare, then helped her back to shore.



As Sunny subconsciously began to end his first Solar Eclipse in over 1000 years, his body began to return to normal, no more glowing or flailing fire like hair, as he floated back down to the ground. Once safely back down, he took several deep breaths, trying to get used to the expelled pressure his head now felt. Now the balloon was deflated, with most of the beans expelled from it. He almost fell asleep there, but thought it would be best to get back to the farm house and crash on his bed.

As the yellow stallion wobbled back down a path he knew would lead him back to the farm house, a familiar orange filly popped her head out of the bushes, unable to put together what she just witnessed. Scootoo had never seen something so amazing and scary before. She wanted to tell Sweetie Bell and Apple Bloom, but maybe she should wait. Something told her to just keep it to herself right now. Maybe wait until Rainbow Dash came back. She'd know what to make of it.

Author's Note:

A special shout out to Brandon Pratt, my brother, for looking over and editing this special chapter for me. He's been my best bud for years now, he knows all about Sunny and the fic and always stays up to date. Thanks Brandon, for everything!

PreviousChapters Next