• Published 28th Nov 2015
  • 1,915 Views, 31 Comments

Sunny Knight: a Pony's Tale - TheothersideofSunny968



A story of love, loss, pain, and how finding and making friends is as easy as giving an honest smile.

  • ...
13
 31
 1,915

PreviousChapters Next
Troubled Moon, mountains walk

After arriving in Canterlot, Twilight wanted to check in with her parents, but knew duty came before pleasure. Pinkie, on the other hoof, said she had other business to attend to and would be along shortly. The pink pony told Twilight not to worry, that she wouldn't be needed in this chapter and had to set something up for a future one, whatever that meant. The purple alicorn chalked it up to 'Pinkie being Pinkie' and left it as is without putting in much thought. Twilight and Spike made their way right through the front doors of the Canterlot castle, from there they were lead down a hallway and into Luna's private study. It was there that Twilight came face to face, er, muzzle to muzzle with a very tired looking princess Luna.

"We are glad you could make the journey on such short notice, Twilight Sparkle" Luna commented, then shot a small smile at both her and her assistant a small grin. "We only wish our meeting could be on better terms."

"It's ok, Princess Luna" Twilight shot the other alicorn a gentle smile. "What's the matter? What can I help with?"

"As I'm sure you are aware, our sister is on... a leave of absence" Luna began, walking over to a table and gathering some vacuous papers. "I assume you kept this a secret, as she and I requested?"

"I have" Twilight started, eyes veering over to the papers Luna had in front of her. "Is Princess Celestia ok? Will she be returning soon?"

Pain and worry shot across Luna's muzzle as she forced herself to look away. "We wish not to force our sister's return. She... needs time to heal from ... a loss."

Not wanting to press the matter further, Twilight changed the subject. "What are those papers?"

"These are reports and as much information that could be gathered on a rather disturbing phenomenon...." Luna began to explain as she levitated the pile of papers over to Twilight, pulling a few out to present separately as visual aid. "There have been riots all throughout Equestria, all with a similar theme; 'anarchy'. "

"'Anarchy'?" Spike repeated the word as he scratched his head, looking over a picture of an alicorn statue being pulled down by several angers looking ponies.

"It seems that large groups of ponies started a movement to remove out sister and the rest of royals from power, seeing us as tyrants and abusing our powers." Luna explained, pulling out a few documents in particular.

"But that's ridiculous!" Twilight was beside herself. "You, Cadence and Princess Celestia all have protected the ponies of Equestria and earned your right to rule!"

"We agree with you, Twilight Sparkle" Luna passed the document over to Twilight after she went over it to make sure it was the correct one. "Which is why I wanted you to see this..."

Taking the paper form Luna, Twilight began reading at top speed to absorb the information the fastest. She paused once she finished reading the paper, then reread it to make sure what she read was true.

"You have dealt with a similar incident not that long ago, did you not?" Luna asked, referring to when Twilight revisited Canterlot High.

"So... you think the sirens are up to this?" Twilight asked, looking at the picture of a new up and coming pop star filly.

"No, Twilight Sparkle. We believe that somepony is forcing that young one to perform against her will." Luna explained. "When you go over the other papers, you'll find documentation of a trio of siren sisters, different from the ones you've encountered, that our sister had aided long ago. The filly in the picture looks identical to the youngest siren sister we have on file."

"So you want me and the girls help the siren eacape?" Twilight raised a brow to Luna.

"We're afraid it is not that simple" the princess of the night explained further. "From what information we could gather, the younger one is the only one of the three sisters ever seen in the open. That means the other two are elsewhere, possibly being held prisoner. We would try and use the dream realm to seek them out, but somepony is blocking me, preventing us from doing so.

"Which is why we need you and your friends to get to the bottom of this" Luna sighed as she put a hoof to her head. The papers she was levitating fell when she did.

"Princess Luna!" Twilight ran to Luna's aid, followed by Spike who had acquired a glass of water.

"Ugh... we... we are ok, Twilight Sparkle" Luna told the younger alicorn. "We have just... been tired. Raising both sun and moon is taxing enough, but there are the common royal duties that we must deal with now as well."

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Twilight helped Luna up and over to a chair.

As princess Luna sat, she forced a smile at Twilight. "Putting a stop to these riots 'will' help, Princess Twilight. We trust you can do this."

Gathering all the papers and placing them in a neat little pile, Twilight shinned with bravado and pride as she told Luna "don't worry, Princess Luna. We'll have those riots stopped in no time!"

Luna smiled at Twilight's confidents, but deep down, the princess of the night was very worried. 'For our sister's sake, we hope so...'



Later that night, after a wonderful and relaxed dinner with her mom and dad, Twilight and Spike settled into Twilight's old room (which her mom made sure to keep just the way Twilight left it.) for a good night's rest. Pinkie had joined them shortly after dinner, and had taken to Shinning's old room for the night. They would need all the rest they could get for the task at hoof.

The next concert was in a week, and she would need to sit down and talk with the girls about a possible plan. But just like any other time when Twilight's mind was full of worry, she couldn't sleep. Looking over at the clock, she saw it was two in the morning. With a sigh, the princess of friendship forced herself up and out of bed. There was only one remedy for her not being able to sleep, it was a trick her mother found out when Twilight was but a little filly. And that was a tall glass of milk. The same trick had helped the princess of friendship for years, there was little doubt that it wouldn't work now.

Walking out of her room, quietly down the hall and slipping past her parents room, trying not to wake them, Twilight arrived in the kitchen. She flicked on a candle and set it on the counter, that was thankfully clear of any and all items. But after grabbing the milk from the fridge and a glass from the cabinet, Twilight returned to the counter to find something waiting for her there.

Placing the milk and glass gently down, Twilight picked up the item and looked it over. It was a book. More importantly, it was a book from 'her' castle's library back in Ponyville. "How did this get here?"

Looking around and casting a light glowing spell, Twilight saw that she was indeed all alone in the kitchen with no sign that anypony had been there. Turning back to the book, Twilight looked it over and smiled. It was one of her favorite children's story books. There were tales of knights, wizards, monsters, and all sorts of magical adventures bound within it's pages. But something out of place immediately caught her eye. Somepony had left a book mark in the book. Curious and cautious, Twilight opened the book and looked at the marked page.

"The pony who woke up the mountains..." Twilight remembered reading this story a few times when she was younger but thought it was kind of lacking in a lot of departments. The story was short, lacked much conflict, and honestly seemed to be missing some larger part of the story. Like somepony just took part of a really long story and put it randomly in another book. Right when Twilight was about to close the book and forget about about the whole thing, the book mark caught her eye.

Looking it over, the book mark had titles of other books written all over it, along with certain page numbers. Putting a hoof to her chin and patting it as Twilight often did when she began thinking about something, the princess of friendship then turned to the story and began reading it for the first time in years;


There once was a wide mountain range that stretched on for miles and miles. The mountains themselves were black as coal, and nothing ever grew on them. Ponies who tried to build on the mountain soon found their structures demolished either by an earth quake or burned down mysteriously. Most ponies stayed far away from the mountain. But one day, a yellow unicorn appeared in a near by village, looking with narrow eyes at the supposedly cursed mountain.

He had asked the ponies in the near by village if they had a hot air balloon he could barrow, along with a telescope. He claimed he wanted to get a better look at the mountain side. The towns folk provided the yellow stranger with what he asked for, and watched him ascend into the sky. The strander floated until he was just a speck in air. After several moments, the stranger returned to the ground and thanked the townsfolk for their aid, paying them a fair amount of gold before running off towards the cursed mountains.

The townsfolk thought he was odd, but it was not uncommon for ponies to want to examine and study their cursed mountains. And so, Everypony went back to what they were doing before the yellow stranger came to town.

Not long after the stranger left, was there an earthquake, not just one that shook the mountain, but one that shook the surrounding villages and the forests as well. That was when Everypony turned and watched as the black mountains of the west began to shake and move!

From beneath them, several large limbs arose, pushing large amounts of dirt, rocks and trees along with them! Large bat like wings spread all across the sky, casting a shadow over the towns and near by forests. Just when Everypony was panicking and packing to leave the village with their families, the mountains gathered and formed a mighty beast!

A dragon larger then mountains themselves now stretched and yawned as it arched its neck and its fiery eyes looked down and saw what had awoken it.

Before it stood the yellow pony from before. Looking up at it with no fear in his heart what so ever.

"What is it....you desire?!" The dragon's booming voice could be heard for miles as he spoke to the yellow stranger.

Whatever the yellow stranger told him, only the large black dragon could hear.

The black dragon's eyes narrowed on the yellow stranger before releasing small flames from it's mighty nostrils. "A noble cause... very well...Knight....I shall give you... what you ...desire. Keep in... mind... I shall... be keeping... an eye... on you..."

Moments after placing his claws over the yellow stranger, the giant black dragon stood fully up, it's head reaching up and into the clouds, and with a single mighty jump, vanished into the sky!

Many ponies had many questions about what exactly just happened. But after that, the yellow stranger, now clad in armor as black as the mountains once were, raced too fast through town, unwilling to stop to answer those questions. To this day, no pony knows what the stranger asked the mighty black mountain dragon, nor why the stranger was in such a hurry.

But what is for sure is in this magical world of wonder, no pony should see things as just the way they look. Or rather, things are not always as they seem...



Twilight stood there, looking at the book for a good long minute. Just starting. She had read that story before, passed it up several times to read more about the prince and the merpony, but never had she ever put much thought into it. Now, after hearing and learning about Sunny's true identity and his story of how he obtained his Black Knight armor and title, her mind was blank for a moment with shock.

The moment of shock and awe was short lived as Twilight looked at the page number on the story she just reread and the bookmark that had several more reference book titles and numbers written down. 'The pony who woke up the mountains' was the first book on the list. Looking over the list again, Twilight was shocked to see that all the books she had back at her library!

"I think I have some reading to do" Twilight said with an eager grin.

PreviousChapters Next