• Published 28th Nov 2015
  • 1,915 Views, 31 Comments

Sunny Knight: a Pony's Tale - TheothersideofSunny968



A story of love, loss, pain, and how finding and making friends is as easy as giving an honest smile.

  • ...
13
 31
 1,915

PreviousChapters Next
Tirekerse

The world had changed again, or did it? Sunny's head was spinning. What was going on? It was like he had several different memories of things that did or didn't happen. Things that took place at the same time, but not at the same time. Did he really go to a place called Ponyville? Did he wander there or was he advised to go? Did he have a group of friends, or was he alone? Was there a war going on or was he supposed to be guarding a hideout? Where was he before he awoke from his slumber, in Nightmare Moon's castle or the Crystal Empire? All he knew and could trust was what he saw right in front of him. Which is why when he emerged from a large crater, having been released from his 1000 year nightmare, Sunny swore to avoid everypony else and try and figure this out on his own.

After his metior crashed, Sunny emerged from the crash site, hooves hitting the ground running. He took note of everything around him. The rock that he must have emerged from that was now shattered. The surrounding forest that was neither tame nor completely taken over. He then climbed the highest tree, looking out at the world of Equeatria around him. All seemed, well relatively fine. But Sunny couldn't be certain. Perhaps it was best that he lay low until he could piece this all togeather, he thought.

For months, Sunny took refuge in a hillside cave that he kept hidden from the rest of the world as he documented everything from his memories, writing it all down on giant leaves. He then proceeded to decorate the walls of the caves with the leaf documents, connecting various ones that linked with sting or thin vines. Sunny, without anypony noticing him, had visited not only Ponyville, the closest town to his cave, but other major areas that he had memories of. Canterlot. A local apple farm. A not so local rock farm. And what had recently shown up, the Crystal Empire. He had taken notes on all of them, listening to recent events that ponies talked about, the headlines of various news papers, as well as what Sunny could see himself.

"I need to find out more" Sunny would mutter to himself. "This will all makes sence, I'm sure. But I need more information. More information will tell me what went wrong."

While listening to some mares talk one day, he caught a glimpse of himself in the reflection of a window and took more notes on his changed appearance. His mane had become twice as long, rather shaggy, with twigs and dirt collecting in various parts of it. As well as a scruffy five o'clock shadow had taken residence on his muzzle. His body itself had also been effected by his new life style, his coat fadding to a bleached yellow due to lack of sunlight, and his muscle mass had all but depleted, leaving an exposed rib cage and verdigris on his back. But it didn't matter what he looked like. Sunny was on a mission. He had to discover the truth, but he had to do so while keeping his distance from everypony. No pony could know who he was or that he was there.

'Yes', he thought, 'if no pony knows Sunny, none of the bad endings can come to be, right?'

All the terrable worlds Sunny experianced he classified as 'bad endings' because they seemed like the terrable endings to an otherwise good story.

The next day, Sunny had awoken before the sun rose, to begin another day of hiding while gathering information, only to emerge from his cave to see a giant centar like monster, as big as a mountain, shooting blasts of Tartarus fire at the world around him! In the distance, Sunny could see the town known as Ponyville was in shambles, burning buildings, ponies screaming. Up atop the mountain where the city castle known as Canterlot lnce stood, now nothing. It was as if the entire mountain top was blasted into oblivion! Sunny stood at the entrance of his cave for a moment, before retreating back inside, slowly, and shutting the cave entrance behind him. He moved slowly and sat right in the middle of all his leaf notes and vines that connected ones to one another, looking over his mess. It was chaos, but order at the same time. Looking around, going through the time lines, event after event, none of it made any sence. It all looked like parts of the same story, but different. Like somepony just erased parts of history itself and redid it...

Sunny didn't know if he should trash his work, finding it all to be garbage at this point, to write down the centar attack and add it to the recent list of events, or to jump out of his cave and go and help the ponies he knew were in serious danger. Looking down at his own hooves, frail and shaking, he realized that in the pursuit of the truth, he had sacrificed his health and physical strength. He couldnt even beat Snips or Snails in a hoof wrestling contest now, let alone some gian centar.

"What is my purpose?" Sunny asked himself. "Why am I even here!? If my talent was to see the good in everything and everypony, then why could I not help those in need? Why is it my words and actions always fall so short!? Why? Why!? WHY!?!?"

As Sunny screamed why for several more moments before falling into a fetal position, curled up on the cold stony ground while crying to himself, the wavering darkness returned, the darkness that appeared just before everything was rewound. Sencing this, Sunny jumped up, looked frantically around, recognizing what was going on.

"Its changing again! Yes!" He began to cheer, unsure if he was happy or frightened at what was to come. But either way, he was done with this reality he had been living in. "Please! Please let the next one be better then this! Please!"

And with that, the world shifted in darkness once again. Sunny passed out and mind went blank as time was once again altered, the clock this time being wound too slowly, and chaos broke out sooner rather then later…

PreviousChapters Next