• Published 28th Nov 2015
  • 1,913 Views, 31 Comments

Sunny Knight: a Pony's Tale - TheothersideofSunny968



A story of love, loss, pain, and how finding and making friends is as easy as giving an honest smile.

  • ...
13
 31
 1,913

PreviousChapters Next
Stone apologies and marshmallow memories

- east orchard after dark-

The girls pushed threw the black and grey fog unknowing of what lay at the end in the heart of the glowing green light. It didn't take them long to reach it. The light showed the horrible figure of the shadow king himself even threw all the smoke and darkness. The sun had now fully set, but the girls didn't need the rays of the sun to see the monster that stood before them.

"Alright Sombra, it's over!" Twilight called out to him.

But something was wrong. He didn't answer. Didn't reply. He didn't even move. He just stood there, atop of a rock, in a triumphant pose. As if he had already won.

Twilight squinted her eyes at him, then, with a flick of her glowing horn, she pushed the black clouds away with her magic. Revealing a statue of King Sombra, in a triumphant pose over some stallion dressed in Crystal empire armor, the stallion lay defeated under the hooves of the dark king.

"It's just a statue" Rarity said, looking all around it. " a very well done statue, high quality work, very accurate, but just a stone statue."

"Ummm... Girls" Fluttershy began to speak up.

"Is this what Sunny saw?" Rainbow asked. "A statue?! We came rushing I here to fight a statue?!"

"Girls..." Fluttershy tried to speak a little louder.

"But how did it get in here?" Applejack began looking all around the statue. "Ah don't see no trail marks of somepony pullin a cart around or nothin'."

"Girls?" Fluttershy was now at a indoor tone of voice.

Twilight looked the statue up and down. "Where could this have come from? Maybe if I perform a train spell, I could track down the rout that somepony who might have-"

"GIRLS!!!" Fluttershy now shouted. All her friends stopped and looked at the timid young Pegasus.

"Oh? You say something Fluttershy?" Pinkie asked. "I was just reading the message on the statue over and over again. Trying to figure out if there's a secret message encoded in it or maybe some smaller words written in each letter or-"

"What message?" Twilight asked as all the girls gathered around the side of the statue that pinkie was looking at.

There was a message etched into the rock. Twilight looked it over and read the words over and over again. But couldn't make since of it. She looked back at the statue, how Sombra looked, and how the stallion in Crystal empire armor looked laying down in a defeated position under the king's hooves. The stallion's face looked like it had been scratched off, but Sombra only looked violently triumphant.

"I don't understand, why would that be written..." Rarity chimed in after reading the message herself.

"Ah know... Why would that be engraved into such an evil statue?" Applejack pondered.

Twilight muttered the words engraved at the statues base out loud, hoping it would make more sence. "'I'm Sorry. I'm so sorry...'"

"I don't get it!" Pinkie Pie started looking over the statue herself, hooping and pooping out of everywhere.

"But girls, look!" Fluttershy pointed at Sombra's face.

"What is it Fluttershy?" Twilight asked, moving towards her quiet friend, trying to see what she saw.

"It looked like the statue was crying" Fluttershy admitted.

"But that's impossible, Darling" Rarity commented, waving a hoof. "Statues don't cry."

Applejack jumped up and looked into the face king Sombra's statue, saw some white marks trailing from the eyes, like dried water, then licked them. The girls looked disgusted at their overly daring friend. Well, all except Pinkie Pie.

"Oh oh! What does it taste like?! I bet it taste like-" she was about to list off a number of sugary things she hoped they tasted like, but was quickly stopped before she could begin.

"Salt water..." Applejack looked back at the group in horror. The rest of the girls froze just as shocked as the orange farm pony.

"Wait...." Rainbow began to speak with a slight shake in her voice. "Y-you don't mean...."

"Tears..." Twilight finished we sentence. "But that's..."

"Impossible..." Applejack finished this time, jumping down from the statue.

The girls didn't know what to say or do. The statue was a complete mystery, one that just added to the pile of things yet needed to get figured out.

-Carousel boutique-

"So Sunny, what is your cutie mark?" Scootaloo asked as she sat down with her cup of hot cocoa.

"Yeah! How did you get it!?" Sweetie bell smiled as she scooted closer to him, looking up at him with her big light green eyes.

"Sorry ladies," Sunny half smiled. "I don't really remember... And as far as I can tell.... It looks like..." Sunny looked at his flank which had what looked like a grayish blob on it. Almost a perfect circle of one, but missing a small sliver.

"Maybe you used to work on a rock farm!" Apple Bloom suggested as she blew on her cocoa. "And it means yer hard as a rock."

"It doesn't look like he's hard as a rock" Scootaloo commented as she began looking Sunny over, thinking he looked no different then any other stallion from town. No more toned or buff.

"Maybe he's like Maud, and he only looks like a regular pony, but he has really super strength!" Sweetie Bell pumped her front legs, striking several poses, almost knocking her cocoa over.

This just made Sunny laugh a little. "You girls. Are you always like this?"

The three crusaders looked at each other, shrugged, then Apple Bloom looked back at Sunny with a confused look on her face. "Ah guess so. Why? Is it bad?"

Sunny shook his head. "Not at all. I kind of like it. You all seem so... So carefree. Is the whole town like that?"

"Yeah, for the most part" Scootaloo answered before taking a sip of her cooled cocoa.

Sunny looked into his cocoa, blew into it a bit, then took a sip of the sweet, warm, chocolatey beverage. For a moment, he thought he had remembered something. A warm crack along fire, sipping coco, snow falling... And ... And...

"Is something wrong Sunny?" Sweet Bell asked.

Sunny snapped out of it, shook his head and looked at the innocent filly. "Oh, ugh, sorry just thinking..."

"Thinkin' bout what?" Apple Bloom pressed.

"Just how this would be better with marshmellows!" Sunny said, jumping to his hooves, smiling at the fillies who smiled back. "Who wants some?!"

"Me! Me! Me! Me!" They all called out at once, smiling and bouncing up and down.

"I'll be right back! Don't go anywhere or I'll get aaaallll the marsh mellows to myself!" Sunny told them as he went into the kitchen, ignoring the confusion of emotions he felt at that odd moment, the moment he thought about a warm fire with the first fall of snow....

PreviousChapters Next