• Published 28th Nov 2015
  • 1,915 Views, 31 Comments

Sunny Knight: a Pony's Tale - TheothersideofSunny968



A story of love, loss, pain, and how finding and making friends is as easy as giving an honest smile.

  • ...
13
 31
 1,915

PreviousChapters Next
Out With Good Behavior

Deep beneath Equestria's surface, in the darkest realm of existence lies the realm of Tartarus. A place where the most vile, most destructive, and unforgivable creatures reside. Locked up for all eternity, the monsters that are forced to call this terrible place home are guarded by a creature that harbors even greater strength then them. Emissary of Tartarus itself, the mighty three-headed dog, Cerberus. Day and night, the Beast guards the monsters are in their holding cells, making sure none of them escape. Despite their own frightening, terrible and awesome power, none could compete with Cerberus. His might was a force of nature. Not many could tame or bend him to their will. Not anything until Tartarus, that is.

Gifted with an heightened sense of smell, eagle like sight for all three pairs of eyes, and a sixth sense that could alert him to any trouble that could or is going down, Cerberus is the ultimate guard dog. There's just one thing that could elude him.

As the three-headed black dog walked up and down the cells, making sure they all were secure, something in the shadows began to move. Instantly, Cerberus jumped into action and began barking. After a moment, the giant three headed dog sniffed the air. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. So with one huff from his nostrils, the beast continued his rounds, missing the shadows moving once more.

Jumping from one dark place to another, the shadows shot from one cell to another, coming across many fierce and terrible creatures, each one lashing out at it. But their attacks just went right through as if they were grabbing smoke.

Eventually the shadows came up to a cell that was secluded from the rest. Sitting atop a stalagmite pillar, a single cage sat atop like a trophy. The creature inside was the shadow's target. A lowly beast with four horse like legs, an upper body like a hairless ape, and two small horns that rested on either side of his head. As mighty as the creature once was, formerly bursting with muscles, horns that reached to the sky, and enough magical power contained within to demolish all of Equestria, he was nothing more now then a shriveled up shadow of his former self. Irony seems to be a theme within the world that holds so much magic.

The shadows themselves shifted and slithered all around, winding their way all around the rocky pillar as they made their way to the creature's cage. Once there, the shadows no longer found the need to hide. The creature held inside his cage looked up as he saw some dark form beginning to grow from the darkness. As more color came to the black form and it gained more of an outline, the caged creature sneered at it. Still not fully formed, but enough to where the imprisoned centaur could tell what it was, the prisoner spoke up.

"I get so tired of seeing ponies" Tirek spoke in a shaky, weak voice. He had been reverted back to the state of an older stallion after his fight with Twilight Sparkle and her friends, being stripped of all the magic he stole. "They only bring trouble. Be gone! And leave me to my solitude."

"Awww, that's the matter?" A deep, dark voice spoke up as the shadows revealed their true form. "Did somepony wake up on the wrong side of his cage?"

Taking a second look at the visitor, Tirek was no longer sure what he saw was a pony at all. Yes it had four hooves, a mane and tale, and a horn atop it's head, but it was... different. Something about the look in it's eyes. There was a sharp, vicious tone to them. The red and green eyes that stared back at Tirek almost scared him.

"What... are you?" The centaur asked, his black and yellow eyes opened slightly wider to get a better look at the stallion before him.

The creature had a unicorn's shape, that is true. But his coat was dark grey, his mane seemed to flow like black smoke, and his horn was unlike any Tirek had ever seen. It was dark at the base but turned bright reds almost white at the tip, as if it was hot metal.

"I'm the one who's come to set you free" the unicorn like creature stated as he tossed a red colored Crystal into the cage. "But first, eat that. Don't worry, it's not poisonous."

After picking up the red Crystal, Tirek held it up to the light to get a better look at it. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the dark unicorn casting a spell, seeming to fuse another Crystal into the cage itself this time, a blue colored one. "And what, prey tell, is the purpose of me consuming this?"

"It's a promise" the unicorn like creature answered. "If you complete my task and obey my every command until the task is complete, I'll give you the third Crystal of this trio. If you consume that one as well, you will never be able to return to Tartarus again. You'll be free."

"And if I fail or disobey you?" Tirek pressed as he continued to turn the Crystal around in his hands.

"Then I smash the last of the trio and send you back to your cozy little cell, where you'll spend all of eternity" the unicorn like creature noted, then his eyes darted back to Tirek. Purple flames began to emerge from the corners of his eyes as his gaze burned into Tirek's. "do we have a deal? Or should I enlist the help of another creature doomed to this terrible place?"

Trying not to seem too eager, Tirek looked from the unicorn like creature, to the red crystal still in his hand, then back to him. "What is the task? If you don't mind me asking."

A small smile began to grow on the unicorn creature's muzzle. "Go to Ponyville and retrieve my son. He will be alone, for sure, and bring him safely back to my new castle atop the Foal mountains. Do this, and you will be forever free."

"Ponyville?!" Tirek shuttered at the name, remembering that was the very place he took on Twilight Sparkle and her friends. He may have been a classic, power hungry 'villain', but Tirek was no fool. He knew that even with all the power of the ponies in Equestria, he some how couldn't defeat the meddlesome alicorn princess and her annoying friends. "No thanks. I've had my fill of that 'Twilight Sparkle' and her 'friends' for more then 1000 years. Find somepony else."

As Tirek tossed the crystal back at the unicorn like creature, a purple, bubbling magical aura appeared around the stone. It levitated to the creature's side, his smile still unwavering. "Your fear is well placed. Should Twilight Sparkle and her friends be there, you would easily fail. But they are... going to be taken care of, by a servant of mine."

Tirek's brow rose at the statement, and he began to reconsider. If what the unicorn like creature said was true, then Tirek could just rush into the town, grab the brat, and bolt like lightning up this 'Foal mountains', then forever be free from this terrible place.

The thundering stomps of Cerberus began to grow louder and louder as Tirek thought about the offer. The unicorn like creature had nothing to fear, having the ability to turn into shadow and slip away, but Tirek would have to make a decision fast.

"Alright" the centaur answered and popped the Crystal in his mouth, swallowing it hole. At the very least, he thought he could expel the Crystal from his body once he was free from Tartarus once more. "You have a deal! Now release me!"

"You will not give me orders" the unicorn's creature's voice bellowed, raising it loud enough that it alerted Cerberus. But the unicorn like creature did not care if the giant dog heard or not. From atop his red hot horn, black magic began to bubble up again, this time, growing all around the imprisoned centaur. As both the unicorn like creature and Tirek were engulfed in the dark magical aura, Cerberus turned the corner and began running at top speed.

Jumping and lunging at where the two trouble makers were a second ago, Cerberus opened all three of his mighty jaws, ready to but down in the intruder. But as he landed, his jaws came up empty. As the dark magical cloud lifted, nothing and nopony was around, say for an empty cage.

PreviousChapters Next