• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,653 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,653

PreviousChapters Next
The Things You Cling To

Canterlot – Downtown Cafe – Months Ago / The Night After the Canterlot Invasion

"Herrrrre you go..." Bon Bon smiled, trotting over while balancing a cup of coffee in her hoof. She placed the mug on the edge of the table above the booth where a shivering unicorn was currently reclining beneath two layers of blankets. "A cup of coffee always makes me feel better after a stressful day. Why not take a sip?"

"Mmmm..." Lyra sniffled, staring out through the cafe window. Outside, royal guard ponies flew left and right, searching for survivors while unicorn volunteers shone glowing horns to illuminate the streets. "I've... n-never liked coffee."

"Oh." Bon Bon blinked. She bit her lip, turning to glance across the crowded cafe that had taken in dozens of frazzled citizens past closing hours. "Uhmmmm... maybe if... I-I grabbed some cold, refreshing water?"

Lyra shuddered. "Do..." Her amber eyes darted up at Bon Bon. "...do they have any Dr. Pony?"

"I... think they ran out of sodas this afternoon."

"Oh..." Bon Bon stared back out the window.

"I could... run across the street to the market and see if—!"

"No." Lyra exhaled. "Mmmm... it'd get in the way of the guards and what they're doing. I don't want a nice pony like you getting yelled at."

"Eheheh..." Bon Bon smirked—more to herself than anything. "Trust me. I can get past a few guards if I needed to."

"It's... it's fine..." Lyra tugged the blanket tighter. "All of this is f-fine. Thank you. Y'know?" She turned to glnace up at Bon Bon. "You've done so much for me. More than... than I deserve."

"Now why would you say that?"

Lyra merely gulped.

"Do... do you want me to leave?" Bon Bon blinked. "Because if you need some alone-time—"

"No. No!" Lyra reached out, suddenly clutching Bon Bon's fetlock. "I-I mean..." She grimaced. "I... could use the company... if that's okay..."

"It's more than okay, Lyra."

"I'm sorry. I'm sure you've got somewhere to be, Miss—"

"I already told you..." Bon Bon giggled. "You can just call me 'Bon Bon.'"

Lyra gazed at her. "You... s-sure that you've got nopony out there who's looking for you?"

Bon Bon's smile faded. She blinked at Lyra... past her. "Believe me. I've got nowhere else to be right now." She folded a length of the blanket over the mare, easing her shivers slightly. "I just want to make sure that you're going to be okay."

"I..." Bon Bon winced, turning to stare out at the frantic bodies outside the window. "I don't know."

Bon Bon knelt beside the booth in awkward silence.

"So many frantic... panicking ponies..." Lyra gulped. "How could this happen here? In our capital? In our home?"

"From what I heard, it could have been a great deal worse," Bon Bon droned. "The monsters... their Queen... they infiltrated all the way into the inner house of Mi Amore Cadenza, and they were just one chessboard move away from completely taking over—" Bon Bon bit on her own tongue. She smiled nervously at Lyra. "Well... you know all about that." She cleared her throat. "I won't... touch the subject any further."

Lyra continued to stare out the window. She sat up slightly in the booth—as if attempting to get a better look.

Bon Bon blinked. She craned her neck. "Are you... looking for somepony?"

"Yeah..." Lyra breathed. "A stallion." She breathed again. "A guard. Orange coat. Blue mane... eyes like the sea..."

Bon Bon raised an eyebrow. "You mean the nice dude who rescued you and your friends from underground?"

Lyra spun to face Bon Bon, her eyes wide. "Do you know him? Does he have a name??"

"I'm... afraid that was the first time I saw him ever, Lyra," Bon Bon said. "But I recall him saying his name was 'Flash Sentry.'"

Lyra exhaled. "Flash..." She turned to look out the window again. "I hope he's doing okay."

"He struck me as the sort of stallion who could take care of himself." Bon Bon lovingly patted the mare's shoulder. "I wouldn't be too worried."

"Not... worried... just..."

"Smitten?" Bon Bon tried to smile, but for some reason it came out deadpan.

"... ... ...he's a real hero, isn't he?"

Bon Bon nodded. "There are lots of heroes out there tonight. Thanks to ponies like you... they'll always be remembered."

"Yeah... I guess... but..." Lyra reached back, squeezing Bon Bon's hoof. "There's a hero in here too."

Bon Bon held her breath.

Lyra looked at her. She smiled—but the moment she did, her eyes welled up with tears. "Thank you... y'know? J-Just... thank you..."

"Hey..." Bon Bon shrugged. "I'm only glad to help—"

"No... no really..." Lyra sniffled. She leaned over to nuzzle Bon Bon, but failed halfway, burying her face in the mare's shoulder. "Thank you... thank you thank you thank you thank you..."

Bon Bon felt her throat go sore. She hugged Lyra tenderly, sniffling slightly as a bittersweet wave of emotion rolled through her. Just hours ago... she was cradling a different pony altogether in her hooves... one whom she couldn't save. She leaned forward, cradling the unicorn in a warm embrace.

"Lyra Heartstrings... I promise... I'm going to protect you... I'm going to keep you safe." She clenched her eyes shut to dam the tears in. "There's more than one way to be a hero. I... I hope you understand that someday..."

PreviousChapters Next