• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,653 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,653

PreviousChapters Next
The Purveyors of Change

Blue Crescent – Meeting Room

Bon Bon cleared her throat and leaned forward in her seat. "With all due respect, Fillies and Gentlecolts..."

Princess Plasma waved a gentle hoof. "The table recognizes Agent Sweetie Drops."

"Right." Bon Bon squirmed slightly, but nonetheless continued: "From a previous briefing, I was under the impression that this juncture here at Blue Crescent was meant to represent the interests of the general Equestrian populace, hence the relative non-involvement of the Royal Sisters." She raised an eyebrow. "Why, then, is it suddenly pertinent to include the Princess of Friendship in the League's actions?"

"It is not a sudden thing, my dear," Fancy Pants spoke. The unicorn smiled, adjusting his monocle. "We have always wanted to involve the wise council of an alicorn."

"But just not Luna or Celestia," Bon Bon remarked. She raised an eyebrow. "Is it because they possess too much power?"

"Not at all!" Fancy Pants shook his head. "If nothing else, recent events have shown us that the Regal Sisters lack the indestructible power that we always assumed they had—"

Princess Plasma delicately cleared her throat. "I do believe the purpose of the matter is being skewed."

"Her Majesty is right," Filthy Rich said with a nod. "You see, Little Missy..." He folded his forelimbs, smiling across the way at Bon Bon. "...Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Friendship, represents a new era in Equestria. And if there's anything that's true about the course of recent events—it's that Equestria is dying to break out of its old shell."

"And what kind of 'old shell' is that?" Haze spoke up.

"Blind dependence!" Oscar Ospreys rasped. His feathers ruffled as he spoke through a rattling beak: "Acceptance of a bland status quo!"

"Every pony, griffon, and mule in this nation has the potential to change reality for the better," Duchess Sonata Melody calmly purred. She adjusted her meager weight on the pillow she was seated on and continued: "Architecture... communications... vaccinations... weaponry..."

Betsy cocked her head to the side. "Weaponry..."

"Hydras, diamond dogs, and—now—countless Tartarusian monsters run rampant over the countryside," spoke a thick accented voice. Every League member stared across the way to where an orange-coated horse with a dark purple mane sat. "Imagine," Jasper Jasmine spoke, "If the mass population of Equestria was appropriately armed with the tools to take down Tirek before he assaulted them and leeched off their magic?"

"I don't see how it would have mattered," Sharp Quill said, her hawkeyes narrowing. "It wasn't until the Princess of Friendship intervened that the centaur was stopped."

"Mmmmm... but there's the part that most concerns me." The horse smiled, her elegant eyelashes batting. "We are all innately driven to accept the fact that we must depend on an alicorn's intervention. Is it such a crime to question the nature of past events? Could we not have stopped Tirek on our own—if properly equipped? Or the Canterlot invasion, for that matter?"

"The League tried," Bon Bon said in a muttering tone. "And we failed."

"And you failed because you were massively understaffed," Princess Plasma said. "The League had allowed the necessity for secrecy outweigh the need for agency. But now—with the implementation of Blue Nova industries—we are wishing to undo all of that."

"No longer will the League operate exclusively from the shadows," Fancy Pants said. "Much rather, they shall establish a formidable presence that will serve as an example—a righteous example—to all beastly cabals that would attempt to undermine it."

"You're suggesting an army..." Haze said.

"A defense," Jasper Jasmine interjected. "So that we may properly maintain a healthy and prosperous Equestria, which will lead the way to newer innovations that will further propel this marvelous culture to greatness."

"Okay..." Bon Bon took a breath. "So what is Princess Twilight Sparkle's place in all of this?"

"She's always been a sign of things to come!" Oscar Ospreys said. "Equipped with the blessing of the Tree of Harmony!"

"I... I'm not sure I follow," Bon Bon said.

"Darlin', it's simple." Filthy Rich smiled. "Twilight's become an alicorn all in our lifetime. She's a shining example of a mortal transforming into more than what she was previously-thought capable of."

"If that's the case," Garnet spoke up. "Why do we not approach the Steward Princess Cadance and her family?"

"Because there's something exceptional about the transformation that Twilight has undergone," Filthy said. "She has been empowered by her friends—common mortals, all of them. Over the past few years, the Elements of Harmony—tools used exclusively by alicorns in the past—have been embodied by Twilight and her friends. If nothing else, this is a sign that whatever force empowers Equestria is now desiring a change."

"And what change is that?" Betsy asked.

"A shift in the balance of power," Sonata Melody said. "It is high time that we accepted the fact that Celestia's and Luna's rule won't last forever. The gift of alicorns came from mortal sorcery... and it will someday return."

"We need to be prepared for all eventualities," Fancy Pants stated, receiving a nod from the demure eucorn lounging at his side. "We need to be strong for when the day comes that we have to stand on our own once more. The League is our means of accomplishing that."

"And you want Princess Twilight to give her 'okay,'" Sharp Quill said.

"We need her to understand what's important here," Princess Plasma said.

Bon Bon raised an eyebrow.

"Once she sees how important the League is for Equestria—for reducing our enemies to neutral threats at best—then we're certain she will do more than endorse us," Fancy Pants said. "She will want to be seated at this very table."

"And... uhm..." Bon Bon sat up straight. "If she says 'no?'"

"I doubt that she will."

"Fine, but what if she does?"

Horizons glanced silently across the table.

Awkward silence.

Oscar Ospreys and Sonata Melody exchanged glances.

"I mean, she's no chump," Bon Bon said. "She might be new to the whole 'alicorn princess' schtick, but she's fought just as many nasty-nasties as the League and I—maybe even more." She gulped. "With all due respect, it almost sounds to me as though... this group is aiming to intimidate her."

Both Filthy Rich and Fancy Pants opened their muzzles—

"And I believe—my dear—that you are not giving Princess Twilight enough credit. Or her intelligence, for that matter."

Bon Bon and the rest of the agents looked across the table.

Jasper Jasmine folded her fetlocks and spoke calmly in her accent. "Twilight Sparkle appreciates friendship, yes. It is her bread and butter—is it not? And yet..." She gestured. "She values wisdom above all. Looking at this world—at the problems vexxing it and the circumstances holding back progress—it would be downright criminal not to want a change... a change that we can all make happen, but only with the Princess' assistance."

"I... understand your position," Bon Bon said. "And I do respect it. I just... don't think we should be inserting words into the Princess' muzzle."

"Hardly, dear!" Fancy Pants said. "Which is why we're moving to propose a way to appeal to her! The first vote shall be made here—and then the next move will be up to the Canterlot Council!"

"The ambassadors of Griffonstone shall also be there," Oscar Ospreys said. "The future of Equestria is important to all civilized beings on this planet."

"And assuming that Twilight Sparkle is on board," Sharp Quill spoke, "In spite of the dark and ethically gray history of the League..." She raised an eyecrest. "What part does such an alicorn play in the 'future of Equestria?'"

"That..." Jasper Jasmine said, "Will be up to the Princess."

"Hmmmff..." Betsy snorted.

The horse tilted its head to the side. "Something amuses you?"

"For a second there, I thought you were gonna say 'fate,'" the rhinoceros huffed.

Jasper Jasmine exhaled. "I do not believe in fate. What happens tomorrow is in our hooves." She turned to glance at Bon Bon. "Soon, it will be the alicorn's choice... a choice of whether or not she wants to join fetlocks with us in this glorious juncture."

PreviousChapters Next