• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,652 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,652

PreviousChapters Next
Incoming Table Flip...

Downtown Ponyville – Outdoor Cafe Patio – Midday Plus a Few Minutes

"Sorry for not leaving a note saying that I was going out, Bon Bon," Lyra said, fidgeting where she stood. "I got this sudden invitation and... I-I guess it just slipped my mind."

"Oh, it's quite alright," Bon Bon said, dragging a chair out. "I figured that you needed to... uhm... get some exercise or something."

"Mmmm... yes..." Octavia stifled a fake yawn. "Because Miss Heartstrings' legs are the muscles that she needs exercising."

"Hellllllllllllllllo, Tavi." Lyra's face swiveled to face her with a plastic grin. "Wiped yourself with any good books, lately?"

"Mmmmm... that remains to be seen." Octavia tilted her chin up with a smug smile. "Have you brought any of your latest compositions with you?"

"Must be hard playing the cello when you can't reach past your own fat head."

Octavia's brow furrowed. "Spoken like the true incarnation of vomit."

"Still stuck in the orchestral pit, eh?" Lyra's teeth glinted beneath smiling lips. "Give the horn section a try. You're pretty good at blowing."

"Well at least I have more than a few award-winning performances under my belt." Octavia lifted a teacup, smirking. "How goes the work on your own funeral dirge?"

"My music's doing fine." Lyra sat down with a calm exhale. "Certainly beats farting to a beat and calling it 'Trottingham's Finest.' You want a prescription for that? I suggest you go sit on the conductor's wand and rotate. No doubt you get enough practice with that stick you were born with."

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's one of those get togethers," Bon Bon muttered, slumping to the tabletop with a prolonged moan. "...when is the battle ever going to be over?"

"I sense no war to be fought, love," Octavia remarked in a sing-songy tone. She glared past Lyra. "I was simply sitting here, enjoying my tea."

"Yeah. I bet that's really relaxing." That said, Lyra heaved her rear legs up and slapped them across half the tabletop, making Octavia's saucers and silverware rattle offensively in front of her. Sighing, Lyra folded her forelimbs behind her head and reclined with a lazy smirk. "Mmmmmm... I trotted through soooooo much mudddd along the way here! Don't worry, Bon Bon." She winked aside. "I'll keep the earthy stink far... far away from her."

"Mrmmmmfff..." Octavia leaned back in her chair, grimacing. "...how very charming and thoughtful."

Bon Bon's lips burst with a tiny, pent-up chortle. She sighed and rolled her eyes. "Lyra, if you weren't so silly, I'd—" She blanched at her own words.

Vinyl glanced between Octavia and Bon Bon.

Lyra raised an eyebrow. "...what?"

Bon Bon cleared her throat. "So... uh... you h-had an invitation to go somewhere this morning?"

Lyra glanced at the other mares, then at Bon Bon again. "Yeahhhhh..." Finally, she lowered her hooves and sat normally in her seat. "...Spike of all pon—er.... dragons showed up."

"Oh?" Bon Bon cocked her head to the side. "Spike?"

"Let me guess." Octavia finished the last of her tea. "He was performing a census on pony-shaped mold and you were the first citizen to be polled? Completely at random, of course..."

Lyra inhaled. "No, actually, he invited me to go visit Princess Twilight at the Palace."

Octavia spat out the last of her drink. She fumbled to dab her chin dry with a napkin.

Vinyl's jaw dropped.

"Princess Twilight...?" Bon Bon's eyes flickered with sudden recollection of the envelope left at the apartment. "Oh! Oh that would explain the letter!"

Octavia wheezed for breath, eyes watering. "What letter...?"

"Oh, Bon Bon didn't tell you?" Lyra smirked thickly. "Princess Twilight Sparkle invited me to go see her at the Castle. Personally. Just to catch up." She winked. "We go way back, the Princess and I."

Vinyl smiled. She opened her muzzle to say something—

"Stop right there." Octavia held a hoof up. "Yes yes. Congratulations are in order, Vinyl. I agree." She stared at Lyra with thin eyes across the table. "But we all knew about Lyra's past dealings with the Princess. However... it is ancient history."

"Not so ancient anymore," Lyra said, shaking her head. "Princess Twilight is super cereal about reconnecting. We spent the whole morning talking about it. Even had breakfast together. Did you know that the Princess is afraid of quesadillas?"

"That's... a bit random, don't you think?" Bon Bon said. "I-I mean... it's wonderful, Lyra, of course! But from what I know of Twilight Sparkle—she rarely does anything social unless there's an express purpose to it."

"Oh, there's definitely a purpose to it." Lyra waggled her eyebrows. "And I've got a seat on the express way."

Vinyl raised an eyebrow.

"Let me guess..." Octavia yawned. "You've both agreed to be extended pen pals."

"I've got a riddle for you dopey donkeys." Lyra folded her forelimbs. "Who has no thumbs and just got hired as the Princess of Friendship's royal minstrel?" A long beat of silence... and then she pointed both hooves at her grinning chin. "This gallllllllllll!"

Octavia's eyes went crooked.

"Oh... my... goddess..." Bon Bon tilted forward on the edge of her seat, beaming. "That's so amazing, Lyra! Way to go!"

"Yes..." Lyra smirked. "It is amazing." She tilted her green chin about until it was overshadowing Octavia. "In fact, one might say that it's a one in a lifetime opportunity that very few gifted ponies get a chance to partake in."

Octavia cleared her throat. "Mmmm... yes... well..." Octavia stroked her bangs back. "I'm certain that friendship isn't the only thing the Princess has to catch up on. I can only suspect that she hasn't heard you attempt music in a long while."

"Well, her castle has crystal toilets," Lyra said. "So it's safe to say she's already well-acquainted with your attempts." Clearing her throat, she smiled at the table as a whole. "But yeah! I'm totally gonna be shredded lyres at her place for when delegates visit'n'stuff!" She gulped. "It's... g-gonna be a lot cooler than I just made it sound. Eheh..."

"Lyra... that's..." Bon Bon sighed happily. "That's going to be quite a boost for your career, isn't it?"

"More like a stratospheric ladder climb, if I ever heard one."

Vinyl leaned over to shake Lyra's hooves. Her lips parted—

"Vinyl raises a good question," Octavia said. She glared from where she sat in a muddled slump. "Precisely when will you be doing performances at the Castle, mmm? I've seen no posters or bulletins announcing any such event behooving a minstrel."

"That's because it's still in the developmental stage."

"Ah. So the Princess has you on hold?"

"No... when I said I was hired, I meant it. I just... y'know... can't perform for the next two to three weeks."

"Why not?"

Lyra took a deep breath. "Because..." She looked at Bon Bon calmly. "...I'll be going on a little vacation." She swallowed. "For my own good."

Bon Bon blinked. Her ears twitched as her muzzle hung agape.

PreviousChapters Next