• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,652 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,652

PreviousChapters Next
Braeburned

Appleloosa – Vacation Retreat – Cabin Interior

Creaaak!

Dust rose and settled. Light scattered through the narrow, open doorway in yellow-gray beams. A thick wooden floorboard was covered sporadically with homely hoof-crafted rugs. Oak furniture lingered between a cobblestone fireplace and a series of twin-sized beds.

"Well... uhm..." Twinkleshine stepped in first, blinking into the dimness. "...it's certainly very... cute."

"Hehe! You're right!" Minuette stuck her head in, smiling wide. "A very old grandmare who loves to give out lemon candies kind of cute!" She gasped deeply. "Duaaah! Look at those adorable little beds! And the embroidery on the comforters!" She took a running start, leapt, and landed on a creaking bed with a bounce. "Heeeeeee! I love thick duvets!"

"Shhhh!" Twinkleshine winced. "Minny! Keep it to yourself!"

"Heehee!" Minuette rolled and curled up on the bed like a bright blue feline. "No!"

"Hmmmm..." Lemon Hearts stepped in, nodding lightly at the gradually illuminated walls and floorboards. "Quaint. Simple. To the point."

"Ya like it?" Braeburn stood behind her, smiling. "Once upon a time, these used to be the cabins for the early... early settlers. Keepin' a whole family here weren't exactly comfortable... but as a place to 'go away for a while' on a retreat?" He winked into the dust. "Reckoned it just screamed 'frontier adventure' and all that hooplah!" His teeth twinkled. "You like?"

"Yes!" Minuette said, sitting up on the bed. "We like it very much!"

"But Minuette..." Twinkleshine smiled tiredly. "You like everything."

"Nuh uh!" Minuette pouted. "I like some things more than others!" She cartwheeled off the bed, wrapped her forelimbs around Twinkleshine and Lemon Hearts, then nuzzled them both. "And I love you twooooo!"

"Awwwwwww..." Twinkleshine playfully swapped Minuette's shoulder. "Minny! You silly sap!"

Lemon Hearts giggled. "Okay... okay, Minuette. Let's just have a look around and get situated. Once this place is cleaned up, we can relax and chat, alright?"

"Mmmmhmm!" Minuette skipped off and threw the window curtains open, one by one. "Whinny while you work!"

"Oh gosh, Minuette..."

Braeburn smirked. "I'll bring yer things in. How's that sound?"

"Thank you very much, Braeburn," Lemon Hearts said.

"Uhhhhh..." Lyra stood in the doorway. "How about I help?"

"Nah... s'all good!" Braeburn winked. "It's my pleasure to help out!"

"Really." Lyra glared at Lemon Hearts from afar. "I insist."

"Well, alrighty!" Braeburn shrugged, trotting to the wagon parked outside. "It's yer vacation after all."

Lyra's horn glowed as she levitated on bag, then another. "So... how long has this place been around, exactly?"

"Goin' on two and a half years!" Braeburn chirped cheerfully, diving his front body into the wagon. "Built it in the course of twelve months! Good, ol' fashion earth pony ingenuity!"

"Yeesh..." Lyra blinked, hoisting a third bag. "I sorta figured it was a whole lot older."

"I'll take that as a compliment!" Braeburn chuckled. "Truth is, most of the buildings were assembled from the pieces of other structures that used to stand back in Old Town."

"Old Town?"

"Er..." Braeburn blushed slightly. "My pardon. It's the name we Appleloosa folk give to Dodge Junction—to the northeast. It's where most of us ponies hail from... among other places."

"Ahh... a true blue pony pilgrim."

"More like golden! Golden delicious!" Braeburn stacked bags on his flank and smiled. "The bulk of us are apple-farmin' folks! Just like my Ma and Pa and their Mas and Pas before 'em!"

"Do... uh... your parents live with you here?"

"Nope! They're enjoyin' a calm, quiet, relaxin' life of carrier pigeon tamin' far off in upstate Neigh York! Got a lot of customers from Manehattan who pay 'em well. So they're just fine and dandy."

"Huh... fancy that."

"How about you?" Braeburn asked as the two trotted towards the wagon. "What are yer folks up to these days?"

"Eh... nothing much."

"Oh? Life of retirement turnin' out to be dull?" Braeburn asked.

"Nothing like that," Lyra droned, shaking her head. "My parents died in a fire when I was young."

"Hah hah hah!" Braeburn laughed.

Lyra was deadpan.

Braeburn stared at her, smiling muzzle agape. "... ... ...yer kiddin', right?"

"Mmmm..." Lyra slowly shook her head. "Nope."

"Oh..." Braeburn's smile melted. "Oh shoot." His ears drooped. "Shoot." He gulped, shivering and fidgeting. "I just thought... from the way you've been quippin' and sassin'..." A grand wince broke through his jawline. "Awwwww shoot... shoot, I'm so sorry..."

Lyra shrugged. "It's okay. I mean... I'm over it and stuff."

"T'ain't somethin' that a normal pony can just 'get over,' I reckon."

"Eh..." Lyra waved a hoof from side to side. "I've only had my entire lifetime."

"Is that... erm..." Braeburn swallowed a lump down his throat. "...could that be why you and yer pretty filly friends are stayin' here in Appleloosa for?"

"Nah." Lyra shook her head. "We're all here because over a year ago three of us were brutally mindjacked by Queen Chrysalis and made to be her zombie bridesmaids while the rest of Canterlot collapsed into chaos around and on top of us."

"Oh..." Braeburn bit his lip hard as he lingered at the doorframe. "That... uhm..."

"Hey. You're just the tour guide," Lyra said with a shrug. "Just relax and be your normal self." Her nostrils flared as she glared at at yellow figure inside the cabin. "Not all of us can afford to do that."

"You... uh..." Braeburn cleared his throat. "...you've got my deepest sympathies, darlin'. The whole charmin' lot of ya."

"Smoothe," Lyra said with a smirk. "Just be careful how slick you are from now on. The blue-hair'd mare will likely eviscerate you if you go too far."

"I'm confused..."

"Now that's the spirit." Lyra trotted in with her bags. "Welcome to the club. 'Eyyyyyyyyy! Dust! My favorite kind of sediment!"

"Lyra!" Minuette cheered. "They've got an old fashion water pump in here!"

"No kidding? I knew I'd be cranking something on this vacation." Lyra dropped her bags against the wall. One particular wooden beam rattled. "Hmmmm... some parts of the cabin are loose."

"Oh, dun worry none!" Braeburn said cheerfully as he placed a few bags down in the opposite corner. "That just means it has character! These cabins can withstand a sandstorm or buffalo stampede—or both!" He winked at the others. "Reckon we haven't tested it against a rip roarin' Bingo Night!"

The other mares chuckled.

"I'll go get the last few bags! Y'all dun wage a family feud or nothing until I get back!"

"Seriously..." Lyra grimaced, scooting up to the loose beam. "I think a draft is coming through this thing." She tried lifting the thing telekinetically, but failed. So with struggling hooves, she grasped the wooden plank manually and pulled... tugged. "I think... the nails... h-have rusted brittle!"

Crkkkk! She pulled the plank loose, exposing the outer log beams. Instantly, her pupils shrank and her ears twitched to the supposed noise of cricket song.

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

The plank—once removed—exposed a veritable colony of spiders, cockroaches, pill bugs, and beetles. They squirmed and skittered in every feasible direction within the wooden walls of the cabin.

"Lyraaaa?" Lemon Hearts called from the opposite side of the interior. "Could you help me move this bed a bit closer to the window?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..." Lyra paled, struggling not to lose her lunch. She grew faint, teetering left and right... wheezing.

"Lyra?" Twinkleshine's voice echoed. "Is everything okay?"

Lyra took a deep... deep... deep breath...

...and slapped the wooden beam back in place, hiding the squirming horrors.

Twinkleshine trotted up behind her, craning her neck. "Lyra?"

"Ahem!" Lyra stood up, spun around with a smile, and slapped her fetlocks together. "Never better!" With a skip to her step, she trotted to Lemon Hearts and the bed. "Now let's get settled for this bodacious vacation! Woo! Yeah!"

Twinkleshine blinked, standing in place. "Huh... who uses the word 'bodacious' anymore?"

Minuette rolled over on the nearest bed. "Not even me!"

"Right." Twinkleshine gulped. "And that's scary."

PreviousChapters Next