• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,652 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,652

PreviousChapters Next
The Heartstrings

? ? ?

"Daddy!" She sobbed. She sputtered. The smoke was growing denser and denser, staining her silver-streaked bangs with soot. Trembling, the little filly shook and shook the stallion's shoulder and neck. "Daddy!"

Despite her constant struggles, the stallion lay dead still. Blood trailed down from his horn and onto the carpet. An ear twitched once... or twice... but he would not come to.

The filly coughed. An explosion of heat baked her as a chunk of wall paneling fell over. With a shriek, she looked up to see that the fire had spread to the opposite end of the room. By now, the entire apartment was crackling with flames. Wallpaper peeled and chunks of ceiling fell like ashen snow. One by one, the furniture erupted in white flashes as the blaze spread slowly to where she and her father were lying.

"Mmmmmmnnghhh!" she squealed, pulling and tugging at his tail with all her meager might. Ashes showered her blank flank and quivering limbs. After much struggle, she slumped over her father's side, wheezing into the smoke and haze. Her tearing eyes squinted across what remained of the apartment.

Far across the way... seated in a lonesome chair... a full adult mare sat dreadfully still, staring blankly ahead.

The filly saw her. "Mommy..." She resumed tugging at the stallion, hissing through clenched teeth. "Mommy, please, you have to help! Daddy's hurt bad! I... I-I don't think I can get him out in t-time!"

The mare simply sat still. She did not flinch. She did not move. Even as parts of the wall fell into burning heaps around her, she remained locked in her chair.

"Mommy...?" Straining, the filly hiccuped on a sob and slumped over her father's body once again. With a whimper, she stared across the apartment. "Mommy... please... wh-why won't you come over and help me save him?"

Icily, the mare's head turned to look at her daughter. Curtains of flame rippled above and behind her. In a calm tone, she murmured, "Because I love you, Lyra." And when her flesh caught on fire, she didn't scream.


Ponyville – 485 Faust Lane – Today

Lyra woke up with a sputtering gasp. She stared forward into the gray morning haze wafting through the living room windows. Cold sweat drenched her coat as she sat there, trembling.

Minutes passed. At last, the mare summoned the strength to crawl off the sofa. Trembling, she teetered and shambled as she made her way to the first story bathroom.

Not bothering to switch the light on, she spun the faucet knob and shoved her head beneath the trickling water. The mare gave her head and muzzle a thorough, cold soak. Then—still trembling—she stood up straight.

The mare stared at her pale reflection, dribbling with tap water. She exhaled multiple times, recollecting her nerves.

At last, after a heavy swallow, she broke her deadpan with a bittersweet frown.

"Get out of your head," she muttered to the reflection, and lingered until the smoke had cleared from her memories.

PreviousChapters Next