• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,653 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,653

PreviousChapters Next
Lyra's Last Stand

Desert – Buffalo Camp – Zero Hour

"Kill the beast!"

"For our brothers and sisters!"

"Rip it to shreds before it can change again!"

"Crud!" Lyra turned tail—FLASH!—unwittingly morphing into a whimpering stallion as she scampered desperately across the thunderous camp ground. "Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!" she stuttered in Braeburn's voice. "Just hold yer apples, y'all—!"

"Grkkk!" Swift Breaths dove forward, grabbing onto the stallion's fluffy tail. "I got it! Brothers, take it out—!" FLASH! A tiny cloven hoof poked him in the eye. "OWWW!" Swift Breaths covered his skull, reeling.

Lyra stumbled away on Little Strong Hooves' limbs. "Please! I don't want any trouble—"

"GRRRRRR!" Three whole buffalo charged in.

"Guh!" With Little Strong Heart's swiftness, Lyra nimbly leapt over them, backflipped, and landed in a squat. "Whoah..." She sweated, blinking. "Did I just do that—?"

WHAM! Another buffalo rammed her from behind.

"Ooomf!" Lyra tumbled through several baskets full of corn and wheat. Frightened mothers grabbed their calves and scampered off, yelping. "Grnngh... dude..." FLASH! She morphed into Swift Breaths, frowning. "Uncool..."

"Trample it!" A full wave of buffalo rushed her. "Before it gets up!"

"Hey!" Lyra stood up, frowning. "Why don't you pick on someone your own—" FLASH! "—size?!" She boomed in Chief Stronghooves' voice.

WHUD! The buffalo collectively bounced off of her chest and tumbled back on their smaller haunches. "Guhh!"

Lyra blinked... then clenched her heavy jaw muscles. Dragging a hoof for starters, she next charged straight forward, reveling in the heavy thuds that her mighty limbs were making.

WHAM! WHACK! THWACK! She knocked angry warriors left and right like bowling pins.

~o~This is not helping things.~o~

"Everyone!" The real Little Strong Heart could be heard pleading in the background. "Just c-calm down! We can solve this peacefully—!"

~o~It's not too late. You can still get out of this cleanly if you just run.~o~

"Listen, whoever..." Lyra gnashed her teeth as she knocked two more buffalo aside. "...what does it look like I'm doing?!" THUNK! She suddenly grinded to a halt, butting heads with a skull identical to hers. "Hoboy."

"You..." The real Chief Thunderhooves hissed, holding her in place with his massive skull. He grinded his hooves against the earth, pushing her back. "...shall PAY... for what you've done to my TRIBE!"

"Rnnngh...!" Lyra winced, locking horns with the massive, muscular elder. "...j-just let me go!"

"Out of the question, monster!" Thunderhooves snorted. His fellow tribe members recovered, rushing in quickly. "You have the horns... but you lack the passion!"

"Don't..." Lyra's eyes burned with green flame. "...talk to me..." Her buffalo horns disappeared. "...about passion!" Just then, a jagged black horn emerged from the center of her forehead—like an insect from its cocoon. It flashed in a brilliant green light and—

KAPOWWW!

—an incalculably violent blast of telekinetic power erupted between them. Lyra remained in place, her body shrinking until it became a familiar green unicorn with a smoking forehead.

As for Chief Thunderhooves, however—"Aaaaaaaaaaiiieeeeee!"—his bulbous body went sailing skyward. He plummeted ten... twenty... forty meters away from the heart of the camp.

"Chief Thunderhooves!" Little Strong Heart shouted.

"Whoah—!" Swift Breaths' eyes twitched.

At long last... Thunderhooves' distant body landed... grinding a fresh trench through the desert earth for several meters... until finally coming to a pained stp against a cluster of cacti. Even from so far away, the rest of the tribe could hear the resounding groan of pain from their chief elder.

Lyra stood in place as an unnatural wind died down. Every tent and teepee within twenty meeters was tilted away from her exact location. Tumbleweeds and dirt devils billowed towards the faraway hills. At last, as the blood rushed back to her green heard, she wheezed forth: "Holy shit."

The dumbfounded buffalo turned to gape at her.

She gulped. "I... g-guess it wouldn't help if I said 'he asked for it?'"

Anger returned to the natives' faces, and soon she was facing a furious wall of fur and horns.

~o~This was the worst mistake. I swear.~o~

"H-hold on!" Lyra spun around, panting desperately as she scampered across the lopsided camp. "I-I c-can still maybe outrun them!"

~o~I should have merged with a horn toad.~o~

"What... wh-what can I t-turn into that's faster than a bunch of m-murderous buffalo?!"

~o~At least in cold blood I would have a sensible ally.~o~

"Come on!" Lyra panted, glancing nervously behind her as the stampeding tribe caught up. "H-help me out here!"

~o~Now you turn to me?~o~

"Look! Whatever! Just... g-get me out of here!"

~o~Do not bother. Nothing can save you now.~o~

"Save me..." Lyra's teary eyes clenched shut as she galloped against the wind. "Please..." The malevolent shouts of the buffalo tore into hear eardrums. "...s-save me." Just as she murmured this, her silver-streaked mane turned blue. FLASH! Orange feathers stretched out as the stallion gasped. "A pegasus! Alright—"

She performed one single wingflap.

POWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

A deep crater formed in the earth directly beneath her. The resulting shockwave tore teepees over, knocked warriors back, and toppled panicked family members and their children to the ground. Before any of the buffalo could get back up to see what happened...

...an orange equine figure rocketed over the desert, flailing the entire way.

"Crud! Cruddd! Crudddddddddddd!"

PreviousChapters Next