• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,650 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,650

PreviousChapters Next
You Shove Off

Ponyville – Train Depot – Loading Platform in Broad Daylight

"Ten minutes!" a conductor shouted across the station. He strolled up and down the length of the stalled train and its many-many cars. "Ten minutes till departure! All aboard for Appleloosa!"

Lemon Hearts tap-tap-tap-tap-tapped her hoof.

Minuette and Twinkleshine stood off to the side.

Sighing sounds entered and exited Lemon Hearts' flaring nostrils. She continued persistently tap-tap-tapping her hoof.

Bon Bon paced back and forth. Every now and then, she'd flash Lemon Hearts a grin.

Lemon Hearts only had a scowling expression to reflect.

"Where is she?" Lemon grumbled. "Where is she?"

Bon Bon gulped. "She's coming." A nervous grin. "She's coming! I promise you..."

"Well, if she isn't here in ten minutes, there'll be trouble, you hear me?" Lemon nervously rested a hoof against her chin. She stammered, "Trouble."

The entire world silenced as a mint green unicorn shuffled into view with the grace of a melting iceberg. Lyra gazed casually at the group.

"Standing about, eh?" She mused with a sly grin. "Some ponies have it dead easy."

Bon Bon exhaled heavily.

"Hello, Lyra," Lemon Hearts droned.

"Hello, Lemon." Lyra cleared her throat. "Let's save the duel at forty paces for later. We are going to a pioneer town, after all." Tossing her mane, Lyra smiled into the lengths of the depot. "It's high noon somewhere in Equestria—d'oh!" She was suddenly tackled by a petite wall of blue fuzz.

"Lyraaaaaaaaaa!" Minuette nuzzled-nuzzled-nuzzled the mare's green fluffy chest. "Heeheeeeeee! It's so good to seeeeee youuuuuu!"

"Grnnnnngh... h-hiya yourself, Minuette!" Lyra managed to stay upright. She patted the back of the mare that was smothering her and wheezed: "Still conquering cavities? Or are you making them?"

Minuette giggle-snorted. "You still haven't lost your sense of humor! Ohhhhh... isn't this spectacular? We're all going on a wonderful trip together! Heehee! Just like old times!"

"Minuette..." Lyra finally stepped back, enjoying a chance to breathe. "The only time we ever went on a 'trip' was to the Royal Canterlot Library." Her brow furrowed. "For school." She gulped. "I think that was the day we all lost Moondancer and Twilight."

"Well..." Twinkleshine trotted up with a calm smile. "It's a good thing we haven't lost you." A wink. "At least, not this day."

"Hiya, Twinkleshine." Lyra saluted. "How are you holding up as of late?"

"Ohhhhhh... y'know..." Twinkleshine shrugged. "Working retail."

"Holy Goddess!" Lyra grimaced. "Let's get you on the damn train to desert dreamland already!"

"I couldn't agree more," Lemon Hearts said. She smiled at her friends. "All aboard? Time to get this extended therapy session rolling!"

"Wooohooo!" Minuette yanked an invisible train whistle cord and then skipped her way towards one of the train cars. "I get the window seat!"

"Minuette, they are all window seats!" Twinkleshine shook her head with a tired smirk and trotted up after her.

Lemon Hearts gestured at a door to a car. "After you, Lyra."

"Uhhhhhh... after you," Lyra said. "I gotta get a word in to B-squared here."

"... ... ..." Lemon Hearts stared.

"What? Stop trying to crush my skull with your eyes." Lyra shrugged. "You think I'm planning some diabolical act of cowardice at the last second?"

"Hrmmmmm..." Lemon Hearts marched up into the nearest train car. "Wouldn't be the first time."

"Life is strange and short!" Lyra called after her. "Have some faith in the wind shifting, ya melon fudge!" She turned to chuckle at Bon Bon. Pointing at the train car, Lyra mused: "Sometimes I think her parents shoulda chosen 'Hurts' instead of 'Hearts.'"

Bon Bon sighed. "She only wants what's best for her friends, Lyra." A tired smile. "It's not easy to take care of so many ponies at once."

"Must be harder taking care of just one."

"You don't see me complaining."

"No. I don't." Lyra smiled... or at least she tried to. Clearing her throat, she muttered, "Bon Bon... I... uh... I know that I haven't made things very easy for you..."

"You continue to make life exciting," Bon Bon droned. She arched an eyebrow. "Considering the stuff I used to do for a living, I'd say you're keeping me quite comfortable."

Lyra chuckled. "But seriously, though. I don't do enough good stuff for you in return."

Bon Bon pointed at the train. "You're doing this, aren't you?"

"Even still..." Lyra gulped. "Most ponies by now have... learned to accept me as I am. But you?" Her eyelashes fluttered. "You believe I can be something more." She clenched her jaw. "That means something... and I fear that I'm too thick to understand it myself."

Bon Bon closed the distance between them. "What matters is that you're willing to learn." She gave her roommate a gentle hug. "That means everything."

Lyra sighed, nuzzling her. "Best friends?"

Bon Bon closed her eyes with a smile. "Best friends."

The two parted ways. Lyra backtrotted towards a train car. "Don't blow up the world while I'm gone, Agent Candy Panties."

Bon Bon gulped. "I promise," she shuddered.

"All aboardddd!"

Steam vented.

The locomotive came to life.

Wheels turned...

...and the train pulled out of the depot.

PreviousChapters Next