• Published 26th Jun 2016
  • 3,643 Views, 1,727 Comments

Shellstrings - shortskirtsandexplosions



After freakish happenstance turns Lyra Heartstrings and Queen Chrysalis into a symbiotic being, they find themselves putting their superpowers to heroic use in an ever-changing Equestria.

  • ...
42
 1,727
 3,643

PreviousChapters Next
The Glimmering Mile

The Castle of Friendship – Because That's a Way Better Name For It – Stop Looking At Me

Lyra whistled shrilly, gazing left and right. "Wowsers. This place is really... really..."

Starlight Glimmer looked over her shoulder, raising an eyebrow. "Roomy?"

"I was gonna say abysmal." Lyra winced. "I mean... I-I guess princesses are entitled to their big glittery palaces... among other things..."

"Uh huh."

"...but every room of this place sorta feels like the toy section of Barnyard Bargains twelve hours into Buck Friday." Lyra smirked. "You know what I mean?"

"Nope." Starlight shook her head. "I'm afraid I don't."

Lyra raised an eyebrow. "You don't celebrate Hearth's Warming? What are you, Donkey Orthodox?"

"No, I... lived most of my adult life on a ranch where I trapped ponies, stole their cutie marks, and forced them to live in a miniature utopia devoid of individuality and self-expression."

"Oh." Lyra fidgeted. "And Twilight's got you cooking breakfast for Spike, now?"

"Look, I know it sounds strange..." Starlight groaned. "But I'm trying my best to live a healthy, reformed life." She gulped. "After all, if Discord could do it, then so can I." Her ears folded back, and the mare squeaked: "R-right?"

"Hey..." Lyra shrugged. "Who am I to judge. You seem nice enough."

"Thanks." Starlight sighed through a tired smile. "Hearing that from another pony... means a lot."

"Well, I can tell it means a lot to you, sooooo..." Lyra glanced around. "...booyakasha, I guess." Her brow furrowed. "For realsies, though. This place is emptier than the Equestrian Games in Brayzil."

"And to be honest, none of us really understand it either," Starlight said, her voice echoing off the walls. "And by 'us,' I guess I mean Twilight and all her friends."

"And yet she doesn't mind living here?"

"Oh, it wasn't easy. Not at first." Starlight swallowed. "At least, that's what Twilight's told me." She glanced back. "For the first week this place existed, she literally went out and sought excuses to not spend the nights here. It freaked her out... just a tad... y'know?"

"If she's so uncomfortable with it, then why doesn't she just find another place to lazy her fuzzy egghead?"

"Because she's the Princess of Friendship," Starlight explained. "And more than anypony I know, Twilight respects the sacred duty that's been hoofed to her. It's no small coincidence that she's become both an Element of Harmony and a royal alicorn within the span of two years."

"Wuh oh." Lyra winced. "Is this one of those stupid 'predestination' arguments? If so, it's only fair to warn you, I haven't used the toilet since last night."

Starlight giggled. "Oh, I wouldn't go that far. However, it is interesting to note that Twilight's ascension to alicornhood is not unlike Princess Celestia's and Princess Luna's."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Just like them, she studied magic, solved many of Equestria's random crises, and then invented a spell that gifted her with wings and harmonic power." Starlight cleared her throat. "Only—in Twilight's case—she's gotten to where she's at with the assistance of very close friends. I... uh... I'm humbled to be counted among that now."

"Yeesh..." Lyra blinked. "I guess I should brush up on my history."

"You can't be blamed for not knowing," Starlight said. "The history of alicorns isn't a major topic in modern discussion—not like it was in the Classical Era."

"You see, this is why I moved out of Canterlot," Lyra said with a smirk. "Unlike all the other unicorns, the only thing of antiquity that I value is a good, playable Rolling Stallions album."

"Well, historical significance is often... subjective!" Starlight said. "I'm trying to keep that in mind as I look through the Princess' applicants for royal archiving."

"She's really dumped all of her tasks on you, huh?"

"It's like I said earlier. I volunteered." Starlight smiled. "I, for one, agree whole-heartedly that this Castle could use a full working staff. Not only that, but with bordering nations like Yakyakistan and Griffonstone growing more and more restless, Ponyville stands to become a major focal point for ambassadorial procedures. Unlike Celestia and Luna—whose reputations precede them—Princess Twilight still comes across as a nonpartisan representative of Equestrian culture as a whole. That means that—quite potentially—delegates from all around the world will be more than inclined to come to a small town like Ponyville to speak with her... as opposed to—"

"—dirtying themselves with the stench of Manehattan sewers. I got ya." Lyra winked. "I can't pretend to say I'm the biggest fan of the United Neightions either."

"Ermmm..."

"It's called hyperbole, Miss Shimmer." Lyra snicked. "You should try it sometime."

"Eheheh... right." Starlight gulped. "Sorry. I guess... uh... I've been hanging out with Twilight and her friends a bit too much."

"Stiffer then boards, eh?"

"Sometimes. Except for Rainbow and Pinkie, perhaps. I mean, don't get me wrong. I love them all and I'm thankful for the entire group for giving me a second chance. Spike included. But sometimes... I wish the ponies around me would lighten up a bit."

"Yeah... believe me..." Lyra gulped, glancing at her passing reflection in the crystalline walls. "I understand that waaaaaay too well."

"Heh... I kinda hope Twilight invites you over more often." Starlight smiled ahead. "You seem really chillaxed."

Lyra gulped hard. "If you say so." She cleared her throat. "Uhm... at the risk of sounding like a horribad stereotype... are we friggin' there yet?"

"As a matter of fact..." Starlight opened a large door with her telekinesis and pointed inside. "...we are!"

Lyra inhaled the deep scent of books. She resisted the urge to sneeze. "I... uh... I don't have to kiss her ring or anything, do I?"

"Heheheh... Miss Heartstriiiings..." Starlight winked. "She's your old friend, right? It should be simple! Just... trot inside and—y'know—reconnect!"

"Right..." Lyra shuffled forward, ears drooped. "...easy as pie."

PreviousChapters Next