• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,953 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,953

Part 6

Part 6
The Wedding

It was dawn, on a beautiful spring day. And the castle was already frantic with activity. The servants had mustered out before daylight and had finished cleaning the castle from top to bottom. A task they had begun days before. Inside the kitchens the cooks and bakers were laboring nonstop, creating fabulous dishes rarely served. In the ballroom musicians had begun to drift in after finishing a hasty breakfast. Despite being five hours away from the official beginning, many of them had decided to spend the intervening time tuning and practicing.

Down in the city below, the pace was the same. Shopkeepers were out cleaning their storefronts. Street sweepers were working furiously, the cobblestones practically gleaming. In the houses and cottages, ponies were getting out their best clothes, cleaning them and polishing their hooves. In a few short hours, they would all be lining the streets awaiting the royal procession.

Back in the royal apartments a good-natured argument was taking place.

“This is all your fault you know. I am totally blaming you for this.” A somewhat flustered Icarus declaims.

“My fault?” the king says with umbrage, “and how exactly is it MY fault?”

“Oh don’t think I don’t know” Icarus says gesticulating wildly, much to the dismay of the fitters hovering around the both of them. “Planting ideas in Summergale’s head, which she then, of course, puts into BB’s head. Next thing you know I’m forced to take the ‘long walk’ with you.

“Forced?” Justice inquires.

“Well, ‘forced’ might be a little too strong of a word, but I’ll still stand by ‘coerced', 'shanghaied', 'cajoled', and 'I’d better, if I know what’s good for me’. BB can be quite... stubborn at times.”

“Well it IS good for you. And besides, if you really want to point hooves, I believe the blame squarely lies on the pony that said ‘Oh let’s go on a holiday!’ some time back. Do you remember the one I am talking about? Young guy? Full of himself?”

“Doesn’t ring a bell,” Icarus replies as an injudicious pin finds his flank. “By the Sky Stallion! I’ll be bled dry before the ceremony even begins. Meanwhile, I’ll bet the ladies are having the time of their lives. Mares love this kind of thing.”

“OH GREAT ZACHERLE! NOT AGAIN! BOOTS! HAND ME ME CUTLASS, I’LL SOON BE FIXING THIS VILE CONTRAPTION FOR GOOD AN ALL!”

“Sorry captain,” Boot’s responds morosely, ‘they’ve got me pinned down! It’s every mare for herself,”

“Ladies please!” The head seamstress, an intimidating Clydesdale of small patience responds. “Those are not ‘contraptions’ those are bustles. My team has been working on these outfits’ day and night to get them ready in time for the wedding. And if you so much as think of putting a cutlass, rapier, or butter knife to them, you’d better be prepared to have the aforementioned item broken over my knee and used as underpinning. Am I clear?”

“Yes ma’am,” they respond in unison.

“Good, now let’s get started on that unruly rats nest that you laughing call ‘hair’. Attendants, bring in the hot irons!” she says grinning wickedly.

“BY THE SKY STALLION! THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE ME WEDDIN DAY! AIN’T IT SUPPOSED TA BE ALL DREAMLIKE AN HAPPY?” Summergale wails.

The head seamstress breaks off her preparations to laugh heartily. “Oh you silly, silly, fillies. HONEYMOONS are all dreamlike and happy. WEDDINGS are stress filled gauntlets, filled with potential pitfalls and disasters at every turn. A rip in a dress, the cake getting burnt, the minister getting the hiccups, losing the rings, fires, floods, all manner of things can go wrong. And the bigger the wedding the more chances there are of disaster. Oh, and did I forget to mention that THIS is the largest wedding that Equinity has ever seen? It’s battle! It’s war! It’s Order vs. Chaos! And I’m a veteran of dozens of these things. Mark my word’s ladies, if I have anything to say about it, this wedding will be perfect! And that includes the actions of two young brides to be! Do we understand each other?”

Again the response in unison, “Yes ma’am!”

“Good. Now you two remain perfectly still while I go and see what’s taking them so long with those hot irons!”

After she has left the room Summergale says in a near whisper, “Boot’s, remind me when this is all over, ta hire her as a bodyguard on me ship. She’d have been a Godsend on that island with all them giant lizards.”

“Aye captain,” Boots whispers in return.

At the residence of Zacherle, Stonewall in full ceremonial regalia raises his hoof to knock on the door. The door silently opens before he can bring it forward. A musical voice echos from within. “I’ll be with you in a moment Stonewall,” she says. No pony had ever been inside Zacherle’s private residence, and a curious Stonewall, cannot help glancing inside. He looks down a marble hallway of purest white, and can barely make out Zacherle in the far room conversing with someone. Suddenly, the other figure disappears, and Zacherle makes her way to the door to join Stonewall.

“Apologies for the delay good sir. I had a few last minute details to wrap up.” She says. “You certainly are looking handsome today,” she comments, cause the normally stoic Stonewall to blush.

“Well, since both Icarus and king Justice wanted me to be their best man, I felt compelled to make an effort.”

“You must be very proud of them today. And the ladies to of course. An interesting idea for them to be each others maid of honor.” She remarks.

“They decided on that idea themselves. A bit unorthodox, but no more so than your decision to preside over the ceremony yourself. We are all very honored.”

“I wanted to do this, while I still can.” She replies enigmatically. “Stonewall, you keep your secrets well. If you will permit me, may I rely upon you in the next few months to assist me?”

“O-of course Great One! I am ever at your disposal!” Stonewall stammers.

“I thank you good sir. The road of ‘what must be’ can be a hard and lonely one to traverse. It heartens me to have someone to walk with me for a short time.”

“I don’t understand Great One.” Stonewall says in confusion.

“It matters not this day good sir. Let us partake in full of this joyous occasion, and leave aside worries of the future.”

“As you say Great One.” And they begin their journey to the palace together.

In what seems like no time at all, all the final preparations had been completed. Clothes have had their final alterations, Manes and tails have been styled and hooves had been polished. The throne room was packed to capacity. Hundreds of ponies from all across the lands had come for the royal wedding. Friends and family of Justice and Icarus had places of honor in the front of one side of the aisle, while the crew of the Maiden’s Fancy lined the front few rows of the other. All too soon the opening music began, and Justice and Icarus made their entrance as cheers erupted from both sides of the aisle. Summergale and Boots nervously waited outside the door for their cue.

“Um Boots, I’ve had a sudden thought I has.” Summergale says wide eyed with trepidation.

“Would your idea be involvin a quick dash for the nearest door or window captain? If so, I might be findin myself in agreement.”

A heavy hoof descends upon each bride to be’s shoulder. “You’ll both be fine. If it helps, don’t think about yourselves. Remember you are doing this for THEM. Can you imagine the trouble they would be in without you two to look after them?” Stonewall says in a wry tone.

“He’s right captain. Those two moon calves need us. We can handle this. It’s only a short walk.”

‘Aye Boots,” the captain replies sardonically, “that’s what they be sayin about the plank as well. But ye be right. It be a horrendous sacrifice we be about ta make. But it’s for their own good.” She says taking a deep breath.

Moments later the music had changed signaling the time for the brides to enter. Summergale and Boots made their entrance gracefully, escorted by Stonewall. The applause was deafening. They approached the dais and stood beside their respective partners. Zacherle stepped to the podium and began speaking.

“Surely there can be no greater joy than to find that one special some pony to walk beside you down life’s great journey. Today we are doubly blessed to bring these two couples together, to share the voyages of their lives. Who gives these mares to be wed?”

“I do, O’ Great One,” Stonewall intones.

"And who represents these stallions?”

“I do, O’ Great One,” Stonewall says yet again. Stonewall, do you accept the burdens of all four of these ponies happiness?”

“Gladly O’ Great one! To help Shepard them to this union has been one of my life’s great joys.”

“Very Well. Justice and Summergale have written their own vows, if you will all bear witness?” Shouts of “aye” from Summergale’s and Boots side, and genteel nods from Justice and Icarus’s side. “Then let them begin.”

Justice raises his head and speaks for all to hear.

“No flower fair, nor sparkling gem, nor rainbow in the sky,

could ever hope to dare approach, your beauty, in my eyes,

A steadfast heart, a will of iron, beneath a mane of fire,

a tender smile, a warm embrace, a love that knows no ire,

To know you is a pleasure, to hold you is pure bliss,

to know you love me truly, no joy can equal this,

I pledge my life, my heart and soul, my everlasting self,

to your every joy and happiness, to you and no one else.”

Summergale looks into Justice’s eyes, and without turning away begins to speak,

“BEFORE YE CAME INTO MY LIFE, I WAS ADRIFT AT SEA,

NEVER CARING WHERE I ENDED UP, OR WHERE I’D WANT TA BE,

I SCOFFED AT LOVE STRUCK SAILORS, WHO LEFT ME CREW AND SHIP,

TA MOOR THEMSELVES TO ONE PONY, TA SPEND A LIFETIME WITH,

I NEVER KNEW THE HOW’S OR WHYS, O’ TOUCHIN A PONY’S HEART,

I KEPT MESELF WELL WALLED AWAY, FROM THE VERY START,

BUT THEN ME BOYO THERE YE WERE, TWAS LIKE I WAS ENTRANCED,

YE BREACHED ALL ME DEFENSES, I NEVER STOOD A CHANCE,

WHY YE LOVE THE LIKES O’ ME, I’LL NEVER UNDERSTAND,

SO QUICK BEFORE YE CHANGE YER MIND, SLIP ON THEM WEDDIN BANDS!”

The crew of the Maiden’s Fancy all cheered uproariously, as did several ponies on the other side of the aisle.

Zacherle looked expectantly at Boot’s and Icarus, who looked at each other, and said at the same time, “What they said. Ditto.” More cheers from the crowd. Zacherle smiles sardonically for a moment, then begins.

“Very well. Do you Justice, son of Charity, take Summergale of Sorraia, to be your lawfully wedded wife? To love, honor and cherish, as long as you live, until death do you part?”

“I do.” he replies looking warmly into Summergale’s eyes.

“And do you Summergale of Sorraia take Justice son of Charity, to be your lawful wedded husband? To love, honor and cherish, as long as you live, until death do you part?”

“Aye” she said.

Zacherle shifts her gaze. Do you Icarus, son of Stonewall, (small gasps of surprise from many members of Summergale’s crew), take Beatrice (small gasps of surprise form the other side of the aisle), Brightwing to be your lawfully wedded wife? To love, honor and cherish, as long as you live, until death do you part?”

“I do.” Icarus replies without hesitation.

“And do you Beatrice Brightwing, take Icarus to be your lawful wedded husband? To love, honor and cherish, as long as you live, until death do you part?”

“Aye” she says, tears forming at the corners of her eyes.”

“The rings if you please.” And Stonewall holds between them a beautiful satin pillow upon which resides two sets of matching rings. The four ponies each pick up a ring from the pillow. “If you’ll repeat after me please. With this ring, I thee wed.”

And the four, in unison reply, “With this ring, I thee wed.”

Zacherle beams down at them in unabashed joy. “Gentle ponies, you may kiss your brides!”

The four ponies turned and bowed in acknowledgment to the crowd, and then began trotting down the aisle amid a shower of tokens. They passed through room after room of well wishers until they finally emerged into the courtyard. The roar from the crowd outside was deafening. They mounted a special chariot designed just for the occasion, and the four sped out over the drawbridge, and were carried along at a furious pace down to the city itself, where they proceeded along a prearranged route. The city's cathedral bells rang loud and long heralding their approach. And the ponies of the city began to cheer even before the happy couples came into sight. The ponies pulling the chariot ran tirelessly as they ran the circuit of the city for nearly an hour before returning to the castle proper.

Upon their return the cheers rang out again, as the four made their way into the grand dining hall. A feast of monumental proportions was laid before them, and afterwords they adjourned to the main ballroom. The music and dancing went on until well after dusk. But before the lateness of the evening, the two couples said their goodbyes, and went their separate ways amidst much good nature'd advice from friends.

Justice paused outside the main door to his chambers and swooped Summergale off of her hooves, and opening the door, he carried her across the threshold.

“Aren't ye supposed ta be doin that at the FRONT door of ye home?” she asks with a wry smile.

“Dear, we live in a castle. The front door is two floors, two sets of stairs, a hallway, and a courtyard away, can't we call this a fair compromise?” he asks in mock exasperation.

“I expect we can haggle something out.” She says embracing him as he sets her down. “What an adventure today was eh?” she says kissing him lightly.

Justice looks deeply into her eyes. “No my dear, today was just a party. Now begins our real adventure...”

And so it was...

Discord pause the remote before things go any farther. And is pleasantly surprised to not hear any groans of disappointment from behind him. “Well my friends. And you are ALL my friends. We are now about to come to a turning point in my tale. Some of the things you will soon see, I was never actually aware of at the time. I spent hundreds of years after the fact searching the past. Looking for many things. Answers, ways to prevent outcomes and still avoid paradoxes. Many reasons. I shall do my best to show you all that I have uncovered, in the order upon which they have occurred. I ask again, that if you are able, to find it in your hearts to forgive me for many of the things you are about to see. Even though my father could not. Still before all of those things occurred, there was this...” and Discord forwards the remote to a specific time and place and all therein bear witness to a NEW beginning...