• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,953 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,953

Part 2

Part 2
In the Beginning

"In the beginning,” the narrative voice of Morgan Free-mane intoned, "there was darkness. And from the void of space there came forth Zacherle, The Great Mare. And Zacherle raised up her hoof and drew forth matter from the void and fashioned it, and so the world of Equestria was created. And she saw that it was good. Then did she bid her companion Muenchinger, The Stallion in the Sky to fashion all manner of creatures to fill the world, and this he did. Birds and beasts and fishes of the sea, all these he brought forth, but the greatest and most special of all of his creations, were the ponies.

Earth ponies he did fashion first, and set them upon the land, then the Pegasus, to roam the clouds, next came the unicorns, wielders of magic, followed by the Flutter ponies, delicate avatars of nature, and then the Sea ponies to fill the vast oceans. No pony knows the origin of Zacherle and Muenchinger, or why they came to create our world. Some say they were from another dimension, a plane of chaos and strife, and that they came here to make a sanctuary, where love and joy could blossom and grow. What is known however, is that they knew there must be a balance to all things. Light is defined by shadow, just as shadow is cast by the light.

Knowing this, Zacherle and Muenchinger did cause there to be a vast island in the center of the ocean, surrounded by a dense fog, and a calm sea. In complete isolation, the creatures of chaos were made, and for every thing of goodness, and order, it's counterpoint would be created here. And so it was. And the works of Muenchinger being complete, he then retired to the sky. And Zacherle then descended and did abide in the lands of ponies for a time...”

"Whoa, whoa whoa!", Pinkie Pie interjects, as Discord frantically fumbles his magical remote control to pause the narrative. “The Great Mare? Stallion in the Sky? Flutter ponies, Sea ponies, I never heard of any of this!"

"Neither have I" Celestia responds, "In all my thousands of years, I've never heard mention of Zacherle or Muenchinger."

"This was long, long before your time Celestia. This world is older and grander than you can imagine.”

"And this land of darkness" Luna intones," I've never passed through the dreams of any creatures from there.”

" Ah,” replies Discord, "There's a reason for that... Um... me."

"You?" the ponies chorus.

"Yes, I kind of... sort of... destroyed it... but you'll see all that a little further in the story. Shall we resume?"

"Just one more thing,” Applejack asks, "So the first ponies in all of Equestria were Earth ponies?"

"Indeed" responds Discord, "In fact, the very term 'Earth' is rumored to be the name of the lands from which Zacherle and Muenchinger originally came from. Yours is a proud and noble race."

"Well I'll be dipped in applesauce, just wait till Granny Smith hears about this!"

"All right, back to the show then-"

"One more moment I implore, there is yet an answer I must explore.” Discord heaves a huge sigh, knowing what is coming.

"Yes Zecora?"

"You spoke of ponies from the sea, but when did Zebras come to be?"

"I knew this was coming" Discord sighs again, "The short answer is, I don't know. Some say Muenchinger created your race at the same time as the earth ponies, and set your tribes in the deep jungle. Some say you were created later. No pony knows for sure.

"I am not saddened by what you say, the world is great and vast, but you've given me much to ponder today, and perhaps, a new found task.”

"It must have come as a shock to you... that was a two-stanza couplet.” Rainbow Dash remarks over her shoulder. Zecora adopts an expression of mock irritation.

"If around me more you were, you'd find I sometimes feature, a more verbose style of speech, in Iambic tetrameter.”

" Iam... iambic... whatever, let's just get back to the movie.” Rainbow Dash flounces back down in a mild huff as Discord resumes the narrative being viewed.

“And lo the ponies did frolic, and went about free from want. For at the beginning of all things the world was fair and free of strife. Fruits grew in abundance, and the beasts of the land were tame and tranquil. Rain fell only at night, and the climate was forever mild. But as time passed the ponies did grow lethargic. Their culture began to stagnate, as they grew used to their paradise. No great works of pony kind arose. No great artists, or thinkers. For what need to strive, when all that one could desire was within easy reach. And Zacherle, and Muenchinger saw this, and were not pleased.

And so it came to pass that the gods lessened their abundance, and did let the weather rage and calm freely as it might. The beasts of the land were no longer tame, and many were the dangers to be found in the world. And the ponies cried out in fear and want, desirous of their former paradise. But the gods heeded not their pleas, despite the pain it caused them, for they knew that only through overcoming hardship and adversity would they be made strong. They retreated from their creations, but still remained their shepherds, although the ponies knew it not.

And it came to pass that the ponies did thrive. And made great works. Great thinkers came forth to lessen the hardships that plagued them. And all did come together in their times of need, to offer each other aid in overcoming their difficulties. And thus ‘Friendship’ came to be. And the gods saw that it was good. And the ponies did travel in groups, like with like, and spread forth across Equestria. And these groups became tribes, which wandered and settled in fertile lands. And in time boats and ships they did build, to explore and settle across the great seas. And so the seeds of ponidom were scattered across the whole of the world. And the gods saw this, and deemed it was good.

And the tribes found their gifts, each in their turn. The ponies of the earth grew in strength, and their knowledge was that of nature, and the growing of things, and the secrets of metals and their forging. The pegasi learned the gifts of the clouds, and of weather making, and great flying cloud cities they did make. Flutterponies who feared for their delicate wings, which could be harmed by the unrestrained rains and winds did develop their strength to unheard of degrees. Their seemingly delicate wings could summon great gales and gusts, which they used to blow threatening storms apart. The ponies of the sea spread out across the vast oceans, and lived in, and learned the secrets of the depths. And the unicorns, they learned the most wondrous, and elusive gift of all. Magic.

And the tribes of the world thrived. Each with their own ways. And they didst mingle with one another, and many thought of how they might bring their gifts together, and by doing so what wonders they might achieve. And the gods, upon seeing what they had sought begin to come to pass, returned to live among pony kind once more. Zacherle created her abode in Equinity, among the ponies of the land. And Muenchinger chose a dale in the clouds in which to abide. A dale which in time, grew to be one of the largest and most prominent of all the cloud cities.

And the ponies came forth, and ask the gods of many things. And of the understanding of the world, the gods gave their knowledge gladly. But when entreated for direction upon which to base their lives, the gods fell silent.

‘This world we gave to you,’ they would say, ‘so that you may find your own way. For by doing so, one day you may stand by our side as equals. Never shall we again directly intervene in the lives of ponies. For to do so invites lethargy and sloth. Advice we shall give gladly, if sought. But no more shall we live thy lives for thee.’ And the ponies took heed of their gods, and strove to find their own way in all things. And thus the tribes elected leaders from amongst themselves, who would guide each tribe toward the goals they sought to achieve. And many and vast were the things that were learned. And each tribe did develop their own cultures, and ways to live. And diversity was great in Equestria. And the gods did look upon the world, and saw that there was no stagnation, and there was no idleness, and they saw that it was good.

And the knowledge of the tribes were shared with each other thru the bounds of friendship, for war and jealousy were things yet unknown. But although the tribes did thrive, each in their own way, yet they yearned for more...