• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,952 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,952

Part 26

Part 26

Twilight Ascending

Twilight begins to make her way down the path that leads back to Ponyville. Although she has no intention on returning to her home, she walks alone much as she did before she left, to clear her mind and organize her thoughts. She stops abruptly as she is momentarily overcome with a sense of Jamais Vu, the feeling that she has never really been where she is standing. She stands upon the dirt of the road, feeling it with her hooves, using it to help ground her mentally as well as physically. How many years has it been? How many worlds has she seen. Countless lives she has helped save at the Doctor’s side. Her mind has been made privy to secrets of space and time that not even the so called ‘gods’ of Equestria had ever known. She has known wonders, and terrors, and most importantly love.

And now she was back. She was back to save her friends. Back to save her world. Mere moments ago subjective time she was walking down this same road, privately daunted by the task before her. Now she looks back on her long ago worries and shakes her head with disdain.

“I’m not the same.” She says aloud. As she speaks, she realizes the truth of her words. So many years. So many changes. “I used to be the Element of Magic,” she thinks to herself. “Discord was right, God, whoever she is, IS Iron.” she mutters bitterly.

She thinks about her friends, her parents, her home. “Is this still my home?” She thinks to herself. “Do I still have a place here?” She worries over these thoughts for a moment and then shakes them off. “Time enough for all that AFTER I save the world,” she says resolutely.

“Cheshire, please give me the approximate location of the deity level alicorn designation ‘Harmony’.” She says aloud.

“Warning, high levels of energy type designation ‘magic’ will necessitate rerouting power from other systems to perform the requested scan.” A voice says from over her shoulder.

“Acknowledged. Cheshire, disengage cloaking device, and resume scan.” Twilight replies.

“By your command, Mistress.” The voice says, as a metallic grin becomes visible, followed by the rest of a gleaming, mercury smooth, feline body which is perching on Twilight’s shoulder. After a moment the sleek metal cat leaps down to the ground and turns to face Twilight, executing a long slow stretch.

“Scan complete Mistress. Deity level alicorn designation ‘Harmony’ is at the indicated coordinates,” The metal feline known as Cheshire says, as her eyes gleam with an emerald light causing a three dimensional holographic map to appear before Twilight Sparkle. A red dot indicates the current position of Harmony.

“Good K.I.T.-E.” Twilight says, absently stroking its back.

“Thank you Mistress, activating ‘purr’ mode.” Cheshire says beginning to make a satisfying rumbling.

“Well, no sense putting this off,” Twilight says grimly. “Cheshire, track unit ‘Harmony’ confirm route and speed, establish trans-warp portal on intercept course with enough distance to avoid immediate detection.”

“By your command Mistress.” Cheshire says, and then a moment later. “Coordinates confirmed, trans-warp portal initializing.” This time Cheshire’s eyes glow a rich sky blue and a swirling vortex of energy springs to life before Twilight.

Without hesitation Twilight steps through the portal and emerges onto the soil of another part of Equestria, Cheshire leaps nimbly through the portal after her, and the vortex disappears. “Cheshire, arm all offensive and defensive countermeasures, reengage stealth mode and return.” Twilight says looking down.

“By your command Mistress,” Cheshire says. “All weapons systems armed, stealth mode engaged.” After a moment Twilight feels a comforting weight settle in on her shoulder once more.

“This has been a long time coming, far too long.” She mutters as she makes her way toward the direction Harmony is coming from. “Not that it would do any good, but times like this that really make me miss my mag-” Twilight breaks off her mutterings as she sees, coming around a nearby bend in the road, the alicorn known as Harmony.

Harmony’s gleaming crystal form is more radiant than Twilight remembers, do in no small part for the fact of seeing it in person. Although she had seemed lost in her own thoughts, she comes to a halt as she see Twilight for the first time.

“An alicorn?” Harmony says confused. “I don’t know you at all. Are you Celestia’s child?” She asks smiling.

“Uh, no ma’am,” Twilight says, some of her resolve wavering when confronted at last with Harmony in the crystal flesh.

“Luna’s then? But I always though she was...” Harmony begins, but Twilight cuts her off.

“No ma’am. Although I do know both of them. Actually I was born a unicorn, and later became an alicorn. My name is Twilight Sparkle, and I am/was the Element of Magic. One of the elements that the Tree of Harmony brought into being to counter your brother many years ago.” Twilight says in a rush.

Harmony steps closer to Twilight. “I see,” she says, bathing Twilight with the magic of her horn. “Yes, yes indeed, I do sense the magic of my tree about you... although it is very faint. Has the trees power diminished in my absence?” She asks, her voice filled with concern.

“No ma’am,” Twilight replies. “The tree’s magic has been doing it’s job quite well. In my case I have just undergone some... changes. But I assure you that Equestria is safe. At least from your brother.”

“I see. Well Twilight Sparkle, Element of Magic, at least in name, as much as I want to inquire as to the well being of my daughters which you claim to know, and the disposition of my brother, which you seem to know, I can only assume that we did NOT meet on this road by chance. You obviously sought me out for a reason. And since very, very, few ponies in this world have any idea of who I actually am, I would be very interested to hear what that reason is.” Harmony replies, a hint of ice in her voice.

“Well, no going back now,” Twilight thinks to herself. “I’m here your highness,” Twilight begins, “because I have seen the events of the past that occurred between you and your brother. And I am afraid that you may be seeking revenge on him by harming his new bride.”

“And if I am? What business is that of yours Twilight Sparkle?” She replies, even more ice in her tone.

“It’s my business,” Twilight replies, strongly, “because his bride Fluttershy is one of my best friends. She is a kind and decent pony, who has never harmed another living being. She has no part in your war with your brother. I am asking you to spare her.”

“Twilight Sparkle. If you know anything of the events of the past as you claim, then you know that Keil was as blameless and innocent as you say this ‘Fluttershy’ is. His innocence didn’t save him from his cruel demise. And Fluttershy’s will not save her. And with her sacrifice I will finally balance the scales of pain and loss, and my brother will be made to feel the anguish that has tormented me for all these thousands of years.” Harmony says with finality, fresh pain evident in her voice.

Harmony moves to walk past Twilight, but the purple alicorn moves to block her path, her wings outspread.

“Please your highness, allow me to say one thing more.” Twilight implores.

“Speak Twilight Sparkle, and then step aside, for I have vengeance to mete out, and I would brook no more delays.” Harmony says with a glare.

“Your highness. What if I told you... what if I offered you a trade? Would you be willing to spare my friend Fluttershy, and listened to what I have to say, if I offered you something else in return?” Twilight says.

“I can think of nothing in all of Equestria that could possibly equal the value of my long delayed revenge, Twilight Sparkle.” Harmony replies with disdain.

Twilight reaches beneath her mane and pulls out a small object. “would you reconsider if what I offered you... was this?” Twilight says extending what she has in her hoof toward Harmony.

Harmony instantly becomes frozen in shock. “THIS CANNOT BE!” She says, nearly shouting.

“It is.” Twilight replies calmly. “And retrieving it was one of the most difficult things that I have ever done. It may have even been responsible for my... condition.” She says sadly.

“Twilight Sparkle.” An abashed Harmony says falling to her knees before Twilight. “I will listen to whatever you have to say. I will DO ANYTHING you wish me to do, just please, please return that to me.”

“Of course your highness.” Twilight says, carefully placing the object she had sacrificed so much to obtain into the waiting hoof of Harmony.

Harmony looks at Twilight, now eye level with the younger alicorn. “You KNOW what this means to me, you KNOW what I intend to attempt.” She says, not as a question, but as a statement.

“Yes your highness, I do. And even though it will be bending the rules to say this, after all that you have been through, I think that you have the right to know. Your efforts WILL meet with success.” Twilight says, putting a hoof upon Harmony’s crystal shoulder.

Harmony seems to collapse upon herself with relief. “By the gods. By the gods.” She says, as new tears start forming at the edges of her eyes.

“NO.” Twilight says firmly, “believe me your highness, THOSE two had NOTHING to do with this,” she says bitterly.

“I sense great pain and loss from you young alicorn.” Harmony says gently. “You have traveled far and risked much, this I can clearly see. Ask of me what you will young Twilight. What would you have me do?”

Twilight’s face is stern and unforgiving. “There is much that we have to discuss. And much that you need to know. But as to what I want? What I want, is what you have always wanted. And I am here to help you get it. What I WANT is for this war to end once and for all. What I WANT is to help you finally get your REVENGE!”


The morning sun crested the horizon casting its rays into the bedroom window of Discord’s castle. Moments later his radio alarm goes off. “THIS IS THE TAIL, OF PONY MONTANYA-” Discord reaches over, his eyes still closed, and flails his claw wildly, “-A CUBANO MANE, WITH MIAMI NU-”, until he finally hits the off button.

“It’s too early in the morning for Michael Colton and Pony Island,” he mutters rubbing his eyes and facing the dawn.

He glances down at the still sleeping form of his bride, and smiles contentedly to himself. He allows himself a moment to gently stroke her mane, before quietly getting out of bed, and tucking her back in.

He makes his way to the bathroom and performs his morning ambulations before donning an apron and making his way to the kitchen. He begins snapping his claw repeatedly, and various ingredients begin mixing themselves and pouring their contents into frying pans and pots on an impossibly large stove. Although Discord knows he could simply snap his claws and have the food appear ready made for the huge breakfast crowd he was expecting, he found that over the centuries that he actually enjoyed the act of cooking. It made him happy inside when others eagerly wolfed down his homemade creations. And he took special pride in always including each pony’s personal favorites, every time one of them came over. He had mentally calculated the timing of his dishes to coincide with the arrival of everyone this morning. It promised to be a long and intense day of planning and preparation for his sister’s arrival tomorrow, so he intended to be sure that no pony was left wanting. He opened the windows facing the garden, letting the smells of his morning labors waft out onto the breeze. Soon, when the portals went up, those smells would be the first thing to greet his arriving guests. He glanced at the clock hanging on the wall, and snapped his claws rapid fire a few more times, adding additional burners and pots to the stove and starting even more dishes cooking. It was taking quite a bit of concentration to keep track of all he had going, so he couldn’t help but feel some consternation when suddenly he heard a knocking on the kitchen door.

He looked over at the clock again. “By the beard of the sky stallion. Who in Equestria would show up THIS early? Fluttershy is still in bed, and none of the food is anywhere near completed. And I know for a FACT that I haven’t opened any portals up yet.” He says to himself, deftly flipping two griddles of flapjacks. The knocking begins again. “All right, all RIGHT. I’ll be there in just a moment. He says making his way to the door, glancing back to make sure nothing is burning. “Whoever you are, you are far too early. Breakfast won’t be ready for at LEAST another forty-five minutes, and Fluttershy is still fast asleep.” He says as he throws open the door.

“Oh that’s just fine with me brother.” Harmony says, as she and Twilight walk in and find seats at the kitchen table. “It’ll give us a chance to catch up.” Just then two pieces of toast pop up from one of the many toasters that have been set. “Mine,” Harmony says fielding the catch with her magic, as Twilight goes over to one of Fluttershy’s cabinets and brings out some honeysuckle preserves.

“Oh you simple HAVE to try these preserves your highness,” Twilight says, “Fluttershy makes them herself. The best in all of Equestria in my opinion.”

Harmony spreads a generous helping on a piece of toast, offering the other piece to Twilight as she takes a big bite. “By the goddess! You are right Twilight Sparkle! Truly this ‘Fluttershy’ has a great gift. I would very much like to take a few jars home with me.”

“Oh I’m sure she would be delighted to let you have some. She cans quite a lot of extras, just for her friends.” Twilight says enthusiastically.

The two chat together, Harmony magically bringing this and that to the table as it finishes cooking, and soon they begin to eat in earnest.

During this entire exchange, from the moment that his sister brazenly entered his home, Discord had become frozen to the spot. Had it not been for the surreptitious efforts of his sister, the entire kitchen would have caught on fire long before now. Shock didn’t even come close to what the chaos lord was experiencing. His mind kept replaying the events of the last fifteen minutes over and over trying to get them to make sense.

“I was cooking,” he thought to himself. “Okay, that’s normal. Then I heard a knock at the door. Still normal. Then I opened the door. Still good so far. Then Twilight and my sister walked in, sat down, and started mooching all of my food. Ah!... THERE is where it all goes wonky,” he thinks to himself.

Still unmoving, he turns his eyes toward the table.

“Suuuup.” Harmony says, waving a piece of toast in greeting.

“Yup, she’s still sitting there. Eating my toast, NOT destroying my home, or shouting for vengeance. Which is GOOD,” he thinks hastily. “But... but...” it was then that his thoughts were interrupted.

Fluttershy, wrapped in her morning robe makes her way into the kitchen. She yawns and stretches, and throws her arms around her husband’s neck. “MMM, something smells REALLY good!” She says delightedly. “You really need to cook like this more often.”

Discord wordlessly raise one claw and points toward the dining room table. Fluttershy glances in that direction.

“Oh hello Twilight, you’re here awfully early, and your friend, isn’t she-” and Fluttershy also stops speaking.

Harmony rises from the table. “Ah, you must be Fluttershy! Twilight has told me SO much about you. By the goddess, you are even more beautiful than she described! I am, of course Harmony. I must say, you may be the element of kindness, but you should be the element of cooking. Tell me, how do you make those wonderful preserves taste so good.” She asks, taking Fluttershy’s hooves in her own.

The moment his sister touched his wife, the spell that had been holding the chaos lord in confused stasis was broken. “Twilight.” he says, his voice rising. “Explain... now!”

“Oh, I went and met her on the road yesterday evening.” Twilight says casually. “We had a talk, and now everything is okay.”

“Everything is... okay.” Discord says in a flat voice. “You met my sister... Talked with her for a few hours... And hundreds of thousands of years worth of vendetta is now suddenly over.”

“Yes, that’s right.” Harmony confirms. “You’re looking well by the way. Must be married life.”

Fluttershy blushes as she too comes out of her shock. “Well, he IS quite a handful,” she says.

“No, no, no. Hold everything!” Discord says as all the cookery pauses in midair. “Sister. Are you just going to sit there with honeysuckle jam dribbling down your crystal chin, and tell me that you have NO intention of harming my wife? Or myself? That suddenly, just because you talked to Twilight Sparkle, that everything has been forgiven, forgotten, and filed away? EVERYTHING?”

“What can I say? She’s a VERY persuasive speaker.” Harmony says, wiping preserves off her chin with a napkin. “Look brother, if it will makes this easier for you, then let me say this. I Harmony, daughter of Justice and Summergale give my solemn word that I will not now, or ever, harm my brother Cordial, or his bride Fluttershy. There, is that good enough for you?”

“Works for me,” Twilight says, as she makes her way over to one of the floating griddles and plates herself a stack of flapjacks.

“Well, if it’s good enough for Twilight, I guess it’s good enough for me as well,” Fluttershy says, also helping herself to a plate of food and sitting down next to Harmony.

“Oh my dear, we have SO much to talk about, the stories I could tell you about THIS one,” Harmony says pointing over at Discord, “from back when he was a colt.”

“I’m all ears... sister.” Fluttershy adds hesitantly.

‘I’m still asleep. This is a dream. A very strange and disturbing dream.” Discord says.

“Nope.” Twilight responds.

“Then what in Equestria is going on?” he asks her in a lost voice.

“The end of the world as you know it.” Twilight replies enigmatically, as she calmly butters another piece of toast.