• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,952 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,952

Epilogue 1

Epilogue 1
Everything Old is New Once Again

Less than twenty-four hours had passed since the dragon Sorcery had been defeated, and the Gods had returned to Equestria. High above the churning maelstrom that spiraled endlessly where once had existed the Island of Chaos, the two Gods of Equestria floated in mid air, along side a recently transformed Stonewall. Finally Muenchinger broke the silence.

“Are you that THIS of all places, is where you two want to retire?” he asked the two alicorns hovering by his side.

“It seems fitting,” Zacherle replied. “And once we reestablish our wards it will be as unapproachable as it ever was. Besides, I can think of worse places to retire than an island paradise.”

“Very well,” Muenchinger says in resignation. He waves a hoof and the waters cease to churn. With another wave the island is restored. He spends a few minutes adding some geographical perks, a lagoon with a view of the setting sun, another for when it rises. A few lakes, a river, fruit trees of every sort, and so on. “Well,” he says at last, “That seems like a good start, if you’ll look over to the east you can see a clearing, which, in my opinion, is prime real estate for whatever we all decide to live in.”

“Where do you mean?” Zacherle asks, shielding her eyes with her hoof, as she pretends to look for the empty clearing her companion spoke of. “Is it before or after the one with the blue box sitting on the edge of it?” She asks, a wry smile on her muzzle.

“No!... It can’t be!... We just MADE this place!” Muenchinger says in growing horror, knowing full well who the box must belong to.

The three quickly descend to face the front of the box, just as the door begins to open.

A now familiar looking pony walks out. “Hello neighbors!” He says cheerfully, as he raises his hat in their direction, before walking past them to place a small box onto the ground in the center of the clearing. Before the two can speak, Twilight and her daughter Paradox emerge from the box.

“Oh, hello Muenchinger, Zacherle, and Stonewall isn't it?.” Twilight says, a bit less exuberantly than her husband. Are you here for the house warming?”

“House... warming?” Muenchinger says in confusion. “Um, pardon me Twilight, I just need to have a quick word with your husband.” And with that he walks away, leaving Twilight and her daughter facing a laughing Zacherle and her consort.

“He didn’t seem very... happy.” Twilight says to the goddess.

“Oh, he’s just getting old Twilight.” Zacherle says with a smile. “It takes him longer to get used to new ideas. So, you three are planning to move here?” She asks as she conjures an ice cream cone for Paradox. The young alicorn makes a happy squeal, before flying off with her treat.

“Well, not exactly ‘move’ here. But we did want to have a place of our own. The Doctor said he’ll rig my closet door in the castle to open in our place here. That way I can come and go whenever I like. And being time travelers I’ll never need to worry about them not being here when I do.”

“How very clever of him,” Zacherle said, looking over toward the pony in question as he spoke calmly to an increasingly flustered Muenchinger. Finally Muenchinger threw up both his fore hooves and began stomping back toward Twilight and Zacherle, an extremely irate look upon his face.

“I think it best that we go.” He told Zacherle in clipped tones.

“Go where?” She asked innocently in return.

“The other side of the island, and I’m raising a mountain range across it. A really tall one.” He said as he became airborne.

“I’ll wait a bit to remind him that a mountain range really isn’t an obstacle for you three,” Zacherle whispers to Twilight, as they both share a smile. A moment later Zacherle and Stonewall, join the other God, as they fly toward the horizon. Twilight walks over to join her husband.

“What did you say?” Twilight asks her husband in a tone that implied he had been up to no good.

“Who, me?” The Doctor replies, with a familiar toothy grin. “Nothing much. I just mentioned that a small tract of land would be small compensation for my efforts in ridding the world of THEIR mistake.”

“Your efforts?” Twilight said narrowing her gaze in mock irritation.

“Ah, of course I meant ‘our’ efforts. Including of course, all of your wonderful friends.” He says, backpedaling quickly.

“Better,” Twilight says simply, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. “So are you ready to show me this surprise of yours?” She asks.

“Indeed I am,” The Doctor replies bending down to open the box before him. “Paradox, we are getting ready to start.” The Doctor says, letting his voice carry to the edge of the clearing where Paradox hovers upside down letting ice cream melt down into her mouth as she watches a very perplexed monkey attempting to eat a banana the same way.

“Coming Dad!” she says, teleporting to his side.

Without another word the Doctor opens the box before him, and a river of shiny gray metal flows outward into the clearing before them. The air fairly vibrates with energy as the metal wave begins to flow upward from the ground shaping itself into a complex pattern.

“Nanobots?” Twilight asks.

“Indeed,” The Doctor replies. “A primitive technology, but one that will do the job just fine. No need to over do things after all.” He says as they watch the progress.

Before the three ponies eyes, the nanobots finish outlining the shape of the structure they are creating. Then they begin to transform air and sand particles on a subatomic level, and with a flash of light they expire leaving the finished structure before them.

The Doctor raises he sonic screwdriver and quickly takes a reading. “Ah, perfect down to the last detail, both inside and out. Well,” The Doctor says proudly, “what do you think?”

“It’s... it’s... I-I have no words!” Twilight says, her voice filled with awe.

“Ooooh, Mommy’s never been like THAT before!” Paradox says, as her mother playfully swats her horn.

“Quiet you,” Twilight says in mock severity, before turning to her husband. “All this time and you STILL keep finding ways to surprise me. Thank you!” She says, throwing her arms around his neck.

“Come on Twilight,” he says, putting his hooves around her and his daughter and giving them both a tight hug. “Let’s go home.” And with that, Twilight Sparkle, along with her daughter and husband, make their way to the front door of the Golden Oaks Library.

Almost one year later.

“Oh Twilight, thank you so much for inviting us to have our Family Reunion in your new home. It really means a lot to Discord and me.” Fluttershy says, blushing slightly.

“Well, after all you have been through lately, the least I could do was take the burden of playing host off of your shoulders.” Twilight says as the two emerge from the portal at the head of the library stairs.

“Well, we REALLY appreciate it. At the very least allow Discord to help get everything ready before every pony else shows up tomorrow. I actually expected him to be here by now.” Fluttershy adds thoughtfully.

“Oh, he’s around back. He’s letting Paradox finish up her baseball game before turning the backyard into ‘party central’ as he calls it.

“Baseball game?” Fluttershy asks in confusion. “There are other ponies her age on the island? I thought it was just the three of you?”

“Well, we do have a couple of distant neighbors,” Twilight says evasively. “But no, no ponies her age.”

“Then who is she playing with?” Fluttershy inquires.

“Easier for you to see for yourself,” Twilight says with a smile, as they make their way into the back yard.

The first thing they see is a small row of bleachers in front of a regulation size baseball field. Discord and the Doctor are sitting midways up in the center, both are munching on bags of popcorn. Down and to the right of the bleachers, is an overturned packing crate, on it sits and old style microphone which is currently being yelled into by Paradox who is wearing her father’s fedora. This is the most normal thing to be seen by Fluttershy as she approaches.

“And it’s a high fly ball to right field, ‘Next Tuesday’ is fading back, she leaps high into the air, oh, and comes up short as the ball just misses the tip of her glove. ‘Three weeks from Friday’ is rounding first, she’s heading to second, ‘Next Tuesday’ retrieves the ball, and fires off a cannon of a shot to a ‘Month from Thursday’. It’s going to be close.” Paradox says jumping up, and shielding her eyes with her dad’s fedora.

“Yer OUT!” The umpire yells.

“Oh, and ‘Three weeks from Friday’ is NOT happy with the call. Paradox announces as the pony in question kicks dirt on the umpire’s hooves. A moment later she is ejected from the game.

Fluttershy and Twilight join their respective husbands on the bleachers, as the two teams trade places for the end of the ninth inning.

Um, Twilight... how many Paradoxes am I seeing here?” Fluttershy asks looking at every member of both teams in confusion.

“Well, counting both teams, the coaches, the umpires, and the announcer, oh and the scorekeeper, I’d say... Twenty-six.” Twilight says, quickly doing the math.

“And what the announcer Paradox was saying, are they really from ‘Three weeks from Friday’, and ‘Next Tuesday?’” Fluttershy asks, trying to wrap her mind around what she is seeing.

“Oh no. Not at all. If any of them knew when the other Paradox’s were from, it would give them an unfair advantage. No, every time they have a game Paradoxs will show up from different periods of time. They all agree on the same rules. No flying, no magic, and no one knows when anyone is from. Apparently they are all within the same year though, so they don’t give anything away by looking older. Every one of her puts their name in a hat, mixes it up and draws out a name that they will go by for the rest of the game. Except of course, for the oldest who is always the referee since she knows the outcome of the game and every call ahead of time, and the youngest, or current Paradox from today. She is always the announcer, since she hasn’t seen any of this before, therefore she adds the most excitement to each call she makes.”

Fluttershy looks back and forth between the Doctor, Discord, and Twilight, as the end of the last inning begins. “None of you have any problem following any of this?” She asks, a mild headache beginning to form.

All three of them look at each other for a moment and shrug their shoulders.

“The ‘Wednesday Mornings’ are up by three going into the bottom of the ninth, and the ‘Monday Afternooners’ have just one more at bat. Personally though, all my bits are all on Paradox. She really comes though in a pinch,” Discord says.

Twilight nods her head in agreement.

Fluttershy let’s our a small sigh, as she rubs her temples. “Just pass me the popcorn dear,” she says looking up at her husband.

“That’s the pony I fell in love with!” Discord says, passing her the bag as he wraps his arm around her.

She rests her head on his shoulder, as the afternoon sun sinks toward the tops of the trees. She snuggles into his shoulder, munching contently and trying really hard NOT to try to make sense of what is going on before her. Instead she focuses on the trees and sky, letting the voice of Paradox do all the work for her.

“And it’s a high fly ball to center field! ‘Next Sunday’ really got a piece of that one! ‘Four Sundays from now’ is rounding second, ‘Two Sundays from next’ is rounding third, and ‘This Sunday’ is making her way to second, as ‘Next Sunday’ almost catches up with her on her way to first. ‘Next Wednesday' has faded back to the fence... she jumps, trying to make a desperate catch, but falls short. That ball is OUTTA HERE! It’s a home run! A home run! The ‘Monday Afternooners’ win it, with a month of Sundays batted in!” The Paradox announcer says, yelling herself hoarse, as she waves her father’s fedora in the air excitedly.

“That’s my girl,” Twilight says proudly, As Paradox looks on in disgust as Paradox rounds third to the wild cheers of her team of Paradox who all rush out to home plate to congratulate her on the winning run, meanwhile Paradox runs up from the announcers table.

“Paradox, just a quick word. How does it feel to score the game winning run, and snatch victory for your team, from the jaws of defeat?”

“You’ll find out soon enough!” Paradox says happily, as she pulls the fedora off of Paradox’s head and throws it into the bleachers to be deftly caught by the Doctor who replaces it onto his head in one smooth, fluid move.

“We knew you’d do that daddy!” Twenty-five voices say in unison.

“All right everyone, time to scoot,” The Doctor says in reply, grinning hugely at the army of daughters before him. “Discord needs to get ready for the reunion. We’ll do it all again next week.”

“Okay daddy,” the reply comes again in unison as twenty-five Paradox’s vanish leaving the twenty-six behind.

“That was the best game ever!” The lone Paradox says excitedly.

Discord floats down from the bleachers to stand before her. “Oh if you think THAT was fun, just wait until tomorrow!” He says with a mischievous grin, before snapping his claws.

Author's Note:

Paradox is rapidly becoming my second favorite pony. :raritywink: