• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,953 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,953

Part 28

Part 28
Confessions in the White Room

Twilight made as if to move toward the solid looking door hanging before her in the white abyss. But a hoof on her arm arrested her movement. She turned to see Rarity and her other friends all facing her. None of them looked happy.

“Twilight darling,” Rarity said, her grip still strong upon Twilight. “You asked us all to trust you, and we did. You ALSO said that you were going to explain what this is all about, and the rest of us think that the time for that has arrived.” Rarity glances over her shoulder for support from her other friends.

“Yeah, spill it Twi. Where the heck are we? And why does that guy look like pre-chaos Cordial?” Rainbow Dash says pointing at the alicorn in question, who remains standing silently beside the door.

“I reckon they are BOTH right,” Applejack says, “And if that don’t tell ya sumtin’ all on its own...”

“Twilight. Why did you ATTACK my husband!” Fluttershy accuses, her voice filled with anger. There is no hesitation or apology in her expression, as Pinkie Pie attempts to restrain her.

Twilight Sparkle, hangs her head, and mutters to herself. “I didn’t even ask them if they would come with me... I just took them. By Rassilon, have I changed so much?” She looks at all of her friends for a long moment. “Your right. You are all right. The time has come to tell you everything.”

“Twilight, I don’t know how long I can keep us hidden.” Ego says worry in his voice.

“It’ll have to be long enough.” Twilight says with finality. “They deserve to know.” Twilight looks at Ego with concern. “Just do your best, and if they find us, let me know.” Ego simply nods in return.

“Okay everyone. To start with, Discord has been harboring the elemental of chaos known as Sorcery, ever since his battle with him on the isle of chaos.”

“That thing has been inside my husband? All this time?” Fluttershy says, recoiling in horror.

“Calm down Fluttershy. Yes, he was inside of Discord, but he was just hiding in there, mostly dormant.” Twilight says, trying to comfort her friend.

“But wait, HOW dormant? Who did I marry? Discord or... or that thing?” Fluttershy replies close to tears.

This draws an immediate reaction from Ego, who rushes to her side.

“Fluttershy, listen to me. Our love, our marriage, that was to me, and ONLY me. Please believe me! There was no part of Sorcery that had any influence in that. In fact, ever since I fell in love with you, he has withdrawn his influence almost completely. If it wasn’t for the fact that I was still being kept from the rest of my mind, I’d almost have thought that he had been nothing more than a dream. I still don’t understand why though.” Ego says holding Fluttershy’s hoof and stroking her mane.

The Pegasus seemingly not at all flustered that this alicorn looked nothing like her husband.

“I know why.” Twilight says. “When the Doctor picked me up last night, he told me what Sorcery was after. What he has been after all this time. He want’s Discord to father a child. Then he plans to slip out of Discord’s mind, erasing all memory of his presence as he goes, and then posses the baby.”

“But why?” Ego asks in confusion. IF he could leave, why hasn’t he already? Why does he want my child?”

“Power.” Twilight says simply.

“You nearly managed to destroy him during your battle. From what the Doctor was able to determine by gathering information from alternate futures, during those final moments, in an act of desperation, he projected his remaining essence into your mind, and fused with it.”

“That last attack.” Ego says, recalling the battle. “He said something odd, and then fired a beam of chaos, but it passed harmlessly through my mental avatar. Of course! He wasn’t targeting my avatar. He sent HIMSELF through that beam. All I did was destroy a shell he left as a target!”

“Exactly,” Twilight replies. “And the reason he hasn’t left, is because you are the only Chaos user in Equestria. But that isn’t enough for him. He want’s both halves. He wants to be able to use Order as well. Sorcery knows that your body was reformed from pure chaos, and could never use order again. But if you had a child with a normal pony. Better still, one that is infused with Harmony’s order magic, such as the element of kindness...”

“The child would have the potential to use both halves of magic.” Ego says in shock.

“And since the child would be made from a part of the same being as he is inhabiting at the moment, he would be able to possess it without needing to be invited inside.” Twilight concludes. “He’s waited all this time, for the one loophole that would let him lay plans to conquer the whole world.”

“But you somehow figured all this out. And then got Harmony to help you. What haven’t you told us yet Twi?” Applejack asks.

“Well... Okay, this will be hard to explain. But... when the Doctor met me last night, I left with him. We were gone for a long, long time.” Twilight says lowering her head.

“How long are we talking about sugar cube?” Applejack asks, “all night?”

Twilight shakes her head. “Years, Applejack. I was gone for many, many years. The Doctor picked me up in his time machine. When we finished making all of our plans, he brought me back and dropped me off at the same time I left.”

Stunned silence greets this confession, as Twilight’s friends struggle to come to terms with the fact that she hasn’t been a part of their lives for so much of her own.

“So...so wait.” Pinkie says breaking the silence. “I’ve been missing your BIRTHDAYS?!?” she says in horror. “What should I do? Have a whole bunch of parties one after the other? Or hold a super mega ultra make up birthday party?”

Twilight smiles a genuine smile at her friend. “It’s good to know some things haven’t changed.” she says.

“Oh yes darling, leave it to Pinkie Pie, to put things in their proper perspective,” Rarity says with a wink.

“I’d been gone for so long.” Twilight confesses. “I’ve seen other worlds, I’ve traveled through time and space. And by all of Equestria, you should see the size of that pony’s LIBRARY!” she says in near drooling amazement.

All of her friends facehoof, practically in unison.

“And that explains it.” Applejack says. “Not even the end of the world would keep Twilight Sparkle out of a library full of new books to read. So what’s this Doctor fella like?” she asks.

“Well,” Twilight replies shyly. “He’s incredibly smart. Although he CAN be absentminded... in a cute way though,” she adds.

“Did she just say cute?” Rainbow Dash whispers to Fluttershy who nods back in reply.

“And he’s all about helping people,” Twilight continues, “no matter if they are pony or dragon or alien, or whatever. He won’t ever turn his back on someone in need.”

“He sounds wonderful my dear,” Rarity says sliding up beside Twilight. “So do tell us, is he handsome?”

Twilight’s lavender face turns completely scarlet at the question. “I- I um, hadn’t really noticed.” Twilight stammers, as she rubs the back of her head.

“Twilight, there can’t be much time left.” Ego says frantically. “I’m afraid you need to cut to the chase.”

“Yes. Well... Um, it took some doing, but the Doctor and I went back in time to a certain moment, and retrieved something that we used to convince Harmony to not go after Fluttershy, and instead help us with our plans.”

“What was it?” Pinky asked. “Was it a cupcake? No... was it the VERY FIRST CUPCAKE?” she asks excitedly.

“No Pinkie. It was a fragment of stone. A fragment of stone from Keil’s statue after it was blown up by Sorcery.”

“I KNEW I didn’t do that!” Ego blurts aloud.

“But darling, we all saw Harmony reassemble the statue before she tried to restore Keil to life.” Rarity says.

“And that was why she couldn’t, because all this time she had been missing one tiny fragment. There was no way for her spell to work unless the ENTIRE statue was reassembled.” Twilight admits.

“Now hold on a second sugar cube. Are you saying that if ya’ll hadn’t gone back in time and took that fragment, then Harmony woulda been able to restore Keil way back then. But if she did that, then she wouldn’t have come after Fluttershy in the first place.” Applejack says.

“Exactly” Twilight replies.

“Okay, I’m completely confused. How exactly would that have been a bad thing?” Rainbow Dash asks.

“Because Rainbow,” Twilight says patiently, if she didn’t try to come after Fluttershy now, then we wouldn’t have had any way to persuade her to help us with her brother.”

“But...but wait, if she had saved Keil back then, wouldn’t that have changed everything that happened since then? Without Harmony being mad at him, how do we know that she wouldn’t have figured it out on her own?” Rainbow asks, struggling to keep it all in order.

“Because I was in a time machine.” Twilight replies. “I saw where all the possible futures converge, and the only one that didn’t end up with Sorcery taking over the world, is the one where what we did, and are continuing to do, happens.” Twilight hangs her head again. “I know I should have told you all this before I drug you all in here. It wasn’t right. It wasn’t fair. I didn’t ask you if you would come along. I just assumed, and then basically kidnapped you all. I- I had been gone for so long,” Twilight says, tears filling her eyes as her voice chokes with emotion, “I had forgotten how to behave to my friends. M- my best friends... I’m sorry. I’m so sorry!” She says, as the tears roll down her cheek unchecked.

Fluttershy rises to her hooves, and calmly walks over to Twilight. When she is sure that she has the alicorn’s full attention, she rares back and slaps her resoundingly across the cheek. Even Pinkie Pie is stunned into silence.

“Now you listen to me Twilight Sparkle!” She says, grabbing her stunned friend by the shoulders. It doesn’t matter how far away you go, or how long you are gone, we... will... always... be... your... friends!” she emphasizes each word with a shake.

Then she pulls the still stunned Twilight to her shoulder in a tight hug. “For being the smartest alicorn I know, you can be really stupid sometimes Twilight. Do you really think that any of us are mad at you? For wanting to save my husband? For wanting to save the world? I don’t know if you can remember all the way back to yesterday, but we used to do this kind of thing at least once a week.” Fluttershy says as she holds Twilight at arms length. “Now you may have went and got old on us,” she says chidingly, “but us youngsters are still spry enough to pick up your slack. Right girls?” she says, looking over her shoulder with a wink.

“Yeah, it’s okay if Twilight has ‘slowed down’, I’m fast enough for the both of us,” Rainbow says with a grin.

“Ah reckon Granny can spare one of her rocking chairs for Twilight. They can sit and talk about the old days while we go save the world for her.” Applejack adds.

“Oh and I’ll make you a simple stunning sun bonnet,” Rarity adds, “it will help reduce all those wrinkles while sitting in the sun.”

“And don’t you worry Twilight,” Pinkie says patting her hoof, “I’ll be sure it’s only bran muffins from now on.”

This last has finally proven too much for Ego who has fallen to his knees whooping with laughter. “And THIS is why I love you guys!” he says when he finally regains his voice.

“Oh har de har har.” Twilight says rolling her eyes. “I have really missed this sooo much,” she says her voice as flat as Maud’s and laced with sarcasm. Her friends all look up at her, The edge of sadness hovering in their searching gazes. Up until they see the mischievous grin curling up the side of Twilight’s mouth. Then they all swamp her with a hug.

“Thanks girls. I needed that. I really did.” Twilight says as they break their embrace.

“Any time darling.” Rarity says. “That’s what friends are for.”

As this exchange is going on, Applejack sidles up to Fluttershy. “That was a nice right cross there, miss ‘element of kindness’.” She whispers to her friend.

“Tough love,” Fluttershy responds. “Sometimes you have to seem cruel to be kind.” A sly look crosses Fluttershy’s normally innocent face. “So Applejack, how are YOU doing? Need to feel the love?” She asks, pretending to rare back her hoof again.

“No, that’s quite alright sugar cube, I reckon I can feel the love just fine from over here.” She says backing away both her hooves held up in mock surrender before her.

“Okay, if you say so,” Fluttershy replies, her face once again a mask of pure innocence.

“Sooo,” Rainbow Dash says. “Now that you got us here. What exactly do we need to do to defeat Sorcery? That Ego guy said something about freeing something called a super-ego. Is that like a super powered form of Discord, with yellow spiky hair, who’s gonna beat Sorcery up?” She asks hopefully.

“Not... exactly. “Twilight says, trying to come up with a way to explain. “It’s like this. There are three parts to a pony’s mind. The Id, the Ego, and the Super-ego. Although these are actually just caballiomorpic personifacations, inside this mindscape they are as real as we are.” Twilight raises a hoof, “caballiomorpic means pony like, and personification basically means we are making abstract concepts into something we can deal with.” A chorus of “Oh’s, and “I get it’s” meet this response.

“Anyway,” Twilight continues, “The Id is a mass of instinctive drives and impulses, and needs immediate satisfaction at all times. The Id knows no judgements of value: no good and evil, no morality. The Id is what we have at birth. It is primitive and basic. The Ego,” here Ego issues a small wave, “is the organized part of the personality structure. Conscious awareness resides in the Ego. The Ego attempts to mediate between Id and reality, it tries to cloak the commands of the Id with its own rationalizations, to conceal the Id's conflicts with reality. The ego is a regulating mechanism that enables the individual to delay gratifying immediate needs and function effectively in the real world. Like when you resist the urge to just take other people's belongings, but instead purchase them.” The other ponies nod in understanding. Encouraged by this, Twilight presses on."Thus the ego, driven by the Id, confined by the Super-ego, repulsed by reality, struggles to bring about harmony among the forces and influences working in and upon it, and will readily break out into realistic anxiety regarding the external world, moral anxiety regarding the super-ego, and neurotic anxiety regarding the strength of the passions in the Id. It has to do its best to suit all three, thus is constantly feeling hemmed by the danger of causing discontent on two other sides.”

“It’s a thankless job,” Ego says. “The Id is like this spoiled child. An insanely powerful spoiled child, that constantly needs attention. And on the other hand, the Super-ego is a pretentious jerk.”

“Coming off a bit harsh, but essentially correct.” Twilight says. “The Super-ego works in contradiction to the Id. The super-ego strives to act in a socially appropriate manner, whereas the Id just wants instant self-gratification. The super-ego controls our sense of right and wrong and guilt. It helps us fit into society, by getting us to act in socially acceptable ways.”

“Except now Sorcery controls the Super-ego,” Ego explains. “Although he can’t fine tune his commands without me, what he can do is simply unleash the Id on what ever target he wants. The Id is primal. Primal desire, primal rage. When Sorcery made me taunt Sombra, he did it so that I would be hurt enough to just let go, when I stopped trying to fight against his influence, he turned the full rage of my Id loose on Sombra,” Ego says, shaking his head. “We have to free the Super-ego from Sorcery’s control, so that the three parts of my mind can reunite, then I can unmake him like I should have from the start.”

“Right, I think that catches us all up, but tell me, you were speaking about monsters from the Id. What can we expect out there?” Twilight asks.

“Anything,” Ego says. “I’m not exaggerating. All of Cordial’s childhood fears, real or imagined, could be out there. Sorcery sends some of them after me to keep me in line, but I’m sure he keeps the really dangerous ones guarding the Super-ego.” Ego notices Fluttershy begin to tremble. “But, it isn’t as bad as it could be.” He says, trying to cheer her up. “You six are entire, complete, minds. And you are in a mental realm. That means that you are each as powerful as you think you are in here. Reality around us will be fixed according to Sorcery’s desires, but your PERSONAL reality, your sense of self, is all your own. You are literally as powerful as you think you can be. And from what I’ve seen of you six in the real world, that’s pretty powerful,” he adds encouragingly.

“Right, you heard him girls, we CAN do this. We get to the Super-ego, free it, and let Cordial take out the trash.” Twilight says to her friends, as they rally around her. “Now all we need...” but Twilight words are cut off, as the entire space around them begins to shake.

“We took to long,” Ego says, trying to steady himself. “They found the white room. Hurry, it will only take them a moment to...” but it was too late, for the moment had already arrived.

Unbelievably, the entire top half of the white room is ripped off, reveling a wild chaotic skyline of contrasting colors. But the sky was completely ignored by the group, who’s attention was focused on the horror that had done this damage. A huge gelatinous creature, nearly the size of Twilight’s former library, began to lash thick rope like tentacles down at the shocked ponies.

“O-OSHBOGGAN!” Ego cried in horror. The creature began to grab the ponies, still in stunned disbelief, before they had a chance to flee. Seeing one thick tentacle snaking down toward Fluttershy, Ego broke from his trance, and leaped at her in a tackle that pushed them both free of the range of the monster’s attack. Scrabbling in horrified desperation at the ground, Ego tore open a hole in the very fabric of the floor of mental landscape, and pushed Fluttershy inside before jumping in after her, narrowly avoiding another vicious swipe from the enraged beast. As he pulled closed the opening behind him, the last sight that met his terrified gaze was the creature dropping its five other prey, one by one, into a magenta rosebud on the top of its head, which opened each time to swallow them down into a spiral of wicked looking teeth.