• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,953 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,953

Part 11

Part 11
The End of the Beginning

As Sorrow and Summergale begin their trek toward the dragon's lair, Discord shifts the viewer back to Zacherle's study in Equinity.

“It's almost time to summon them.” Muenchinger says quietly. “You don't have to do this. I can speak to them.”

“No dear friend. This is something I must do myself. Although I have never lied to any of them, this borders on deception. And there is always a chance that he won't ask me for my help. Events remain uncertain.”

“Would that I could believe that.” Muenchinger says with a shake of his head, “But with HIM here, I fear all conclusions are forgone.” he says pointing toward the hooded figure that stands silently to himself.

As if awoken by the sky stallion's comment, the cloaked figure moves forward. “Please calm yourselves.” he says soothingly. “My comments earlier, although technically correct, were spoken in that manner for Stonewalls sake alone. I have taken steps...” as the hooded figure speaks, a small metal wand slips out from inside one of his sleeves, as he grips it, an eerie light emits from the tip, and all his further words are muted.

Discord speaks to the ponies in the room. “No, there is nothing wrong with my viewer. Something that hooded figure did is making it so that we can't hear what he is saying. Believe me, I've tried every trick I know. We just have to wait until he is done speaking.”

On the viewer the ponies in Discords sitting room can see that whatever the hooded pony is saying is having a profound effect on the two Gods of Equestria. Before they seemed filled with a sad acceptance. But now there eyes are alight with what seems to be hope. Suddenly the sound returns.

“Are you telling us the truth?” Muenchinger demands. “It has been said that you lie.”

“Ask yourself this,” the figure counters, “given what you know about me, and what I have 'invested' in this world, would it not be in MY best interests as well, for things to be as I have said?”

Both Zacherle and Muenchinger nod soberly.

“Then, in that case, I would advise you to tell Stonewall to summon the royal family. Events are almost to their critical juncture.”

Discord shifts the viewer to Stonewalls bedroom. The royal bodyguard is sitting quietly at a small desk beside his bed, finishing a letter. As Discord rotates the view over the pony's shoulders, the ponies in Discords sitting room are able to read the letter's contents...

“My dearest grandson.

I have no doubts that you will find this letter waiting for you when you reach port. The Goddess herself has assured me of your safe return.

I am writing you this to inform you of several things. As much as I am able to at this time. By the time you have returned to the castle, I will have left. For reasons I cannot explain at this time, I will be moving into the residence of Zacherle. Once I have sequestered myself inside, you will not be able to reach me. Nor will you, or anyone else hear from Zacherle for the foreseeable future. However, there will come a time in the future when the doors will open. Both you and Harmony will be summoned, as well as Icarus and Boots. You must all come to me as quickly as you can, it will be very important. In regards to your childhood friend Harmony, please do your best to help her in the times ahead. Her burdens will be great, and her joys few. Please become someone she can count on.

I regret that I cannot say anything else pertaining to these mysterious circumstances. All I can offer is that it is the will of the Gods. I have been chosen to this task, and although I harbor doubts, I cannot do otherwise than I have been asked. Know that I love you, and your father, more than words can say. I'm sure that he will do a fine job as my replacement in the times ahead. Just as I am sure that you will have grown into a worthy pony yourself by the next time I am able to see you.”

All of my love,

Grandpa Stonewall

“Well, THAT isn't at all mysterious.” A voice from over Stonewalls shoulder intones, cause him to jump.

As Stonewall's head whips around, he notices that Icarus has been standing behind him.

“You're getting soft old timer. Letting me sneak up on you like that.” Icarus admonishes.

“Not soft. Just... distracted.” Stonewall replies irritably. “How much did you read? If I may ask.”

“Oh not much, not much... All of it.” Icarus finally blurts. Care to explain anything?”

“No.” Stonewall replies.

“Fine then.” Icarus says sitting on his father's bed. “Then I'll do the talking.

It's obvious that the Goddess has been including you in something. Something important, something she doesn't want any pony to know about. Except for some reason... you. Now I'm not stupid enough to question the will of the Goddess. Whatever is going on between the two of you is your business. But there are a few questions I have to ask, just for my own personal benefit. The first and most obvious is... should I expect to see a little brother or sister in my future?”

“WHAT?!? NO!” Stonewall responds appalled. “Why would you... we never... it's NOT like that!” Stonewall explodes.

“Well, you have to see how it looks, you go visit her all the time, alone, at all hours of the day and night. It's only natural that ponies would think that-”

“NO!” Stonewall replies scandalized. “We are just... friends. I'm helping her with something... important. That is all!”

“All right, all right, calm down. I had to ask.” Icarus says, a slight smile on his lips. “Haven't seen you that worked up about something in years. Moving on then, what's this about shutting yourself up inside her house? For how long?”

“I can't say. Really. I literally cannot say. I agreed to allowing her to enchant me to be unable to discuss anything that will affect the outcome of her plans.” Stonewall confesses uncomfortably.

“Ooookay. Yeah, that does sound like something you would do. Alright, but what about that last thing. I'm supposed to be your replacement? Are you insane?” Icarus says waving his hooves in the air.

“You'll be fine.” Stonewall says calmly.

“Fine? Of course I'll be fine. I'm not doing it!” Icarus declares crossing his hooves across his chest. “You have plenty of well trained guards. Pick one of them to be the royal bodyguard. I have no training, no experience, I'm lazy, undisciplined, heck I'm barely civilized.”

“What you are, is... family. Stonewall replies warmly. “That is what Keil and Harmony will need. The time for 'bodyguards' is past. Your job, after I am gone, isn't to keep the ROYAL family safe. It's to keep YOUR family safe. And that my son, you are imminently qualified to handle. Look at me boy.” Icarus looks up into his father's eyes. “I have always... always, been proud of you. You've been a good son, a good friend, and a good father. If I ever had ANY regrets, it was that your mother wasn't here to see what a fine pony you have grown to be. I love you so much son.” And with that Stonewall crushes his son to his chest in a tight hug.

“Dad...air... killing... son...with... love...” Icarus pretends to choke.

“Oh knock it off,” Stonewall says, smacking his son lightly upside the head.

“Ah, THAT'S the Pop I remember!” Icarus retorts, dodging another hoof.

Suddenly a vision appears before them both. “Stonewall. It's time.” The voice of Zacherle reaches them.

“Yes great one. I will summon them at once.” Stonewall replies.

“A moment Goddess.” Icarus states boldly.

“Yes my child?” Zacherle says, a trace of warmth retuning to her voice.

“I don't understand any of what is going on. And that's fine. The affairs of the Gods are beyond my understanding. But I do have just one request if I may?”

“Of course my child, speak.” Zacherle replies.

“Just take care of my dad. With mom gone, and him locked away for who knows how long without me around... well, I just want him to be okay.” Icarus finishes quietly.

“OF course my child.” Zacherle says, smiling at Icarus. “I may not be able to speak on certain things concerning the future. But I promise you, you father will have a long, and eventually very happy, life.”

Icarus smiles warmly in return, a burden lifted from his heart, “thank you great one. He's a good pop. Wouldn't want anything to happen to him.” Then Icarus adds slyly, “He'd make a good catch... you know, for some single, female, unattached pony... or caballiomorpic personification thereof...”

Stonewall looks utterly shocked, but Zacherle merely laughs.

“Well, it's not like I haven't tried,” she says with a wink. “He just can't seem to take a hint.”

Stonewall is now both red faced, and apoplectic.

“You tried using hints on MY dad?” Icarus says, sarcastically. “Oh... my... Goddess... you have to hit him upside the head... hard... that's 'subtle' for him.

“Yes, well,” Stonewall says, regaining his composure. “I'm sure we will have time to 'discuss' this later great one.” And to his son, “And you keep out of this.”

Zacherle looks down upon Icarus. “You have no way of knowing my child, but it has been long since I was able to smile or laugh with joy. Even for just a moment, my heart was made light. And although both your father and I must once again shoulder the burdens of things to come, know this. You have a great gift for bringing joy. As will your descendants.” A brief flash of light occurs, and a mark appears upon Icarus's flanks. “By this mark, and all variations thereof, shall your lineage be known. You have my thanks young one.” And with that the vision of Zacherle vanishes.

Stonewall takes a moment to look at his son with pride. “My own son. Blessed by the Goddess herself. This day is both sad and proud. Go son, go see your wife and soon to be newborn. After we leave, tell Boots as much as you know.” Stonewall settles his saddlebags and prepares to leave.

“I love you dad. We will all be waiting, until we can see you again.” Icarus says, emotion choking his voice.

“I know son, I will miss you all.” Stonewall says as he makes his way toward the throne room.

“And try to notice those 'hints' a bit better!” Icarus says after him.

“Shaddup!” Stonewall replies.

“What's 'caballiomorpic personification' mean?” Twilight inquires as Discord prepares to change the scene.

“Basically 'God-in-pony-form',” Discord replies.

“So did anyone else notice that the cutie mark she gave Icarus looks a lot like the one Derpy has?” Applejack asks from the back.

Rainbow Dash grabs the remote, and rewinds it, then hits pause. “She's right. And I never noticed it before, but that blonde mane and gray coat do look similar to Keil's.”

The other ponies nod in agreement.

“Well then,” Discord says, “if we all manage to survive my sister's visit, we will have to invite her over. I think she'd be very interested in her family tree. {Especially considering her boyfriend.}” Discord quietly says that last part to himself. “But,” he adds, “I would think that since Keil doesn't have any mark himself, that she must be descended from Icarus's soon to be, second child.” And with that Discord shifts the view to Boot's room.

“Alright Boots, ye can do it, just a little further...” Boots says to herself as she struggles to reach the water pitcher on the nearby nightstand. A feat completely hampered by her rather large midsection. “Ach, the things a pony has to do for just... a little... water...” Suddenly there is a shift. “Ah well then,” she says calmly, “I suppose there will be no need of any more water for awhile...” And with quiet dignity she begins to repeatedly yank on the bell cord to summon the nearest servant. After several minutes of nonstop ringing a maid arrives breathlessly.

“Yes mum, can I help you?” She inquires.

“Yes, I'd expect you can,” Boots says in calm even tones. “If you would be so kind as to summon the midwife? At ALL possible speed? And really focus on the SPEED part of that request if you please. Oh, and afterwords track down my husband, and get him here as well.” The maid quickly runs from the room, shouting as she goes. “Well, that's all sorted out.” Boots says to herself. “Time to panic yet? Let's see, my husband isn't here, my best friend and firstborn are off who knows where by now, no sign of the midwife yet, I can't get up, and the baby is coming... Yes, I do believe the time to panic is now...” and with that she calmly takes a very deep breath, and let's loose a shriek that would make Summergale proud...

Discord shifts the scene back to the island.

Summergale and Sorrow have begun the ascent of the jagged mountain. “I can't believe how quickly we got here.” Summergale says to the goat creature beside her. “By my reckoning it should have took us days ta get this far.”

“Distances are relative on THIS island.” Sorrow explains. “The eldest has a certain amount of control over the island itself. I imagine he has lessened our travel time to expedite our arrival. I would also imagine that means that the rest of the islands inhabitants are already there as well.”

“The rest?” Summergale says, somewhat surprised. “These other four... anything I should know about them before we get there?”

“Well,” Sorrow pauses in thought. “I really should let the Eldest make the introductions. But I don't see the harm in giving out general information.

To start with, they are all like myself... well in general. That is to say that all of us are elementals of chaos.”

“Aye, ye said that before. But what does that mean exactly?” Summergale inquires.

“Well, to start with. We are, for the most part, beings made up of the elemental energy of chaos. These material bodies we wear are a sort of... default setting. It makes it easier for us to interact with the physical world. Each of our default states looks different. This is an agreement we all made long ago. With the ability to look like anything else we want to, it is far too easy for us to deceive one another. So long ago, all the ones that were still alive agreed to foster unique forms when interacting with each other. If anyone were to break this rule... and get caught of course... they would face execution by all the rest.” Sorrow says, looking at Summergale expectantly.

“And o' course, there's no real way ta be sure if someone is breakin that rule. Cause any one of ya could be lyin about it.” Summergale says smiling slightly back at Sorrow.

“Your grasp of the situation is admirable.” Sorrow says, somewhat satisfied. “Also there is the thing about our 'names'. You see, each of us has very different capabilities when it comes to the manipulation of chaos. We all share the same basic ability to manipulate raw chaos. But each of us has a special talent in one area or another. Desire for example. He uses his ability to increase or decrease the desire in his intended victim. He can literally make them WANT to walk right into his webs. Thus he is labeled Desire.

As for myself, I have the ability to mitigate, or increase a beings unhappiness. If attacked I could make my attacker feel so despondent that he would simply give up. Very useful in close quarters, but a distinct disadvantage against someone like Desire would was able to snag me from a distance. Plus Desire wasn't really as evolved as the rest of us. Little more than a beast really. My special gifts are muted against one such as him. He was the youngest of us left, and yet as far as brute force goes, one of the strongest. You really did save my life back there. I regrettably must confess my gratitude.” Sorrow says, looking contrite.

“Ah think nothin of it. It worked out fer both of us, no worries. Um, hey Sorrow, it looks like you were right about the rest of em' getting here before us. I'll be lettin you handle this part, some of em don't look all that friendly.” Summergale says, drawing her cutlass.

Summergale and Sorrow approach the entrance to a large cave set into the side of the mountain, near it's apex. Before the entrance five other beings stand waiting for them. Summergale looks from one to the other, sizing each of them up in turn. To her left as she approaches, she sees A large disheveled male deer, antler's jutting jaggedly from its head. Next to it is an enormous splotchy lizard. To her right is lean and hungry looking lion. Next to that, what looks to have been a once majestic eagle. And standing in the mouth of the cave opening, is a large red dragon. The dragon, upon seeing their approach, steps forward to greet them. Sorrow and Summergale halt their approach before it.

“Well met noble traveler!” The dragon intones jovially, a broad smile creasing the lines of its face. “And welcome to our little Isle of Chaos! Please allow me to make introductions. Sorrow you’ve already met,” the dragon says gesturing at the goat, “the deer is known as Apathy, the lion is called Cruelty, the lizard is named Greed, the eagle is called Dishonesty, and you may call me... Sorcery.” He says with a mischievous looking smile.

Summergale looks shocked upon hearing their names, but only for a moment, she waves her cutlass in a slow and menacing fashion, Using her more forceful tone she inquires “AN ITERESTING ASSORTMENT OF NAMES WE HAVE HERE. ONE CAN'T HELP BUT FEEL A CERTAIN AMOUNT O' NEGITIVITY ABOUT THE PLACE. WHAT WOULD BE YER INTENTIONS IN REGARDS TO MYSELF? IF YE DON’T MIND ME ASKING.”

“Now, now,” Sorcery replies soothingly,” We have no intentions of dining on the likes of you, or harming you in any way. We are elemental spirits of chaos, we only feed on chaos. And while you certainly seem to have more than other members of your race, you wouldn’t even make a decent snack. Especially not for Greed”

“Not at all Greed replies, “But that IS a nice looking piece of metal you have there.” Greed says hungrily.

“AYE, THAT IT IS, AND IF YE WANT A TASTE OF IT BLADE FIRST, JUST BE COMING A WEE BIT CLOSER!”

“Please madam. There is no need for violence. We have no intention of doing you harm. Quite the reverse. We want to help you to get off this island. All we ask in return is that you take us with you. Now that’s not too much to ask is it?”

Summergale pauses for a minute. “NOW, YE CAN’T POSSIBLY BE EXPECTIN ME TA TRUST THE LIKES OF YE. ESPECIALLY TOUTIN NAMES LIKE ‘GREED’, ‘CRUELTY', AN ‘DISHONESTY'. WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE A WORD O' WHAT YER SAYIN?”

“Heh, I’ll field THAT one,” Cruelty says. “Look babe, it’s like this, this island?, it’s empty. E-M-P-T-Y. As in, nothing on it. We’ve ate up all the other creatures of chaos, and there hasn’t been any more showing up since a certain all powerful deity started living on the mainland. You wanna stay here? Fine. I hope you can eat sand, cause there isn’t another living thing for miles and miles around.”

“WELL NOW, I WOULDN’T BE SAYIN THAT.” Summergale replies in a menacing tone. “SIX THINGS COME TO MIND OFF THE TOP O’ ME HEAD, IF PUSH CAME TA SHOVE THAT IS.” Summergale says, glancing between them.

At that all six, even Sorrow, begin to laugh. “Oh honey,” Cruelty says, “I just WISH you’d try to eat one of us.” And he breaks off to laugh some more.

However Sorcery has become quietly thoughtful.

Apathy is the first to recover, “Look, not that I care or anything, but this place is dull, even by my standards. It’s no big deal either way, but I really think we’d all just like to get off of this sand trap.”

Summergale thinks for a few minutes. And in a less verbally abusive voice she says, “Alright. Let’s say, just for the sake o’ argument, that I was inclined ta listen ta ye. Exactly how were ye plannin on gettin us out of here? I assume if ye could, ye would’ve been gone by now.”

Sorcery speaks up again. “Well, as to that, the reason we couldn’t leave before is the same reason we CAN leave now. You see there is a barrier around this island preventing any creature of chaos from leaving it. Silly thing really. I assume it was put into place back when this island was filled with many other creatures of chaos. I suppose they didn’t want us all running loose. But surely it wouldn’t be a huge issue for only we six to leave? And as I said before, we only eat other chaos. Surely that would be a good thing? A little less chaos in the world? It’s practically a public service. As to how we can leave now. That would be you.”

“ME?” Summergale replies. “I hate ta break it to ye, but these wings can’t exactly fly all the way back to the mainland. I might could build ye a boat, if there be enough driftwood about, but if that barrier o’ yours be out there, that won’t be o’ much help.”

“Oh no my dear,” Sorcery replies. “No need for manual labor. You see we creatures of chaos have the ability to make... alterations, on things from the natural world. We can make it so you could easily fly us back to the mainland. No effort at all. The only thing is, to pass the barrier we’d need to be protected from it. You had no trouble at all passing thru it, and as I mentioned before, you already have a bit more natural chaos than other members of your race. If we were to be... inside you, I believe we could pass thru the barrier without hindrance.”

“Inside me?!?” Summergale looks horrified. “No offense but I don’t think I could manage to eat all of ye, and several of ye don’t appear all that appitizin in the first place!”

“Yeah, well your no prime rib yourself sister!” Cruelty interjects.

“Now, now,” Sorcery says calmly. “I think we all agree that no one is going to be eating anyone else.” He stares pointedly at Greed. “All you would have to do my dear, is to agree to let us place our essences inside you. It’s a painless process, and you wont even know we are in there. Then after we arrive at the mainland, we’ll leave, and you’ll never have to see us again.” Sorcery says, in calm reasonable tones.

Summergale thoughtfully begins to ponder Sorcery’s words...

Discord pauses the remote, and switches the scene to the entrance to Zacherle's residence in Equinity, and then hits play.

Stonewall leads the royal family to the entrance of Zacherle's home. As the four approach, the door swings open, and Zacherle herself strides forth. The four bow deeply before their goddess.

“Stonewall, told us that you needed us to come at once. How may we assist you Great One?” Justice asks gravely.

“I need to speak to you all individually about matters of great importance. Cordial, if you will step inside please. Justice, if you will bear with us for a few moments, I will summon you directly.” Zacherle intones, no trace of humor in her voice.

“By your command, Great One.” Justice says bowing again, as his son, and Stonewall make their way inside the earthly home of their goddess.

Zacherle wastes no time in explaining the situation, as they walk deeper inside her home.

“Something is about to happen, that cannot be allowed to happen.” She intones, a note of haste in her voice. “Summergale was separated from her ship during a storm. She is alive, and safe... at the moment. But she has landed up on the shores of the one place in all of Equestria that I may not go. And she is on the verge of making a terrible mistake.”

Cordial is at first overjoyed to hear word of his mother, but has now become filled with concern, given the fact that Zacherle herself seems worried.

Cordial speaks up. “Great one, you are a God, where in existence could possibly be beyond your reach.”

“Listen well young one, because there isn’t much time, and the future of Equestria hangs in the balance. At the beginning of the world, I and Muenchinger the Stallion in the Sky, fashioned this world out of raw chaos. We created much order when we made this world. And although everything, from plants to animals to rocks to yourselves all have a certain amount of natural chaos, the amount of order needed to bring an entire planet into existence, meant that an equal amount of chaos had to exist to maintain the balance. Even I cannot change the laws of the universe. So I fashioned a place where the excess chaos could be stored and allowed it to evolve on it’s own. I kept it in a place that was as isolated as possible, and still be a part of this world. But fate has cast Summergale upon it’s shores. I cannot set one hoof inside the barrier I placed around the island. If the amount of natural order I possess were to come in contact with that much raw concentrated chaos, the resulting explosion would tear apart the very planet. And although I and Muenchinger could rebuild the planet, all of you would be gone. And I will not upset the life/death cycle of the universe to attempt a restoration. You Cordial, are the only one that can reach the island in time to save your mother. I can show you a view of where she is so that you can teleport there, and return with her. But listen well. Over the centuries the creatures of chaos had begun to feed off of each other. Absorbing their chaos each time. Now there are only six left, and they are attempting to trick your mother into allowing them inside of her so that they may escape the barrier. If this happens, if they bond with her, they will be able to leave the barrier, but what your mother doesn’t know is, that they have no intention of leaving her body afterward. Once they fully bond with her they will become a part of her and never let her go. And with her shell of natural order there will be no way for you to trap them.”

“But great Zacherle, surely you-” Cordial begins.

“No!” Shouts Zacherle, “I cannot directly intervene. There are rules which even I must obey. I can help you and guide you when asked. But the decisions you make are still your own. I cannot be allowed to alter events directly myself. Cordial, the only way to avert this disaster is for you to chose to go there. If you are too late, and the elements of chaos are allowed to enter your mother you will only have a few moments before they take control of her. At that point...” Zacherle stops speaking, her voice choking with emotion, “At that point, the only way to save the world. To save the entire world.... Is to slay her.”

“NO!” Cordial shouts. “What must I do to stop them, and still save my mother?”

“There is a way. A slim chance. You must convince them to posses you instead.” Zacherle insists.

“What? ME?” Cordial responds horrified.

“Listen to me.” Zacherle insists. “I will teach you an alicorn magic. It will allow you to unlink the order/chaos bond that governs their thinking minds. I will also provide you with a barrier similar to the one I used on the island. Only drop the barrier when they have agreed to posses you instead of your mother. Once they are inside you, there will be a small amount of time, while they orient themselves and fight to dominate your mind. In that time, they will be vulnerable. Strike quickly and unmake their chaos/order bonds. This will, in essence, unmake them as well.”

“Unmake them? Living beings? I cannot. Surely there must be another way? Can't I simply teleport in, grab mom, and teleport out?” He asks.

“No my child.” Zacherle says sorrowfully. “The old one. Sorcery. He will be aware the moment you blink onto the island, and faster than you could begin to leave, he would slay you. He is old, and sly, but also quick. He has a plan, and he won't let anyone or anything interfere with it. Your only hope to save her, is to offer him something he want's more. And when he senses your alicorn power, he will be blind to anything else. If it makes this any easier, these creatures are not like material beings, they are, in essence, thoughts. Cruel thoughts, hurtful thoughts, vicious thoughts. Thoughts that if set free upon Equestria, would quickly bring it to ruin. They have no pity, they have no compassion. They only want to increase what they have, by any means necessary. They would destroy this world for no more than the sake of amusement. I ask you, if not for the sake of your mother, then for the sake of the entire planet, please help me.”

“O-of course Great One.” Cordial stammers, shaken be the enormity of what he has been asked to do. “It shall be as you say.”

“Then hurry Cordial, I will create a viewing globe, study it and teleport to her. But listen to me well, IF SHE IS POSSESSED, YOU WILL HAVE TO SLAY HER! If you do not, this world will end in chaos.” Zacherle touches his horn briefly, and it begins to radiate a pure white light which quickly subsides. “The spell to unbind the chaos/order bond is now placed into your mind, and a thin barrier of order surrounds you, Merely think it so, and it will disappear, but do not do so until you are certain they all agree to your proposal. I have prepared you as best I am able, look into the orb, and go as quickly as you can!”

Cordial studies the viewing orb Zacherle has created until the images inside are firmly fixed in his mind. Then he vanishes. Stonewall shakes his head sadly, and retreats further inside Zacherle's residence.

Zacherle waves the orb away, and strides quickly back to the front doors.

She opens them and calls to Justice. “Please attend me Justice, and quickly. Harmony, I will attend thee shortly.”

Justice follows Zacherle inside, once she closes the door, she waves a hoof and the hall is filled with silence. “Justice, I have halted the flow of time. There are things you need to be made aware of. Things we were not able to reveal until this moment.”

We?” Justice asks, bewildered.

From out of the shadows the Sky Stallion himself approaches. Followed by another pony in a hooded cloak. A small metal wand is held in one of his hooves, and with the other he begins to draw back his hood, as he begins to speak.

“Justice...we need to talk.”

“YOU!?!” Justice exclaims in shock, as the figure raises the metal wand, and Discord's viewer goes dark.

The ponies in his sitting room look toward Discord, who merely shakes his head. “No, not here either.” I still have no idea who he was.”

Suddenly the viewer is back on, and Zacherle walks back to the main doors alone. She opens them and beckons Harmony inside. Once they are inside, she closes the door and waves her hoof again. Silence once again fills the halls.

“Where are father and Cordial?” Harmony asks.

“My child, there are things you need to know. I have temporarily stopped the flow of time, so that you may understand them. Cordial, has gone to attempt to save your mother. She has accidentally landed upon a very dangerous island. I shall create a viewing globe momentarily so that you may see. Before that you need to know several things. Firstly, Muenchinger and myself, have given your father knowledge of the future. And based upon this knowledge he chose to leave. Never to return here.” Zacherle says sadly.

“Leave?'” Harmony repeats incredulously. “He would not. He could not. He would never chose to leave his family. His Kingdom. There is nothing you could have possibly told him to make that be so!” Harmony says forcefully.

“Despite your belief to the contrary. It is so.” Zacherle says in an even tone. “Doubt my word if you wish, but he is gone.”

“I-I... you... you are my goddess.” Harmony says finally. “I cannot doubt your given word. B-but why?” Harmony stammers in anguish.

“As I said my child. Knowledge of the future. Knowledge of the terrible events that are nearly upon us.” Zacherle places a hoof on the shoulder of the young princess. “Your burdens will be great my child. And much like your brother, the fate of the world will also rest upon your shoulders. But I have faith. Faith in your family.” Zacherle waves her hoof and the flow of time is restored. Another wave, and a large viewing globe appears before them. She directs the confused and shaken princess to look inside. "See events as they have been unfolding for the last several minutes young one. On that ancient island of chaos."

Summergale looks up from her thoughts into the expectant faces of the creatures gathered before her. “Well, I've had meself time ta think on things. And I must say, ye paint a pretty picture. Solves all our mutual problems. Sounds pretty good... except for one tiny little thing.”

“Indeed?” Sorcery asks, curiosity in his tone. I would be happy to address any question you may have? Please. Do tell.”

“Well, it's such a small thing really. I'm almost ashamed ta even mention it.” Summergale says shyly.

“Oh no my dear, please, unburden yourself.” Sorcery replies, with an ingratiating smile.

“Well, alright. See I know we just met an all. An ye don't really know a thing about me. But I have ta ask... DO YE ALL TAKE ME FOR A BLOODY IDIOT?!?” Summergale roars, catching the assembled creatures aback with surprise. “YE JUST EXPECT ME TA LET SIX REDICULUOSLY POWERFUL CREATURES USE ME TA GET OFF AN ISLAND THAT THE GODDESS HERSELF STUCK YA ON? DISHONESTY? GREED? CRUELTY? CAN YE REALLY THINK I'M THAT STUPID? REALLY?”

Sorcery’s face contorts with a cruel scowl. “Stupid? Perhaps not.” He growls throatily. “But foolish? Oh yes. Very foolish indeed. We tried to do this the easy way you see. But surely you can't believe that you can stop the six of us from using you without your consent? Or do you honestly believe that you can win against all of us? Or even one of us?” Sorcery peers into the eyes of Summergale. “You do! I can see it in your eyes! You really do! Foolish order creature. I am the oldest living thing on this planet. I was the first. I am the strongest. And even the least of us,” he says, glancing over toward Sorrow, “has enough mastery of chaos to unmake you a hundred times over. Pitiful thing! We six don't even need our magics to defeat you. What gives rise to the hope that you have even the smallest chance against us?”

Summergale plants her cutlass blade first into the hard rocky ground before her. “Well,” she says as she rises a few feet from the ground, “for one thing, I can do... THIS!”

And with that Summergale unleashes the full force of her Utter Flutter upon the six elementals before her. The gale issues forth with the strength of a hurricane, hundreds of times more powerful than the blast she used to save Keil not long ago. The elementals were caught unawares, and were blown completely from the mountain. Far into the distance at great speed there bodies impacted against the barrier surrounding the island with a horrible crunching sound, and they slid down its side to lay dazed upon the ground. All that is, except for one.

Summergale landed back upon the ground, and retrieved her cutlass, as she stared into the unblinking eyes of the great red dragon.

“That, was VERY well done my dear.” He says in an amused tone. “I can assure you, that an event such as this has never occurred in all of my long, long lifetime.”

“A flutterpony beating six elementals by herself?” she asks slightly winded.

“No,no. Nothing like that,” the dragon replies. “I was referring to the fact that I had actually been mistaken about something. I underestimated you. I cannot recall such a thing ever having happened before.” The dragon bows deeply. “But as you can see, unlike my brothers, I took the precaution of protecting myself from the moment you left the ground. Nothing overt you understand. Just a light coating of dust from the island itself. Hardened to stronger than diamond, rooting me to the ground, and protecting me from whatever surprises you had in store. This island and myself have... shall we say, an understanding.”

And with that Summergale finds herself sinking into the ground. Before she can try to pull free, think tendrils of earth itself envelop her and drag her down until only her eyes and mouth are left exposed.

“There now. I believe that will suffice to keep you out of trouble until my companions return. This will also serve to keep you safe from their wrath. We elementals are really rather petty when it comes to being humiliated. But I must say I did find it most amusing. Say. While we wait, I've decided to share with you a little secret. Call it recompense for being so very entertaining. Do you have any idea why I didn't simply have Sorrow bring you here alone, kill him, and escape on my own? No? Well then, let me tell you a tale.” Sorcery causes a rocky throne to appear from the ground beneath him.

“You see my dear, this island was once overrun with life forms. All tiny bits of chaos and order. Animals of every sort, and more showing up all the time. And I was the first. I watched as my island slowly filled with creatures. All competing for space, for free chaos that was once so abundant. Every century there was less and less room. One evening I had returned to my cave, and there was, of all things, another dragon elemental inside. A small blue dragon shaped elemental had came in while I was out, and proceeded to try and take away my home. This blue dragon elemental was trying to replace me. ME! Eldest among all elementals! Well, I couldn't be having THAT. We fought, I won. He died. The first death that had ever occurred on the island. But there was something... A smell. The smell of his corporeal form. It was the smell of free chaos. I tentatively licked the blood from my claws. It was! It was free form chaos. I had accidentally been the first to discover that we could ingest the chaos of others.

Well to make a long story short, I went on a bit of a binge. Became quite powerful in a short amount of time. Eventually others discovered what I had learned, and attempted to do the same, but by then I had quite the head start. I'm not sure when exactly the idea occurred to me to begin pitting them against each other, and picking off the winner while he was in a weakened state. But it's a strategy that has served me well over the centuries. That is of course, until YOU showed up, and interrupted my game. But have no fear. Thanks to you, I now have a new plan to net myself the five remaining elementals all at once. Oh yes. You see once we all transfer our essences inside you, and they all begin to fight each other for dominance of your mind, I'll simply pick them off, one at a time. These fools have no idea how difficult it is to try to dominate a strong willed creature. It took me thousands of years to learn the trick of it. It is far easier to plant 'suggestions' in their minds. As I did with poor Sorrow when he careless wandered into Desire's territory. To invade a mind completely, ah, now that is much more difficult, the original owner tends to resent it and attempts to fight them off. And I'm sure you WILL do your best to fight them off, won't you my dear? It's really quite instinctual. You'll do it on reflex I'm afraid. When more than one mind occupy the same body, there can be only one in control. Ah yes, and here they come now. I must say, they don't seem very happy at all. Wouldn't want to be you right now... no, no indeed.”

“Yer a... clever varmint... I'll give ye that... but what keeps me... from tellin them... yer plans?” Summergale says, her speech hindered by her restricted lungs.

“Credit where credit is due my dear. Do you really believe I would tell you my plans if there was a chance you could do anything to upset them? Those five are completely enraged at this point. There is no chance whatsoever that they would believe anything you had to say to them. No indeed.” Sorcery leans over the face of the earth encased form of Summergale, and with a cruel and vicious smile he says, “I win.”

Cruelty is the first to make his return, jumping up the mountain with great leaps and bounds, the eagle known as Dishonesty clinging to his back one of his wings visibly damaged. “Where is it!” The lion roars in a deafening tone. “There are... things I wish to do to it. Wet and squishy things. Things that will take a long, long, time!”

The goat Sorrow, and the lizard Greed, have by now ascended the slopes as well as the deer Apathy who is visibly limping, and they all gather around the great red dragon.

The dragon gestures toward the ground at his feet, and the helpless form of Summergale trapped within.

“As you can see, I have the matter well in hand, the order creature is helpless before us.”

“GOOD!” The lion roars again. That will make this so much easier!” He says as he extends his claws.

“I THINK NOT!” The dragon known as Sorcery, says, raising his voice and planting himself between the enraged lion and its intended prey. The other four position themselves behind the fierce lion, clearly indicating which side they are on.

“Rage blinded fools!” The dragon roars, “Can not your feeble minds understand? This creature is the only hope we have of getting off this island. If you kill it now, we may never have another chance!”

Sorcery’s words piece through even the lion's rage as they all consider the cost of vengeance. Then Cruelty's maw splits with a wide wicked grin.

“Who says we have to kill it then?” He asks maliciously. We only need it alive and able to fly us out of here. There are plenty of other pieces of it that I don't see as being necessary for that to occur. Bring it out, allow me to make it a bit more...aerodynamic...” the lion says unsheathing it's claws once more.

Sorcery smirks down at Summergale, as he steps to the side, and raises his arm in preparation to free her from her prison. Before that can happen, a loud thunderclap draws their attention, and standing before the entrance to Sorcery’s cave, the alicorn known as Cordial has appeared.

“STOP!” the alicorn says, in a voice mixed with rage and anguish. “YOU WILL NOT TOUCH HER!” He bellows, unfurling his wings and lowering his horn as if preparing to charge.

Suddenly his horn flairs brightly, and the elementals find themselves teleported to the very edges of the barrier at the limits of Cordial's vision. All that is, except once again, for Sorcery. Cordial looks at the great dragon in surprise and once again lowers his horn.

“Please don't strain yourself. You'll find what you are attempting to do to be quite impossible. Unless that is, you could teleport the entire island. You'll find that at the moment, we are quite...attached to each other.”

The dragon says, looking curiously at Cordial. “What are you? Not a pony, like this one,” he says gesturing toward the still trapped form of Summergale.

“Mother!” Cordial says his voice fraught with concern. “Tell me you're all right! Tell me none of them have gotten inside you?”

“C-Cordial?” Summergale says in shock. “Is that you? What... how did ye...get here? I'm...alright. But ye must... leave now...while ye still can!”

“Not without you!” Cordial shouts back. “You! Dragon!” Cordial says returning his attention to Sorcery. “You are the leader of these things? You all want off this island?”

“In the first place, inasmuch as possible. In the second place most definitely. Why do you ask.” Sorcery replies curiously.

“I offer myself, in place of my mother.” Cordial says forcefully. “I am an alicorn. Given magics by the Goddess herself. None of you can harm me, and although I may not be able to touch YOU, I can bounce the rest of your companions around indefinitely. I will not allow you to possess my mother!

BUT. If you will deal with me and guarantee her safety, I will allow you all to possess me instead. I can easily teleport us all off of this island and back to where I came from.”

“Can you now?” The dragon says studying the young alicorn. “Can you indeed?” The dragons eyes widen as he shifts his vision, peering effortlessly into the unseen realms of chaos and order. “Yes, yes, I see. You ARE indeed quite powerful, such untapped potential. Oh my yes...” The dragon shifts his vision back to the material plane. “Very well... Cordial was it? Yes, I think we can come to an accommodation. On behalf of myself and my brethren, I accept your offer. The life of the smaller order creature, in exchange for your own.”

“Done.” Cordial says with finality.

“No!” Summergale shouts as best she can. “Cordial are ye mad. Ye cannot do it! Leave me be... get out of here while ye can.”

“No mother. I wont abandon you. Trust me, this is for the best.” Cordial replies, somewhat sadly. A flash of his horn, and the other creatures of chaos are returned. “Explain to them our bargain dragon. I expect you to hold them to it.”

Cruelty begins to move forward but is restrained by Sorcery. A mental conversation ensues, which the two ponies are not privy to. Several of the creatures eyes widen in surprise as they gaze at Cordial. In a matter of minutes they all turn to face him once again. “You will be happy to know that my fellow elementals have agreed to your proposal. We will grant the smaller order creature her freedom. And even be so good as to take her back with us... AFTER you have taken us in...so to speak.” Sorcery says, his hunger barely held in check.

“Very well. Let's get this over with. What exactly must be done.” Cordial asks.

“Oh nothing on your part. Just hold still for a moment, while we settle in.” And with that the form of Sorcery changes into that of a small translucent gem.

The others quickly follow suit and they all hover toward Cordial. They surround the young alicorn, and all at once, simply drift into him.

“Cordial, oh Cordial, what have ye done? What have ye agreed to?” Summergale says from her prison.

“N-not... now... mother. I need... to concentrate...” Cordial says, strain evident in his voice.

Unseen to Summergale, and the ponies in Discord's sitting room, a titanic struggle is taking place inside the young alicorn's mind. Greed is the first to attempt to take control, but Cordial activates the magic that Zacherle has taught him, and the mind of Greed simply comes apart. One after another the chaos elementals are unmade until only Sorcery is left.

“For the second time in my life, I have underestimated someone,” the dragon thinks to Cordial. “Have I been foolish? Perhaps so...” And with that a beam of scarlet chaos shoots forth from Sorcery only to pass harmlessly through the mental avatar of Cordial.

Then with grim determination Cordial unmakes the final chaos lord, and slowly opens his eyes.

Cordial rises to his hooves and stands before his mother. “It's over mom. I beat them.”

“Beat them? What did ye do son?” Summergale asks in awe.

“Zacherle taught me a magic, before she showed me the way here. It allowed me to unlink the order inside their minds. I unmade them.” Then the truth of what he did sinks home. “I-I... oh mother... I unmade... but I had to!” Cordial wails. “Zacherle said if they got free they would destroy the world. She said... she said, if you had been possessed that I would have to... have to...”

“There there, me boyo. I can guess what she must have said. It's alright. It didn't come ta that. Ye saved the world son. And meself. I'm very proud of you.” Summergale says soothingly. “Now if ye could do me one favor, and perhaps get yer mom out of here?”

“O-of course.” Cordial says as he studies his mothers predicament. “Um mom?”

“Yes son.”

“Um, you seem to be fused with the ground. I can't teleport you out without knowing what bits are you and what bits are the ground. And it seems like he turned the area around you into some kind of stone. Wait, I know, let my teleport back home and bring some chisels and stonemasons. We should be able to get you free pretty quickly.”

“Aye, that seems ta be best.” Summergale says. “I should be fine here since there isn't anyone left ta be a nuisance. But be back quick as ye can son. We have a lot to talk about.”

“Of course mom.” Cordial says as he rises from the ground a few feet. “Give me just a second to orient myself. This is a long way from home.”

In the sitting room, Discord turns his back on the viewer and hangs his head. Tears fall freely from his eyes, as he waits.

Cordial looks down at his mother's face. “Goodbye mom, I'll be back before you know it!” And with that Cordial activates his alicorn magic.

The resulting explosion could be seen from space, and blinds every pony in the room...

Author's Note:

Whew! Okay. Confession time.
First off, this completes the first third of the story. Before I began writing the very first part, I already had most of this story in my head, including the end of this part, as well as the ending of the story altogether. (Which is a long way from now). I wanted my first fanfic to be readable by everyone, so I've tried very hard to curb the violence, and romance to stay within the 'teen' rating.
Secondly, one of the things I noticed when I became a fan of friendship is magic, is that there was so much that hadn't been addressed yet in the series. The origins of Discord, and Celestia and Luna, the formation of the Crystal kingdom. Rarity and several others are from a previous gen, as well as Tirek, but most of the other themes have not been brought into the current ponyverse. Now I'll go ahead and admit, I have little to no knowledge of G-1, thru G-3. Fortunately my friend Steve, is a fount of wisdom when it comes to such things. "Utter Flutter', it's a thing... who knew? I'm going to give him a proper shout out whenever er he finally gets his Dr.Who fanfic posted. Anyway I have tried my very best not to break canon,(except for once, in part two, which I found out after the fact). Zacherle and Muenchinger really did create "My Little Pony". Earth ponies were created first, etc. But where canon hadn't been established, I pretty much ran wild. (And will continue to do so.) The reason the story starts where it does, is also the reason there is Apple/Spike in the background. That would be a homage to Disneyfanatic's "Bride of Discord", of which I am a huge fan. This story will be dedicated to her, (when I eventually get it finished).
Thirdly. Yeah, I know most of what has been going on has been with OC ponies. That will change by the third part of the story when we finally shift back to the present. The second part will feature the Discord we are more familiar with... only a much darker self. Due in no small part to the events in the final paragraph, above.
Lastly, thank you all so much, for all the fav's and followers. Between here and Fanfic, I had over a thousand views in less than one month from over 36 countries. I was very nervous when I posted the first part. I told myself to expect a lot of hate, because I wasn't an established professional like many of the artists here. I also told myself that if there was at least one person who liked what I had done, that I would keep writing until it was finished. I check both sites every few days, and try to remember to thank everyone that has given me a fav. I really appreciate you guys for sticking with the story so far. More surprises are yet to come.

Quixotic Enigma