• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,953 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,953

Part 22

Part 22
The Birth of Order

The wall burst apart, sending granite stone blocks hurtling in all directions, as the now renamed Discord flew from the confines of his chambers. Blind with rage he struck out in all directions. The guards in the courtyard below rang alarms, and searchlights made from curved mirrors and torches, were directed up at the chaos lord as he hung above them in the night sky. It wasn’t until the first spear was thrown that Discord paid them any heed. But that was all it took to rouse his ire.

“Who threw that? Who dares?”

“I did beast prince.” A soldier spoke up boldly, striding forth.

“I remember you. From the sound of your voice. You were the solider that called me some sort of dark fiend when I first returned.” Discord said, as he lowered himself to face the soldier.

“Close enough,” The solider said. “And it seems I was right about you from the start. You’re nothing more than a patchwork beast pretending to be our prince. The princess may have been fooled by your act, but I knew what you were from the start,” he says drawing his sword.

“For all I know you may be right,” Discord says, ignoring the drawn steel. “But you are wrong about one thing...”

“And that is?” The soldier says preparing to attack.

“I’m not a beast,” Discord replies nonchalantly. “I’m a GOD!” And with a wave of his arm the soldier is hurled backwards halfway across the courtyard to slam into the granite walls. As he slumps to the ground unconscious, Discord turns to the rest of the palace guard. “Hear my words!” Discord shouts, “you may not be with me, but you don’t have to stand against me! Leave now and you won’t be harmed. Any of you that wish to fight will end up in worse shape than your friend on the wall! Your answers?” Several of the younger guards drop their weapons and head for the gate, but all of the veterans to a pony, have remained. Discord shakes his head sadly. “I hope you like nectar,” he says waving a claw and transforming all of them into butterflies, which quickly fly out into the night. “You might want to watch out for bats!” He calls after them.

Turning his attention back to the courtyard, he begins waving his claw at random. Statues of himself in various poses appear along the pathways, hedge sculptures reform, and random patches of landscape are altered into strange incoherent patterns.

“Might as well remodel while I wait,” he says to himself, but he didn’t have to wait for long. Out of the front doorway Harmony emerges, with Keil at her side. Discord rises from the ground and flies over to hover before them.

“Ah, excellent! Just the ponies I wanted to see.” he says jovially.

The two look at each other for a moment, confused by the tone in his voice. “Brother. Between the shouting, and the explosion, and the searchlights, not to mention the landscape, I can’t help but feel that something is going on. What is this all about?” Harmony asks.

“What is this about?” Discord says, tilting his head to one side. “Let me think, I knew just a moment ago... ah yes, it’s coming back to me now... how about HOT BLOODY VENGENCE!” he says with a deafening roar.

A wave of his claw and the rose bushes on either side of the path shoot out long thick thorn covered tendrils which quickly ensnare the two ponies, holding them off the ground.

“By the sky stallion Cordial,” Keil says, struggling against the torn covered vines. “What in Equestria is wrong with you? The first time I see you in over ten years, and THIS is how you treat me?”

“Yes Keil,” Cordial says with a frightening gaze, “it has been over ten years. Why is that I wonder? I would’ve thought my best friend would’ve taken the time to at least write to me. A ‘hello’, ‘how are you?’, ‘sorry about that whole series of events that led to the death of your MOTHER!’” Discord shouts in Keil’s face.

“Enough of this Cordial!” Harmony says, teleporting the two of them free from Discord’s plants. You have no right to speak to my husband that way. We all know it was an accident, he never knew what was going to happen, he’s blameless.”

“Oh is he dear sister.” Discord sneers. “And yourself? Are YOU blameless, do YOU have the excuse of not knowing anything?”

“W-what are you talking about?” Harmony stammers.

"You can drop the act dear sister.” Discord says, acidly. “I know the truth. You, Zacherle, Muenchinger, even Stonewall. You all used me! USED ME! Our mother is GONE, I lost ten years of my LIFE, and now I look like a nightmare! AND YOU KNEW!” Discord flings up both arms, and storm clouds fill the sky. Rain begins to fall, but it is a rain of small jagged stones. Huge bolts of lightning crash about the courtyard destroying trees and grounding themselves on whatever metal they come in contact with. Another gesture, and a great wind springs up and blows them both into the far wall, pinning them there.

“Your brother has lost his mind,” Keil says to Harmony, barely making himself heard above the roar of the wind. “What in Equestria are we going to do? He’s the closest thing to a God left on this world, and he’s very, very mad... at US.”

Harmony looks around frantically, as Discord slowly approaches, but no other ideas come to mind. “I-I can stop him.” She says hesitantly.”

“Are you crazy?” Keil responds. “There’s no way you can stop him.”

“I can.” She says resolutely. “Zacherle gave me a way, in case... in case things turned out this way. But I need you to keep him occupied, while I retrieve what she left me from her home.”

Keil looks at his wife for a long moment. “Go.” he says, “I’ll keep your brother busy. Maybe I can reason with him. Try to calm him down. Go do what you have to do.”

“I love you Keil!” she shouts above the wind.

“I love you too!” he replies, as she teleports away.

“Well. Isn’t that convenient?” Discord says approaching the still immobile Keil. “Left you in a lurch did she? What did she tell you? That it was for the good of the kingdom... hmm?”

“Nah, nothing like that Cord,” Keil says, trying to sound jovial. “She just wanted to give us some time to catch up. It has been awhile. So... how have you been?” he asks evenly.

“Why, I’m glad you asked.” Discord replies with a smile, as he conjures a chair and a cup of tea. Sipping daintily he responds, “Why just this morning I spent a lovely morning flying halfway around the world. Curing droughts, bringing food to the hungry, cleaning up toxic chaotic ash. Nasty stuff that ash. Then I spent a quiet afternoon finding out that everything I knew has been a lie, and that every pony I trusted and cared about had betrayed me.” Discord continues calmly. “It was about this time that I decided to lay waste to the kingdom and rebuild it in my image, exact my revenge on every pony that ever wronged me, oh, and take over the world. I have that penciled in for Tuesday. So... how was YOUR day?” Discord says, giving him a cruel stare.

“Heh heh... oh, you know, same old same old. Sneaking back into the castle to see my estranged wife whom I haven’t laid eyes on since before your return. Funny coincidence, you going cra- I mean, deciding on a new course of action, the same day I come back...” Keil says rubbing the back of his neck.

“Oh, it wasn’t a coincidence. I saw you two together. I have this wonderful little viewing crystal you see, ah but what am I saying, I’m sure my SISTER, has told you all about it already.” Discord says.

“S-she might have mentioned it.” Keil says evasively. “But I’m sure she didn’t know you were using it to SPY on us. Wait. Who else are you spying on? My mother, my father? My CHILDREN?” Keil says his voice rising in anger.

“Not at all,” Discord replies calmly. “You know, until you mentioned it, it never occurred to me to do so... But now you’ve got me curious. Yes, I think I will have a look see. Find out where you’ve been hiding them. Perhaps I’ll pay them a visit. Maybe see what LIES you’ve been filling their heads with!” he finishes at a near shout.

“You won’t go near them!” Keil says. “You rant and rave like a madpony, you talk about revenge and taking over the world, and you think I will let you near my DAUGHTERS?!?”

“You talk pretty big little pegasi.” Discord says rising up before him. “But I’m a God. I do what I want, when I want, and go where I want. And if I want to visit my family, who exactly is going to stop me?”

“I AM.” A voice rings out behind them, like a choir of angels.

The Discord in the sitting room pauses the viewer, rewinds it and changes the view and then hits play.

Harmony appears before the doors to Zacherle's home. She raises a hoof, but the doors swing silently open before her. Quickly she makes her way down the darkened hall. As she enters Zacherle’s sitting room she sees the pedestal containing the crystal heart. The radiance from the heart is shinning through the cloth that covers it. As she removes the cloth, she is nearly blinded by the light pouring forth.

The warnings Zacherle had spoken to her, swirl through her mind. “But I have no choice.” She says aloud. He voice echoing in the still empty chamber.

She a lifts the crystal heart in her hooves. It responds immediately, the light intensifying. She feels a warmth enter her hooves. It beckons her with the promise of completeness, of wholeness. As if a part of her she never knew was missing was almost returned to her. Without a word, she clasps the crystal heart to her chest. The warmth spreads deep inside her. Filling her up. Her every nerve is alight with a pleasant tingling sensation that builds as her cells become saturated with light. Finally at the cusp of the threshold of flesh her body transforms in a flash of radiance. “Yes,” she says aloud. “This was meant to be, was what I was meant to be. “I will save you Keil. And you dear brother, from even yourself. With this power I can save everyone.” Harmony gently rests the now empty crystal back on it’s pedestal, and exits Zacherle’s home. The doors close silently behind her.

With the sound of a clarion bell, she teleports back to the courtyard, just as her brother finishes berating her husband.

“I AM!” She says, marveling at the sound of her own voice.

Both Discord and Keil, as well as the ponies in Future Discord’s sitting room, gaze in wonder at the being Harmony has become.

“So beautiful.” Fluttershy can’t help but saying aloud.

“Shes... she’s a crystal alicorn.” Cadence blurts out. Stating what is obvious for all to see.

“Indeed,” Discord replies. “Zacherle and the others had planned well. She had become my opposite. My dear sister was and is forever more, a Lord of Order.”

On the viewer the Discord of the past looks in stunned amazement at what his sister has become. She waves a hoof and Discord's wind abates as she effortlessly floats over to her husband.

“Are you alright?” she asks in a melodious, yet worried tone.

“Harmony.” Keil replies awestruck. “When you said Zacherle had prepared for this day, I had no idea that THIS was what you were talking about! Are YOU okay? I can feel your power, just by being near you. What’s happened to you?” he asks. But before she can reply, Discord interrupts.

“SO! Even this they prepared for? Even my uncovering their lies and deceits they had planned for?” Such arrogance, such insolence! They even devised a way to throw away their tool before it could be used against them eh? Well... we shall see about that!”

Discord gestures angrily at Harmony and the ground beneath her hooves softens as thick tendrils of earth begin to quickly draw her down. Just as her crystal horn is about to pass from view it emits a dazzling light and the earth around her separates into neat, even blocks which move aside to let her rise out of the now empty hole. They settle back into place as she lands back upon the firm ground once again.

“My brother,” she says, her voice the sound of bells ringing at dawn, “You cannot harm me. You cannot stop me. Your power cannot match me. I am Order. This tirade you have started will now end. Cease your hostilities and talk to me, we can address your worries and concerns together.”

Her calm and even tone only drives Discord into new heights of rage.

“NO!” He bellows. “They will not have their way in this!” “I will no longer fit neatly into their designs. I will be free of them! Free to live my life to my own plans, my own designs. Not like some puppet on a string dear sister! You dance to their tune willingly!” he accuses, “and I see how they rewarded you. But I was a mere unknowing pawn. So my reward was quite different! Well sister dear. If you believe you have the power to TAME me, then by all means let’s see it!”

Discord inhales and breaths a gout of flame at his sister while simultaneously firing two bolts of chaotic energy in her direction.

The Discord of the future shakes his head sadly and lowers it, covering his face with his claw.

On the viewer, Harmony waves a hoof vanishing Discord’s fire while dodging straight up allowing the twin bolts of chaos to pass harmlessly beneath her. As they pass below her hooves she looks to her brother who is smiling wickedly. She wheels about in midair, too late to stop the beams from reaching their real target, but just in time to see their effects.

All the gathered ponies watch in horror, as does Harmony, as her husband Keil is turned into stone.

Harmony begins to turn to face her brother, when a blinding flash of lightning, and a peal of thunder momentarily both blind and deafen all who are watching. As their sight is slowly restored, all gaze in agonized despair, at the shattered remains of the statue that was once Keil.

Luna and Celestia lower their heads in silence. Tears flowing down their cheeks. This was not the first time they had viewed these events, but the pain always remains fresh each time. All the other eyes in the sitting room stare at the chaos lord sitting next to Fluttershy. She looks up at him pleadingly. Silently imploring him to say something, anything, some word that these events had been undone at some point. Discord silently shakes his head. He clasps his claw and stares at it for long moments, but then merely looks back at the viewer, even as the others struggle with their inner angers and rages. Trying to find some excuse not to hate and despise their host for what he’s done.

On the viewer Harmony turns in shock and rage to face her brother. He hovers in the air, a look of disbelief on his face. As if he cannot believe what he has just done.

“MURDERER! BUTCHER! He was HELPLESS before you!” Harmony says shaking with rage. Tears streaming down her face. “He was my LIFE! Everything that mattered to me! And you... and you...” She falls to her knees, sobbing and wailing. “He can’t be gone! He CAN’T! No!... No!... NO!!!” And with that, the now transformed Harmony strikes a ringing blow on the flagstones.

A brilliant flash blinds everyone, as all her pent up rage and sorrow burst forth in an uncontrolled torrent. A harsh crackling sound begins to build and spread from where her hoof struck. Her pain wracked sobs cease as she raises her hoof and looks at the place where she struck. The stonework has been transformed into crystal. Before she can frame a response, the crystals begin spreading faster and faster outwards in all directions. Harmony frantically summons magic and order, but they prove to be ineffective. Within the span of minutes, before her horrified eyes, the entire kingdom has become crystallized, as well as all of its inhabitants.

“No!” she wails, “No, what have I done?” she asks herself in a near whisper. She raises her tear stained face to her brother once more. Her once lovely features are contorted into a hideous visage of crystalline rage. “YOU!” She yells. All of this is YOUR fault! You aren’t my brother! My brother would never do this. Would never hurt Keil. Would never...” she breaks off as fresh agony rends at her heart over the fate of her husband. “Get out of my sight!” She shouts. “But don’t bother to go far! As soon as I fix this and RESTORE my husband, I WILL come for you. And not all the gods of Equestria will save you from MY wrath!”

She gestures violently, and Discord is flung far out of the kingdom, a distant speck receding on the horizon. Harmony walks over to the pile of rubble that was once her husband. It remained unchanged even in the wake of her unleashed power. She kneels down, and gathers up several pieces in her hooves hugging them to her chest.

“Don’t be gone! Please don’t be gone! Oh Keil, my heart, my love! I’ll fix this. Somehow, some way, I’ll fix this. I’ll bring you back to me my darling. I will!” She says, as she sobs and clutches the broken jagged stones to her chest.

Discord pauses the viewer. Cadence breaks the silence.

“Harmony created the Crystal Empire. Your kingdom, was what eventually became the Crystal Empire.”

“Yes, Cadence.” Discord replies quietly. “That was the first and only time I was ever there after she transformed it by accident. She departed not too long afterwords as well. After that we kept our war to ourselves, never involving any pony else directly.” he says, staring down at his claw again.

“And Harmony, she was never able to restore Keil?” Twilight asks gently.

“No Twilight, and that was my fault as well. For you see, despite my own horror over what had happened, I still nursed a core of hatred at them all. And at first Harmony was a constant source of fuel for that hatred. She blamed me for everything, and in return I blamed her, claiming that if she hadn’t done the gods bidding none of this would’ve ever happened. Neither of us would admit our parts, neither of us would back down. And we both had enough hate and rage inside of us to last for hundreds of thousands of years.”

“And thus began,” Celestia said looking up, “The Great Chaos/Order Wars.”