• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,953 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,953

Part 25

Author's Note:

This chapter is for Shaye. She planted the seed of this idea in my head.
Originally the Doctor was just going to set Twilight on the path she needed to travel.
But there's always time enough for love.

Thanks Shaye!
Q.E.

Part 25
Twilight Interlude


The sound of the Tardis starting up both thrilled Twilight, and shocked her enough to bring her back to reality.

“Doctor,” she said looking away from the console, and directly at her host. “I-I’m afraid I lost my head there for a moment. Look, I meant what I said about my interest in science, and I do realize that we have to deal with the whole ‘saving the planet’ thing, but my friend Fluttershy may be in serious danger, and as much as I’d like to spend time picking your brain, I really need to find a way to save her first.” Twilight says resolutely.

“Twilight, I already know about the situation with your friend. It’s all a part of the same thing.” The Doctor says with a smile.

“It is? What do you mean. I don’t understand.” Twilight replies confused.

“You will Twilight,” the Doctor says gently, “You will.” The Doctor flips a lever and the Tardis ceases making sounds. He then gives Twilight his full attention. “The solution to Fluttershy’s problem, will lead to the solution of our OTHER problem, and if all goes according to plan, will ultimately save the world.” The Doctor points to a display screen. On it millions upon millions of threads converge to a point, and after that point millions upon millions of threads spread out away. Do you see this point in time Twilight? Out of all the instances from the beginning to the end of Equestria, one point in time exists where the mistake that your ‘gods’ made could be successfully repaired. Now do you see all those millions upon millions of possible futures that occur AFTER that one point in time? Do you have any idea in how many of those possible futures everything works out? Where we meet with success. A happy ending so to speak?” Twilight shakes her head. “One.” The Doctor replies. “I’ve nudged events here and there since the beginning of time to create a situation where we have a chance, just ONE chance, to put things right. Would you like to see the eventual future that all those other threads will lead to if we fail?” The Doctor changes the setting and the viewer moves forward on the time lines until all the other threads except one converge once again. As the picture resolves, Twilight recoils in horror.

“Those creatures, what are they?” she asks, bile rising to her throat.

“Ponies. Well pieces of ponies, and... other things. But what they actually are are toys. Poor tortured toys. That’s a fair representation of the entire planet.” The Doctor says sadly.

“And the... owner... of those toys is...” Twilight asks, dreading the answer.

“You KNOW who he is,” The Doctor says, changing the location of the viewer to a jagged blood red spire rising miles above the surface. “Incidentally, you do remember that alicorns are immortal?” he says as the camera zooms in on a throne. A throne made up of the twisted and broken bodies of all of the alicorns on Equestria. Celestia, Luna, Cadence, And other alicorns she has never seen before, all crippled and bleeding and still horrifyingly alive. Their tortured screams echo endlessly throughout the darkened sky. Their sounds a counterpoint to a hideous maniacal laughter that rings above it all. The laughter emanates from the figure that sits on the throne. His claws dig into the eye sockets of the two skulls that make up the armrests. Twilight has to fight the urge to scream as she realizes that they are the skulls of the twins Harmony and Cordial. Slowly the camera pans upwards until a malevolent face, contorted with madness stares directly into Twilight’s frightened face.

“I SEE YOU TWILIGHT SPARKLE!” The voice says, hate filled laughter rings out once again. “GAZE UPON YOUR FUTURE! YOU WILL FAIL! YOU HAVE FAILED! I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR ARRIVAL! THERE IS A SPECIAL PLACE ON MY THRONE JUST FOR YOU!”

The figure gestures to the top of his throne, and there impaled on a series of spikes is the broken body of Twilight Sparkle. The details of the vision sear themselves into Twilight’s mind as she pushes the viewer away.

“Dear Celestia, dear Luna, he saw me! HE SAW ME! This cannot be our future! Please gods no, this CANNOT be our future!”

“It won’t be.” The Doctor says gently, putting his hoof on her shoulder. “I... WE won’t let it be.” The Doctor shuts off the view screen. “I’m sorry for having made you see that. But I wanted you to fully understand what is at stake if we fail.”

“I- I do understand... now.” Twilight says finally. She takes a deep breath and raises her head, resolve defining her features. “What must I do.”

“You must defeat the great evil that has been lurking in the shadows since the dawn of time. To do that you have need of a special spell, one that only four beings know and are able to cast. Zacherle and Muenchinger cannot return to Equestria, and Discord won’t be able to help you for obvious reasons. That just leaves Harmony. That means that before anything else you are going to have to convince Harmony to abandon her vendetta against Fluttershy, and unite with you against a common foe. And to do THAT you are going to need a very specific item. And to GET that very specific item, you are first going to have to learn how to fly my Tardis.” Twilight’s eyes come alight again with barely concealed desire. “And to do THAT,” the Doctor continues, you are going to need practice. Lots and lots of practice. Fortunately, I happen to know just the place where you can get it.” He says smiling enigmatically.

The doctor begins to make adjustments on various controls, and the Tardis springs to life once again.

“I have a couple of pieces of unfinished business that needs to be taken care of, and I believe they will afford you an excellent opportunity to get in that ‘practice’ I just mentioned.” He says as he flips one last lever. Now before we arrive at our first destination, I believe we should take this time to familiarize you with the controls. Now it’s no exaggeration to say that the Tardis has a mind of her own, and she can be a bit prickly if she isn’t treated right, so please try to take in as much information as you are able. The ‘learning curve’ on a time machine is quite steep I’m afraid.”

“Doctor, you have no idea who your dealing with,” Twilight says confidently. “I’ll think you’ll find me a fast learner.” She approaches a bank of controls at random. “Okay, what does this do?” She asks.

“Ah,” The Doctor says, warming to the subject, “That’s the space/time omnidirectional sensory array. Very important bit if technology, without it every time that we woud travel in time-” he begins.

“You’d end up in outer space,” Twilight finishes. “Because the universe is constantly moving through the space around it.”

“You... You UNDERSTOOD that?” The Doctor asks incredulously. “How is it that a pony for a magical based society understands astrophysics?” He asks, his curiosity keenly aroused.

“Well, I spent a few days in a school in a technology based universe, and I used a duplication spell on as many textbooks as I could. Also one of my house guests is also from a similar universe. I give him free room and board and in return he tells me as much as he knows. Although to here him tell it, his entire planet is set against him for some reason.” She says with a wry smile, which causes the Doctor to blush unexpectedly, his hearts beating faster for a moment. “So where is the ‘flux capacitor’ on this thing?” She asks looking around.

“Flux- {Bwa ha ha haa}!” The Doctor breaks off laughing. “By the Ring of Rassilon, she actually said ‘flux capacitor’!” And he’s off on another fit of laughter.

“What?” Twilight says in confusion. “That’s what Dan said you needed to use for time travel.”

“Please... please stop!” The Doctor says struggling to regain control of himself.

After a few more minutes he composes himself enough to explain. “Twilight, put simply, my technology makes no use of a {chuckle} ‘flux capacitor’, and to forestall speculation on another point, there is no numbered keypad or skeletal umbrella sticking out of the top. When you get back you may want to question this ‘Dan’ on the sources of his extensive knowledge on time travel.” He says, not bothering to hide an amused smile.

“Allow me to clear up any other misconceptions you may have about my vessel. TARDISes are bioships that are grown from a species of coral indigenous to the planet Gallifrey. It takes many years to complete one. They draw their power from several sources, but primarily from the Eye of Harmony, which is NOT what you might be thinking of. But is an exploding star that is in the process of becoming a black hole, which is suspended in a permanent state of decay.”

“You have a black hole INSIDE this ship?” Twilight asks in disbelief.

“Oh yes, it’s beneath the central column of the console, right below your hooves.” The Doctor says pointing downwards. Twilight takes an unconscious step backward at this bit of news. “The Tardis supplements that power by also drawing power from the entire universe, but since we have been brought into what is essentially a parallel universe, it cannot function without the use of a crystal power source, which is charged by my own life force. Fortunately, I’ve been feeling pretty ‘spry’ since I came here. Must be that whole ‘new universe’ thing. Makes a chap feel young.”

Twilight listens intently as the Doctor goes over various control functions, interspersed with stories, and background information. Her initial rush of joy and excitement is rekindled as her mind becomes saturated with answers to questions that she never knew existed. Her endless thirst for knowledge had finally met an unending fountain of truth and she drank from it greedily, asking question after question on the nature of time, space and the universe in general.

The Doctor, for his part was amazed at her intuitive grasp of the science behind his technology. She took in all that he said, and then ask for more. Although he fielded her increasingly complex and in depth questions with ease, he marveled at her insight, and thirst for knowledge. His former companions had asked him questions before, but only insofar as to whatever situation they found themselves in. After the initial shock of finding themselves on a time machine, they eventually all took it in stride, more concerned with where there were going, that how they were getting there. But this pony... this person, genuinely wanted to know. He had, at last, unknowingly found a kindred spirit, someone who could understand and admire the complexities and beauty of existence. Without even being aware of what he was doing, he had moved closer to her as he explained the various knobs and switches before them, and on a level beyond his conscious understanding, a warmth began to fill him from inside. A warmth shared by his new companion, who was quite thoroughly distracted from it by all that she was learning.

Finally, after he was confident that Twilight had a basic grasp of how the controls functioned, he brought the ship to a halt in the time stream.

“Alright Twilight. Here’s that first bit of ‘practice’ I was telling you about. Do you remember when you were watching on Discord’s viewer when Zacherle, still in her human form, was arguing with me?”

“Yes I remember, back at the beginning of time.” Twilight replies.

“Exactly. And you remember when the universe seemed to blink for a second, and then she was standing there, her clothes a mess, and she was a bit more... contrite?”

“Oh yes, contrite was ONE way of putting it.” Twilight says with a smile.

“Good. Because what is about to happen is, that you Twilight Sparkle are going to materialize the Tardis around her, dump her into the heart of the sun, move forwards in time, pick her back up, and drop her back in the exact same spot one atto-moment after she left.” The Doctor says confidently.

“Say what now?!?” Twilight asks in shock.

“It has to be, Twilight” The Doctor says gently. “It’s already happened, it has to happen, and it’s NECESSARY to happen if all my plans are to occur the way we need them to.”

“But why does it have to be me?” You’re standing right there. Why don’t you do it?” She asks.

“Because I’M not the one who needs the practice.” He says crossing his hooves before him.

“All right FINE.” She says peevishly. “Show me the sequence again?” she asks.

“Certainly,” the Doctor replies.

A few moments later the Tardis scoops up a still ranting Zacherle, she immediately stops her diatribe upon finding herself inside the control room of the Tardis.

“What... what just happened. I was just in space, talking to a rather belligerent-” she stops, catching sight of the Doctor. “You,” she cries, reaching for her pendant, “what did you do?”

“In the first place, I believe you’ll find that that has no power here.” He says, as he points a small metal wand at her forehead, and depressing a knob a green glow begins to emanate from the tip. “In the second place, I didn’t do anything, that would be my... assistant over there,” he says waving toward Twilight.

“Um hi, miss goddess, um, ma’am.” Twilight says hesitantly, unsure how to address a goddess.

“Juliet? Is that you?” Zacherle asks in confusion. “Where am I, and what is going?” she asks in confusion.

The Doctor steps between her and her view of Twilight. “What’s going on is, that you are going to have a little ‘Time out’ to reconsider your attitude. And I expect when we come back that you will be a little more polite.” And with that the Doctor waves a hoof behind his back, signaling Twilight. She pulls a lever and sets the Tardis in motion once again. From Zacherle’s point of view, the strange room and everyone in it seem to have vanished, and instead she is surrounded on all sides by nuclear fire.

“What did you do to her with your wand?” Twilight asks.

“It’s not a wand Twilight. It’s my sonic screwdriver. And what I did was to scramble the linkages in her brain which allows the use of her powers. It’ll keep her from sneaking out of the sun until we come and pick her up.” He says, flipping the screwdriver in his hoof and catching it. “I never get tired of doing that. Holding things without fingers. Very, very cool. It lends credence to my theory of anthropomorphic fields, and-”

“But Doctor, without access to her powers, won’t she burn to a crisp?” Twilight asks in concern.

“What? No... no... well, I don’t think so.” He quibbles.

“You don’t THINK so?” Twilight asks in alarm.

“Well, I’m reasonably sure that her powers will kick in on a subconscious level and keep her alive. Let’s find out shall we, time to pick her up anyway.”

Twilight looks at him askew as she eases back a lever arriving in the same place they just left, but in the far future, she materializes the Tardis around the form of Zacherle. Only after a minute does she dare to open her eyes, dreading what she might see. Zacherle is there, unharmed for the most part. Her clothes are singed, her hair is burnt, and her eyes are wide.

“See Twilight, she’s fine.” The Doctor says, patting Zacherle on the back, and putting out a small fire in the process. “The Tardis has neutralized the excess radiation,” he says zapping Zacherle’s forehead with his sonic screwdriver once more, “that fixes her power block, and now we just return her home.” He says looking over at Twilight.

Twilight activates the controls once more, causing Zacherle to disappear from there midst, the last thing the future goddess utters is directed at Twilight “Juliet?” she says confusedly.

“What is it about this ‘Juliet’,” Twilight asks in consternation.

“Just a video game fixation. It happens to the best of us.” The Doctor adds.

“Well anyway, how did I do?” Twilight asks.

“If I were grading a test, I’d have to give you a … ‘B’.” The Doctor replies.

“A ‘B’?” Twilight responds indignantly. “I’ve never gotten less than an ‘A’ in all my life. How did I get a ‘B’? Everything went like it was supposed to.”

“Yes and that’s the reason you got a ‘B’. If you had done it correctly, the universe wouldn’t have seemed to have blinked for a moment there during transition. You forgot to modulate the field harmonics when you materialized around Zacherle. For a moment there the entire universe was in here with us. That was what caused the ‘blink’. But the Tardis is semi sentient, and caught the error before we were all blown across infinity, so it all worked out.” He says jovially.

“But I still got a ‘B’, Twilight mutters.

The Doctor chuckles aloud. “By Rassilon Twilight, that’s what I like about you, your sense of priorities. Well, don’t worry, you can get that ‘B’ up to an ‘A+’ in a few moments. I’m about to give you plenty of ‘extra credit’ practice.” The Doctor goes over to the controls, surreptitiously edging nearer to Twilight, and whisks the Tardis into the future.

On the viewer, the Doctor pulls up an image. “Do you remember this from Discord’s viewer?”

“By the goddess. This is the day that Cordial tried to teleport home and caused that massive explosion.”

“That’s right,” The Doctor says. And do you remember that no pony died, that everyone was miraculously saved?”

“That’s right, they all just started appearing on areas safely away from the effects of the disasters. Wait... you don’t mean?” she asks, dreading the answer.

“That’s right Twilight.” He says smugly. “YOU are about to be that miracle. To pull this off we are going to actually have to start moving ponies a little BEFORE the actual explosion takes place. You are going to have to slice time moment to moment to have enough time to get them all, and you can’t make any mistakes, because once you appear, even for an atto-moment, that moment becomes fixed, so there are no do overs. If ponies are in groups, extend the field as far as you can to get as many of them as you can at the same time.”

“But Doctor. I- I don’t know if I can do this.” She says, her eyes wide.

The Doctor turns to face her. “You CAN Twilight.” He says. You have the skill, you have the knowledge. All you need is the confidence. Let go of your doubt. Let go of your fears and worries. All those ponies out there need you. Your friends, Fluttershy, Discord, the entire future needs you. But they don’t need ‘B’ Twilight, they need ‘A+’ Twilight. Now... which Twilight am I speaking to?” he asks, looking at her intently.

She raises her head, her gaze resolute. “I’m ‘A++’ Twilight,” she says, “and the universe better not forget it.”

And with that she turns to the controls, backs up an additional ten minutes, and begins to slice time. She begins with the islands closest to the initial blast, slicing time in increments of fractions of a second, gathering whole tribes of islanders as she makes her passes, spiraling outward from the closest island. She works tirelessly hour after hour of subjective time, blinking hundreds of thousands of ponies to safety. On and on she labors as the Doctor attends to the injured and lame that appear and disappear as the Tardis endlessly fills and empties. Finally, exactly twenty-four hours and ten minutes after she began, the last pony is transported to safety, and an exhausted Twilight Sparkle, flops wearily into a nearby chair.

“So,” she says, drawing a ragged breath. “How did I do that time?” she asks.

“Twilight Evening Sparkle,” The Doctor says, including her hated middle name. “You just saved over a million and a half people. They don’t make enough plus signs to add next to an ‘A’ for the grade you just got.”

“Heh, you just said ‘people’.” Twilight says in a tired but amused voice.

“So?” the Doctor says in surprise.

“It’s nothing." She says waving a hoof. “It’s just that whenever there is a crossing, no matter which way they go, it’s ‘ponies’, and ‘humans’. It’s just the first time I’ve heard you make a mistake.”

“Twilight Sparkle, I don’t make mistakes.” The Doctor says, mentally knocking on wood. “I’ve been to countless worlds, met countless life forms. There’s far more to the universe than humans and ponies. But people are people. It doesn’t matter where you are from, or what you look like. Or even what set of values your species posses. People are people.”

At this Twilight smiles a tired smile.”That’s a pretty enlightened view Doctor,” she says.

“Well, I’ve been around awhile.” he replies modestly.

Unbeknownst to Twilight, a hushed conversation had begun behind the doorway leading into the interior of the rest of the Tardis.

“Why are we here?” A male voice whispered to his companion. “We are taking a huge risk. We aren’t supposed to be seen.”

“We are here,” a clearly female voice whispered to her companion in exasperation. “Because it’s almost time for it to happen, and I want to SEE it.”

“Let me rephrase. Why am I here.” the male voice asks.

“Because,” the female replies sweetly, “we both know that I am your FAVORITE pony, and you know that this will be more fun for me if I have some pony to share it with.” she says batting her eyelashes up at her companion, before returning her gaze to the crack in the door, that he is holding open for her.

“By my beard, I don’t know how you keep talking me into these things.” he says, as he nevertheless looks out as well.

“That’s her.” The female voice whispered to her companion. “She’s as beautiful as I was told she would be.”

“And you aren’t at all jealous?” The masculine voice whispered in return. “After all, isn’t that your husband that she’s flirting with?”

The female lets out a long sigh. “Look, we’ve been over this before. As I’ve already explained to you that is NOT my husband. That is a different pony all together. My husband is ‘later’. That pony is ‘earlier’.”

“So wait,” the masculine voice says, trying to understand. “He,” the male says pointing out at the Doctor, is ‘earlier’ than you. But she,” he says, now pointing at Twilight, is ‘later’ than you. But your husband is ‘later’ than her, but you are ‘earlier’ than her?” he asks.

“See, now you got it.” She says with a satisfied smile.

‘I have no idea what I just said,” the male replies shaking his head.

“Oh just hush up and pay attention,” she admonishes. “Things are about to get to the good part.”

“So now that I’ve had all that ‘practice’, are we ready to go after that object you were speaking of?” Twilight asks, rising to her hooves.

“Are you sure you don’t want to rest a little longer?” he asks as she moves to the console beside him.

“I’m fine,” she says confidently. “I’ve pulled all nighters before. Let’s just put in in ‘neutral’ long enough to make some coffee, and I’ll be good to go.” she says reaching for the appropriate lever.

“Well, alright, if you say so,” the Doctor replies, also unconsciously reaching for the same lever.

Their hooves reach the lever at the same moment, and then, both literally and figuratively, time stops.

Twilight’s hoof reaches the lever a fraction of a second before the Doctor’s. This means that it is the Doctor’s hoof that clasps reflexively over Twilight’s. The moment the two make contact, both of them stop moving.

Twilight’s heart begins to beat faster and faster, as a rush of emotions that she had been ignoring up until now, immediately scream for attention inside of her head. A warmth spreads outwards from her heart, flooding her whole being, as she slowly turns to face the Doctor.

As soon as his hoof closed over Twilight’s, what feels like a thousand lightning bolts shoots up his arm and into his chest. Both his hearts begin to pound like sledgehammers, as a feeling he had heard of, but had never himself experienced before, began to fill his entire being. More powerful than the largest surge of regeneration energy, the force of this feeling threatened to topple him from his legs, as he slowly looked down into Twilight’s upturned face.

Behind the inner door, a petite female pony begins to hoof pump wildly, whispering “YESSSS!” as loudly as she dared, while her male companion merely gazed in slack jawed awe at the events he was witnessing.

Twilight and the Doctor looked deeply into each other eyes. Their hooves still locked on the lever.

“This is...” he began.

“Yes,” she responds.

“But it can’t be,” he says, “I’ve never,”

“Me either,” she replies.

“This wasn’t part of my calculations,” he says

“I think I’m glad,” she says back.

“Me too,” he says. “But you know we can’t,” he says leaning closer, despite his own words.

“No, we can’t, it would be bad,” she says her own face rising to meet his.

“So very bad,” he says wrapping his hooves around her as he draws her muzzle the final distance to his, then they both close their eyes and fall into a full deep kiss.

“Shoryuken!” The hidden female says leaping from her crouch high into the air spinning as she raises her hoof to the sky.

Despite her outburst both Twilight and the Doctor remain oblivious, as their entire world is reduced to each other and the kiss they are still sharing.

“In all of my life, I never thought that this day would come.” The male next to her says astounded. “I have now, literally, seen it all.”

“Hah, not yet you haven’t,” the female says impishly.

“What do you mean?” he asks.

“Nuh uh... spoilers,” she admonishes, as she resumes her voyeuristic repose.

Finally the two open their eyes and move reluctantly back from each other, still holding each other in their arms.

“Twilight, this wasn’t supposed to happen,” the Doctor says, stroking her mane.

“That’s what YOU think,” a female voice whispers a door away.

Twilight rests her head for a moment on the Doctor’s chest. She listens to the deep strong beat of his hearts as she replies. “I’m sure you’re right. We have a universe to fix. I need to save my friends.” She wraps her hooves around him tightly. “It’s so wrong, but this feels so important.”

She finally looks up at the Doctor, waiting for him to say the words that he must, the words to make her let go, because she knows there is no way that she can do so on her own. What she sees is the Doctor smiling down at her. But it isn’t his normal ‘whistling in the dark’ smile that he always wears. It’s the smile of a person who has lived his life in darkness and is witnessing his first dawn.

He tilts her chin upwards, “Twilight, you’ll have to trust me on this, but I think that at this moment in time, that THIS IS the most important thing in the universe.” He says bringing his lips to meet hers once more.

After what seems like an eternity, their lips part once more.

“All of my life,” Twilight says in hushed tones. “I’ve seen it happen to other ponies. But there was always too much to be done. Years slipped away, but I was always focused on my work. I tried to tell myself that it was okay. That what I was doing was more important. I never even knew how lonely I had been... until now.”

“All the lifetimes I’ve had,” The Doctor replies, resting a hoof on her cheek. “I never knew. Companions came and went. Civilizations were birthed and died, and they all knew this. This one thing that I had no idea was so important, so necessary. But I never took the time to see it.”

“I know,” Twilight replies. “There was never enough time.”

They gaze deeply into each others eyes. And then suddenly they both exclaim at the same instant.

“TIME!” and both their hooves pull downward on the lever. And the Tardis comes to a halt.

They begin to shower each others faces with kisses, smiling and laughing all the while.

The Doctor picks up Twilight and spins her in his arms.

“Time! He says with a laugh, “we have all the time in the world, in a hundred thousand worlds!”

“Time enough to save the universe. Twilight says her laughter pure and clear, “Time enough for love.”

“Yes,” the Doctor says, putting her down carefully. “Time enough for love.”

Soundlessly the two hidden ponies make their way back to their chambers deeper inside the Tardis. Every now and then the look at each other, big goofy smiles plastered across their faces, as behind them two people discover love for the first time.

It had only been a moment since the Tardis had left the dirt road leading its way to Ponyville. But in the next it had returned once again. The door opened and Twilight Sparkle emerges. Her hooves, had she noticed, perfectly fitting into the hoof prints that she left only a moment before. She turns to face the open door as a young alicorn comes running at her full force. She kneels down and kisses her forehead right below her tiny lavender horn.

“Now you be a good girl for daddy sweetheart,” she says, rising to her hooves as the Doctor comes up beside them. “Mommy is going to go save the world.”