• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,952 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,952

Part 12

Part 12

Aftermaths and Interludes

The glare from the viewing globe finally faded, and the ponies in Discord's sitting room rubbed their eyes as their vision slowly returned. Discord sat next to Fluttershy, absently stroking her mane. On the viewer, the island, and the area surrounding it was gone. Sea water was rushing in to fill the vast chasm that was left in the aftermath of the explosion, while simultaneously huge waves were spreading outwards in all directions. A giant plume of dust and ash filled the sky above where the island had been, and was slowly being blown across the sea towards the mainland. The room was silent for several moments. Finally Twilight broke the silence.

“How did this happen?” she asked in a quiet, subdued voice.

Discord's face was strangely devoid of expression as he replied. “Cordial attempted to us ALICORN magic, to teleport his body, which was infused with approximately forty percent of the entire planet's chaos, through a barrier specifically designed to keep chaos inside of it... It didn't work.”

Twilight looks at Discord's expression oddly, as she asks. “But the dragon, he thought they could pass thru the barrier from inside of Summergale or You.”

At the mention of his mother, Discord seems to come back to himself as he lowers his head. “I don't know Twilight, either he was mistaken, or...” and Discord let's the sentence trail off as he changes the view on the remote, and zooms out from the view of where the island was to a view spanning most of the ocean from coast to coasts.

The ponies see the vast tidal waves as they engulf port cites, cities still shaken by earthquakes caused by the titanic force of the explosion that recently occurred. The mountain range surrounding Sorraia had crumbled into the basin, and the docks were landlocked as the ocean itself had receded. Many shorelines had become noticeably longer, while several islands had become temporarily submerged by tidal waves.

“H-how many were lost?” Twilight asked in a subdued voice.

“None.” Discord replied, as he shifts the view to one of the mountain ranges that was high enough to escape the flooding and the worst of the earthquakes. Here they can see ponies being teleported onto a vast range. Some in city garb, some in island dress. They watch for a few moments as many more arrive.

“Did Zacherle and Muenchinger save them?” Twilight asks.

“I assume so. Someone with Godlike powers did.” Discord replies.

Discord shifts the viewer back to Zacherle's home in Equinity.

Harmony and Zacherle stand before the viewer. Tears streaming down their cheeks, as they too watch the aftereffects of the explosion. On the viewer an image of the 'Rising Dawn' can be seen being swept into shore by the crest of a wave. Keil and the others are seen disembarking before the view shifts again to the vast cloud of ash that is heading to the shores of Sorraia.

“That cloud will eventually pass over much of Equestria, and with it will come the residual chaos left from the island. Over time it will give rise to all manner of ills for this world.” Zacherle intones.

“What does it matter!” Harmony wails. “What does any of it matter! My father is gone, my mother is gone, my brother...” Her voice catches in her throat, “m-my brother...”

“Your brother will return.” Zacherle says evenly.

“What?” Harmony says in a shocked voice, “But how? He-” Harmony stammers.

“His body was infused with pure chaos. He may have unmade the minds that governed it, but the chaos remained inside of him, a part of him. That was why he couldn't use his alicorn magic to teleport himself out of the barrier. Chaos is like energy. It cannot be destroyed. In this case, merely dispersed. Cordial will eventually return. Although it may take many years for his body to reform. But listen child. Right now your people need you. There are earthquakes and storms, and your subjects need a leader. Right now you are the only one that can be that leader. You should go and help as many as you can. Refugees will soon be arriving in the city, many ponies have lost their homes, so very many will need your help.” All the while Zacherle had been guiding the princess to the entrance way of her home.

It was only after the doors had closed behind her that Harmony seemed to come back to herself enough to wonder why Zacherle had not used her magics to restore what was damaged, and only much later did she ponder the fact that Zacherle must have known what would happen to Cordial once he had absorbed the elementals chaos.

After the doors closed, Zacherle turned to find herself face to face with an enraged Stonewall. “That the Goddess I have loved and worshiped all of my life could do such a thing!” he began.

“You cannot judge me Stonewall.” She replies quietly. “No, I judge myself. And I come up wanting.” She says as her wings droop and she hangs her head.

The cloaked and hooded figure of the unknown pony steps from the shadows. “I just finished my last sweep. It took quite a bit of doing, but no pony was killed.”

Stonewalls face looks up incredulous. “Oh don't look so shocked Stonewall,” the figure says. “You are keeping company with Gods and the like, did you think we were all heartless? Here have a jellypony.”

The figure extends a small white bag, and Stonewall absently takes one of the gummy pony shaped treats and puts it in his mouth. “Also I think you might want to consider HER point of view,” he says nodding to the retreating form of the goddess. “She and her friend came here to try to make a perfect world. Despite the fact that they themselves were not. Yes, they made a mistake, and yes that mistake will have... consequences. But they didn't do such a bad job. YOU are here, and you turned out all right. But right now all she can see is all the devastation that has occurred, and that she feels responsible for. She's thinking about where she came from, she's thinking that she brought it along with her. She's a very good...person, but right now she doesn't think so. Right now she could use a friend to keep her from doing something foolish.”

Stonewall looks up at the figure before him. “All this time, and it's like I never knew you.”

“I get that a lot.” the figure says as he offers the bag to Stonewall. “Here, I think she might like some. Try offering her a piece.”

Stonewall regards the bag of gummy candy in his hoof. “As offerings to my Goddess goes, this is certainly...unique.” he says wryly.

“It's not an offering to your 'goddess',” the figure says in exasperation, “it's an offering to your friend!” he says, gently pushing Stonewall toward the retreating figure of Zacherle.

The hooded figure watches the retreating form of Stonewall, the hood he wears hides any expression of amusement he may be feeling, as Stonewall catches up to Zacherle, and offers her a piece of candy from the bag. He continues to watch as she pops a piece into her mouth while she listens to whatever Stonewall is telling her. Suddenly, impulsively, the goddess moves forward and kisses Stonewall on the lips, cutting him off mid sentence. Stonewall's eyes go wide with surprise as he holds his hooves out to either side. But as the kiss continues, he finally lowers them to hold her in a gentle embrace, and closing his eyes, he returns her kiss.

Muenchinger comes up behind the hooded figure, and places his hoof on his shoulder.

“Meddling again?” He asks.

“It's what I do.” the figure replies.

“Good job!” The sky stallion says, clapping him hard on the back, nearly dislodging his hood.

“Careful,” the figure says, “you know we are still being watched.” He says as he palms his metal wand and points it over his shoulder. “Isn't that right... Dis-Cordial?” Then a familiar green light emits from the metal wand and the viewer goes black.

“Dis-Cordial?” Twilight says.

“Okay. THAT was new.” The chaos lord says, leaping to his feet and looking troubled, as he studies the blackened viewing globe.

Celestia speaks up. “It's obvious that the figure KNEW we were watching it. How? What does this mean?”

“I don't know,” Discord replies in a flustered voice.

“These events took place in the far distant past. Nearly at the beginning of the world, as ages go. And yet that figure was talking to us... to you, right now. Who was he?” Luna asks absently.

“I already told you before Luna, I don't know.” Discord responds even more upset.

Discord begins pacing his sitting room obviously very agitated.

Twilight speaks up again. “He somehow knew we were watching him, from the distant future, but despite being that capable, he still got your name wrong? Dis-Cordial?”

This seems to upset the chaos lord more than anything yet spoken. Finally he speaks.

“I think, what we all need, is a break.”

“A break?” Twilight asks.

Yes, Twilight.” Discord responds in a more reasonable tone. My sister wont be here for three more days. Let's all take a break from this, I'll restart time, we can all go home, relax, and get a good nights sleep, and then come back tomorrow. I can open portals up to all of your homes, at say noon? We can come back, I'll stop time again, and we can finish the story then. Is that all right with every pony?” He asks.

Several ponies in the room were agreeable to the idea, while several others wanted to continue, finally Fluttershy spoke up. “Um, if it's all right with all of you, I really think that we should take a break like my husband wants. It's obvious that watching these events again has been really upsetting for him.” She says as she gently pats her husbands paw. He breaks off from his brooding thoughts to smile warmly down at her.

“Thank you.” He says softly.

“Well, I reckon that's settled,” Applejack says as she and Spike and Luna began to make their way to the door. Spike and Luna have already begun talking amongst themselves causing Applejack to blush.

“Just a moment Cuz,” Discord says, snapping his claw. A small crystal viewer appears, and he tosses it to Applejack. “For your Granny.” he says. “It contains all that we have seen up until this point. Sorry I haven't the time to edit it at the moment.”

“Oh yeah,” Applejack says looking down at the viewer. “Ah almost fergot about that. Ah'm sure she will be very... surprised.”

“No doubt,” Discord says, a trace of amusement in his voice. “Portals will be in the garden, and will take you wherever you need to go. Fluttershy dear, will you show our guests out. I'd like a moment or two to try to fiddle with this viewer, perhaps I can sort it out.”

“Of course dear,” Fluttershy says rising up to kiss her husband on the cheek. “But don't obsess too much over it. After all, it's all in the past,” she says as she follows the rest of their friends out of the door.

As soon as Fluttershy leaves the room, Discord turns to face the viewer once more, a scowl darkening his features. “All in the past is it? Perhaps. But I begin to wonder... oh yes...”

Twilight hurries up to Applejack before she can step into a portal to take her home.

“Applejack, can I ask you a favor before you leave?”

“Of course sugar cube, what is it?” She replies.

“Could I see that crystal viewer Discord gave you for a minute?” Twilight inquires.

“Sure, here you go,” Applejack says extending it.

Twilight lifts it from her hoof with her magic, studying it thoroughly. Then she returns it to Applejack. Then her horn comes alight again, and an exact duplicate of the crystal viewer appears in Twilight's hoof.

“Duplication spell,” she explains.

“Ah'm sure Discord would’ve made ya'll a copy, if'n ya asked him.” Applejack says, somewhat puzzled.

“Oh, I know,” Twilight responds, “But he's obviously upset by all of what's been going on, and I really didn't want to bother him right now. I just thought that I might spend some time on my own, just to see if I could find out anything useful.” Twilight says nonchalantly.

“Oh, I see.” Applejack says after a moment. “Yeah, it's gotta be hard on him going through his past all over again. Especially with what all we just saw.” Applejack is then distracted by Spike waving at her. “Well, good luck with your research. I uh, think Spike will probably be sleeping over tonight.” Apple jack says with a blush.

Twilight rolls her eyes. “Yeah, I kind of got that impression, from what we overheard from the garden.” She says.

“What!” Applejack says, blushing furiously. “I, uh, I gotta go...” she says hurrying off.

“See you tomorrow!” Twilight says with a giggle at her friends retreating form.

Princess Celestia, and Luna emerge from their portal into the throne room at Canterlot. “Your highness's,” the captain of the royal guard says, bowing deeply. “We had not anticipated your return so soon,” he says, as they bid him to rise.

“We had an unexpected interruption to our festivities,” Celestia replies. “We shall be returning tomorrow at noon, for an indeterminate amount of time. In the meantime captain, please recall any members of the royal guard that are away on leave, except for family emergencies. In the next three days there may be a minor situation in the outskirts of Ponyville that might call for our intervention.”

“At once your highness!” The guard captain responds, as he salutes before departing.

Luna raises an eyebrow at her sister.

“Only a precaution my sister.” Celestia says. “They haven't actually seen each other for thousands and thousands of years. And none of their meetings have ever ended well for either them, or the surrounding countryside.”

“It's hard to believe she is returning.” Luna says quietly. “She's been gone so very, very long. I have no idea what to say to her.”

Celestia smiles wryly down at Luna, “Think more on what we will have to say to everyone tomorrow, sister dear. You do realize that Discord will have to tell them about us very soon.”

“I-I had not thought about that.” Luna says, giving the matter serious thought. “But they are our friends. I'm sure they will understand.”

“Perhaps so,” Celestia says carefully, “but I'm not so sure that Twilight will be as quick to forgive as the others. She was my protege, for many years. I'm sure she will have... questions.” Celestia says with a troubled frown.

Luna places a comforting hoof on her big sister's shoulder. “Don't let it worry you too much my sister. If they could forgive the Lord of Chaos, I'm sure they will forgive the Princess of the Sun.” she says, and then adds impishly, “After all, EVERY pony loves Princess Sunbutt!” she says, darting down the hallway.

“I told you never to call me that!” Celestia calls after her, giving chase.

As they pass the two guards stationed at the entrance way, both of them roll their eyes. Waiting for the two royal sisters to get further down the hallway, one finally says to the other. “Ever since her sister came back from the moon, it's been like one big sleepover here, every night.”

“I heard that!” The voice of Celestia travels back down the hallway. Followed by Luna's voice a moment later.

“Oooh, thou art sooo busted!” Luna says, her giggles trailing off in the distance. The other guard just shakes his head.

Princess Cadence, and her husband Shining Armor emerge from their portal in the Crystal Empire. “And don't think I didn't see you and Spike follow Discord out into the garden.” Cadence chides her husband. “You make plenty of time for your MALE friends, but every time Twilight and the girls invite me over, you always seem to be busy.”

“But Cady, sweetheart, every time you get together with your marefriends, all you talk about is clothes, and hair, and makeup. It's like, SO boring.”

“Boring? Boring?!? Shining Polished Armor! Did you just call me boring?!?” Cadence says, her voice rising.

“Please Cady, I told you, I like, TOTALLY hate my middle name. And I never said YOU were boring. All I was saying was, that I never have anything to contribute. I mean, I like totally respect your friends and all, but even my sister isn't interested in sports, or training, or, you know, like guy stuff.” Shining says trying to calm his wife down.

“Well, what about Rainbow Dash? She's into all that 'guy stuff' isn't she.” Cadence inquires nattily.

“Well, yeah. But lately it's all Wonderbolts this, and Daring Do that. I can't fly Cady, and I'm not that big on books you know.” Shining explains.

“Yes, I know dear.” Cadence says coming up beside her husband, patting him lightly on the cheek. “It's a good thing you are always the most handsome pony in the room,” she says giving him a light kiss.

Shining Armor relaxes in a chair, secretly relieved that the storm was passing.

But then his wife inquires, “So what DID you three talk about out there in the garden, anyway?”

Zecora emerges from her portal back into her home in the Everfree forest. She makes her way into her modest library muttering to herself. “None until the fourth age? I'm sure that can't be true. My records go back further, this I'm sure they do.” She begins to extract volume after volume and places them on her reading desk. Then she goes into the kitchen and puts on a pot of strong herbal tea, as she prepares to settle in for a long night of reading.

Pinky Pie and Rarity emerge from the same portal together. “Are you sure it was okay that I told them?” Pinky asks cautiously.

“Darling, it's fine.” Rarity assure her friend. “Everything worked out for the best. And did you see the look on their faces when Summergale began 'The Sailor's Speech'?”

Both ponies laugh, as they walk off together.” Now we simply MUST pick out new outfits for tomorrow's visit. Luckily I just happen to have finished some new designs...” Rarity says as they make their way back to her boutique.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are the last to say goodbye in the garden.

“Some party huh?” Rainbow asks.

“I'll say. Fluttershy responds. One minute it's just me and Discord and Angel Bunny, and now suddenly I have a sister-in-law! And more than that, one that actually frightens my husband. To tell you the truth, I'm feeling a little nervous about her visit.”

“Ah, don't worry about it. I'LL be here when she comes. And so will all your friends. We wouldn't let ANYTHING happen to you. And it's not like you aren't married to an all powerful lord of chaos...” At that moment a small explosion can be heard coming from inside.

“Blasted viewer.” Discord's voice can barely be heard. Then more loudly, “Don't worry dear, I can fix that!”

Rainbow smiles weakly at Fluttershy. Well, he's had a really hard day.” She says as a much louder explosion occurs. Smoke can now be seen coming out of the windows.

“{Cough, Cough}, I can fix that too! Nothing to be alarmed about!” Discord says, as his voice trails off muttering something about “reversing the polarity of the neutron flow? What was I thinking!”

Twilight emerges from her portal alone, and opens her front door. She blithely ignores the commotion of her three house guests, as the dark haired one begins to chase the pink fluffy one down the hall, yelling as he goes, both passing her without notice. The third is in pursuit at a more leisurely pace, an amused expression on her face. As she passes Twilight she takes the time to ask, “Did you give my best to Cadence and Shining?”

“It must have slipped my mind.” Twilight replies dryly, as she makes her way upstairs to her new study. “Oh by the way,” she calls down to her ebony house guest, “Please tell the others that I am going to be working on something, and not to bother me for the rest of the afternoon until dinner time.”

“Well I can try, but you KNOW how well they listen.” comes the response.

“Tell them that if they DO bother me, then NO TACO'S FOR DINNER!” Twilight says as she closes the door.

Twilight makes her way to her work desk, and places the crystal viewer upon it. Before she can activate it, she hears a loud crash from below, followed by a “pfffftbllblblb blblbll” and then a different voice yelling “CHANDELLIERS!”

“I really, really, need a special somepony in my life,” she mutters to herself, as she massages the temples of her her forehead with her hooves...