• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,953 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,953

Epilogue 2

Epilogue 2
Other Reunions


It was a beautiful fall afternoon, the shadows of the autumn leaves lengthened as the evening twilight heralded the coming of night.

Chrysalis, former queen of the changelings, and current house guest of Twilight Sparkle was lying in her canopy bed attempting to read the latest volume of the ‘Daring Do’ series, that Twilight had let her borrow. Her efforts were meeting with the usual mixed results due in no small part to Twilight’s other house guests.

“ARHHHH! What were you THINKING?! You can’t toast a peanut butter and banana sandwich! I’ve told you a hundred times, you have to FRY it!” The disgruntled shouts of Chryssi’s human friend boom throughout the Castle of Friendship, only to be followed by.

“Pbbbbbt. Pbbt. Pbbbbbbbbbbt.”

“I can SEE that the toaster is on fire! No! Don’t throw water on it!” the human shouts, as the lights begin to flicker.

“Pbbbt? Pbbbbttttt!”

“Because even if it is magic, it BEHAVES like electricity! Look, just hoof me that screwdriver, I’ll try to fix it.”

“Pbbbbbbbt. Pbbt.”

“What do you mean I forgot to un- YAHHHHH! TOASTERS!!!”

“And tonight’s vendetta has been selected!” Chrysalis declaims to herself, rolling her eyes. “Perhaps now I can finally finish this chapter.”

Suddenly a soft tap can be heard at her window. A few moments later a louder tap occurs. Finally a rock comes crashing through and lands on her bed.

“By the Sky stallion! Can I get not even five minutes of peace!” Chrysalis says in irritation as she rises up, and flings the doors of her balcony open with her magic.

“Whoever is out there had better have a ‘fate of Equestria’ level reason for disturbing me! Well? Who’s there!” She yells into the darkness.

“Quiet down,” a voice hisses from below. “You don’t need to stir up half of Ponyville.”

“Who is it? Who’s there? And why are you throwing rocks at me? Didn’t you get the memo? I’m reformed. I have the official pardon from both Celestia, and Twilight Sparkle right over my dresser.”

“So I’ve heard,” the figure of a unicorn says, as he steps from the shadows. “I must say, I couldn’t hardly believe it though.”

Peering downward, Chrysalis can clearly make out the identity of the pony as he steps out into the dying light of day.

“Brother? Is it really you? I thought you were dead.”

“As did all of those foolish ponies back in the Empire. But Sombra is not so easily slain! Come sister, I would have words with you.” The former King of the Crystal Empire says, as he beckons to his erstwhile sister.

Darting a quick glance over her shoulder, the former queen of the changelings quickly descends to the soft grass. Wordlessly the two move into a nearby copse of trees. Once hidden by the shadows, Chrysalis speaks.

“You shouldn’t be here brother. If anypony catches sight of you, the alicorns will be down on you in a hot minute.”

“Oh I don’t plan to be here long. I still have business in the empire. Business that concerns YOU as well, Snowblossom.”

“Don’t call me that! Never call me that again! Cordial renamed me after my betrayal, and a pony never deserved a more fitting punishment than I did. I am Chrysalis, dear brother. Now and forever.” Chryssi says bitterly.

“Ah yes, Chrysalis... formerly Queen Chrysalis. Your changeling hive was a force to be feared all across Equestria, or so I heard. But all that ended after your last defeat. You gave up. You quit! And now you just mooch off of the victor’s table. You beg for scraps like the runt of a diamond dog litter. Have you no shame! Have you no dignity! Where is the proud queen who would rule over all? Where has my SISTER gone?” Sombra says, sneering in contempt.

“The sister YOU seek no longer exists.” Chrysalis snaps back. “But the one who stands before you is more like the pony whom Snowblossom was, than she has been in thousands of years.”

“Oh really? The Snowblossom that tricked Cordial into loving her, just so she could break his heart and steal his power?” Sombra mocks.

“No brother,” Chrysalis replies calmly. “the Snowblossom BEFORE that. The good and decent pony who cared for her friends, her family. The one who loved without malice, who gave without greed.

I doubt you will ever understand, your mind was always so warped and twisted, long before you stole Discord’s power. But the ponies forgave me, gave me a chance to atone. Gave me a place to stay, and the love I now need to survive. And in doing so, gave me a chance to recover some of who I was, so very long ago.”

“By the gods! Your mewling makes me want to retch! I came here to offer you a chance to reclaim your former glory! To stand beside me as co-ruler of the Crystal Empire, just like we had planned in the beginning. But now I wonder why I even bothered. It seems my sister is no longer here.” Sombra says, turning away from Chrysalis in disgust.

“Rule the empire? Really? And how did you hope to accomplish that?” Chrysalis says, her curiosity piqued. “You were all but destroyed the last time you tried.”

“That was only due to them finding and restoring the Crystal Heart at the last moment. Were it not for that god’s cursed artifact I would be secure in my rule even now. But there IS still a way. If you my sister will return with me, you can impersonate one of those foolish ponies, and simply trot inside and take the heart right from under their muzzles. The guards are few, and they have grown lax, confident that my darkness cannot pass through their shield. But as you keep reminding me, you are ‘reformed’. You are recognized as a ‘good pony’ now.” Sombra says, pacing back and forth before her. “Do this for me sister! We can seize the empire, and rule it as we were always meant to, together!” Sombra says, in a hungry, predatory manner. His manner shifts abruptly as he begins to entreat to his sibling.

“Think about it sister, it is but a simple bit of theft, you need not even hurt any pony. Why should you? They will be YOUR subjects afterwords. You’ll be a queen again, on a much grander throne. Think about it, no more skulking in your cage, no more looks of pity and scorn. They will love you, they will fear you, they will obey your every whim.” Sombra rants, his eyes going wide, as spittle escapes his muzzle.

‘No more small yet cozy room,’ she thinks, looking up at her balcony. ‘No more pink fuzzball leaping upon me every day. No more angry human rant’s and vendetta’s at all hours of the day and night. No more looking down from the balcony, and watching Twilight and her friends prepare to head off and save Equestria at least once a week, while I stay behind and clean up after everyone.’

“Queen of the Empire?” She says in a questioning manner, as she gazes sidelong at her brother.

“Just like we planned from the beginning.” Sombra replies eagerly.

“Very well. But there are some artifacts of great power hidden in the castle that we should take with us to help secure our rule.” Chrysalis says, as a wicked smile, long absent, plays across her muzzle. “Twilight and her friends are planning to leave tomorrow morning to travel to some far distant town. Meet me at the main doors, just after the ponies leave, and I will deliver to you a power greater than you could hope to imagine.”

“Agreed sister.” Sombra says with an evil chuckle. “I knew that the real ‘you’ was still lurking about. Even buried as it was, there is no hiding from your destiny. You were MEANT to do this! Together we shall conquer an empire, and eventually all of Equestria!” He says, embracing his sibling as the two prepare to depart.

“Until tomorrow, brother,” Chrysalis says, as she flies back up to her room.

She watches for a moment as her brother fades back into the shadows.

“Ah, how quickly things can change.” she says to herself absently. “From pony, to monster, to queen, and eventually back again. Queen Chrysalis once more. No. Queen Snowblossom perhaps? Heh, certainly sounds better.” She says as she draws the curtains on the approaching evening.

The following morning, the sun shone brightly, and the chill of a crisp autumn wind flew through the air.

Sombra had waited impatiently since dawn broke through the clouds, and finally was rewarded by the sight of twilight and her five friends, hastily departing the castle. He waited several minutes more, until he was satisfied that they would not be returning, then he quickly made his way to the unguarded caste doors.

“Chrysalis? Are you there? It’s me.” He rasps.

“Indeed brother,” the muffled voice of his sister intones, please, come inside.”

‘Oh my foolish little sister, so easily swayed to my cause.’ Sombra thinks to himself, chuckling evilly. ‘I may even decide to let you live once this is over. Providing of course that you remain of use.’ And with an evil smile, Sombra, former king of the Crystal Empire, opens the doors of the castle of friendship, preparing to lay siege to it’s treasures... Only to freeze in his tracks, a look of horror on his face.

A flash goes off, and an all too familiar voice exclaims. “Well, THAT one is going into the scrapbook.” The Lord of Chaos takes a few more pictures before setting aside his camera. “Oh the look on your face! Priceless!” Look girls, remember Sombra? Ex sailor? Ex snazzy dresser? Ex minor threat to the Crystal Empire? Now everypony wave!”

“Hi Sombra,” six ponies, a dragon, and a human, all chorus together. While a pink ball of fur adds her own ‘Pbt Pbbbbt!”

The former king remains frozen, speechless.

“Your offer of an empire was lacking.” Chrysalis says to the confused ex monarch. “A true ruler cares for his subjects, and they in turn care for him.“The ponies here accept me as I am, they care for me, and give me their love, and I do the same in return. In THIS castle I AM still treated like a queen. And my first and only command is for you to BEGONE!” she finishes in the ‘Royal Canterlot Voice’.

Sombra begins to recover from his shock. “I should never have given you this chance. You’ve gone soft sister. Weak and soft! Just like all of your friends.”

“Oh Sombra?” Discord says calmly, gaining the former kings attention. “How soft is this?”

And for the second time today, Sombra’s eyes go wide in terror, as Discord rears back his claw. A claw seething with all of the unimaginable power of pure chaos pulsing inside it. Then, just as before, so many years ago, Discord unleashes it all in a devastating punch, the force of which bends a trough through reality itself as a triple rainboom of reds and blacks follow in the wake of Sombra’s rapidly departing form.

“Oh now, that’s just showing off!” Rainbow Dash says, crossing her hooves in front of her.

“Hah, look who’s talking!” Applejack replies.

“Pbbbbt PBBBT!” their pink furred companion says excitedly.

“‘Falcon Punch’ indeed,” Dan adds.

“Wow! That was MUCH more impressive seeing it in person.” Spike says to Discord, who is absently stroking his wife’s mane.

“Tell me about it,” Chryssi adds. “And that’s the second time I’ve seen it up close.”

Discord walks over to the former queen. “That could not have been easy for you. Turning in you own brother. Giving up a chance to rule again.”

“It wasn’t as hard as you might think. Sombra never tried to be any better than he was. He blamed you for all of his misfortune, but even after we tricked you and stole your powers, he was just the same.

After he conquered the Crystal Empire, he had a chance to prove his worth, to help all those unfortunates that he used to claim he represented. But all he did was to terrorize those he ruled. He was a brutal and merciless dictator. I could never help him rise to power again.”

She looks upwards into the face of Discord, her voice dropping to a near whisper. “I know it probably doesn’t mean much, but there’s something I’ve been wanting to say to you for a while now. I- I’m sorry Cordial. For hurting you so deeply. For betraying your trust, and for all that I and my brother have done.” Chryssi lowers her head. “I-I know you can never forgive me, bu-”

“Oh hush.” Discord says, raising her head with a claw to face him. “That is the most appropriate use of the term ‘ancient history’ I have ever heard. Of course I forgive you.”

“You do?” Chryssi says incredulously.

“Silly Chryssi,” Pinkie Pie says, bouncing up to her. “If Discord still held a grudge, he could’ve gotten his revenge a hundred times over by now.” Pinkie stops bouncing and starts counting, “He could have dropped a boulder on you, or put bug spray in your soup, or a giant spider in your room, or a giant magnifying gla-”

“We GET the idea, Pinkie.” Twilight says, noticing Chryssi getting paler and paler with each suggestion.

Twilight turns and faces the chaos lord. “But as impressive as that was just now, wouldn’t it have been smarter to capture Sombra instead of just punching him halfway across Equestria?”

“Oh, don’t worry Twilight, my aim has gotten much better than it used to be.” He says enigmatically.


Meanwhile in Canterlot...

“Things have certainly been quiet lately,” Luna remarks to her sister, as they and Justice share an early brunch.

“Well,” Celestia responds, “between Twilight’s record of successes, and all the additional alicorns, an enemy would have to be suicidally insane to try to attac-” Suddenly a loud explosion rocks the castle, rattling the cups in their saucers, and causing Luna to drop her toast, strawberry jelly side down, onto her chest.

“We are NOT amused!” she says, futilely trying to wipe the sticky preserves out of her coat.

Moments later one of Celestia’s royal guard frantically begs an audience.

“Speak quickly captain, are we under attack?” Celestia asks, as she rises.

“Uh, no your highness... um, not exactly.” the guard responds nervously.

Celestia studies the guard in confusion. “Well, if we aren’t under an attack, then what in the name of Zacherle just happened?”

“Well, uh, you majesty. It um, appears that the unconscious form of Sombra just crashed through the outside wall of one of our dungeon cells.”

“But those cells are three stories below ground.” Celestia replies.

“Ah, yes... that’s true your highness, nevertheless he made a nice large hole. The head gardener is quite upset. I’m sure he will be sending up his report on the damages soon.”

“So let me see if I’m understanding you correctly,” Luna says, moving to face the guard. “One of the deadliest menaces in all of Equestria, whom, up until this time, we all presumed was dead, just shot though our foundation like a cannonball, and is unconscious in one of our cells. Could you offer any sort of explanation as to why this occurred?” she says in the tones of one who is still quite angry about her jam encrusted coat.

“W-well,” the guard stammers, “there was a note on him when he landed...” He says, passing over a scroll to Luna.

She snatches it from his hooves peevishly, and begins to read aloud.


‘Dear Niece,

Even though it’s a little early, I’ve decided to go ahead and give you your birthday present.

Forgive the lack of wrapping paper, but I fear it would have burned off upon re-entry anyway.

Hugs, and kisses,

Discord, Lord of Chaos.

P.S. Strawberry looks good on you Luna, you should talk to Rarity about a few dresses.’


“DISSSSSSCOOOOOORRRRD!!!