• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 2,953 Views, 271 Comments

Discord's Family Reunion - Mister E



Celestia's plan to reform Discord had worked beyond her expectations. But as he and his new pony bride start to settle down to a life of friendship and kindness, a letter arrives from a family member, sending the Chaos Lord into a panic.

  • ...
20
 271
 2,953

Part 18

Part 18
For Those We Love

The next few weeks were like a dream for Cordial. As soon as Snowblossom finishes her duties, each day Cordial comes to see her. More than once Cordial has offered to simply reassign her to his personal staff, but Snowblossom steadfastly refused.

“What would ponies say about us?” Was her excuse, despite the fact that gossip had already begun circulating about the two.

On this particular afternoon, Cordial had taken Snowblossom to see his new laboratory in the top of the eastern tower.

“Laboratory?” Snowblossom asks, as they approach the main door. An imposing iron bound edifice set with an impressive lock.

“Oh yes, here I plan to conduct my magical experiments. And it’s far enough away from the rest of the castle that any um... mistakes, wont be overly disruptive to any pony else. Also I can keep everything safe from prying eyes. No pony is allowed up here, and even if they were overly curious, this door is magically reinforced, and the room is sealed against teleportation. The only way in is with this key.” And with that Cordial produces an elaborately ornate key, glowing faintly with magic. This door is locked with a chaos lock, and this,” he says with a flourish, “is a chaos key.”

“Chaos lock? What does that do?” Snowblossom inquires.

“It’s a lock that is constantly changing on the inside. It is impossible to pick the tumblers. The only way to open it is with a key that does the same thing. It’s my own design, one of my first inventions. I imagine every storehouse, bank, and warehouse in Equestria will want one.” Cordial says proudly.

“That’s so very clever!” Snowblossom says, giving him a quick peck on the cheek.

Cordial blushes slightly as he opens the doors and leads her inside. Here in the vast open space of the tower’s highest room Snowblossom can see long rows of tables lining the walls, each one separated by small open spaces. Many of the tables are covered with beakers and glass tubes of every shape, size and color, some bubbling away on oil burners. Several tables contain long sealed boxes with glass fronts and different colors of magical energy drift about on the insides. One side of the room however is most disturbing. It is filled with cages of various sizes, each containing strange and disturbing creatures.

“Cordial!” Snowblossom exclaims in shock. “What have you been doing to those innocent creatures!”

“What?!? No, no, you don’t understand!” Cordial explains hastily. “Those are creatures that have become tainted with chaotic fallout from the island’s explosion. I’ve had scouting parties capture them so that I might be able to find a way to cure them, to return them to normal.”

“Oh, I see.” Snowblossom says as she examines the various creatures through the bars. Sentient plants, wolves made of bark and wood, instead of flesh and fur, and many others. On one section of the wall separate from the others, a huge model of a pony village is set into the very wall itself. This hollowed out section of wall is isolated from the rest of the room, and not even the smallest breeze can be seen to flicker the tiny streetlights inside the model.

“What is this?” She asks Cordial, preparing to reach a hoof inside, to pick up one of the model carts.

“Ah, please don’t do that my dear,” Cordial says hurrying up to her, and gently pulling back her hoof. This isn’t a model. He explains. This is actually an entire village of Flutterponies, that was covered in chaotic fallout, and had been transformed.” As Snowblossom retracts her hoof, she can see tiny sets of faces peering out of the windows of various houses in the village.

“It’s alright,” Cordial says. “She’s a friend, she wont hurt anyone.” At this, several small figures begin to emerge, and as the two watch they cautiously return to their daily routine.

“Those are Breezies! Fluttershy says excitedly, from her seat next to Discord.

“That’s right my dear. One of my scouting parties discovered their town quite by accident. They were immediately taken to the castle, where I recreated their village. I had spent quite a lot of time and effort trying to restore them, but much like myself, they were resistant to long term chaotic change again. Eventually, when I had mastered inter-dimesonal travel, I found them a new home where they would be safe. And now they pass back and forth between the two worlds on their own.”

On the screen, Cordial guides Snowblossom to a large table in the center of the room.

“And this,” he says, “is my current project.”

The entirety of the table is covered in a series of beakers and tubes all interconnected. On the far left end, atop a pedestal a sealed beaker of swirling nebulous energy feeds down into the apparatus. On the far other end an empty beaker sits beneath a long tube. In between are various other beakers filled with unguessable liquids, some inert, some bubbling furiously. At junctions between beakers Cordial begins adjusting the flow of liquids with taps that are set into the flow. Slowly the dark nebulous, almost gaseous liquid begins its journey down the narrow glass tube.

“Cordial, what is in that first beaker?” Snowblossom asks, her voice tinged with dread.

“I can tell by your reaction that you already have some idea my dear. Yes, it is indeed pure chaos.”

“And what,” she says backing slowly away from the table, “are you doing with it?” she asks.

“I’m glad you asked.” Cordial replies, still looking at his apparatus. “Firstly, I am attempting to dilute it into a more manageable form. Secondly, I am attempting to find a way to transform it into it’s opposite, which would be order. And thirdly I hope that by doing so I may be able to use that transformed chaos to effect a cure for all the creatures that have been transformed by the fallout.”

“Amazing.” Snowblossom says. “But how did you find and trap raw chaos?”

“Oh that was the easy part my dear. The chaos that I am using is mine. The smallest, tiniest, amount of my own power.”

“I can feel the potential power radiating from the beaker.” Snowblossom says. “Is it really safe the way it is?”

“Well, it all depends on how you define the term ‘safe’. Cordial admits. “It is safe as long as it remains where it is, or inside my body. I can’t even image what would happen if the contents left this room. Chaos is almost like a living thing. Call it ‘potential in a bottle’. Right now the changes it effects are completely random and unpredictable. Just touching it could transform you into a hideous monster, or a butterfly, or a rock...”

“Or a God.” Snowblossom says, looking up at Cordial.

“Oh sweetheart, not this again.” Cordial says stroking her cheek. I am not a God, and even if I were, I’d gladly give it all up if I could go back to just being Cordial the alicorn.”

“Oh my darling, that is so easy for you to say.” Snowblossom replies with a sigh. “My family have been earth ponies, going back to the beginning. We can’t fly, or work magic, or do any of the things that all the other races take for granted. For some of us, it’s really hard to watch. You have no idea how much I wish that I could fly, or do magic, like you do.”

“Oh really? Is that all?” Cordial says stepping back from Snowblossom.

“Is that all!?!” Snowblossom begins, but then Cordial snaps his claw. Suddenly Snowblossom sprouts two angelic wings that match her mane, and a beautiful spiral horn sprouts from her forehead. Cordial then conjures a full floor length mirror before her.

“Better?” he asks.

“Cordial... is this... real?” She asks stunned at the sight of herself. She turns every which way furling and unfurling her wings.

“Yes of course it’s real my dear.” Cordial replies. “I haven’t yet mastered the ability to make the changes permanent, but for the next hour or so, consider yourself an alicorn.”

“Cordial, oh Cordial,” she cries, wrapping her hooves and wings around him. “Can we fly? Please I want to fly!” she begs.

“Your wish is my command,” Cordial responds cranking open two huge iron bound shutters to reveal a skylight set high above them. Cordial flies up and unfastens the locks and opens it to the sky above, then returns to Snowblossom and takes her front hooves in his claw and paw. “Are you ready?” he asks.

“Yes, Cordial, oh yes!” She says eagerly.

“Then flap your wings my dear, and allow me to guide you.” And with that Cordial rises slowly from the floor, holding tightly to Snowblossom’s hooves. Snow blossom flaps her new wings, slowly at first, and then more confidently, and then she slowly begins to rise off the floor.

“Cordial, this is amazing! I’m flying!” She says as the ascend toward the skylight.

“No way.” Rainbow Dash says from her seat, crossing her hooves in front of her. “There is no way that any pony who just got her wings can fly like that on her first try. It’s just not possible.”

“Rainbow is right Discord, she shouldn’t be able to do that. You were cheating weren’t you?” Fluttershy accuses.

Discord has the grace to blush. “Well I might have, sort of, been helping her with my magic, just a teensy bit,” Discord admits. “But it was for a good cause,” he says defensively.

“Showing off to your pony friend, uh huh, a good cause alright,” Twilight adds, as several ponies giggle.

“Oh and like you haven’t been using your magic to make using your new wings easier,” Discord retorts.

Several ponies look questioningly at Twilight, who wilts slightly, “well, maybe on occasion,” she admits.

Back on the viewer Cordial and Snowblossom have cleared the skylight, and they soar across the afternoon sky.

“Yes Cordial, yes! This is everything I ever imagined it would be! Lets go higher, I want to fly above the clouds!” And with that they quickly ascend, and before long they break though the clouds and gaze across a vast sea of white.

Snowblossom looks all around her, her eyes are rimmed with tears of joy. She does a mid air somersault, which turns into a dive, and then she soars straight up into the air, and executes a graceful back flip, finally returning to Cordial’s side.

Inside Discord’s sitting room both pegasi give Discord a scathing glare, as he shrugs his shoulders sheepishly.

“I never dreamed that I could ever be so happy.” Snowblossom says.

“Your happiness is my happiness my dear,” Cordial says gazing at the setting sun. He then turns to face Snowblossom, but she is gone.

“Where did she go?” Rainbow asks, “I just turned away for a second. I thought they were going to... you know...”

“You know WHAT?” Fluttershy asks dangerously.

“You know... kiss.” Rainbow says uncomfortably.

“Magic wore off?” Twilight asks nonchalantly.

“Yup.” Discord replies in the same tone.

On the viewer a panicked Cordial takes a brief moment to scan the clouds around him, before plunging straight down. Far below him he can make out the form of Snowblossom screaming as she hurtled toward the ground. Straining his tiny wings, Cordial accelerates toward her.

“You know, you could have just snapped your claw and teleported her back up to you.” Twilight says deadpan.

“It didn’t occur to me at the time,” Discord replies.

Faster and faster Cordial flies as he slowly begins to close the distance on the falling Snowblossom. She is facing upwards, seeing Cordial approach her, which keeps her from being aware of the ground quickly rushing up to meet her.

“Ya’ll could have conjured a lasso, and caught her that way,” Apple Jack adds.

“Don’t be ridiculous. The sudden stop would have snapped her neck. No would be ‘hero’ would ever try something as foolish as that.” Discord responds.

“Good point,” Apple Jack replies.

“Would you guys stop with the commentary? I want to see what happens,” Rainbow Dash says peevishly.

On the viewer Cordial manages to finally reach Snowblossom’s flailing hooves, grasping one in his claw, he decelerates the two as quickly as he can, stopping their descent several meters from the ground.

“Oh thank the Gods,” Cordial says as the settle to the ground. “All you all right Snowblossom? I am so sorry,” Cordial says, “tell me you’re alright.”

Snowblossom throws her hooves around Cordial’s neck. “Cordial that was amazing! Did you see how fast we were going toward the end?”

“Ah you mean toward the ground?” Cordial asks, somewhat taken aback by her reaction.

“Yes! What a rush! We simply must do it again! Please tell me we can do it again! Tomorrow perhaps?” she says excitedly.

“Um, ah, of course my dear, anything you say.” Cordial responds in worried tones.

“That pony is crazy,” Rainbow exclaims from her seat.

“Oh you have no idea.” Discord responds enigmatically. As he raises the remote and shifts the scene.

As the next month passes, at first everything seems idyllic for Cordial. He spent most of his free time with Snowblossom, who always insisted on him changing her into her alicorn form, even on the days they didn’t go flying. They did everything that couples in love do, the only stain on each evening was when Cordials magic wore off. Cordial had tried reapplying his magics, but they lasted only moments. He kept reassuring Snowblossom that he just needed more time to understand how to make the effects permanent. However there was a noticeable drop in her mood, every time she reverted to her earth pony form.

Then one afternoon, when Cordial came to pick her up, her manner had changed.

“No Cordial, I don’t want you to transform me today. I need to go into the city. Alone. Something has come up.” Snowblossom tells her paramour.

“As you say my dear, but is anything wrong? Are you sure you don’t want me to come with you?”

“No, nothing is wrong. I just received a letter from my brother. I had been writing him for some time now, and he has finally come to visit. He’s staying at an inn in town. I just wanted to go see him. It’s been many years since I got to spend time with my brother.”

“I understand,” Cordial replies. “It can be hard, to be separated from your family. Are you close?”

“Oh yes, very close. I have been looking forward to his arrival for some time now. It is difficult for him to travel. He has a... condition, that makes it hard on him.”

“I’m very sorry to hear that,” Cordial says, “is there anything I can do?”

“NO!” Snowblossom exclaims, then in a quieter tone, “no my dear, my brother is very sensitive about it, I’m sure you can understand.”

Cordial gently cups Snowblossom’s hoof in his claw. “Of course I do.” he says, giving her a quick kiss on her cheek. “Go and enjoy your reunion. And give your brother my best.”

“Of course my love. He’ll appreciate it I’m sure.” she says as she turns and departs.

Cordial leaves the servants quarters, and makes his way back to the throne room. He enters quietly so as not to disturb his sister who was in the process of going over reports sent in to her form the outlying provinces. He waits until she is between reports to approach her.

“Another busy day my sister?” Cordial asks.

“As always my brother.” She replies with a sigh. “It’s been over ten years, and Equestria has only begun to recover. Air currents, sea currents, everything has changed. Even the coastlines and islands. Food wont grow where it used to, and the weather has become erratic. Stores are running low in many lands, and I have spent the last several weeks redistributing food and supplies for the coming winter. It’s going to be quite harsh.”

“The world has changed so much sis.” Cordial says, settling in before her throne. “It’s been ten years for you, but less than one for me. One day, I was here and everything was normal, and the next it’s all changed.” Cordial says, lost in thought. “Have you had any word from Keil?” he asks suddenly.

“Ah, well, I have had letters dispatched to all the ports of call along his route. I’m sure that it’s only a matter of time before he responds. Since he left before your return, word will probably not reach him until they are homeward bound.” Harmony says evasively. “So tell me,” she says, changing the subject. “How are things with you and your little Snowblossom?”

Cordial blushes furiously. “Fine,” he responds, “things are fine.”

“Mmm hmm. And is she still found of playing ‘dress up’?” Harmony asks.

“It’s not ‘dress up’ sister.” Cordial replies. “Just because she enjoys being able to fly every now and then. What earth pony wouldn’t want to try it?”

“And you don’t think you are indulging her too much my brother? After all, we are as we are. Being an earth pony is nothing to be ashamed of. I wonder if her... fascination with what you two are doing, might not be unhealthy for her.”

“But what harm can it do sister?” Cordial replies moodily. “I’m just granting a pony’s wish as best I am able. Is that really such a bad thing?”

“I cannot say my brother.” Harmony replies honestly. Just please be careful. You already lost your body, I would hate for you to lose your heart as well.”

“Ah, I’m afraid it is too late for that sister.” Cordial says as he lifts from behind his back a small lidded box. He opens it and displays its contents to his sister.

“Cordial!” she exclaims. “By the Goddess, it’s beautiful!” Harmony carefully lifts a huge diamond and gold ring from the box in Cordial’s claw. Catching the light, it’s dazzling radiance casts small rainbows across the throne room.

“Do I have your blessing sister?” Cordial asks.

“Of course my brother. If you are sure that this is the right thing.”

“I’ve never been more sure of anything.” Cordial replies, a joyous smile spreading across his face.

“Mine is bigger.” Fluttershy says quietly, her hooves crossed across her chest.

“Yes my dear,” Discord replies. “And it’s much more beautiful than that one. Look at how tacky and gaudy my taste was back then.” He says gesturing at the screen. “I have developed a much better understanding of true beauty since then.”

“Well,” Fluttershy says hesitantly, “it’s still quite a lovely ring.”

“Who said I was referring to the ring?” Discord says, titling up her chin and kissing her softly.

“Eww,” Rainbow Dash interjects. “My eyes! It burns!”

“Oh stifle it!” Fluttershy says, leaning in for another kiss, which her husband gladly obliges.

An uncomfortable silence descends for the next few moments, as the other ponies in the room look everywhere but at the loving couple. Discord finally sits back upright, and squares his shoulders. Fluttershy grasps his claw in her hoof.

“This is going to be ‘it’ isn’t it?” She whispers to him.

He turns toward her, and gives a brief nod.

“I’m here for you.” she says. Discord’s only response, is to grip her hoof tighter as he forwards the remote and hits play.