• Published 6th May 2016
  • 4,173 Views, 66 Comments

The Siren's Remorse - TheronSniper



With the Dazzlings pendants shattered and their bodies fully human, they are left to life's machinations. However, a fellow banished soul might be the key to returning their former selves and taking revenge with a gout of flame.

  • ...
19
 66
 4,173

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 43 In Who You Trust?

Ch. 43 In Who You Trust?

Adagio knelt by Twilight as she sluggishly regained her ability to move besides the aching soreness of what just occured, Aria nearby did nothing but keep an eye on the two. Though she was alert to any pain Twilight exhibited and readied to act at any moment, it pained her to see the same girl she opened up to in such a pitiful state. While they hovered around their fallen podmate, Sonata soon joined in leaving Havoc and the others to themselves who soon dispersed seeing as things had gotten far beyond what was expected. She rushed over and knelled by Adagio looking over the human, using a spell with her gem to sense anything wrong. With a shortly held note of her voice, the scanning spell was caste and then revealed the sealed mana well bound by a powerful restrictive force even she couldn't pin point. The good note came in the form of no damage sustained by whatever happened to Sparkle, she was fine as a fiddle and if anything she was just at a loss for energy.

Yellow gave the girls the living room to sleep in after announcing the end of the meeting, his word appeared to be law as the rest simply left the condo for their own quarters. The four Dazzlings took to their accommodations without hesitation, as of that moment Twilight was their world and they needed to be by her till she recovered. Aria took the space that Twilight's body did not occupy as Sonata snuggled up to her best friend as the wide berth of the seat allowed for two bodies to share. Adagio had at first taken the other armrest to sit on with Twilight below her as she caressed lovingly the blue and violet locks, petting until she needed to sleep soon enough on the recliner she'd eyed at the start.

Unlike before, Twilight felt unsure of what to think of the interaction with the sirens and quaked in their proximity. She shivered a little as Sonata cuddled into her right arm and dozed off into sleep, she was back to who she was and that was a socially inept young adult. It all felt as if her very mind awoke from a dream and nothing felt right nor warranted. However, she was far too drained of energy to say or do much else other than lay in place and await sleep for its restful benefit in her surrounding comrades. In the meantime, all her memories came back to before she heard the sirens sing, but after that moment as if a dream that had just broken into a thousand pieces beyond repair. Had she really done what she did for the girls all for the sake of magic and knowledge? Had she forsaken common sense in dealing with Yellow's group and the dangers that came with? Was she really willing to throw her life away and the Everton independent study for such a wild field of science even though she'd witnessed it and used it herself? Had she actually let the magic get so tight of a hold of her that she'd harm fellow Crystal Prep students and staff?

Everything felt foreign and alien to her, as Twilight Sparkle the student at Crystal Prep she felt as if now was the telling point of her future. Amid the gaze and grasp of other worldly creatures who had vile reasons for doing what they did and the danger they posed to her world. Even if they were going to leave to their ancestral home to never come back, she made a promise to help them out of entranced compassion. Could her word be worth anything if it was forced? Was she really caring enough and so desperate for contact with another human being she'd toss out the hazard the girls posed to both worlds?

Questions that only one person or being could answer or help her find them, the one that she first invested her time into this strange and heralding adventure of sorts before the old sirens captivated her and the gems influenced every decision she made hence forward. Yellow Tail...

It would be an excruciating two hours before the excitement of the day inevitably took its toll on the magical singers. Especially Adagio who appeared to want to keep an open eye out on their hosts who were just doors away from them. Ever protective as a mother hawk to her hatchlings, the Matriarch kept watch for as long as she could, watching when the tenants of the condo went in and out of the bathroom before turning in for the night. Observing long past then for any signs of movement until her own eyes grew tired, the golden siren had to have been emotionally exhausted by the convention success and the surprises after that. Sparkle barely cracked her eye lids from time to time to see when the right moment would come, knowing which door Yellow went from her hearing alone. All that had to happen was for all three to fall asleep and maintain it for an hour to safely guarantee her passage of escape.

When the sign that the coast was clear arose, she examined the situation that tethered her to the sofa and how to avoid disturbing the sirens. Sonata had thankfully retracted her arms to herself and slept just to the edge of the seat, she could easily be navigated around if her movements were careful. Aria however had slept at an angle on the other side, her legs were resting upon Sparkles feet by sheer accident. While Adagio was likely only into partial sleep, she'd need to avoid making any noise on the furniture as well as stepping about. Cursing her luck, Twilight angled her arms onto the armrest and headrest while painstakingly slowly inching herself from under Blaze. She could hear her own heart beat as well as the ticking of a mechanical clock in the living room in the back right corner away from the balcony. Little by little, without twitching a digit, she extracted the right foot with success if not with a little sweat from anxiety. Freed from danger, she used it as leverage to even more steadily finish the task and to a sigh of relief Aria did not wake up nor move. Though she was snoring a little, Sparkle took her limbs and spidered her way off the seat missing narrowly Sonata as she shifted further into where she was once lying down. A couple joints popped naturally, to which she froze in an awkward position of almost standing up, her eyes racing to all three sirens hoping none heard it. Adagio however was the only one of true concern.

Studying the yellow cream skin around her eyes, the pastel orange eyebrows as still as a placid lake, and small supple lips for any quiver as an indication she'd registered the sounds. The matriarch had the seat pushed back with the foot rest out, her head lulled to the left side as her dozing and lacked any kind of activity which greatly relaxed the human girl as edgy as she was. For a few more seconds she waited, gaining no response or movement that she'd alerted them. Nerves still jumbled, she breathed in slowly and deeply to calm herself as she covertly tip toed along carpet towards Yellow's room. If her accurate memory served her right, she pinpointed the spot to the door on the first left right after the kitchen. She could not knock or tap however, no noise had to be made or lest she be found out and potential problems of relations could arise. Dismayed at the prospect of just opening the door and invading ones privacy, she considered any other alternatives even though none immediately came to mind. She just had to talk to him, a simple chat and life was making this anything but easy.

'What do I do? Do I just wait here and hope he gets up to use the bathroom? Do I just sneak in and hope he won't be offended or... properly dressed for that matter? Maybe this isn't the right room? What if he can't help me? Ohhh... Twilight what have you gotten yourself into! What about spike! I just remembered Cadence had him... do I go get him? Or do I leave him here? My real and only best friend I've had that didn't sway me with magic or charms... I've spent so little playing with him since this all started.' Sparkle thought as she failed to notice the door opening before her, the locking mechanism clicking and the hinges slightly groaning.

"What do I do?" she whispered in defeat before a hand gently laid upon her shoulder.

The sudden contact sent her hooping up and hands clasping over her own mouth to stifle the yelp. She thankfully did both in unison and kept the quiet stillness of the home, no one the wiser.

Yellow Tail stood still dressed as he was before he retired for the night, a finger held to his lips indicating to her to keep silent before opening his room to her to step in. He knew why she was there she assumed, why would anyone stand at someone's door and not need anything?

Candles were lit in the background, no bed to be seen as the entire bedroom was actually a converted alchemistry lab and one which dwarfed her little setting at Crystal Prep. There was so much to see and inspect, with eyes wide in wonderment and glazed over in pure bliss of technology that she'd soon be using in the other world. Just as in the book about magic and the other in application to technology, there were several tables and many shelves all of which appeared to have been in the process of packing up or destroying. Though there was enough to still give Twilight a glimpse into what it was in its full glory. Ceramic and glass containers, jars, and vessels all used for storing ingredients and potions, as well as for mixing and gathering what a few plastic mesh sifters had dumped in that sat stacked on the floor. A bunsen burner area appeared halfway deconstructed, but signs of an air vent were evident with the hood evidently missing save for a pipe leading through the ceiling on the back wall carefully edited into the building itself by hand as it seemed. Some dust of old materials spotted the wood tiled floor, finger prints to whatever Yellow Tail mixed up in the lab no doubt like carbon soot in her own research room after she finished producing new chemicals and agents for any given project at the time. A little to the right was a distiller and a concentrator for refining watered down liquids stood disarmed of its firing mechanism, but the copper pot and wire were all shining magnificently as if it were new. Propane tanks heavily used sat nearby with the hoses removed to the torches, some looked to be far beyond their time and Sparkle hoped Yellow knew they had lifespans on them. Though all in all, a briefcase sat open not a few feet away from her with a few cloths packed in and some books she'd yet read. Stacks of notes and paper folders were neatly placed and awaiting storage into another luggage case nearby. In her stupor she failed to notice Yellow giggle a bit at her gawking.

"I take it you came here to chat? Or was it to ogle at my laboratory?" he said in a low voice with a little jester like prod.

Twilight blinked and sported a little blush before recollecting herself, "I... I just had something to talk to you about regarding my... um... friendship with the Dazzlings?" she hesitated at first twiddling her fingers anxiously, "Your the only one I talked to before I heard them sing, and well... I guess those old spirits possibly put a spell on me... and there was that moment I sang together with them that one night which most likely rooted themselves into the magic if anything. I'm still grasping the understanding of it actually." she sheepishly grinned before losing to a saddened frown.

"Your problems are mine as well, please let us talk and see if I can be of any help? Take a seat." he lost his mirth to humbleness at the girl's dower mood, gesturing to the stools and office chairs about all waiting for use.

The two seated before the shelves and the floor of containers and jars where scents mingled from their previous and current contents, fragrant herbs to bitter chemicals and more were noticeable. Yellow plopping harshly into the cushioned black roller chair he chose. Taking a deep breath, he awaited for the girl to grab a stool and carrying it over, which allowed him to glance around what was once a busy brewery of potions and spell crafting. Much of the product ready to be taken over, items he knew he'd need right off the bat as there was no telling if things were too far gone of his homeworld. Surprisingly enough, the human world hosted plenty of exotic materials both synthetic and genuine that served their uses and they barely cost him much. Those things he couldn't find in town or a nursery that had no capacity to grow certain herbs and plants he used the human's electronic world carefully. Considering the lab was only a month old, having been moved about constantly from home to home over the years. It was in a decent shape before being taken down for the last time.

Twilight finally took her seat and looked around at the lab with him, if there was anything true in the world it was her love of science and things that could be measured for understanding. Creating from the mystical energy to benefit man had been her driving force that the siren influence rode on the coattails of, the whole reason she came to join the other worldly creature in human skin. She could almost remember it as if it occurred just days ago.

****************************

Crystal Prep Academy

Twilight had just finished eating her lunch from the cafeteria and was about to return to the lab. She had a few new books the library received on the latest EM drive being tested for space exploration. They were more of the scientific journals types than textbooks, but they covered the peer review that the technology had passed thankfully for her own interests. The wonderment of the engine was when she crossed paths with Principle Cinch who had someone alongside her as she ranted about where his donations had gone to in the sparsely occupied quiet halls. She should have easily escaped any attention, but it appeared that was not the case, as they mentioned her laboratory and spoke her name clearly.

"And there is our star pupil. Sir Tail? I present to you, the crowning academic achievement that your generous funds have allowed to sprout. Twilight Sparkle if you would my dear please come over?" she ordered more than asked, Sparkle held off a frown out of fearful respect of the Principle and did as told.

She waved nervously as she approached and noticed the classy or well dressed person she was being introduced to. Oddly enough she'd come to find out why he was so presentable since his job was of being the museum staffing, she actually missed the clues due to being socially awkward when forced into talking. Maize hued skin which reminded her of autumn and the dead leaves that fell from the trees as their biology dictated to the season. Swept back hair of carmine and cardinal reds so much like heat of fire from a gas kiln she observed during a ceramics class she attended. It was a necessary use of her time as she wanted to learn to craft unique ceramic clay bodies for use in nuclear waste storage and lining the outsides of oil pipelines to prevent leaks into the environment. His eyes were nearly a silver kind of gray, but they were mainly mute unless the light hit the just right to give them a translucent appearance.

"So fate allows us to meet at last? Mrs. Sparkle is it? I hope my bits have allowed you to win even more of those awards at the expos and get your name out there? You'd bring Equestria greatness in its already climbing status as a tourist destination, supplier of the finest horses, and the best orchards and vineyards around. Adding academic excellence, why... you might just bring the President out here?" he laughed as Cinch agreed with him in nods, "Well I bet you might have wondered where the school gained access to all that equipment you've asked for? You're looking at the one responsible. My name is Yellow Tail. Pleased to meet you." he extended a hand out for her to grab, though she was very shy it only took Cinch's dominant glare to force action.

"Hhhh...hi?" she replied.

Not in the least taken aback, "I know a smart one when I see it and one who doesn't have their head too far in the clouds. I do hope your nurturing this one Mrs. Cinch, they can be very vulnerable at this age." he looked back with a smile though his eyes told something else that made the older woman look anywhere but at him.

"I can promise you! Here at Crystal Prep we respond to any and all bullying with fervor! Why I have selected a dedicated student Overwatch to see to it that if a student is being singled out that they are protected and the troublemakers are dealt with by the school's psychiatrist. Mrs. Sparkle here just has a... tendency to stay in her lab room working throughout the day so she has minimal contact with others, and I'm not one to break her from her important projects that let her speak to those who matter in the big world." she smiled nervously standing at attention as best as she could even though a bead of sweat was beginning to form on her neck.

With a stern nod, "Good, that is very good to hear. Well if its all right with you I'd like to see the lab she's set up, I'm sure she's a bright student and very meticulous in her practice of safety. You do provide a safety officer to her private set up correct?" he let go of the teenagers hand and asked as he stood up straight to adjust his suit.

"Yes of course, the same person who inspects the chemistry labs on the second floor and all our fuel lines to the art department as well. Feel free to see for yourself, Keen Watch has an impeccable record in his line of work as we hire only the best!" Cinch tried to sound proud if she were not afraid of Yellow's inspecting gaze.

"Good, Mrs. Sparkle I hope I wouldn't be intruding, I myself am a historian and I know a little dabbling into science to know of certain things and why great inventions of the past were possible. Could I perhaps see your setup?" he looked back to the girl looking as innocent as Spike when he was hungry.

Twilight tilted her head and wondered what was happening that would detract from her routine she had planned since yesterday. However, finding out that the man in question had been a donor to the academy, with Cinch right by them she couldn't say no. Thus, she nodded and gave her agreement, leading the way and leaving Cinch behind who appeared visibly relieved to see the man leave her space. For Sparkle, she assumed that there were few that the normally composed and proper lady such as herself would bend away from, and those were the sources of income beyond standard funding. It was a sight to see, though a little ominous for herself as now the puck had been passed and she was the one who had to please the donor to avoid losing the fuel for her projects.

Upon arrival she unlocked the door and left it open, inviting the new stranger in to look over everything from her workbench, to the chemistry area, storage shelf locked tightly as it contained dangerous and toxic chemicals, and to the corner of the room where a filing cabinet stood next to a computer desk. A cork board nailed to the wall held all current and coming events she had projects ready for to exhibit, with a few pictures of her family and dog. She felt nervous about letting anyone but Dean Cadence in the room for safety reasons, she just hoped he wasn't someone grabby and picked up what should not be touched. Twilight mentally thanked herself for leave spike at home today, it was by sheer luck she had too much to do to have him wondering about the lab as hyper as he could be.

"I'm happy to see you were worth the investment of bits, I have a grant to drop onto a worthy student and I was looking at you specifically where others failed to capitalize on. Would you be interested?" he asked out of the blue looking around keeping to the spot he stood.

"A grant?" she asked, leading her mind to instantly consider the wider range of tech that would allow her to work on genetic research and among other things she'd only fathomed up till now.

"I actually have a new scientific field for you to study and I've been looking for the best of the best to undertake it. There have been plenty who've we allowed to inspect it, however... they've proven themselves to be insufficient in a creative approach to application. I have an example here in this box." he extracted a black metal square with gold lining the lips and the twist lock that he pulled out from an inner pocket of the suit, "Go ahead and see for yourself."

She was hesitant to receive anything from a stranger, common sense told her to avoid the thing entirely. When he used the plural 'we', it made Twilight consider if this was a secret government project seeking new minds out. Or perhaps this was a firm in need of a fresh perspective, from the research groups she'd read on they were formed sometimes through such means. Complete and utter surprise to the highschool students, college undergraduates, graduates, or your run of the mill basement scientists who was self taught and ran their own at home labs creating something no one else thought of yet. Of course curiosity got the better of her as she reluctantly opened the parcel on the workbench he put it on, within it shone a gemstone that put even the most prismatic Opal to shame. That and the strange glow of light emanating from its shiny surface begging to be touched. She was left speechless as well as confused, there was a warmth coming from the mineral itself which shouldn't even be realistically possible much less the illumination. If it was radioactive it shouldn't even glow, that was the jargon of comic books of the cold war times. Her mind rationalized the show as a spectacle to make the stone appear more than it was, she did not like being toyed with if it were true.

"Do you know what that is?" he asked gingerly smiling to himself as he watched.

Unable to speak as she stared into the shoals of multiple colors swimming inside like sardines of rainbow hues, the core was somehow alive even though it had a solid surface. Nothing she'd ever studied into minerals and rocks ever eluded to such a possibility thus it had to be something else yet what? Perhaps there were iron specks inside, following a spinning magnet underneath coaxing the little show?

He laughed a little, "That my dear... is what is called a capacitor gem. The energies within it that you see are something familiar to what you'd call a Philosopher's Stone, that pulsing heat you feel is the fuel to make anything happen until it is used up like a battery."

Twilight snapped to from her dumbfoundedness, "A Philosophers Stone!!? But that's just a myth, no way it actually exists in the psuedo-science of alchemy! I know I looked into it it on my first term here at C.P.! But... this..." she feels her heart in her throat as her fingers neared the gem getting closer to feeling it for herself.

Yellow grabbed it before her and brought it to her eye level, "Here... let me show you what I mean. You see that glass jar over there? Once you apply the right sigils either in your mind or physically on something solid... aaaannnnnd..." he used his other hand to wave over the stone and swung it to the glass container.

It shook at first before swirling about in place as if it were made of smoke or water, the form changed properties from silica, lime, and soda into a little ball of orange, specifically the citrus fruit itself. The bumpy smooth skin gleamed a little in the light of the afternoon sun filtering into the room, it was such an instantaneous process that she couldn't even begin to see it as a true change from inorganic to organic. Rather abruptly after the transformation finished, she grabbed the item even though it was still very warm from the alteration and inspected it thoroughly. Her eyes scanned every pit and poles from where it connected to the tree and where the flower had been, her nose inhaled the tangy sweet scent, her tongue briefly tasted the zesty skin, and her knuckles tapped the surface with a dull giving thud as the flesh dunted. Her mind told her it was just a glass structure before, but sensations made it clear it was no longer that in its atomic structure.

She looked up at him in a little hint of fury that her world had just shattered of what she knew was fake science and true, going back and forth from him and the sweet fruit as if asking him to cease whatever illusion was messing with her mind. Yet all he did was laugh and pat his chest before setting the gem back into its container, ignoring the hot glare she was giving him in her silence revolt.

"As I said, I have a new field in need of study and your the only one I've seen with the utmost care in spending funds to get the job done rather than waste it. Your driving force to understand and see the world for as it is not believed to be by the masses, your not blinded by concepts of humanity but of knowledge and wisdom only the educated follow. I have so much to offer, but I need you to agree to the position and allow yourself to benefit from this new energy. Think of it Mrs. Sparkle?! Think of all the things you could change for the better?! There is so much more then just this transconfiguration, sciences in the making that are still bound by restrictions and material resources you could solve and bring this world into a golden age for the safety and benefit of all!" he packed away the box and spoke to her with confidence.

She lost her anger and wondered his exact words, knowing she could study and break down the process of which changed the object. To affirm everything to true facts that could be repeated in a variety of other scenarios. If it was really true that what he had yet to show her and more, what person of science wouldn't leap at the opportunity to even just dispel the trickery if it unfortunately was? Then again, the world would be her banquet of projects to undertake and create! They might even be able to go to the stars beyond the moon, colonize and explore what new lay beyond with what this new energy could in theory do as her thoughts already went to work on how to utilize it.

Twilight rushed her thinking, the uncertainty of this man supplying her with bits, then giving such a gift just out of the blue. Of course his story still needed to check out, but if Principle Cinch accepted him she had to have put his record through the grinder for any dangerous flags. One thing that she was happy about having such a Principle, was her intense adherence to the rules and regulations for the safety of the school's record and her reputation first and foremost.

Shaking her head to resolve and dispell lingering reservations, this was a chance of a lifetime to work with a Philosophers Stone just to start with, "I... will take you up on your offer Mr. Tail!" she smiled widely and gave a hand out to shake his.

If words could speak louder than than actions, she would never have known what a world she'd just thrown herself into. The people she'd meet, the choices that were beyond her true consent, and near life threatening dangers to come. Though at the moment, as the two giggled in mirth, none of the future consequences were even anything to think of. Not now with magic right at her finger tips.

***********************

Yellow's Room

The little trip down memory lane waded heavily on Twilight, as if she had Adagio in her arms again as she carried her out of the Sushi restaurant by herself. It was that very same person she needed to speak of, hoping against all odds that whatever transpired in this heart to heart that the end would still be happy for all. How uncertain she was of this, her stomach even felt a little nauseous.

"Sir, I... its about the Dazzlings." he could taste the despair in each word as if they were laced in toxin.

"What about them?" he replied simply.

Biting her lower lip, "I'm not sure. I want... now that is, I want to still learn magic and use it, and still push for a better future. The Dazzlings however, I'm... conflicted as to what I feel about helping them. Even though I know more about their history that is." her shoulder slouched a little.

Yellow leaned on his thighs with his elbows and clasped his hands together knowing where she was going with the conversation, "Your afraid to help them aren't you? The damage they seek to deal to Equestria? That to attain the art of magic, if it's worth cavorting along with such dangerous and powerful beings such as them?" he said hitting the nail with a sledgehammer.

"How... how did you know?" the surprise in his guess jarred her.

The candles of the room flickered their soft warm light about them, creating an easy atmosphere to blunted the edge of what bothered the young woman, "My little gem, you are an open book as books of wisdom are to you. You are far too innocent for your own good and I think its apparent." he answered.

"What do I do then? I have to know everything there is about magic, but I don't want to be the cause of Equestria's fall! I may not know much about it, even if they are as bad as my species when it comes to the environment... they don't deserve slavery... no like what the sirens have planned. I do know they don't deserve having the one thing that keeps them alive taken away. Why can't they just handle the carelessness of the ponies like any civil people could? Bring it up to the royal court and get reparations for their loss or something?!" she started to sound desperate.

Yellow hesitated for a moment before bringing himself back up to upright posture, "Loss of life is something that can distort and ruin critical thinking Mrs. Sparkle. I'm all too aware of that myself as you are too to a certain degree. That and the ponies have their own sense of justice and self entitlement as far as I remember."

"I'm not sure I understand?" she cocks an eyebrow in question.

He sighs and rolls his head to pop a few vertebrae letting a few strands of the crimson hair drape over his forehead, "Death by any means is painful not just for the ones enduring it, but for those watching it. Death can mean mortal lives, friendships, or even work as it falls apart to square one. Many cannot handle the results, and if I understand Adagio has much to pay back for what was done to her and you of all people should know in your world what happens to the civilians and what does not to the big wigs that cause the trouble. Bits thrown here, an unfortunate worker thrown under the bus all to save the hide of the company or dealers to continue on. Perhaps though not as dramatic in Equis mind you, but things are different over there. You must understand if a non-pony comes to the crown with a problem the ponies caused especially if a noble has investment in it."

"It's not easy to do that sir!" she protested.

"I expected you not to, your an outsider like we are to this world of humans. It is sad you were a victim in all this, but you've gained insight that might not have happened if you were ill prepared to accept going forward. Now that you do, can you influence the way they operate as the spell was onto you? Perhaps instead of fearing that Adagio will destroy a way of life to sate her revenge, you are close enough to them that you can mitigate that hatred she possesses and let it be guided into something less than the satisfaction of conquering? Remember, they are driven to do so because of that Ley Line they crossed through before it likely disappeared, she has the drive to become powerful and her hatred is the pilot of that confidence. You are a smart girl are you not?! You may not be a people person, Tartarus below, your far from handling social problems that are no equations or spell matrices. The point is, you are needed to stop a great evil from happening, and thus far you've put so much into this venture it would be hard to see you give it all up to regret and fear." he rose from his seat and walked over to the suitcase that was in the process of being packed and began going through it.

"I was once in your position myself... you know." he looked over his shoulder for a second before going back to finding whatever it was as he searching for, "When the Arcana assaulted my lab in Equestria, they caused the greatest change to happen to me and I melded with the Wyvern I told you about at supper. A rather bitter old gal, but we get along very well even if she tends to... cut into things at times. When the spell ended, I was not seen as a pony anymore nor an Arcana mage who suffered an irreversible incident... no! I was the monster they made me out to be even though I did not harm a single pony or other afterwards when I was normal. They labeled me a heretic to harmony by making monsters that would spread and devastate the homeland. I of course had nowhere to go, but the only place that I made contacts with and they were far away." he paused and suddenly found what was hidden.

Twilight had been watching him, looking for the object he busied himself over and saw what it was as he turned back to show her. It was a trinket suspended in a gold chain necklace, holding the tether in one hand and cradling the flat smooth pocket watch like item. He gave it to her as a piece of his past to likely show proof of what was being told to her. She cupped her hands as he laid the precious metal down onto her palms, gently letting the chain collapse onto her fingers.

"Mustok... The only other homeland of ponies dominated and ruled by ponies in conjunction with other species like the moose, the bears, and others of that north snowy region near the spine back mountain range. It is similar to your Russia, only they overcame the strife which made your equivalent into what it is now. A land across a vast ocean teaming with hungry predators away from Equestria's shores. I was once there years before, helped speed a cure for a flu running amok among the foals and cubs when I arrived. Surprisingly enough I only went there looking for new animals to study for my goal to stem the danger of the demons by crafting resistant creatures that could not be fed upon. Creatures that were similar to the Avatars of negative emotions, I was but one of many who worked on the cure but the only outsider to offer help when Equestria did not answer the call for aid. I was seen as Equestria's ambassador who finally arrived in the nick of time, I just went with it to avoid causing an international disaster. I thought they were my true friends too, after the cure was found and began to heal the wounds the illness inflicted upon the citizens. Funny how the Arcana can spoil that too." he sat down with a heavy sigh and began to wring his wrists gently.

Twilight's eyes went over every expertly engraved symbol and patterns surrounding the equine head which dominated the solid gold icon. With inlaid turquoise eyes and a few colorful gemstones no bigger than a crumb of bread neatly organized into an octagon surrounding the center at the very ridge of the edges, "What happened?" she asked as her thumb went over the texture.

"They almost killed me out of fear which I understood... I mean I had the body of a Wyvern at that time who could speak eloquently. I told my story and gave them that very trinket which the Czar himself gifted to me for reward for the cure, there are none like it. I was taken in eventually since it was never heard of that Wyverns could speak nor act so tame. In my return to Mustok, I was told by the Czar that I'd be safe from the Arcana within their iron walls, they'd even aid me in continuing my research as you can imagine not having hooves or stable magic to handle equipment does for working. I explained what I had been doing and why I was now a the creature which towered over them, hesitant to believe me but I made my case. They trusted me to an extent, we had two months before I was tracked down and I had just begun to meld creatures into new hybrids, when... they came. The Czar met the mages and Arch Wizard, claimed I was not here as best as he could fib, they didn't take the bait however." Yellow brought a hand to his face and slid it down from the forehead to his mouth.

"They were threatened with embargo since Mustok has such long winters and tundra, there is little to farm themselves. They instead subsisted off the ores of the mountains to sell for food, you can imagine what happened after that." he looked at the girl as she put her hands and the treasure onto her lap to give her full attention.

"They told on you because they had no other choice?" she answered knowing it was true.

"He stalled for time before the nobles of the court begged him to speak out, and that he did for the sake of his citizens. I lost my only sanctuary and all the work I had done thus far. What test subjects were ready for release I let them free to go with the help of a few unicorns who could open up portals to better areas of the Mustok territory, my assistants burned the rest of our labors before I took off and drew the Arcana away. Though what hurt me the worst were the circle of Mustok mages I befriended, I knew they were only acting for the greater good... they led the tracking party using a couple scales they took from me without my knowledge. Through the blizzard at the time, they happily helped send me to this world as I saw their true colors and disdain for my appearence as a hybrid. Trust my little gem is fragile, but it is also circumstantial." His tone was heavy, creeping into the level of of grieving, "Your predicament is unique but no much a lie than you think it is. The sirens were unaware of what the spirits did to you or their own songs, they really did believe you were there on your own behalf of your own... volition. They are not to fault for how you feel right now."

Sparkle still felt uneasy, yet she had a new perspective from the third party looking at her situation. If she felt hurt about being coined to others benefit by no will of her own, Yellow seemed to have had actual allies turn against him and with eagerness showing its ugly head. If they were in danger of being punished by the Arcana, they went the full way through even after accepting him as an outsider and in his new form. The sirens really did not know what their music did to her, and in the bigger picture what really was wrong when she broke it all down. Sure she could have been hospitalized in Adagio's case, and all in all she did set out to do what was needed of her. Maybe she was overreacting to the whole spell thing? After all, Adagio seemed true to her heart about taking her in. She'd also have Aria and likely Sonata's help in calming Dazzle's plan for Equestria, if she guessed right then other sirens would come out of the dark to stand up to her. Perhaps with a talk or two, she be able to help the siren matriarch deal with the issues she had?

"Look at it from another view Mrs. Sparkle. I'm aware that they are a danger to both worlds, but have you perhaps noticed a collective thought among them? Is it just Adagio who wishes to subdue the ponies? Do the other two not want to follow her path of destruction and revenge?" he asked as his facial expression appeared to droop.

He seemed to be a step ahead of her in bringing out what she knew, "Yes, Aria was the one who hoped I'd keep Dazzle from going overboard. Sonata? Well she's just along for the ride, but I can tell she doesn't want to hurt anyone or control them. She's just trying to live and survive from what I can guess, and Adagio is that source of safety she's willing to follow." she removed her glasses to rub her eyes and groaned at her own lack of intuitiveness.

Yellow took the reaction as a positive sign, she was after all just a young human juvenile still grasping mistakes and intent. Though having to bring up a tender piece of the past certainly was not in the plans. However, it did drive everything home to calm the girl down and really understand the situation they all were in, she may have been played like a puppet but there was no real puppet master.

Twilight sniffled as everything began to fall into place and she felt the part of her which had been helpless, a little amorphous chunk that was magically subdued and suffered beyond her perception, "I... I just want... wanted to help! But I realize now I have no reason to feel bitter about it, it was... wasn't their doing. And I hate that I still feel attached to them still, they opened up to me and treated me so well. I've never gotten that kind of treatment from anyone other than family or Cadence... the way the sirens cared for me was just as good as they had been. I just still... still feel so used you know? I acted with a new sense of confidence and it wasn't even mine to begin with!"

There came the root of what drove the doubt, and it just had to be severed by the root. With the might of repression, Yellow bottled up his plight and affixed himself to help the girl. So he rose from his seat with a coldness in his heart and followed through what he'd seen the humans do so often, recalling the tales that Pandius spoke of in love and friendship. Things that assuaged the gripping negativity in ones heart, in one swoop of an action the emotions were swayed away much like a bash to the head denied sensation to injuries in the extremities. The faux human took two steps forward and embraced Twilight, gently and soft as if holding a hens egg with a stone golems hands. He patted her back and she cried away what felt like the desolation of her spirit finally being realized. How it must have felt to be empowered and only to realize it would not come back again unless she herself developed it from scratch. The doubts of helping the sirens that accumulated over time being exorcised so suddenly. Such a fragile mind she possessed, though for someone like her it was not entirely inexcusable. When Yellow recruited her initially she definitely showed a reclusive behavior, which meant she lacked inner development, latching onto sources of security such as her pet and family if not wisdom in its lonely comfort. This had been a learning experience she’d not soon forget, to always think clearly before appointing blame and letting fear get the better of her. He wondered how she’d do in Equestria?

Unbeknown to the two, as the tender moment came to pass a lone magenta eye stared through the crack in the door to the room. Disappearing swiftly before the hug parted, leaving no sound to give away their presence as the entrance silently shut closed. Twilight would clear herself up of all that was bottled in, all the warning signs she tried to tell herself, the denies she likely would have given, and the abrupt quitting of the mission to Yellow that were as if trains took off from the station but never arrived at their destination. Yellow used a small clean cloth from his pants pocket to give to her, the sorrow wiped away as she regained composure. A wordless sign of gratitude was given to him before she let herself out, he still had to finish cleaning the room out and Twilight was indeed feeling exhausted. Giving a wave to excuse herself, she journeyed back to the couch and found nothing out of place.

Sonata had taken much of where she'd sleep, but it was not an issue for her. After all, the cerulean siren was the most accepting and friendliest one of the bunch, after all she'd been through herself there was little issue to let the ancient singer snuggle up to her. She kind of needed it anyways, she desperately needed to feel among those close to her. Expertly, Sparkle worked her way in, lifting a couple limbs up to fit back under, the warmth of the nearby body was nicely comparable to a cozy blanket. It all felt right with the world as she found a good enough position to let sleep take her. The barely noticable air conditioning flowing cool air into the condo, no noise of traffic being so far up, an excellent place to find rest.

As her eyes closed to begin the process of attaining REM, Twilight was surprised to feel Sonata latch onto her even more than normal and nuzzle her face into the crook of her neck. Throwing her off even more was Aria groaning in her sleep before twisting in her spot on the other arm rest, worming her way on top of Sparkle to use her stomach as a pillow. Thankfully, the girls had removed their hair accessories, otherwise she might have felt the sharp points of the irate vocalists ponytail wraps. Oddly enough Aria mumbled something about troublesome dweebs and ugly lich before falling silent, adding even more body heat to the dog pile of sleeping Dazzlings.

Sparkle blushed at the intimate spacing that put her into the very awkward position, her heart racing like a rat trying to break out of an enclosure. She tried to keep her breathing slow and methodical, lest she wake the two and not get any sleep then. Of course it would take a good twenty minutes to acclimate to her predicament before accepting it considering it was the safest spot to sleep among other magical beings she did not personally know. Spike came to mind when she thought about it, he'd have to come with her as it was only right to do so. That loyal puppy brought her just as much comfort if not more, it was not an option to just dump him into Cadence's lap and hope to see him again if she could use portals like her magic had done prior. His little barks and eagerness to play, she remembered the lessons given to him to make the pooch quiet enough to go to school in secret. He'd be the perfect little assistant on the other side there was no doubt about it.

Thus, Sparkle finally dozed off into dreamland with Aria and Sonata cuddling her, and her canine friend gracing her drifting off with pleasant feelings.

Author's Note:

I started doing a little comic on Sonata's beginning mentioned in the story, an illustrative look into the siren kind beyond what the show depicts them as. Check it out the other pages I'm slowly putting up. http://feroxultrus.deviantart.com/art/MLP-FIM-Sonata-Dusk-s-Beginnings-646808070

PreviousChapters Next