• Published 6th May 2016
  • 4,173 Views, 66 Comments

The Siren's Remorse - TheronSniper



With the Dazzlings pendants shattered and their bodies fully human, they are left to life's machinations. However, a fellow banished soul might be the key to returning their former selves and taking revenge with a gout of flame.

  • ...
19
 66
 4,173

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 18 Not Alone

Ch. 18 Not Alone

“Alright, you’ll let us know when Yellow needs us, but be quick about it. We need to get this on with and get back home pronto!” Adagio commanded as she fixed her hair in front of the foggy bathroom mirror from the hot showers earlier.

Twilight had just finished dressing up and patted away the creases in her skirt. With her hair in a bundle, she was set to be early at Crystal Prep if she caught the next bus

“Understood, I’ll text you when I see him again. I’m sure it’ll be very soon though, so be ready at a moment’s notice.” She smiled to herself as her uniform finally looked presentable.

Aria had been working on her hair in the bedroom, trying to force the star shaped hair bands to harness her usual twin ponytails. Her attention was that of a bored child going through the drums of life that long lost their fun and amusement before school. She didn’t pay Twilight any attention and seemed to be put off by her and Sonata’s new friendship. Her standoffish mood was not a pressing issue, as the past few days among the Dazzlings had painted their personality.

Sonata herself was quite the opposite with an unusual burst of life in every step. Her hands worked her ponytail hairstyle as she hummed a few tunes. The juvenile vocalist even skipped to the restroom earlier ago to shower, then sang as she performed her dental hygiene as funny as it sounded. It seemed that their talk last night had opened up an even more energetic side of her, Twilight may have even been the only other soul who had heard her story. Adagio of the three had been the only one annoyed by the giddy siren, to what Twilight guessed was the stolen sleep from last night. She was mostly set to go and simply waited for her pod mates as she massaged her temples.

Twilight could see the minor distraught in the leader of the trio and how Aria seemed to gain pleasure from it. Some kind of tension that either made the group or led it on its many failures in the past simmered below the group consciousness. As much as she desired to stay and get a little one on one with the other sirens. Yellow was clear about reporting each new development and not throwing out her own schedule which could draw attention. He would pass or deny what she was able to do, using the threat of removing the manuscripts before she even read through one. As frustrating as it was, she would not let herself get ahead of the situation. The other consequence was drawing Principle Cinch's judging glare and losing the lab room she was given.

“You know, it’s going to be so cool to know who Yellow really is once he trusts us enough. Right? All that magic and stuff, he must be some kind of powerful unicorn or maybe...” Sonata babbled in a chipper tone while taking a seat on her bed.

Nodding as she fluffed one last section of her bouncy orange curls , “Yes, I’m very interested to understand this whole magical apocalypse he’s preparing for. I’m also keen to know more on his little band of miscreants… without some lost souls trying to overtake us of course.” Adagio growled at the last words as she sauntered out to her bed and grabbed her belted boots.

Their earlier shopping had worked out for them with the line of clothing to draw in more crowds, her understanding of fashion was tested with the responses they received. Humans seemed to be enticed by the proper attire, twice fold for performers of any genre of music. When she could, she used the internet accessible computers in the lobby to look up ways to enhance their shows. What she was able to come up with in her research produced the strange science of charming, which oddly seemed eerily similar to how sirens found a mate. Females sang the best they could to show off their key ability as well as extend their fins outward so the translucent membranes shimmered with mesmerizing iridescence. Unlike ponies, the apes of this world were already bewitched by their natural good looks and style, thus it was like netting a shoal of fish.

“Whatever it is, I don’t care. We’ll do our part and be on our way. That lunatic has some screws loose for sure. I mean really, Ley Lines? Demons?!.” Aria scoffed as she completed the hair ties and plopped herself next to Sonata.

Adagio just shook her head at the touchy attitude, “Yes I’ll admit, he’s frivolous with that story at best. Demons and all that, it’s got some pizzazz. Regardless, we have our magic and we can be who we’re meant to be. We’ll fulfill his little dream and go on our merry little way. The grand stage awaits us back in Equestria that nothing here will ever compare to.”

“But what if he’s telling the truth?” Sonata asked as she genuinely showed care for their future.

“Don’t you care about your home? You seem to want to leave this place as soon as possible.” Twilight joined as she equipped her heavy backpack that nearly tipped her over onto the floor face first.

Adagio rolled her eyes and sighed while she tightened the straps on her lavender footwear, “We’re sirens Twilight, we are meant to sing and captivate the throngs of listeners. There is nothing we can do about some broken deal with demons even if it was true. Besides, we’ll become more powerful than any mage or demon that Equestria has ever seen! Though... what he meant by getting back our own pendants when we return is still a cause for worry.” She let her eyes drift to the window outside.

“You think these won't make it through the way back?” Aria held her own stone close to her chest as if it were to shatter into dust.

Dazzle remained still and distant before something in her eyes snapped back to reality, “All questions which we’ll get answers soon enough, right now I want us to focus on performing better than ever! Before we leave we have a little unfinished business to take care of and practice will ensure we'll leave here victorious. Now, I believe we're have an agenda to keep.”

She nodded to everyone and sat up as a signal to get ready to leave. In the process of grabbing their bits pouches, Sonata leapt from the soft bedding and twirled around as she aimed to the living room. Accidentally hitting Twilight as she tried to speak, leaving her spitting out the long strands of fruit scented hair.

“It’ll be awesome to get revenge on those losers! We’ll sap all their willpower out of them and make them eternally love us like a changeling adores their queen.” Blaze almost giggled in the sheer sadistic joy she envisioned as she passed by Sparkle who pulled one long piece of azure from her mouth
.

“Once we’re done, we might even bring them along as stage hands and servants. Heaven knows Sonata will need a few friends to keep her entertained.” Adagio joined in the mirthful giggle.

With the three faux humans at the door check themselves over for the second key card for the room, Twilight nervously twiddled her hair as she tried to ask a friendly question. She really had something close to friendship with at least one of them, and with the speed of progress shortening their availability. The experiences to enjoy were finite, and for what it was worth the abrasive air around the trio was nothing compared to the students she knew at Crystal Prep. Eating together, listening to Adagio and her scheming, Aria's commentary about the people near them, and Sonata's frivolous attitude had been the best human interaction she'd had. Sour Sweet and her mood swings, Sugarcoat's rather forth coming observations, Sunny Flare's queen bee personality, and Indigo Zap was just someone to stay clear of if one wanted to not make a contest out of dangerous things everyday. None of them were even interested in her studies nor wanted her to willingly be apart of anything they did unless it was required. Having to go back to that toxic environment peaked her courage to try something.

"If you guys ever want to um... hang out again. I'll be free after school, at least whenever Yellow Tail doesn't need us doing anything that is." she stammered out flustered and anxious.

"Oh! That sounds fun! We could hang out on the weekends and maybe go for breakfast tacos in the morning, or catch dinner together." Dusk prattled on as the ideas flowed.

Ignoring the ceaseless chatter behind her, "I don't see the harm in it, besides Yellow did have us working on teamwork and trust as part of the deal. And we have been meaning to get phones, so write down your number and we'll contact you when we are not busy."

Just as Sparkle appeared to shine with joy, "Just don't let yourself be followed by those three from the other night. If they do, don't come near us or this whole thing will go up in smoke!" Aria's usual sass poked out.

"Oh quit being such a worry wort Aria. Yellow's trusted her and we should to." Sonata asserted as she shook her comrade by the shoulders.

Having batted away the vexing girl, she growled before being the first to leave nearly stomping out of the room. The nerdy student used the paper pad on the desktop nearby and scribbled her contact info before handing it to the dominant siren. Which after it was taken, Sonata gingerly squeezed her new friend that her spine popped from the bear hug. Even as Adagio was exiting the room, she heard the sickening sound and grimaced.

"Even if this world is the worst place ever, your like the only human I'd call friend since we've been here! See ya at dinner time!" letting Twilight go and bounding out the door to the others.

Left to adjust her glasses and smooth our her uniform, the amateur chiropractic session left Sparkle with a fresh body surprisingly enough. At least and the willingness of the Dazzlings to hang out with her would make Crystal Prep tolerable again. She had Spike to retrieve from home and a paper to write which should give her the permission to build a sensor device that could track down magical signatures as per Yellow's orders. He didn't want the Rainbooms or anything else to interfere, but he himself was far too busy as it were to construct the item. Much less have the laboratory and the needed materials, and for herself the device would prove the existence of magic and pivot into a application. Levitation without magnets would be the start to a wide range of head turning utilization.

Sunset's Dorm Room

Shimmer had wasted twenty minutes cleaning up the cheesy crumbles to avoid a roach infestation, chalking up that worry to Discord. Once the room smelled of fresh flowers instead of the mix of different types of aged dairy, she set off to readied for school. She was never one for cheese either, from what she deduced back in Equestria she was lactose intolerant.

All aside, having woken up two hours before she needed to be up, there was just enough time to relax and collect herself. Discord’s little visit had not only allowed her some much needed rest, but it pulled the final straw from her patience. She simply didn’t care anymore and found it easy to look at things with a calmer outlook. It felt strange to not be paranoid for a moment, not that the feeling had left her alone. It amounted to an alarm clock with a lower volume setting, where she could breathe and think without strain.

“So… Discord, the self proclaimed Spirit of Chaos, a reformed subject of Equestria and apparently friends with ponies now he had once tormented with his brand of catastrophe?” she told herself before taking a sip of water from the sink in the bathroom, “He’s here to witness chaos, which means we’re definitely in the right to fear what is out there using Twilight and the Dazzlings.”

Sunset walked downstairs to fix up some of Pinkie Pie's famous instant coffee to further soothe her morning. It was far from the powdered acid found in stores, rather she went through lengths for Sugar Cube Corner's sake. She spent a month going to local roasters for the best beans she would finely grind. Her methods produced an quick serving of black gold that didn't send the drinker into a caffeine headache, but more of a euphoric state with pep. She had given her some after the first night she endured the nightmare, and even showed her how to make a cappuccino version at home.

Once the cup of hot water received a spoonful of the ultra fine grounds, she took to the couch to review the dream she had. The details were still very vivid to the point she could write an essay for the girls to experience themselves.

“This means as soon as Twilight replies, I’m going to have to ask her to redouble her efforts quickly. Maybe even request the Princesses once I tell them Discord was here. That bane of Equis is like a buzzard to a carcass, that means even the girls will need to be on the lookout. It’ll stress them, but in the end we’ll be more ready to battle whatever rears its ugly head. And it's looking to be one nasty looking cave troll with a bunion.” She proclaimed just as her phone rattled for both for her morning alarm and the text messages.

Shimmer wasn’t too keen on what happened before she crashed on the bed, but for some reason Rose was trying to get a hold of her. The device had been put to vibrate accidentally, so there were a number of messages. The first two were five minutes apart, making sure she was well rested or if the herbs failed. The next three were three minutes apart goading for a reply. The recent ones were two new messages that came fifteen minutes after the last set to warn her she was on her way and then at the door.

Which as she finished reading, the door knocked lightly and popped the girl from the miniature screen. They were dainty and light, just enough to requisition attention and nothing more, but it was momentarily freaky to have read it occur as she did. Sunset looked to the entrance and pondered for a moment before the knocking resumed again. It wasn’t long before she remembered another moment from the night before, Flash had mentioned Luck was going to see to her in the morning.

She hurried to the source and looked through the eye hole to confirm the identity of the hand, and there before the door was Rose dressed for school and looking very impatient. Unlocking the two sliders and the deadbolt, the creaking loudly pronounced the interaction as her friend was revealed with the most perturbed look upon her otherwise friendly face.

“It took you this long? Really? You better hope to tell me you had a full nights rest or so have me…” she crossed her arms with a serious look about her as she tapped one of her shoes on the concrete floor.

With a light chuckle, “Whoa, easy there, I took a sample and yes I only just woke up not long ago. I’m pretty sure your herbal blend hit the spot…”

Before she could continue, Sunset soon found herself locked in a tight embrace with gentle arms by the unintended sleep therapist. It was quick, like a shot of espresso she found herself feeling an immense sense of joy that even the coffee had a hard time living up to. It felt as if Discord appearing in their world was nothing important, and the warmth of a strong bond was humbling.

“Good, then I’ll be supplying you anything you need whenever you run out. It’s on the house and its good for my parents too, a good practice trial before they start to package and sell it as a legitimate herbal medicine.” Rose beamed with joy as she let go and straighten up.

“I can’t say I didn’t have a heck of a crazy dream, but it was a mouse compared to the jaguar they use to be.” Sunset brushed a loose bang of hair from her vision as she let Rose inside.

The visitor took a quick gander at the little home, noticing nothing out of the ordinary. For her first time being in Sunset’s dorm, she had expected some kind of mess or perhaps indicators to her many attempts to get the student body to see the reformed her. Rather, in some way it was not at all shocking that Shimmer really didn’t own much nor did she need a lot to begin with. The lingering scent of pine and lavender mingled with the aroma of fresh coffee Pinkie Pie made.

“Dreams, not nightmares, are a good indication that you achieved REM. Though you will still need a lot more than one night before your back to norm." she sniffed the air enticingly, "Mind if I get a cup too? I've hand nothing but a cup of water before I left.” Rose explained as she walked to the kitchenette.

“Hey, after a full nights rest I’ll take you to Hester’s on me!” Sunset chuckled as she joined her friend.

“Girl, I might just take you up on that. So… where are your cups? Are they in this cabinet?” she asked as she popped open a random door.

Shimmer went walleyed when she could have sworn she saw Discord lazily sail through the air from behind the opened door. Luck wouldn’t have seen him right away as she rummaged for the ceramic cups to serve with. The draconequus floated through the air on his back with plate of what looked like flapjacks and a glass of chocolate milk balanced on his serpent body. She wanted to scream at the spirit as much as she wanted to get Rose out of the room. Yet if she reacted in the way Discord would of wanted, she may have ended up losing the new friend she never knew she had.

Quickly thinking of a neutral option, “Heeeey… why don’t you let me handle it for you. No pun intended, but my mugs are in the bottom cabinet with the special ones I don’t use often so they won’t get broken. That one right there!” she feigned as best as she could.

Truthfully, she was keeping her favorite wares in a single area and they were the cutest ones she owned. At least technically owned, they were taken for the most part during her pre-reformed era from boys she got them from. Her coffee and tea addiction was due in part to Celestia when she studied under her. With her little stash of decorated porcelain vessels, Rose’s attention was secured as she awed at the enamel paintings and handmade decals. Discord simply grinned before teleporting away, knowing this wouldn't be the last time he'd show his face and cause trouble for the girl.

A breath of relief escaped Sunset as she stood up and leaned into the counter. Now she was completely sure she hadn’t dreamed it all up.
“This one! Ohhh this one I want to drink out of and make my day.” The squeal of delight introduced the hibiscus covered handled cup which Shimmer gently chuckled at.

Surprisingly enough, that flower themed cup was the one Flash Sentry had given to her on their third date. The flow of memories caused her to think fondly of the walk she shared with him, even if there was nothing between them anymore. The tender look across her face emanated the sentiment which Rose only noticed after she needed to know how to prepare the coffee. Waving her hand in calm girls face earned nothing but a longing sigh, those baby blue eyes were lost to the counter top. Asking fell on deaf ears as were any taps on the shoulder numb to the touch. Frustrated, Rose analyzed the expression before realizing what it likely was about.

The way Flash spoke of what they did after they left to her room, how he seemed happy to help the former demoness of Canterlot High. How she took a recording of their conversation which she brought out and played with the volume at maximum.

"I gotta tell ya, she really needed some rest. It was nice to remember the past with her, I told her about how we both were aware she had a good side to that iron wall she put up. She was genuinely surprised when I told her how you saw her, and we somehow talked about that one day she saved that kid from bullies. I really hope those plants you gave her help, I could probably ask Coach Iron Will if he knew any other aids since some of the guys tend to go all out and tire before big games." the audio recording played out.

"Flash!" Sunset jumped into reality.

"Knew it... I knew you two still had a thing." Rose sneered and giggled as she put away her phone.

Completely flustered and confused, "We don't have a thing Rose! I was tired and I was starting to wobble... he let me rest against him and that was all that happened!!"

"Sure thing kiddo, he cared enough about you to coordinate with me to get you some help. And hold you apparently to get you home safely, its not a thing between you." her grin spread even more as she suppressed a hard laugh at Sunset's expense.

"LOOK! Twilight from back home likes him, and those two hit it off. Last thing I need is her coming back and him swooning over me. She deserves it more, I'd still be evil if it were not for her friendship. I'd still be alone if she didn't get the others to befriend me." Shimmer deflated at the surrender of the opportunity.

Rose broke her joy and puffed out a bit of air in protest, "No! Not true in the least, well about the first part of course. Here is how I see it, I come from a family with a lot of women so you can't give me that 'Quiter' look. Yes Twilight Sparkle has saved the school and possibly the world on two occasions, and yes she just happened across Flash. Sure they're friendly to each other and will likely shoot to one another when she visits. But look at it like this... she's not from our world and I'm not even sure how she visits us. Could be some Einstein time dimensional thing I can't even fathom, but the point is." she stopped Sunset from interrupting, "Its not fair to Flash for him to wait on her to come back even if she makes it as often as she can. She's what? Some kind of princess? You know someone like her has a huge platter of responsibilities."

"I know, I could tell you what Princess Celestia does during the day court and the secret meetings with her advisors..." she tried to explain.

"That means they'd have a long distance relationship with a huge cultural difference to handle, probably why he's fond of her with the way she dances and takes everything seriously. But you and Flash have history! He's fond enough of you to know you had a heart somewhere under that dark veil you had as I did when no one else tried. You and him have a chance, an actual chance Shimmer! If I know anything from the relationships my family has had, it is that you don't waste this. Twice we've had some kind of danger come around, what's to say it won't harm you or him, then what? Regret girl! Regret will follow you and it will bleed you emotionally.

"Rose I don't think I need relationship advise right now. I still have the entire student body to make friends with and pay back all that I've done." Sunset held her rebuttal.

"Shimmer, you need to understand that you'll probably graduate before that goal is ever close to being completed. People are like that and hanging onto it won't help you in the long run. I've seen how they look at you even after the Battle of the Bands, most are warming up to you slowly that is true. But your little dark moment will likely hang on like some crazy superstition. And... your no Twilight Sparkle either, your you. Sunset Shimmer who has a young boys heart in her hands that will fly away if she doesn't hold on out of fear for another. You make it out like they've kissed before or even went out on the dates you've been on! Come on now, take my advise and rekindle that bond you have with him. If Twilight's a princess, she'll have her own suitors back home if she has the time. Your in the now like Allan Watts talked about in philosophy class. Let yourself fall in love again, and allow another to love you as well." Rose continued.

"Your nightmares are probably powered by the loneliness you've felt after your purification. Your only friends with the Rainbooms and you don't have family here. I can't imagine what that's like to come back to this place and not admit it at some point every time you go to sleep or wake up. Nightmares are fueled by the stressed mind trying to escape its problems. Please, for me? Will you at least give yourself some rope and live some? I'll always have your back. Flash, the girls, and me... now shake on it!" she thrust forth her right hand at the bewildered equestrian.

"If I said no, you'd still be on this well after today won't you?" she asked and received no answer but an unbending glare, "I... I... uh, I will try to see everything differently then. I won't promise you I'll restart our relationship, but I'll hang out with him some more. Will that be good enough? If something happens then I'll let Murphy do his thing and I won't stop it. Deal?"

"Deal." Rose Luck flashed a wide smile as the two shook in agreement.

After making a quick brew of Pinkie's popular coffee and showing the dosage of the herbs she took the night prior. The girls spent a quiet moment just enjoying the roasted goodness in a cup as the sunlight filtered into the room, basking them in the comforting heat. Shortly after the R&R, they left for their way to school where Flash Sentry had been secretly told to wait for them by Rose. Luck found it necessary to hold her hand out in front of her ward every time they came to a road with an unmovable stance on Sunset's safety. Which after the third time it seemed to be more patronizing than helpful.

However, since she did nearly end her life prematurely the other day, she couldn’t say a word against the attention. The humility required was just another test to her reformation. Instead, the conversation Luck had brought up about the school and its current politics were what Sunset settled on to placate her dislike of being coddled.

“So they say that Crystal Prep's going to be unstoppable with Soarin and Flamebeck leading the sports theater. With that hunk of a double decker roster, the girls team is just as good with Indigo Zap and Lemon Zest at the forefront. Two girls have just as much talent and energy as those boys, and they will probably send Canterlot into the ground before the third set of games as usual." Rose sighed at the long streak of losses against the rival school.

“I almost forgotten about the Friendship Games, they won’t be long now. Just more hate between opposing schools right?” she nervously laughed when the idea of a few scenarios involving the sirens meant disaster without a moments call between all the negativity fostered by the so called Friendship Games.

“Honestly! You think the title Friendship Games would be loud enough for even a dog could understand it." Luck spouted as they reached the last set of thoroughfare.

"Well, I think we may have a chance though. The schools been united from its little incidents, and with you on the team with the Rainbooms we could have a chance. Heck if we win then I'm sure the students would treat you more kindly." the idea struck a cord in Shimmer.

"Ya, your quite the athlete yourself as well as sharpest mind around." a masculine voice announced behind her and caused the fiery haired girl to jump.

PreviousChapters Next