• Published 6th May 2016
  • 4,170 Views, 66 Comments

The Siren's Remorse - TheronSniper



With the Dazzlings pendants shattered and their bodies fully human, they are left to life's machinations. However, a fellow banished soul might be the key to returning their former selves and taking revenge with a gout of flame.

  • ...
19
 66
 4,170

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 34 Rise of the Dazzlings Part 1

Author's Note:

Had a trip to take and had some time to update all my stories, do enjoy and critiques are welcomed in the comments.

P.S. I have the other two chapters written for Siren's Remorse, oddly enough I had a good few days typing it all out. Things are getting interesting...

Ch. 34 Rise of the Dazzlings Part 1

Adagio watched her sirens voraciously inhale the finely made cuisine, the delicious meals with spices, heat, and taste bud euphoric flavors that no one could really blame them for their dining etiquette. By now, moving to their third helping as they gained a few looks from the customers still there and the wait staff, trying to sample enough before their stomachs could take no more. Their leader wanted them to top it off with a cap, the big time was upon them and this particular human food would be unattainable after that if it even existed back home.

Sonata’s taco addiction melted to the Thai cooking, the sweet salty savory curry had her captive as that time they came across a Mexican buffet joint. With the meat cooked just right that it melted in the mouth, she essentially moaned at the richness being spooned into her gullet. She always had a charm about her when the right food tickled that siren’s fancy that amused the other two. Twilight had seemed to put on a different personality since she attained the magic from the Rainbooms. Dazzle sensed peppiness to her as if she had a spring in every movement. It seemed plausible the foreign mana from other beings could be affecting her. The normally subservient girl looked relaxed as much as could possibly be around her pod mates, even with her matriarch studying each bite she took her actions went unabated. Granted, a happy Dazzling was what Adagio aimed for, but the way in which she changed to her current elated mood pulled on a few strings. Something she needed to keep a close tab on just in case, lest they end up with another bad event as with her and the corrupted stone.

As for Aria, the hard to please female had taken to a rather calm and quiet demeanor. Enjoying her third order by the look of her content eyes and the long chews she took before swallowing a chunk of lamb chops she carved off the bone. The hot oil had been claimed by her, it seemed the desire for something to kick it up a notch to match her usual attitude was a given. Just as so, she kept stealing glances at Twilight through the supper. No sign of anger or displeasure as she would give Sonata when she ate messily if the meal was particularly tasty.

As for herself, Adagio ate at her pace and let the mind ease itself into the serenity of the well prepared meat she presented to her unit like her role demanded of. The fulfilling act itself was a natural pleasure for one of the status upon her head, a biological development of sirens who ascended into leadership like a mother would feel tending to her clutch. It was really the fact that they had essentially won now, and all thanks to a little extra help from an unlikely source.

“Hmmmm… gosh this is like so amazing!! It feels like my tongue is dancing, for realzies!” Sonata sighed as she began to lick her plate clean with a zealous effort much to the frowns of the owners and waiters.

“I know right! I never knew about other foods like this, it’s just packed with so much! And the nutritional content is high as well. Nothing at Crystal Prep even comes close to this.” Twilight noted before taking a sip of water as she began to sweat a little from the peppers in the curry, or the still steaming contents that remained.

Dazzle brought her mind upon her newest siren, a human being who at first was to be nothing but a tool using her keen curious mind that sought out new things to study. Yellow could guide and will without her knowing was likely the original reason for her inclusion in this break out of their confinement. A student no less who found magic to be a game changer in her world which they almost sought to take over for themselves. How easy it was to lead her on, and yet as time passed Adagio developed a liking to the little ape.

Despite how they initially treated her, save for Sonata’s eagerness to say whatever was on her mind that happened to break the ice. Twilight Sparkle had been a very lonely creature with a part of her missing since family had left her to her own devices. Strange that because of her brother, when she came to learn of their lives it had gained her empathy or pity. As a lost seal pup that happened upon a fresh colony of sea lions on a rocky shore, she latched on to them to fill the void secured by their might. It became her mission to help them with their problems out of the goodness of her heart something normally to be reviled. Though out of any other time Adagio would have gagged at the mere thought of kindness, recent developments and bits of knowledge new to them made it clear they would have suffered without outside help aside from Yellow Tail.

“Gotta hand it to these cooks, never gonna eat like queens again. Probably going to have to seek some out from abroad after Equestria is ours. Those ponies and their vegetarian ways... ” Aria talked with the last of her pad thai in her mouth.

“Indeed, even raw seafood pales in comparison to prepared and cooked entrées such as these and what else we’ve had. Even the burgers… what are they with that cheese as they call it. Beef?” Adagio twirled her fork in thought.

“Oh I know, its cattle and cow’s milk! They use the same thing in tacos… oh those are so good.” Dusk answered but missed the mark unknowingly.

Twilight coughed a little to draw attention, “Actually, what you ate was ground beef or chuck compressed into a patty from cattle raised for their meat. The byproduct is grilled usually on a heated metal surface just enough to get it cooked for sanitary purposes. They have to in order to avoid bacterial contamination due to the nature of the process. The cheese you ate was likely sharp cheddar or a white cheese possibly with peppers in it. Those particular sandwich cheeses melt perfectly due to their moisture levels, fat content, and how it sets, currently it’s in decline in the country and around the world because of the methods we use to make it and the detrimental effect on the human body over a lifetimes worth of consumption… red meat and dairy that is as well as what it’s done to the environment.” Sparkle smiled hoping they asked for more details.

Aria gave her a rather flat look before skipping a further lecture, “I think the griffons would probably be the best cooks to seek out, they are known for the wide variety in their diets and use of herbs like humans do. I don’t know maybe so much like them if you ask me. Ponies do cheeses I think?” The others agreed with Aria as their waitress appeared again.

“How is everything?” the young woman called Van wearing a black uniform stood at attention with an eager hand ready to take down more orders from their best customers thus far.

Adagio wiped her mouth with the black napkin that once held the silverware and set her fork down, “Quite fine actually thank you Hidden Jasmine, I’d like to order that dessert you call Sticky Rice was it? Here’s the payment.” Adagio placed a stack of bits for the worker to take with a little for a tip.

She ensured to pay for each additional meal least it looked like they were going to steal the food. Not that their voices would not have fixed easily, she was just in a good mood to save their energy for the grand stage.

With wide eyes of astonishment, “Be right back, thankyou so much for coming here!” the woman left after a shallow bow, to which Aria whispered a few things in her wake at the monetary bought adoration.

“I figured after that last helping we should probably wrap it up. I wanted to go to the local karaoke bar just down the street and see how good Twilight can sing? Wouldn’t that be nice?” Sparkle gained a bit of her old self as she blushed at her leaders want to hear her voice.

“I’ve never really sang to be honest, maybe a little to Spike when thunderstorm would pass by. Though I guess nothing ventured nothing gained? Am I right?” she grinned sheepishly as her mind fired up to predict all the scenarios that would happen.

Sonata dropped the porcelain plate free of sauce and edibles as she looked overjoyed, “COOL!! Adagio approved of some tunes I finally finished, we could try them out tonight and see what you think?!” the cerulean siren gleamed at the idea of fun before the big concert soon to come, “It’ll be a great way to!!… end it all off before we leave back home…”

Dusk took a noticeable dip in mood, the whole reason they would be singing to thousands tomorrow would be the return trip with no tickets back to earth. In all likeliness they’d never see Twilight again, her first best friend she ever made that wasn’t a siren would become nothing but a memory. At least to her it felt like she would be losing her mother all over again, as they’d never need to come back or if the option was there when all was said and done.

Adagio sighed to herself as the attempt to liven things up had backfired horribly. Not a good way to be pepped up for some fun singing that didn’t include slaving others to their will. She saw her human react as well, feeling something for the state her fellow had fallen into. Wondering what would possess the girl and what words she’d try to say to fix things drew the others gazes in anticipation. Aria noticed the percolating situation, though she kept quiet as Sparkle shook her head as she pushed her nearly empty dish aside.

“I’ve decided that I’m going to go with you three.” She declared with a bit of shakiness though resolute.

With a cocked eyebrow from Adagio gave her full attention now with a smirk, “Really now? I thought you were going to stay here and complete your global thing with magic to change the world for the better? Or are you afraid of the Rainbooms giving you a bad rap?”

“Ya, to stop wars, poverty, hunger, and all that mumbo jumbo.” Blaze laughed lazily as her eyes stuck to Sparkle waiting for a witty response.

“As a scientist… as an intellectual, I can’t let go of a chance to have unlimited power to really test everything I’ve created thus far. I don’t know what will happen to the portal after everyone goes through it, but Yellow told me that I’ll have to constantly recharge from its magic and I don’t know how much I’ll need to perform all the experiments I need to do before I have anything feasible to gain. Which means it would be the best option if I went along and mastered some aspects with a never ending source. Though there are a few bugs in the plan to work out, I’ll be able to help you guys since my counterpart will likely be on the other side as well right?” the other Dazzlings seemed stunned that she actually would carry out her promise so eagerly and with a well thought out reason.

While Sonata wore a smug grin knowing her new friend would do such a thing, not the same could be said of the others as they had their doubts at first. Surprisingly, they assumed she might have remained behind since her goal was to ultimately pursue her own ends. It was a rather entertaining thing to see that they were wrong about Twilight, in that she could shoulder both desire and loyalty together. Perhaps what Adagio thought was their human bodies had created a kind of visual link to make it more accommodating to aid them like mimics of the Gontha Jungles, things they never wanted to see again after that chance encounter. If they were really in their truest form, scaly hippocampi with large fins and mouths filled with sharp teeth, would Sparkle really help them? Or would she even still keep her vow once on the other side, and then they’d figure it out from there? The emotions she gave off were nothing but the truth to them, no underlying deception hide away as some intestinal parasite. That softened what apprehension Adagio had, the plus side of being a creature who fed off negative emotions; passive empathic ability.

“Wow Sparkle, never thought I’d say this but… your alright.” The admission from Blaze had shocked everyone even more, rarely would she even do such a thing for a living entity that was not a tool or piece of equipment.

“Well, for earning a praise from the praiseless one here, you’ve earned your spot among us without question. Sonata for sure as well as I after that time we will never speak of again, but for the last of us… I hope you’ll have some offensive magic ready for when SHE appears. There’s no telling how powerful that Equestrian is back home.” The golden siren waved her hand around in the air with a bored look, feeling that they’d be able to take on that pony with the Rainbooms out of the picture.

“I’ve studied every category of major magical arts, though I only have a surface skim of the entire spectrum of spells. Currently I have over two hundred different magics at my disposal which are regrettably untested. I do hope to find more elaborate resources to draw from when we get there. If I see myself, I won’t see Twilight Sparkle the Dazzling… I’ll see the Twilight Sparkle who nearly ended your lives by taking away your powers. She and the others are nothing but unintentional murders, like amateur researchers who let a project go awry without knowing the full impact of what would happen in any case. I dislike people very much who don’t know the ramifications of their actions… the unintended side effects can’t be ignored even if it’s for Science!” She balled her fists, giving a stern gaze at her matriarch.

‘She definitely is one of us, no doubt about it. No harmony or friendship drivel those Rainbooms held so dear. This… this cooperation… family… huh? I guess Poseidon’s grace reaches this far doesn’t it?’ Adagio thought as she watched the others give her their wordless approval.

With the thumping of Jasmines shoes on the wood floor, the girls turned their attentions to the arrival of the unique sweet treat. The aroma strange with a placement of four forks for each to use gave the conclusion of serious talk at an end for the day.

Picking up her utensil and being the first to taste with a mild appreciation for the crafted dessert, “I like the way you think, those Equestrians nearly killed us twice now that’s for sure. They won’t know what hit them. If there’s one thing you don’t ever do is anger a siren, we live a very long time.” Adagio began to laugh a little crazily still chewing on the morsel which transitioned into a moaning sugary delight.

After their feast completed, the sirens plus one human exited the restaurant as the staff bid them a hearty farewell and wishes for return. How clueless the humans were, which brought a momentary mirth to Dazzle as she felt their appreciation for their patronage. Eventually, they made it to the business location that had been researched earlier, which thankfully had been only slightly busy for the night. It was the end of the week though it should have been packed on a night as such it seemed everyone was set to save money for the convention if the banners hung on every other street advertised to all.

Entering the establishment, their eyes were greeted with colorful lights and shapes right off the get go from the rather bland exterior of the bar. The check in was a marvelous chest high u-shaped counter with a leopard design along its sleek polished surface. A few decorative plants flanked the two cashier registers tended to by cleanly dressed uniformed women. There was a large board up top, electronic in nature which showed the different rooms for use and rent from those to the open mic area complete with a bar. As anticipated, most areas were not taken and left many options from windowed rooms to those with privacy, and tonight even the golden siren did not want an audience for the fun.

Paying for their room had been an easy affair, the girls walked through the hallway of carnival and loud music from the social area. Guessing that large parties or walk in patrons gravitated towards it, more the merrier, as the saying went.

Once at their door, Sonata jumped first to claim the remote to begin to search through the song list as immense as it was even for the little karaoke bar. Adagio giggled to herself as she caught a glimpse of the several categories of music each with sixty four tracks to them, how many were based off the genres they made during the Coltesseum battle against Starswirl the Bearded. Of course knowing the blue skinned teenager, she could spend the entire night going through every song much to their chagrin. Not that the room was all that amusing to begin with, it possessed little else other than vanilla walls with mocha borders, while the TV and its stand were black with a few neon lights to add some pizzazz. It was understood the nature of the room needed no gimmicks to serve its purpose and overly decorated ones detracted horribly. Though they supposed the soft carpeted floor which let them take off their foot wear was a good choice on the business’s choice. Each of their pairs were set by the door, with Twilight taking Dusk’s since she seemed glued to the screen.

Adagio and Aria sat back to watch with fresh soda cans they bought at the check-in. They wanted it to be a calm night and nothing like a bit of sugar water with its fizziness to ease in the entertainment to be had. Sure their kind of were carnivores, the taste of meat and some vegetables to compliment were acceptable to their stomachs. Yet the human world with its sweets and decadence had won over a new taste bud in them since they started using the bits Yellow gave them. Odd it was the use of sugar and they had no allergic reaction to it either. Perhaps it was lent to their human bodies even with their powers back, they had a larger variety of sustenance to try out and actually partake in. The commodity of the crystallized sweetener rarely used back in Equestria besides sugar cubes. The many flavors were just astounding, but even they knew what happened to ponies that focused on such things, they grew portly.

Setting the cool condensating metal can on the coffee table in the center of the small sound proofed room, Adagio let the two girls by the TV screen have their fun first. Aria and she wanted the extra time to warm up their vocal cords, perfection at the most lest there be no show. Of course the first couple of songs that had been picked out thankfully soon enough, Twilight had bailed out from shyness in her own ability. Even though she supported Sonata when the siren noticed the solo act and attempted to stop and restart. It was a moment of trying for the human, being amongst the best singers in the world quite literally. They could sense the apprehension in wanting to show before them. After a third water break, the eager siren of the three thought of something perfect for casting off the doubt that impeded the humble girl.

“Okay I’m sure you’ll be able to sing this Twilight, you sound like so much like her. For realzies!! I heard it over the internet like a couple weeks ago.” Dusk bounced on the cushioned seat as she set the song on play from her custom menu.

“Umm… let’s just see about it first? I’ll do my best. No more stalling!” Sparkle picked up the mics on a stand and passed one to Sonata just as the timer counted down to zero.

“Just let the music come from the heart, it’s how we make people do what we want besides the spell. Follow my lead and you’ll do fine!” Sonata waved her friend’s worry away as the piano began to play to introduce the song.

A touch of an electronic element herald the words as they began, which reluctantly Twilight took in a deep breath and calmly awaited the moment to start. With the glimmer in Dusk’s eyes of pure unadulterated happiness and the adorable child-like essence, she couldn’t afford to let her down again. They were the Dazzlings, not just some rag tag group assembled to do whatever Yellow needed of them. If she were to be a Dazzling through and through, then she’d need to sing even if they wouldn’t find it appealing. Just one shot and they’d tell her to stop or continue, perhaps she’d even find some joy in it?

Then came the first of the lyrics to the catchy tune…

“I will rise in resistance. Sing the oath of rebellion. And cease-fire on this high wire.” Twilight’s voice tried to find the right pitch to match Sonata’s.

Her shaky hesitation was noticeable, “Head to toe in vanity. When those eyes in the mirror stare back at me. I’m reminded that the ghost of pride is clear to see. Wipe away the weakness. Will you let those scares define you? Or will they adorn you as we carve are way to victory?”

Aria tilted her head as the vocal cords picked up with the spirit gaining confidence, “Doubt is crying out but I refuse to let it drown me. Wearing down my fight till nothing’s left.”

Adagio by then joined her comrade as she leaned forward to watch the performance pick up as it sent goose bumps along her arms and back. Something about the way that voice sounded, it had a far too eerie similarity to that pony version of her to the point the regrettable battle surfaced for a flash chance. It was formidable, though it lacked the enchanted portion it was still in and of itself a golden throat that even Sonata stopped singing when she picked up on it.

“I SAY CRIER. I SAY LIAR. I SAY RISE IN HELL. I stand gazing down at death as they say… WAR!! I’LL WAGE WAR. I HATE WAR. They say fight for peace… but what is that?” the sirens beheld the budding talent of her their fourth member quietly as a good audience would.

“Raise a shield to the bullets. Hold my ground, all I got now. But I’m defeneceless, all but helpless if it gives beneath my feet. I turn from the mirror. That desperate plea. I refuse and can’t believe those eyes belong to me.” Sparkle sang even as her own body began to perk up with alertness and energy as she put all she had into the song, missing the building power in her chest.

“Come on, one more breath. My ravaged voice betrays me mid-shout. Will you never hear those final words I failed to choke out? I tried to survive by putting all my faith in instinct. But now I regret what have I done?” The golden siren looked in awe at Aria who returned the same flabbergasted jaw drop as she, something was coming off of Twilight and it was what they loved and needed themselves since that day at the café when they witnessed the fall of Sunset’s demon rise.

“I SAY CRIER. I SAY LIAR. I SAY RISE IN HELL. I am just about to BURST as they say WAR!! I’LL WAGE WAR. I HATE WAR. There’s no end to this… can’t you see that?” Sonata started to tear up as she held her hands to her mouth to stifle her reaction so as to not interrupt the singer as she peaked.

A lone tear feel from the corner of Twilight’s eyes, “A cowardly façade weaves into my voice. As I call for war, blinded by this far-fetched noble cause. Although I had a choice, I believed the lies. But it’s all a dream, ending when I open my eyes”

“Come on, one more breath. My ravaged voice betrays me mid-shout. Will you never hear those final words I failed to choke out? Tried to survive by putting all my faith in instinct. But now I regret what I’ve done?” she shot up in her seat as a blast of magic from within her expanded outwards in a spectacular glow of lavender energy that the sirens felt as a warm haze, their gems began to soak up what they could of the ambient power.

“I SAY CRIER. I SAY LIAR. I SAY RISE IN HELL. I stand gazing down at death as they say WAR!! I’LL WAGE WAR. I HATE WAR. They say fight for peace… Does it exist?” her loyal fan that was Sonata could barely keep herself contained with the mirth exploding in her, she wanted to hug and squeeze her bestie till her arms grew tired.

“My hand, can you reach it? My cry, can you hear it? Can you, can you tell me, if this dream was worth it? My hand, can you reach it? My cry can you hear it? Can you, can you help me? Wake me up from this nightmare…” the guitar picked up as Sparkle let the song finish before letting the ecstasy of the magical release wear off, to which she gave no hint of even realizing it happened.

It struck her to know she had an audience and seeing as she did not know her own voice nor what it sounded like. She quivered to see what the results were of her real first attempt. Uncertain by the calm that crept through the now silent room with the song concluded, even with the power that welled up within her still lingering in her body did little to quell the beating heart.

Twilight could only think of how the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts use to laugh at her behind her back, she desired to know if the sirens would do the same thing to her since their forte was in singing. An amateur to masters, what hope could she really gain until she turned to look at them in the eyes?

“I… I… I uh… don’t know how I sounded. I’ve never actually tested the character and quality, though I wish I did now… please go easy on me?!” she asked as if anticipating a shove out the door of the room like a losing contestant on those TV shows for the masses.

There was a short wait, agonizing few minutes as the girl struggled to hold back the horror of her best friends judging and teasing like some side show attraction. What she did not expect was the vice like grip of Sonata taking her fiercely and lifting her above the ground as always. Only this time she berated her with admiration and congratulations as she mistakenly thought she became an actual siren.

“Oh My Gosh!! I can’t believe you really are one of us! Ohhhh when we get to Equestria, think of all the new songs we get to do with a fourth member of the band! We’d be the four musketeers like in the TV show I see late at night! With four of us… we could make beautiful MUSIC!!!” to which Sparkle coughed a bit as her rib cage had been constricted rapidly.

Shaking her like a ragdoll, the others regained their character and huffed at the overexcitement of Dusk to assume such a thing was even possible. Even with the chaotic magic the girl had been tainted with, magic simply did not work like that and nor could a pony change their species like a changeling. It was always illusionary magic that came even close to that ability, that and with what little they knew about the way she absorbed mana the tool wasn’t here with them.

Adagio was sure of one thing, she was indeed the human equivalent of the vile fiend who was a part of the group that put them in such a tough spot and stopped their ascendance. She had her voice and the innate talent in music even if she didn’t practice it like the other probably did.

Regardless, they had a secret weapon powerful enough that if she could find a way to use that magic she gave off singing to enhance their own abilities if they had to fight off mages. They’d have the absolute defense and offense for if another Sunset Shimmer appeared at the cusp of victory, especially for the battle zone they’d likely encounter. The magicians of the Arcana were destined to feel their fury, attempting to likely banish to the human world again. Even the princesses would be tested from their combined might once they had the army of adoring fans behind them. Everything was about to change, Twilight just kept giving them more and more to work with as if fate smiled upon them and Poseidon had given them his favor as champions. Perhaps that was it, the all father gave them the opportunity against the sun and moon, to be his avatars to teach a lesson to the pony empire who would destroy his water realms.

“Well girls, I think we’re all in agreement about what we just heard. Twilight how about a song where we all sing together, I’d love to see how well you fit in with someone besides Sonata.” Adagio prompted as Aria and her moved up front and grabbed a mic of their own from the entertainment system.

Sonata seemed confused before she got the message and dropped the girl, handing her the equipment as Adagio searched for the next track to play. The night had gotten interesting enough for Aria to actually start grinning in anticipation, as she too wanted to test their new siren compatriot since Adagio let her in. What better way than how harmonic they could all perform together.

As the night went on, the sirens found they had a reason to like Twilight even more as she had been able to add rather than detract from the group. She could maintain and keep certain octaves and easily use her brainpower to swerve with the lyrics of faster paced songs easily. Not only had that, but having a fourth in the group improved the sound of the others by a compliment. The rule of three gave a pass to the fun they had, something Adagio started plans for the future. Even perhaps enchant her voice just enough to also sow discord and disharmony even by a smidge, hopefully Twilight might know a dark magic spell for that when she dived into what books were over there.

By the end of the night, the girls were outside the bar and taking in the cool dark air under a nearly full moon. Traffic was low for how late it had become, a few people remained by the time the establishment started to close. The tranquility served to welcome the glow between the three sirens and their human ally, her lingering mana from absorbing three wells had finally dissipated with the karaoke night and into the gemstones around the siren’s necks. The Dazzling rubies fed on passively so as not to rip it from her, they were careful not to damage such a valuable asset.

“So, I guess that ends the festivities, Sparkle it’s been quite the pleasure and very much an eye opener. I have many plans for you when we cross over, so be ready to please me as I’m sure you will.” Dazzle gave her the trademark smirk, bringing her right hand up to her chin and running the fingertips along the jaw line before walking away.

“Understood.” She bowed unnecessarily though mainly to hide the blush she sported at the gentle touch.

Sonata then grabbed hold of her for one last hug, “Good luck with those games! Watch out for the Rainbooms, they always have a trick up their sleeve. Besties for life! Besties in another life!!” she said as her arms took the human girl gently unlike the other times her strength was insane.

“Don’t worry Sonata, they won’t get me that easily. You should get going though, don’t want to let Adagio wait.” Sparkle patted her back until the cerulean girl released her.

Waving madly again with a grin nearly ear to ear, she hopped away to Adagio already a few steps away down the sidewalk. Last was Aria who stood grumpy as ever only, when she looked to Twilight it wasn’t in the usual sense. Twilight failed to detect her hard to please attitude, it just seemed to look content and happy strangely enough. With her arms folded over her gothic style sleeveless jacket and the trench coat leather skirt with buckles and straps, she chuckled for no reason at first. She closed her eyes as she looked away, the giggle going into a full blown laughter which caught the girl by utter ambush. Sparkle knew this particular siren was the type to not handle stress and often used blunt tactics to overcome problems. However, she was far from unstable like the other two or in Sonata’s case aloof. To go from the free flowing girl she was during their recreational singing to spontaneous joy actually kind of scared her. Had the initial report over the siren been premature?

Aria ceased the uncontrollable chortle and wiped away the tears caused by the quick diaphragm contractions, where she soon dropped her barrier of façade for the first time in a long while. It seemed like a whole other siren as she acted and behaved like a normal girl sauntering up to the human. Placing her hands on her hips and cocking her posture to one side of her body, a one sided grin giving Twilight the shivers from the unknown about to occur.

“After all this time, a human is what we needed to get this train finally on the right tracks. But even I wouldn’t have thought it possible after all the plans Adagio tried and surprisingly enough failed at every single time. All that fast food and we have finally been able to really eat what we needed, I can’t tell you how insufferable this has all been. Now you go and not only actually want to help us… but you seem to want to care about magical creatures that will bring down a world into their adoring fans and nothing more. What’s wrong with you?” she kept her cheerful attitude even as the question stung hard.

Sparkle had said it many times before, and the Rainbooms were the worst to prove it to so Aria wouldn’t be much of a hurdle. Though by the way she came about, it seemed that there was a purpose behind talking to her like she did. As if she wanted to hear something from her to confirm.

“I know I’ve told everyone else already so I’ll sum it up. I don’t see you as evil, I see evil that has made you and though that’s not always good it seems it’s a must with this Equestria. They’re pursuit of technology has led them to harm the lives of others, and who knows what other creatures they’ve consequently destroyed the lives of because of mishaps and contamination... just like my people have. Adagio would still be with her family, Sonata though would be fending for herself and you… I never did learn about you to say anything. Though I’m sure you’d still be with your family?” she rubbed her left arm nervously as Aria gave a blank look.

“Go on…” the mulberry siren prompted hungry for more.

“What hit me the most was the irresponsibility of the Rainbooms to remove your power and not know what it would do to you! Your situation is similar to one of the countries abroad who’ve been stomped on by a superpower and are trying to chip away at their heels. Though, I really hope Adagio just wants to put enough pressure behind the Equestrians to make them change their ways.” she divulged what she had hoped to occur, “I know she hurts deep down, but she can’t possibly want to trade an eye for an eye. The whole world would go blind!”

Aria laughed again, a jubilation that seemed more of an understanding than to mock, “At least our pod has another brain to think over things, Adagio so likes to go with her emotions far too much. You at least think like a siren should, because really… I don’t know if they will let Adagio get away with what she’s planning. If she really goes and does what she told us, we’ll be removing the sources of food from all around Equestria they need themselves. We’ll be making enemies because pods never share territory or resources and the other matriarchs will want a piece of us too. Considering we don’t have any sirons in our pod yet… it won’t be pretty.” Sparkle sensed bitterness in that last sentence.

“I kind of figured that would be the case, she does deserve her just dues and to prevent the same thing from happening again to others. I feel that is her ultimate goal, unless Yellow Tail was telling the truth.” Sparkle withered under the gaze of the girl with twin ponytails.

“That conspiracy stuff ugh! Never did believe that fool’s story, demons and all that. Either way, I think you’ll be the one to keep her from messing up royally, she’s tartarus bent on getting her way and you’ll be the voice of reason. You’ll make our lives less of a headache. Besides, I like power and adoration as much as the next siren, but having an empires worth is like having Sonata hopped up on sugar or caffeine. Too much noise and work to keep them in line. I’d rather live the life with a city under our thrall and we can bask on a shoreline, getting what we need every now and then while we relax without a trouble in the world…” She commented and stepped closer till they were inches away with a smirk growing.

“I want to help you three, and of course at some point I’ll have to come back here whenever that will be. Haha, I don’t even know what species I’ll be when I cross over. Wouldn’t it be great if I was a unicorn so I can study magic! Or even a siren so I can better help you three?! I wonder if I can change about too? If the scanner can come with me I might be able to mimic those I absorb from and change at will? I wonder what would happen if I became a griffon like Serak?” Twilight’s inquisitive nature went on its usual tangent.

With a whistle to get her attention, “Hey, Twi, keep it together while I’m talkin to you. I actually just wanted to thank you for not treating me like everyone else has in the past. We never… really needed help from anyone before so its been new to have you with us.” The tenseness in her tone alluded to an underlying problem that caused Sparkles mind to jump at the chance to help the third with her troubles.

“I… I am?” the shine from her delight surged out as her last bucket list with the sirens was on the precipice of achieving.

“Ya, Sonata just can’t keep her mouth shut when we try to keep things not obvious and like I said about Adagio. She plans and plans for big stuff that always crash and burn, so when I try to guide us better well… you know the customary way she treats it as a threat to her dominance. Just like my mom use to…” the smirk she had faded and her stance lost its pertness.

Twilight felt they were touching on an important issue so she approached in a low way, “You don’t have to say anything if you don’t want to. I’m just here to make…” Twilight wanted to keep her speaking but it seemed she did not need to by the leap that was taken that cut her off.

“The reason I joined Adagio was because my mother never let me do anything, I was this little runt of a hatchling she worried over like an egg during a cyclone. A blasted runt!!” she cursed quietly as anger surged, “That made me a target by every other hatchling to hold it against me like Aria the Runt, Runtling Blaze, Arunt Blaze! No one ever trusted me to do anything, even help sing with the others when my gem came in. Unlike Sonata, they didn’t even let me try out and I was left as some piece of waste for the group to keep up. I hated my mother for that and the others, so when Adagio came… it was easy to leave.” The purple siren seemed to convey sadness in the motion she made against her pod.

“So Adagio offered you a life where you were needed, and you wanted that more than anything.” Sparkle asked.

“It was hard at first till we got Sonata onboard, but it was something I became proud of after our first victories and heavy feasts. I actually did more than my old pod could ever do! And I wanted to rub it in their faces, I wish I did so earlier so I could feel better about what I did… but after Starswirl the lame kicked us out, that chance never came back. For as long as we’ve probably been gone for… they’re probably either dead or moved to new grounds.” Twilight wanted to speak again, but the sorrow of regret in the girl just stole her words, what could she say to that?

“Still, Adagio became as I said she did and Sonata proved to grow more dull in the head as the years went on. This place… it’s been doing something to us and I’m glad we’re going back! The point is, you did not treat me differently, you even asked how each of us were doing and gave a few pointers in those text messages you and idiot over there couldn’t stop doing.” She seemed to fume as Twilight recalled how late they did contact each other which likely woke Aria up with the light from the phone.

“Sorry about that, I wasn’t sure if she was in the bathroom or in the bed.” She twiddled her index fingers together a bit embarrassed.

Though the girl gave her a curious look, one contested in many ways, “No matter how I treated you and Sonata, you still cared about us… like a heck of a difference from my home pod. No matter what, you’re still caring about all this… this revenge stuff!” Blaze pushed as if trying to get the human to admit otherwise.

Sparkle waited as she thought what the implications were to this moment, on one hand she learned about Aria’s reason for being as she was. The other it seemed the mulberry siren was unused to some other being not holding her underdevelopment be a forefront at any conversation, though it wasn’t very apparent she was a runt. A runt of the litter or clutch of hatchlings, she couldn’t fathom what that was like if only to relate her status as an intellectual shut in she had to admit. Her life at Crystal Prep and the school before that, being shoved about and given no line if she made an error, perhaps she did know what it was like?

“Maybe… I know too?” she admitted.

Blaze scoffed and shook her head knowing about her inept social life, “Your always full of surprises you know that? Makes me really regret what we’ll be doing at the convention center tomorrow ya know? If it’s to get home though, I guess there’s no other way. We don’t belong here and I really want our old gems back, these things give me the shakes, and to top it all off… I don’t want to actually die here either. It kind of takes away the tough persona I try to keep up knowing the Rainbooms have or had that power to make us fully human… at anytime they could have found us and stolen this all away! I’m… I’m glad you did what you did.”

Twilight soon found herself embraced by the abrasive siren who sort of put too much into the effort gesture that a couple of pops could be heard from her bones. She eeped at the sensation of cartilage cracking, though she was elated to know that was the source instead of a dislocated joint. A harsh pat on the back and the two girls parted, with Aria giving a very guilty toothy sneer as her way of being embarrassed of the act. She couldn’t stop herself from bringing her finger to Twilight’s forehead and lightly flicking it so as not to actually hurt the human. A little giggle ended any further physical contact, but someone had to say something before she joined the others at the bus stop.

Twilight could tell the others were watching from afar, Adagio’s huge fluffy curls were at a unique angle so she could see and hear better. The same could be said with Sonata who crouched on the bench trying to make herself as small as possible while staring over the black metal arm.

“Hey… just so you know with all your tricks you keep pulling out of your hat and… the talent in your voice.” She paused looking elsewhere as if shy to say what she wanted to speak, “When you mentioned about turning into a siren and all that, not knowing anything…”

Twilight stood in place knowing she was the kind of girl to not take forwardness very well, she waited for the words to come forth and give the message. Otherwise, she’d get snapped at or worse if she tried to assure her that it was okay to talk and touch her shoulder or something, things might have gotten violent.

“Aaargh!! What I wanted to say is…!!!” she nearly shouted as a thick shade of violet spread over her face from the sensitive and very revealing piece of information came out into the blue.

Twilight stumbled back at the brash hesitation, yet she kept a welcoming smile hoping she guessed right as to why she said what she did, “I know what you mean, what you meant to say and thanks. I look forward to our magical adventures in Equestria, all the spells to learn, and I’ll watch your backs every step of the way Aria. It’s what friends do right?!”

Blaze still flustered, she calmed down as the human girl she spoke to took it in stride and did not ridicule her for it. In fact, she responded in exactly the right way she needed her to, and it secured the new honorary siren in her okay list which was few and rare as it was.

“Ya… what friends do. Stay safe out there Twi, those Rainbooms will likely try to pull something and I don’t want to have to come barging in during our show to save your sorry tail. Not that Sonata wouldn’t do as well, leaving Adagio hot headed and raging.” she left waving goodbye, a new thing that felt alien yet welcoming as well.

The night had ended perfectly, their team stronger than ever and both had their battles to face the next day. One she now thought, she couldn’t let her wild side come out again as it did in the restroom. It could be construed as cheating and land C.P. in defeat, she needed the magic from the other Rainbooms to make sure no little secret plan could be made. Even three still could be a thorn in their side, like a variable with too much room for error to make any experiment safe. Though she had plenty of time tomorrow to take, right now she was late to get home. Sleep was necessary to be at peak mental efficiency she’d need to maintain control over the magic.

Considering it was still a barely grasped concept for her, danger lurked from misuse or overconfidence. At least she had the girls to remind her and keep a lid on the powder keg, she now knew all three of them and their little demons. Or as much as they’d let on and enough to secure their trust, perhaps she’d learn the rest in the foreign lands of magic and monsters?

A horn honks just as the bus stop received the screeching breaks of the metro transit. It was the familiar taxi van that belonged to the one and only Serak who activated the electric door opener.

As she neared closer, “Doth thou needeth a carriage?” he joked from inside.

Twilight giggled and took his offer home, it was far safer than waiting for the next bus in her direction or walk the streets this late.

Sunset’s Dorm 8pm

It was getting late in the evening, the games were going to start tomorrow and the other school had a crazy magical demoness who could probably secure the victory for Crystal Prep and no one would be the wisest. She had thrown a retaliatory fit as she couldn’t accept that they were on the losing side of this battle being waged, the words that Sparkle had said to them with such vindication. What had her even more was the possible truth in the history of the sirens, were they really doing everything they had done and doing now all because of the damage ponies of yor had committed? Were they really justified in taking revenge like a fish to water?

Amidst her crisis, Flash had contacted her not long after she arrived at home, the others told him of what happened and he had shown up at her door to help her. With a little convincing and the fact that he had Rose Luck on the phone warning Shimmer if she didn’t take his hand of friendship that she’d be there in a heartbeat to knock some sense in her.

The two sat in silence in her living room, unsure of what could be said as for the last ten minutes Sunset just kept her gaze away from him. In fact, just him being there was more than enough for her to at least feel some sense of ease even if it was tiny. She still wore the same outfit that had been worn throughout the day, not bothering to have gotten into more comfortable wear. Though her boots were at the door with her socks still on as she kicked at the carpeted floor more or less troubled at how to deal with her ex-boyfriend.

As she stewed in the muck that had become her life, Flash did not know what to really say that wouldn’t be condescending even if he said things would get better. This was a new world of magic that he really had no knowledge of with the human Twilight he ran into now having become something akin to Sunset in her demon days. What he might say could very well have no real hold or grasp of the reality that was true. Yet, something deep down boiled to the surface of his hesitation, grabbing at his control to take the helm and do anything for his friend.

Words echoed in the back of his skull, whispers he couldn’t understand beyond what feeling they conveyed unmistakably. Like little gremlins under the bed or rustling limbs of a forest, it was pervasive and unrelenting to get him to move. So he did to both appease his own desire to be helpful and what itched away at his consciousness.

“Sunset… I…” he immediately drew her into a soft embrace with her back to him.

She jumped a little at the sudden grab, recovering quickly and hiding her face. Once a corrupted and powerful demon with immense magic, reformed into good that soon vanquished a marauding band of evil seaponies, and now a worthless girl and former unicorn that couldn’t stop what had just come through like a sonic jet. What worth was she to gain any compassion from her companions if all she did was try to find the culprit of the gem theft and nothing else? Spending much of her time just trying to think through weeks of little sleep, and nearly getting herself killed on the road? What did she really do with herself as this all went south, having forgotten about Twilight when Rarity caught her with the sirens? Not even an attempt to find her and put some bucking sense into that brain of hers. If of course that would have been the right thing to do given the latest history on the Dazzlings.

“Sunny, I know I can’t say anything to reach you… just know that I felt like you did not long ago.” He sighed resting his chin on her waves of red and yellow stripped hair which had the scent of strawberries.

She withdrew into herself even more by bringing her knees towards her chest, “Remember when I said I never wanted to go back from where we came from? I never told you that we did and that was why I vowed that.”

His voice grew very solemn as if it pained him to say what was about to be spoken, his grip on her became more encompassing as if to prepare for it. She noticed every little detail of his addled body language and stopped moving against his help.

“We had to go back and see grandmother, I’ll never say her family nickname ever since she caused mom so much trouble. But she had to get a procedure done on her bad back, it wasn’t treated right and developed an infection. Malpractice insurance and all that…” he felt her turn a little to him yet still avoiding his sight, at least part of her face was visible even with the sign of tears rolling down her right cheek.

A deep breath in and out of Flash was felt along her back from the gentle expansion of his chest, “She was dying and mother was called to her death bed, she wanted me to come along for support and to give final words to her. Since I wasn’t a part of that whole mess, she thought grandmother would want to see me. But when we did arrive… I wasn’t very well received.”

Shimmer had grown interested in his tale, “What did they say?” she turned her head enough to look at his chest mournfully, adjusting so her hair obscured her eyes.

“They said, ‘Why did you bring him here?’ with the most appalled look they could give as if I was a joke for being there. I didn’t act on it, I just let mom do all the talking and I even got to have a peaceful chat with my uncles. At least the ones that were not blood related. Of course, then came our moment to see that woman…”

He sounded tired now, as if the energy of his soul had drained out. Sunset knew sort of where the story was about to go, and she could not help but give a sense of support. Placing a palm on his chest and rubbing in a way one would a sick dog, gently and methodically of the pectoral muscles which were tense.

“Sunset, I… stood before her with the most still face I could manage. I felt nothing for her condition in fact, I felt she deserved it from the start. Leaving this world in a painful way… decaying like what she did to mom’s heart when she disowned her and us. I just smiled and responded when she asked if I had a boyfriend.” He laughed at that, “One of my aunts told me she was delirious from the painkillers in her system, but I was okay with it. Even though mom was happy she’d given permission to rejoin the family, I had nothing but hate. Hate to that woman and to myself for not being able to be human about her passing.” He hissed a little and felt another hand caress his face that soothed what emotional turmoil was left.

“You acted as you felt, that is human enough. You couldn’t come to terms with how she broke the family and left you guys alone. It’s only fair.” She croaked through her voice she hadn’t used since she left the school a few hours ago.

“I’ve hated myself still… she died a few days later and I still felt the same. I hated her till I couldn’t feel anything anymore and went into music and my band to move on as mom did in her own way. I wanted to tell you that so you didn’t do the same thing. I know you regret not being able to stop all this crazy stuff from happening, but you still can do something. Not all the girls lost their magic!” he said to her tightening his hold around her as the way she touched had done wonders.

She looked into his sea blue eyes as she understood what he aimed for, and let a chuckle go at the care he gave her. Undeserving of his attention much less being told a very sensitive piece of history of his family and of his self imposed crime, it was a few minutes that would be memorable to her throughout life. In a way, they shared much in the trials of life even if they were different species from different worlds, fate just seemed to favor them as punching bags.

“I bet if you guys pooled your magic together, maybe you can redistribute it and use what little you have to fight the cursed Twilight… whose not from Equestria.” He paused when he noticed how intently she eyed him.

As if a bucket of ice had been dumped down her pants, the idea made perfect sense. If Twilight could absorb mana, then it was transferrable in some manner that she’d need to find. They might be able to at least destroy the portal if it all went south as a last ditch effort as regrettable as it would be, for the sake of Equestria as the shadow group would most likely be there. At the very least least they could probably damage the siren gemstones again and hinder the mastermind using them should it prove too difficult to harm the statue. The brilliance of Flash had her in pure awe as she took him into a deep fast kiss with her arms around his neck, which when she pulled back and raved on the plan she had thanks to him. Sentry was essentially paralyzed in place by the spontaneity and rapid act of gratitude.

“That’s it then! We still have Fluttershy, Rainbow, and Applejack! I bet they have enough magic to restore ours, just as I’m sure Pinkie did when she wished for me to get well and somehow put a bit of her mana in me, effectively saving me from a severe case of magic withdrawal, “Flash!! I LOVE you!”

She kissed him again before leaping off the couch to do some research and text the girls before they went to sleep. What she didn’t realize was she had given him his first kiss, and he was nothing more than a pile of leaves the wind could blow over and scatter across the yard. She wouldn’t notice him until she sat back down twenty minutes later with a plan in the works and the calls made, he needed to likely be home soon or else his parents would probably have a fit if he stayed over at her place.

Convention Center: The Next Day

The event had been well underway for the early birds, having missed the lines and signed up well in advance. Those smart few had received the first glances at the big Apple and Equine show, featuring the latest goods that made Equestria such a hot place to go. From the finest horses and mustangs of top condition and health well sought after, to the farm produce and the world’s sweetest tasting apples that boasted a high nutritional content. The first floor had been set up as the demo and lecture floor, where businesses coming to see their future racing equines or police mounts and horse enthusiasts talk with the handlers who raised them. Rooms were given to discussions of proper humane and ethical treatment of the big stallions which yielded better quality animals as well as how to run a farm. The second level sported more lecture halls on farming and products from the orchards, talks about agriculture and how it impacted the environment as well as business practices. Farmers who were well versed in taking care of the land spoke of their tried and true methods, which not only saved them money, but benefited many in turn. Of course the third level was the crowning part of the entire convention itself, the Expo where every single item ever made or the best stallions to come out of Equestria were put on show to act as the owners billboard to future customers in and out of the country. Everything was top quality from the biggest squash and the most succulent tomatoes, to the finest hand crafted cider and popular foods Equestria could pump out.

All of this had become the most boring thing Aria and Adagio had ever done, waiting for the performance hour to begin they had arrived early. All this farm related jargon found no purchase in the girls until they came to the few farms which gave out tastes of their best meats. The one thing they got out of the stomaching the incessant talk about corn and apples or horses and pigs.

“Posideon’s trident these humans are obnoxious even more than Sonata about all this crap!” Aria grabbed her face and pulled on the skin as the hands slid down, “Feels like my heads going to explode!”

The head siren nodded absentmindedly, “Yes yes, I’m aware of it too, seems only Sonata can handle this like an alicorn. Of course she is Sonata after all.” Adagio rolled her eyes as the wayward siren lifted up a piglet and rub noses with it, to which she found absolutely disgusting.

Aria managed to spot a clock on the cream colored walls of the huge exhibit hall, “Thankfully we only got half an hour left before the biggest show we’ve ever done starts, just wanna get this over with and leave. I feel filthy being among these… things.” She said as she brushed herself off like she’d been covered in ants.

“Well we can head over now and sit in those chairs, we are first in line anyways so perhaps it would suit us to rehearse a little?” Dazzle suggested as she check her spell binding clothing for the concert for grit.

“PLEASE!! I really need to get away from anything to do with farming!” Aria complained as she made her way to the exiting escalators.

Tolerating the irate girl’s behavior, Adagio took to the petting pens and tapped the cerulean girl’s shoulder. She had brought up a chicken to her chest and calmly petted the feathered bird in her arms, it cooed strangely as if it delighted in the touch. The Rhode Island Red closed her eyes and seemed at peace with the faux human, which drew those nearby to gawk and take pictures at the cute scene. A ponytail blue haired girl in designer clothing holding a placid egg laying bird, some thought this was a model visiting for a photo op.

“Ah’ve never seen betty ever take to someone like that. I reckon she’d leap and claw her way out of some kids arms than stay put, ya’ll gotta be some kinda animal whisperer or sumthin?” the red and white plaid shirted man scratched his teal hair in confusion.

The golden siren broke through the growing crowd of fans, “Yes she has a thing for small creatures, they just seem to love her for some reason. Now, be a dear and put the big bird down, our show’s going to start soon.” Her order was met with reluctance and a frown appeared on Sonata’s face as well as the folks around them.

“Awe… I really wanted to pet the llamas too! Oh well, bye bye miss Betty the Chicken! Miss you!” she gave the farewell to everyone as they departed the room with haste.

“You can have all the chickens you want when we get back to Equestria, but now’s not the time! We need to rehearse and make sure all is perfect.” Words hissed through her clenched teeth as Adagio led the happy go lucky girl down the escalator Aria disappeared to.

PreviousChapters Next