• Published 6th May 2016
  • 4,170 Views, 66 Comments

The Siren's Remorse - TheronSniper



With the Dazzlings pendants shattered and their bodies fully human, they are left to life's machinations. However, a fellow banished soul might be the key to returning their former selves and taking revenge with a gout of flame.

  • ...
19
 66
 4,170

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 3 Catching a Break

Ch. 3 Catching a Break

Twilight’s departure back home was not joyous or a fond farewell till the next time as the girls sort of hoped for. Despite the fact she had her duties to keep with and everypony who missed her until she returned from another dimension, recent events had marred what would have been hugs and goodbyes. At the breakfast shop Sunset and Twilight had earlier visited, the reconstructed siren gemstone had disappeared without a trace. They deduce that it left their hands whenever that stranger had slipped and landed on their table. True, no human being could use it as they would have to be magically trained to activate the release, but the fact it was missing wasn’t sitting very well with the former element of magic.

The incident was brought up with the girls as they crowded around the portal between both worlds, Twilight had done her best to not make it sound like another evil villain was around the corner. Through the use of positive thinking she managed to curtail a blighted farewell into boastful jubilance that she'd find proof that their world was safe indefinitely from the missing artifact. After Sunset and now the Dazzlings, they needed a normal life to go back to and not begin to feel like the portal would harken another world shaking disaster. With the girls surrounding her in a group hug, Sparkle heard their last parting thoughts she knew she couldn't stave completely away.

"So are ya sure there's noth'in to be worried about?" Applejack asked as she let the otherworldly magical entity go.

"For all we know those three probably had that guy do that on purpose! I mean that's what I'd do if someone ruined my leg in a high stakes tournament!" Rainbow fussed with her arms crossed when she earned a gasp from Rarity, "Harsh I know, okay... okay... if I was them at least I'd have secretly tried to get my things back so it would look like an accident."

Twilight knew Dash meant well with her rather underhanded commentary and patted her on the shoulder, "Girls, really its just a... battery as you call them at this point. You see certain gems that are sensitive to magic, which means they can be engraved with spells and diagrams for casting. Any unicorn or alicorn can activate the magic imbued onto the stone, but once the matrix is broken there is no way of simply gluing the shards back together as Spike might say." she giggled lightly, "It has to be bypassed with an amending spell that uses the fragments of the original network which is tricky enough without my full magic. Even as we speak the only binding material keeping the gem together is a sliver of my own mana, it will not last long however without me to restore the magic. Without knowing the whole conduit and the alterations I made it won't function properly or at all. I doubt the sirens actually even crafted them at all, there's nothing really about them beside their encroachment onto Canterlot back in their time. So at best they'd just be throwing a rock." Twilight smiled reassuringly to ease the group who seemed lost to the details.

"Oh I do hope they're okay, they could be like Sunset was and feel bad about doing what they did?" Fluttershy's kindness sprouted, "Maybe we should go and find them? Maybe without those awful pendants, they'll be sorry for what they did? Perhaps they weren't entirely at fault for their actions?"

With a wave of the hand to dismiss the assumption, "Darling, I'm sure they'll get along just fine somewhere else in this world, just not here at least. They may not have their enchanting song, but they still have their wits to become something... productive I guess? I mean after being so crass and conniving... something tells me those pendants were not influencing their behavior at all. And I should know!" Rarity tutted, being a connoisseur of fashion meant she knew when an exchange of words were honest or down right mean.

"If it was just their gems that we destroyed, they're human now and like me they can find their niche in this world. As much as it might pain me to say it, they're nothing like me Fluttershy. Remember what Twilight said about them, they are ancient beings of disharmony, who knows how many hundreds if not thousands of years they have been trying to gain power to sing everyone and everypony into a perpetual life of fighting and hatred for one another!", Shimmer joined in with a shake of her head, "But if it means that much to you, we can try to keep tabs on them. Assuming they haven't left town of course."

"Well... if you do see them, try to be nice and at least form some kind of friendship. They may of been creatures of Discord's favor, but no one should be without friends especially when they're disarmed of any means to go back to the way they were?" Twilight insisted when she noticed the close minded nature of the group starting to peak through, even with the magical bond they shared they were still another race entirely.

"You got it! So we're on the look out for suspicious activity and any Dazzling plots to be on the safe side. Right! You can count on us Princess!" Dash proclaimed with a thumbs up and a wide grin.

"With Sunset here, we ain't gonna face anything we can't handle. Don't you fret non." the farm girl chuckled as everyone offered leeway for the princess to move.

"If they've really changed into goodie good people, then I'll be sure to throw them a 'I'm Reformed' party to celebrate! They'll never know a better party ever, unless I throw an even bigger one later." Pinkie jumped with a fist pump before giving one last great bear hug to Twilight as a send off.

"I'll be sure to help them transition into this world, like that one time I helped rehabilitate a mountain lion and released it back into the wild." Shy had earned a questioning look from Sparkle at the mention of a lion, at least she could rely on the animal whisperer to keep sympathy among the Rainbooms no matter how wronged they were.

"Be sure to visit soon Twilight, you've given me some new ideas for a whole line inspired by the Battle of the Bands that I need you to help me try on. So be safe darling!" Rarity reached Twilight's hand and gave a gentle squeeze, leaving a pair of unique earrings she had chose earlier in the morning as a present.

Noticing the mixture of excitement and sorrow over her leave Sparkle nodded to everyone, "Thank you for the gift Rarity, thank you everyone! I wish you well until the next time I return! Hopefully by then I'll have a better understanding about the sirens and their magic."

With her hand clutching the jewelry like a fond love as if she'd never see the others again, “Don’t worry Sunset, I’m going to get to the bottom of this and return as soon as I can. If it was just grabbed by accident or just fell out of our reach then I doubt we’ll have much cause to worry. Unless they knew of it somehow… but we can’t just assume evil is the root right? Stay strong everyone, we'll figure this out in no time.” she grasped hold of the former unicorn and squeezed her with a tight embrace to which she felt reciprocation.

“I’ll be on the lookout for any magical subterfuge, if they use it that is. We still have some magic left in us after stopping the Dazzlings, so if worst comes to bare I have no doubt we'll give them a run for their bits! Isn't that right everyone!?” Sunset chuckled as the two let go of one another.

The departure time neared ever painfully closer as the girls began to run out of things to say, it still felt too early for the parties to separate after such a battle. Half the group expected to share at least two more days of fun times with the princess and relish in the after glow with the rest of Canterlot High. Though the remaining had enough grounding to know if their world endured such a thing there was no doubt Equestria had its far more constant episodes of villains trying their own hands as well. While painful to admit a farewell it was a necessary evil to see their magical friend vanish through the statue, a sour note they all hid very well. For Sunset however, she remained focused on the defeated who remained in the back of her mind like a stubborn weed that wouldn't die in the cracks of the driveway.

‘So long as those three are not involved that is…’ she thought to herself as Twilight's body phased past the blinding white light of a cross dimensional slip space, in a blink of the eye they were once more by themselves on a saturday morning.

Applejack was the first to shake her from the thoughts on the moment, for her it was like any other family reunion or get together with out of town family. It would be great on the first day as well as doused with the need to be inseparable as their vehicle coughed into readiness to take them away once more. Cousins, uncles, aunts, distant nephews and nieces shared a time at Sweet Apple Acres only to leave for their own homes that awaited their talents and hard work to reap a new harvest of their own. The farmer knew she needed to whip up the others back into good moods or else nothing would get done in any respect.

Adjusting her stetson perfectly upon her blonde locks, “Now ah don’t think it’s might healthy to be all worry’n about some broken jewel. So why don’t ya come with us for a little band practice? Ah think we could always use a good sing'n session for Twilight dont'cha think?” Applejack hung an arm over Sunset's shoulders as she began to lead her towards the school's front doors.

As if the rest fell in line with the wordless affirmation to their next task of the day and overcome the goodbye fatigue, “Ya, those Dazzlings won’t ever show their sorry faces here ever again. So some street urchin grabbed that broken jewel that Twilight put together? She said it was nothing but a battery, heck it probably has just enough juice to recharge my phone?!” Rainbow sneered at the pitiful state of the pendant that once turned her upon her own friends.

“Ohh I bet I could have fit it to that new big Blenda 6000 batter mixer we’re having to upgrade at Sugar Cube Corner! That way the bakery won’t have to pay for a whole new breaker and outlet socket to operate it?” Pinkie’s ever bubbly attitude livened Sunset even more with the hilarious idea of putting the siren's power to a more practical use.

“Honestly deary, a lady shouldn’t dwell on worry like this, it’ll lead to early onset crow’s feet around your eyes. You’ll age faster too!” Rarity added with a gentle hand on Shimmer’s left shoulder with her own beauty advise.

“If I ever see that man I'll be sure as rain to tell you first thing Sunset. That’s if it's okay to do…” Fluttershy mumbled quietly as she feared causing a ruckus even if for a good reason.

The amber haired girl felt the metaphorical weight on her back lift off by the suddenness of her friends. Such was her new beginning at Canterlot High still among such trusted faces even if they were the few, the support she needed came willingly and without strings attached as for that she cherished the bonds. How she was always brought back to regret being so hostile and self entitled when she first came through the portal. So much time lost and many relationships yet amended from the disaster she created not long ago. All hopes banked on her helping defeat the sirens so that the student body might let her have a little more line to be trusted with. She wouldn't waste it nor never again, she was in it for the community and others this time no matter the costs. Deep down it was as genuine to worry about a reprisal if it were to affect the town like some retaliatory drive by she saw on the news in other cities. Never would the sirens be allowed to harm another person while she was on the watch tower.

“Thanks girls…” she replied as the group headed off to the music department for their little room they often used, though as she turned a momentary blur crossed the peripherals of her right eye like a darting cat.

It was only for a second, but it seemed like someone was out there or was across the main road in front of the school. The lack of any rustling foliage in the hedges where she saw the streak head into only served to jar her only slightly, she could only assume it was just a trick of the mind under stressful duress. The glowing energy of friendship was comforting her to the point her paranoia was placated enough to not cause her further trouble. The feel of the school's air conditioning stamped the feeling into place as the cool dry atmosphere kissed the flesh of her face and neck like a wash of cold water. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to take some time away from worrying about things?

One Week Later, The Homeless Dazzlings...

Time had come and gone like an sloth meandering through a banana tree farm, uneventful as it were dull with nothing productive to be had. Ever since the former siren trio had learned the fate of their pendant shards it had been very detrimental to their morale, it had left only the bubbliest member unfazed as she made the most of their situation. The next few days they had saved their bits for the purest necessities such as food, during the night without a place to stay they wondered around in a cabbie to take them somewhere safe after their feet lead them astray. Adagio hadn't yet to learn the map of the large town which seemed ever expansive and bigger within, over the course of the week they had ended up in someplace new every day. Store fronts to apartments, commercial plazas to industrial parks they earned new information though it wouldn't serve them any good.

The fear of leaving the town to buy tickets for bus fair was still out of the question, Adagio could only see the same concrete jungle awaiting them elsewhere with the difference being no Rainbooms. It wasn't the best circumstance to be placed in but they soon happened upon a gold nugget in the form of a major truck stop at the end of the week, one which catered to travelers as well as freighters that arrived to take away new exports from the farmlands somewhere in the outskirts of Equestria town. Adagio took the little oasis like a lost soul in an acrid desert, they desperately needed the facilities to clean up with the hesitation of wasting what few hundred bits they had left. It was long decided that they'd keep funds for food and keeping clean instead of a roof over their heads. They were once sirens after all, creature comforts were nothing more than perk they had no need for or so Dazzle figured.

It was known as the Lucky Horseshoe Truck Stop, for whose name came from the girls hadn't a care for. It was open to anyone with the funds to utilize their goods, washing machines, and showers that the Dazzlings embraced if not as sour as they had unfortunately been left to become. A giant sign greeted them upon their arrival, a giant horse shoe with a green clover over it on top of a yellow lit rectangular sign high above the black asphalt parking lot that was yards around. As late as it was the lot was still somewhat busy with traffic but no one really paid them any attention. The distant scream of tires on a highway echoed in the distance, the interstate that had once brought them from another nearby town far smaller than Equestria. Their headlights could be seen clear as day in the early morning hours, thought the dawning sun was soon due to make its rise into the sky untouched by an ethereal alicorn.

"Come one, before the morning rush arrives." Dazzle ordered of her lesser subordinates, eager to wash up and get something in their never ending hunger for physical foods and drink.

Aria huffed, "We're moving, we're moving." letting out a groan she quickly stifled after a quick over the shoulder glance from the messy curls of her better, she wasn't in the mood to put up with anything it seemed.

Sonata however toyed with a tiny beetle which crashed into her face, attracted to the large overhead lights of the parking areas. The orange carapace and black beady little eyes absorbed her every thought as she petted it, the little legs looking for purchase beyond her lone index finger. Two feathered antennae moved like another set of limbs, the beetle was in search of a mate but had been unfortunate in its trajectory coming too close to the bright white lights. Dusk figured she'd send it on its way before they went inside the store, humans were often adverse to insects even though she liked them like any other creature.

"Little guy is just too cute! Be free my new found friend!" Dusk hollered taking the insect into a fist and throwing it into the air as if it were a ball, it hadn't gotten far before a black bird swooped down and took it.

"Aww... it's gone?" she mourned.

"Just like our pendants." Aria murmured.

"SHUT it! The sooner I can get under some hot water the sooner I won't need to throttle either of you." the two hushed up instant under the threat of dominance from the amber girl.

Dusk swallowed to clear her clenched throat and hid behind her fellow, a small family had just left their Sedan when they overheard. Aria noticed the mother give them a weird look and knew it was targeted towards the most irritable of them, a hand held tightly over her sons arm as she kept him close to her side.

After a minute walking over hard ground they stepped onto the concrete walkway and into the side entrance, large black framed glass doors instantly opened upon the break of the infrared beam sensors. With the sliding of the large doors that could fit five human adults side by side, came the blast of cool refreshing air and the smell of fresh food, coffee, and cleaning supplies. Inside were lights and signs geared towards encouraging the purchase of the assorted goods that were offered. As enticing as it were even Sonata still knew the wrath of her leader and figeted with her fingers to keep herself busy, even as her mouth watered at the packaged pastries and brightly wrapped dried meats that met their initial presence. Not to far off was the food area where stations for ready to assemble breakfast awaited customers and the crisp gurgling of brewing coffee teased Aria's ears. Even for her she managed to maintain clarity by sharing Dazzle's desires, she was still a siren in soul and heart who wouldn't give into being glutenous hairless apes.

They soon encountered an employee that was mopping the aisles of bagged snacks and the walkway before the refrigerated beverages behind glass doors, "Excuse me?" Adagio inquired with no feeling in the words.

The teal skinned young man looked up through uncut bangs and headphones playing some new modern hit his age group favored, "Ya? How can I help ya?" he replied similarly nonchalantly.

He observed the drab ex-singer with little care as if he'd been working at the truck stop for many years, "My sisters and I need to pay for the shower stalls, where can I do that?" the look of exhaustion in her eyes spoke volumes but her magenta irises still held their vigor.

He nodded and pointed to the front with a lazy thumb, "Licorice Cake can help you up front." he gandered at the used hoodie and sweatpants that were sullied with grim, "Washers and dryers are bit operated, one service takes care of both. Soaps provided."

Adagio gave a little growl barely audible to the mopping boy knowing he judged her dirty form so soon, "Good." she was in no mood to be judged by the youth.

With a quick turn on the heels she left to the checkout with the trailing set of eyes of the employee to roll as soon as they left his area and return to the boring task of maintenance. Aria and Sonata followed suit trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible, Blaze occasionally slapping the other's hand that barely attempted to grab some salted seeds or glass jars of white chip dip she hungered for like a mother watching a child.

The line they happened upon was thankfully small and fortunate for them as well, there was no telling how tiny a fuse Dazzle had on her. Immediately, they were beset by more marketing that made even their performance lacking at the musical tournament, how the humans even operated under such sensory overload befuddled Aria. If the shelves of candy below the register counter on their side and the over the counter medicine rack behind the one called Licorice was an introduction. It made Sonata all the more harder to rein in as she received a wider view of the store, plush toys to metal trinkets, travel cups to the hot dog rollers, churning slushie machines and the vehicle parts portion further down the right pathway was like a laser to a cat.

"Calm DOWN you idiot!!" Aria hissed pinching the cerulean girl's left ear, yanking her back to her side in pain after she tried to wonder off for the third time.

"OWIE OWIE OWWW!!" she cried before murmuring the same thing as she rubbed the afflicted flesh.

Adagio had just stepped up to the cashier whose name did not detract from how she appeared, long black hair that bore a hint of red at the ends seemed almost as luscious as her own orange curls in their finest state. She was a cheerful one at that who wore a smile at every second she helped someone pay for items or gas at one of the pumps. Cake's creamy skin reminded her of a sweet coconut custard she had partaken in long ago back in the meager good times, for a service clerk she seemed to be well taken care of. A job she might look into herself and possibly the other two fools following her to the ends of the worlds.

"Hello and welcome to the Lucky Horseshoe! How can I help you?" she introduced with fingers interlacing both hands together on the counter, the cheer seemed almost abrasive to Adagio's haggared senses.

With little reaction to the jovial girl, "How much for the use of three stalls back there, my sisters and I would like to clean up after... walking miles since our... car broke down." she said making the story up as she went.

"Oh I'm so sorry to hear that, seems strange that old man Tassel Harvest didn't see ya on the road? He's like the local truck mechanic who helps anyone who gets stuck out there if your close enough. Guess you really had to walk that far I'm guess'n?" Licorice seemed troubled by the assumed distance the three likely went on foot, empathy evident in her face even without their pendants to aid in emotional detection.

"Yes yes, we're fine but we really need to clean up. How much?" she insisted on forgoing small talk out of the need to smell clean and feel free of the human filth she felt itch across every inch of her forsaken skin.

The cashier seemed to think for a moment while the other clerk to her right took care of another customer behind the Dazzlings, she tapped her chin until she went to the register and typed in an amount. Much to Dazzle's chagrin of already being billed before being told of the price, she waited still to avoid blowing up over what might be nothing being tired as she was. There was no point in getting easily angered anymore, they were sullen to the bone since that fateful day so little could take root.

"It'll be ten bits for stall eight, I'll give you a discount so you don't have to pay thirty for two extra ones. No time limit so feel free to take your time, the hot water heater can stand rush hour so you'll be clean in no time! I hope this will be okay for you?" Cake asked with a hopeful smile edging along the corners of her lips as her finger awaited to hit the button to run the amount.

With a sigh of relief and the luck that happened upon them the cold hard look melted into something more accommodating, "That'll be fine. Here." she deposited the bits from a small purse she pulled out of a pocket in her jacket, "We'll also be buying some new cloths soon, I just wanted to see the cost of the showers first." she handed ten gold coins onto the counter top and thumbed over to the ten foot area of Lucky Horseshoe memorabilia from basic underwear to pants and shirts.

"I understand, here's your ticket you insert into the wall device next to the stall you'll be using. Don't lose it or else you'll need to pay for another... and I kinda don't want to get into trouble for giving too many of these away either if you catch my drift?" she grinned nervously with the little green piece of paper that Adagio snatched away quickly vanished into her purse.

"Like anyone would want to steal from us." with a venomous tone not directly aimed at the cashier, the three ventured off for a new pair of attire to wear while their street cloths were to be sanitized.

Having no one else to help Cake glanced at her coworker next to her just as he finished with the old man that proceeded out the doors with a package of donuts and a cup of hot coffee, "Tough life some folks have I guess?" she noted.

"I'd be that way if I had to walk miles to a gas station with showers." the plum purple boy with ivory hair shrugged as he closed the register.

"Isn't Tassel like thirty miles away?" she asked innocently as it dawned on her.

For a moment the reply was delayed as he tried to recollect Harvest normal route, "Ya ,come to think of it... huh? They had to have jogged their way here or else spend more than a day out in the country for that to be the case?"

The two eyed the three that were hastily and groggily selecting what amounted to spontaneous picks of fashion with utter abandon, it was almost as if the strange girls were simply needing attire to get out of town. Then again the workers knew not to judge too harshly, folks came to the town of Equestria for two day vacations and had so much to cover in so little time. Others of course used the route that passed through to get to Manehatten miles away for work and such, the odd behavior drew no further insight as they went back to their jobs.

"Harsh life for some folks I guess?" the other employee whispered as a mother and two kids appeared with bags of salty snacks and bottled soda.

All by themselves as the yet early morning rush hadn't arrived, Dazzle calmly swept through the rack of hanging jackets thinking of little else. It would be a short reprieve however, as no sooner as they began searching for anything worth the bits did the two dunderheads ruin the peace from buzzing drink dispensers and the door chime.

"Ugh! It's either dark blue or pure white with these! Stain or bake in the heat like a stranded beached shark!" Aria lamented the lack of any useful fabric, they had rarely even needed to worry about such things back then.

"It's fine, just get what you want so we can get to that stall, the longer we stay like we are the more I feel we're being... noticed." Adagio warned as she occasionally looked around them for wondering eyes though there was no one anywhere within their personal space, but something triggered the reaction she couldn't let go.

Dusk waved her things before her leader, "I got mmmyyyyy stuff!"

The aloof girl jiggled the plastic tidy whites, denim jeans, and a rare orange shirt that had been the last of its color all of which were sporting the store's emblem. Dazzle brushed them aside before thrusting her face into the cerulean girl's own, fury crawled all over her facial features like a college student working three jobs and a semester's worth of classwork under little sleep. She didn't have time for her antics much less the situation they were in.

"That's fine Sonata, now wait over there!" she ordered and pointed to an open booth along the wall closest to the parking lot in the front, "Don't move from that spot are we clear?!"

The brash authority hit its mark and Sonata withdrew nervously grinning as she feared angering the matriarch any further, "Righty-O Adagio! I'll... just be over there then... not doing anything."

Aria chuckled under her breathe holding her clothing of choice, seeing the fool among them finally put into place made her feel a sense of normalcy and calm once more. She leered at the pony tail that vanished behind a shelf of chips and dip like a scolded child going to the corner of the room. It felt as if the last few days Sonata had gotten worse, even she felt her spite towards others only expanded further to the point she very rarely wasn't annoyed. The joys of being human she guessed, the idea of the hot shower appearing as tantalizing as a nice juicy steak of marlin before her. Aria needed the feel of water on her skin and she was eager to make it happen, knowing the place had toiletries somewhere she departed the clothing spot in search of the necessities. She could feel the need for a clean mouth after the cheap meals Dazzle made them ingest, fatty sugary things that settled like lead bricks in her stomach.

With the modicum of tolerable sound aside from the hiss of a teenager filling a huge cup from the machine or the slap of the hot dog warmer closing as someone seated a sausage link in a bun. Adagio breathed in deeply before letting it go slowly, she felt the nylon in her hand as she starred into the white jacket. Her fingers felt every fiber smoothly crafted into the overpriced item, she couldn't help but feel something akin to kelp as fuzzy as the memory was. It had become harder to corral her packmates in unlike before, even her own mind seemed to be foggy with a tired haze diluting her next course of action. It as the primary reason they wandered the town with no real destination. Was she slipping somehow?

The jacket was put back on the display as she wondered what was to become of them without their pendants, 'I feel like a dull knife that only days ago could cut through metal. What's happening to us?'

A portly man and his screaming kid turned the corner from the energy bar aisle to which she shut her eyes to shut out the racket. The little abomination was not getting what it wanted, in utter defiance of the adults choice it squealed to show its frustration. The mother soon appeared from the restrooms down the hallway that connected the store to a shared area where a burger joint operated. She was already trying to calm the youngling down a few feet away, it was agonizing to hear which she ground her flat teeth as a means to escape the cacophony and not blow up at the three. Noisy humans and their Tartarus offspring, how uncouth they were and as repugnant, at least siren young were only vocal if they were unfed or afraid. How many times did the hairless apes have rebellious clutches who merely acted out because they found satisfaction in it, it was too many to count from her own experience among them.

'Trapped in this world is worse than imprisonment in Tartarus! By the deep sea I need that shower...' she thought to herself before vacating the particular portion of the huge truck stop.

She spotted Aria in the other half of the store scouring through a small lane of products, it wasn't until she walked up to her did she see what Blaze was doing. She had been picking up soap, tooth brushes, toothpaste, and small bottles of shampoo that were necessary to cure their unfortunate state. A day in the sun meant sweat that usually went unwashed unless they found a stream in a park, they had only done that once. Even then it was a cold wash at night to avoid park rangers from catching them, sure enough Sonata nearly caught an illness from indulging in the fresh stream. Thankfully being their leader she sought a quick remedy though it cost bits.

She waited for the hot headed girl to finish and stood behind her, 'At least she's pragmatic I'll give her that. Always the first to let her words speak before a filter, but she's good when it comes to adaptive behavior. No wonder she constantly tries to take the reins.'

In her musing she continued to watch over her own until she seemed to twitch, after ceasing her search for anything else the twin ponytails swirled as the girl looked back. Seeing someone just appear out of no where especially with no sound to have picked up, Blaze dropped half of what she was holding as she caught her soul in her throat.

"GAAAAHH!!" she cried.

A slight wince came from the abrupt startle that stung her ears, "I can hear you just fine! No need to fear me, though I know it's only proper to do so." Dazzle grinned as she rubbed the affected ear with an open palm.

Aria's chest rose and fell as she tried to regain a steady heartbeat, her wide eyes spoke of her temporary fright far more than any words would. The shock soon fell into disdain that was just as palpable given the furrowed brows, a small growl escaped her parted lips with clenched teeth clamping down in near pain. Just as expected she had a bark but no bite, the dropped items hastily gathered back into her arms as she starred the down the puff of hot air.

"I figured we'd need stuff like this, guess that's the thanks I get for helping!" Aria huffed before stomping away to likely where Sonata waited patiently.

Magenta eyes tracked her path until the vanilla metal shelves hid her from sight, but the pounding of her shoes indicated her existence until the ambiance of the truck stop filled in with static. Adagio lost her mirth as if realizing what happened was not her doing but almost of someone sleep deprived. She shook her head as if she had been dream walking, and stood before a completely totaled bedroom and none the wiser to why it occurred.

Was it her intention to surprise her subordinate like that much less say such words? Why she had done so was a mystery her muggy mind had trouble discerning, a groan left her throat following a quick rub of her temples. She shouldn't have done that especially when they were so far down the sinkhole, of all sirens why did she act like that? What was happening to them, what was becoming of her under such duress?

Then, just like a spontaneous announcement over the intercom of the station to broadcast the ready meal of some unknown someone, an eloquent masculine voice pipped up, "Reminds me of my sister and I, you must be the oldest I presume?"

Dazzle looked about and around, her eyes hunting for the source of the commentary until a tall well dressed man materialized to her left. Some kind of businessman who appeared silhouetted by a display behind him, light boxes of many colors and others straight bright white shone nearly as bright as metal carriage lights. She could make out a suit worn by important humans, long pressed pants and polished shoes were the best she could make out at first. A hand went up to block out the glaring pain until they were shut off by the very person talking. How she had not sensed him was an even greater ghastly thought she quelled for the moment, whether it was her own fault or if the man was something else she'd learn soon enough.

After the last of the lights dimmed it became apparent as to who exactly was engaging her in a conversation, "Fancy place this is? Never thought I'd see one like this back home to be quite honest?" the Englishman admitted while taking a sip from a hot cup of liquid smelling strangling of citrus and lemon, "Convenience at its finest if I do say so myself?"

At that moment she could feel her body come alive by the mere proximity of the stranger, her head felt as if it were clearing from the mud that slowed the gears. As if she'd taken a long nap by accident only to wake up two hours later with a daze that wronged the next waking moments ever so badly. The point of which she recovered from the excessive rest was the summary of her status, but why it came out of the deep Mareina Trench when a stranger arrived was confounding. She studied him quickly focusing on his face, a little longer than most humans with a robust chin that gave the hint of a strong jaw. Saffron yellow skin stood out from the malachite green hair that had been carefully trimmed into something of an old style she remembered back in their hay day. A classic short cut on the back and sides, low sides that went down to the skin and faded on the hair line. The lengthiest portion sat on top and combed back, giving the likeness of a rolling wave crashing onto a beach. For someone like her who deeply cared about her own former glorious curls which would soon be remedied, she appreciated good grooming as was customary with all sirens.

"Shame the quality of their products suffers because of it. But it serves its purpose I suppose, chipper that lov?" his commentary seemed relaxed and jovial while still inside the establishment he jokingly jabbed at.

Dazzle stepped back still adjusting to the strange burst of alertness and energy her body seemed to acquire, she was sure it was nothing close to adrenaline. That was a chemical she knew as if it were an ancient relative near and dear to her.

"Don't know... haven't had anything from here yet." she flatly state, putting more distance in each slow step with the odd human.

He chuckled daintily as if he heard a sarcastic reply that tickled his funny bone, "Well I'll give you a tip, unless you're on a budget I wouldn't eat or drink anything from here. Well, enjoy the morning where ever you and your friends or sisters are going."

With a short wave the man left the store as if nothing was wrong, a two click chime signalling his exit and a relief for Adagio to breath easy. Goosebumps had formed along her arms and legs even though her body was becoming rather warm, the hair on her scalp stood up even long after the area was clear of anyone else she'd consider a caution. Pausing only to look at her left arm which she flexed to feel its dexterity, each pull of the muscles and tendons triggered every nerve associated with the action. Something she hadn't felt in a while as even walking to the truck stop her legs were somewhat numb to most of everything but fatigue.

"What the whirlpool was that about?" she asked no one in particular as the ecstatic sense of being alive filled her with excitement.

Eerily familiar to the time Sonata had given her a small red bottle that she had thought was a sugary treat, only for it to turn out to be an energy shot far stronger than Aria's coffee habit. The bolt slammed into her hard just as when they fell out of the portal into the god forsaken world by Starswirl. Only in this instance it was far more pleasant to feel and it all surmounted to almost floating on the calm waves of open ocean on a sunny day. Tolerance for everything and anything reformed to the point that she almost felt back to the way things were if only slightly. Yet a quick feel of her neck quickly ensured she knew they were still gemless, but that the sensation was indeed of an outside source.

"That's twice already that's happened. I have a feeling someone is doing this..." she whispered before heading off to locate her foolish juveniles and be done with the facility quickly as possible.

She quickly found her packmates while ignoring the glances from Licorice and her coworker, the two seemed utterly stunned as much as she. Sonata seemed abnormally placid while Blaze seemed enamored with her own limbs, likely feeling her own body with such acuteness.

"GIRLS!! Girls..." Dazzle nearly shouted, holding back just enough to not worry the cashiers or the mopping boy still at work.

"Adagio..." Dusk gasped almost as if she were about to shed tears of joy.

"I feel... alive?" Blaze added as she hugged herself caring not that the others witnessed.

Their dear leader stood before the evidence of what she figured was the case, rejuvenation born of magic that helped them recover from the dour decay she felt was happening. That's all it had to be since they were but loathsome humans, why the sudden spring in their steps from no source at all?

"Listen to me! We're being tracked somehow but by who I don't know, it seems as if they want us to be aware of their presence if we're all feeling the same thing. Don't you feel amazing!? Oh and don't ask me why I think they're even helping us by doing this." she said hoping they were on the same level as her.

"You mean I feel like myself again because they're... helping us? Who though?" Dusk tilted her head as she happily cleared her eyes from the moisture that built up along the edges, knocking her clothing items off the table booth by accident.

Dazzle sighed, "I said don't ask." giving a scornful glare back.

Aria's subtle ecstasy gradually gave way like the end of a flood from a released dam, "Why? Why would anyone be doing this? How is this even helping! We have nothing left, so why make us feel it all that much clearer!? We were better off dull and tired... at least it was easier to..."

Adagio bit her bottom lip as she too realized there had to be a reason beyond prolonging their reality. Were they leading them up to something like a human holding a treat for their pet? Hitting rock bottom really make them appear as little more than opportunities to exploit and with magic of all things?

"Look, I know it's a leap of faith to believe this is even magic to say, but don't you feel as if you still had your gems?! I know I and I mean we will never bow to another no matter what they might offer, but what if there is a chance we could benefit from this somehow if indeed someone is behind this?" she offered a penny for their thoughts.

"You mean like maybe tricking them? But we don't have our pendants, they're shattered and... lost?" Sonata sounded depressed when she revisited the memory of feeling the broken shards between her fingers that night.

Dazzle agreed, "Yes I'm painfully aware of that as we all are. But remember how the Rainbooms possessed Equestrian magic?! They're humans who had none, they shouldn't have any semblance of mana to begin with! We've been on this dead rock for nearly two thousand wretched years!!" to which she did let loose loud enough to stop everyone in the main lobby.

It took her a few seconds to notice the lack of talking around them and when it happened she clammed up, then proceeded to grab all the items from the other two. She made her way to Cake and paid the bits with little said between them, it seemed even the cashier was flabbergasted by the admittance. Dazzle didn't need nor want anyone seeing them as crazed lunatics for that would draw the wrong type of attention, thus after the clothing and toiletries were bagged she made a smooth quiet stroll to the shower stalls two halls away. A snap of the fingers and the others followed without a peep, leaving the store to whom all else tried to figure out what was happening with them.

Silently the trio arrived at the numbered stall and Adagio entered the ticket, being the first in the pecking order she deposited their fresh attire still in the bag on the tile floor for Aria to keep an eye on. Though she did snag the soap and dental hygiene products, then quickly without further words began the immersion into a steaming hot rinse. With her packmates guarding the door she was sure that she'd get a moment to herself while she washed up, the energy from somewhere needed to be addressed.

Adagio put a bare foot into the stall itself as the room was divided into two parts, the dressing area and the shower itself. Having already stripped herself naked and folded her dirty laundry into a neat pile, the feel of the fresh water cascading upon her flesh was something only Poseidon could gift as her mother often said. What should have burned immediately turned into a strangely cool sensation of sorts that she embraced like a wash of a cool wave. It tingled even as she progressed both her legs under the purifying liquid and gradually placed herself under the full rain, it felt as if her very soul melted with the first ever proper shower she had in a long time.

Their pendants magic had done much of the work with cleansing spells to keep them pristine and beautiful, without them they were left to their own ferment. It was a far cry from the ice cold bath in the park stream that she knew for certain, either which worked but in this way she had everything scalded off.

She blushed once her head submerged under the shower head, it was as if her own body had a mind of its own. Separate from the brain that owned it as it twitched and writhed in pleasure, to be clean once more and be rid of the debris that naturally lodged in her bushy head of hair brought a whole other kind of joy for her to indulge in.

"Hmmm... by the gods this hits the spot!" she moaned, her curls deflated into a long stream of sun beams that dripped down her back nearly touching the stall floor.

Dazzle had knelt to her feet to gain the most of the wide spread rain, almost as if she were in the embrace of her mother once more. How long had it felt to feel so comfortable and secure, it was beyond her recollection for the moment as she let the experience unfold. A hand to the face caressed the skin and instantly she knew the hot water was doing its job well, loose dead skin layers felt like something which smudged easily in the first go. It meant every surface of her body underwent the same thing, every inch of grim and dirty would be caste freely and left only an immaculate body that even the humans would find irresistible.

Ten minutes passed as she simply sat under the water and nearly underwent a trance-like state, but the serenity lasted just enough before reality came back to shatter it as always. Aria's words echoed in her mind after a sneeze from the steam had her free from the immobile state. Why would anyone help them, and in doing so raise them from their sullen state so that they'd endure their bleak future with attentive eyes? Was it some kind of sadistic trick being played or was there something else afoot they hadn't the ability to comprehend?

She lowered her head till the pouring heat dripped in streams off her face and chin directly onto her thighs below, "Those two men... the officer and the suit... perhaps even the waitress I think? Were they really involved in the issue and to what ends? At least I'd have left the Rainbooms devoid of magic and in our predicament to suffer till the end came for them. It seems to be the only possible ruthless method of disposing of unnecessary vessels."

Adagio proceeded to begin cleaning up with soap and shampoo, rubbing herself thoroughly until not a speck of uncleanliness remained upon her person. The sensation coupled with the hot water eased her thoughts from going rampant, the bubbles and slick

"Starswirl did banish us to this place so that does mean there might be others here either before or after our exile. Perhaps they too wish to return to Equestria, but the issue is that we are the tools to their means. Not acceptable at all!" she groaned with a vigorous scrub of her scalp followed by a meticulous lather of her hip long locks.

"Maybe mother was right and these outsiders know about us somehow? Maybe we don't have a human life span but instead something... shorter without our powers? They're banking on us being desperate perhaps? Yes... that's got to be it!" she figured one possible theory as she put her brilliant mind into probing every possible manipulative manner even she would have exploited herself.

She spat out a bit of soap that got into her mouth which left a salty dry taste on the tip of her tongue, "We've been among these apes for years long before technology made their lives such a bore! Why now? It's the only reason behind it and we've been all over this landmass before losing our pendants and yet we've never encountered another magical being before that cursed school! We're being baited whether by those fools at that school or some opportunistic predator of some sorts. Yet..."

Her hand squeezed the lengthy hair tightly to remove any remaining lather, the curls attempted to reform but were kept subdued by the water and her ministrations. Having already rubbed her skin twice over she was ready to let the shower finalize the purity she then possessed leaving her to acknowledge their current condition against the odds. A young matriarch without a voice and the rest of her Dazzlings equally toothless, nothing else to look towards on their own path but the great sleep under the vast blue.

With eyes clenched shut and a growl of indignation, "I will not let my group fall to such travesties, even if there is hope to regain something of our older selves! We know manipulation more than anything else out there, to trick us is to bring shame upon ourselves and that I cannot allow." she sighed letting the water hit her face as she looked upwards holding her breath.

'Bait us all you want, we will not become another's tool for whatever ends they seek. For my pain is far greater than any of the likes that could be mustered. So if it is a game you want to play... I can play your game, and play it well I shall.' she giggled like a high school girl after hearing juicy gossip from a reliable source.

Dazzle eventually shut off the valve, the room steamy like some spring fed onsen in the winter time back in Neighphon. She paid it no heed as she proceeded to tend to her teeth cleaning, starring all the while at a foggy mirror above a porcelain sink she used. She couldn't see her reflection for the life of her, but a blurred amalgamous blob of color came through as it moved in tandem with her. It was evident that her cloud of carefully combed hair had fallen and maintained a rumbling stream down her head and back. She figured it would remain like that for an hour before she'd even consider revitalizing the original style. Something about her glorious locks had a mind of their own and had always needed to be given rest after a bath, otherwise it wouldn't cooperate later on. Just like her own spirit that she prided herself on, what amounted to the lustrous fin crest of her true form worked only one way.

Her clothing came next after she polished her pearly whites till they were camera ready. The memorabilia was gaudy at best as she gazed upon it held before her eyes, the only good thing about the choice would be further emulsion into the hairless apes of the world and less likely of a chance to be noticed. The unknown entities who targeted them needed to be baffled least they be watched every single minute of their existence. Having dressed from head to toe she stepped bare footed out the door where the other two had taken to sitting on the ground by the door quietly chatting away. Adagio cocked a brow at the talkative nature they had shared, rather alien behavior to not see Aria not at Sonata's throat for annoying her.

"I'm not going to ask what it is you two were doing. Next up and hurry, we need to wash all our old cloths together so once you're done head to the laundry next door over. I'll be waiting." she announced and headed out.

Without heeding any reply for her packmates, she relinquished herself to the washroom and took a seat in the empty area. It was a rather moderately large area in the shape of a square, a line of blue plastic seated chairs with chrome legs sat to the right side for waiting customers. The center hosted washing machines clean and almost brand new appliances, they would make due for their needs. The carefully mopped floor gave the feel of an almost unused facility, but she knew the employees were forced to keep it in tip top shape if they needed their paychecks. It was something about humans which gave them something akin to the dragons, always wanting bits and hoarding hours of labor to achieve them which of course ended the slim similarity between the two.

Along the walls where the chairs were absent the dryers were stacked upon one another, equally new and carefully managed. The air smelled of fabric softener and pine, likely from the one dispenser nearby free of charge as it seemed. Coupled with the cheap soap they bought it wasn't a bad combination to greet her sense of smell, chemically strong but nothing offensive. Though it did make her aware to her folded old wears, it crinkled her nose in slight distaste before she searched for the closest washer to dump them in.

"I can't believe we were beginning to smell like low tide. Going to need to watch that next time." she said to herself and closed the lid.

She walked to the line of hard seats and placed herself there to wait for the dunder heads. Unfortunately there were no magazines to read or anything to occupy herself with, thus she developed something else to pass the time. She thought of the Rainbooms and Sunset Shimmer, of their gems, the energy they received from the unknown, and of where they'd go from then on. A vortex of emotions coalesced within her in an attempt to plot their future out, beleaguered by the threat of further pursuit by the Rainbooms and the provider of their newfound revival. She felt the sharks lurking in the shadows waiting to attack the weak, but it would be a hard fought meal for them to partake that she swore upon herself.

Another child was heard crying in the store lobby, this time a hatchling or infant as the humans termed their newborns, "Such a bother this has become..."

Three hours later...

In a quaint little town park on the west side of town was groomed and well maintained acreage that hosted patches of oak trees among a large lawn. Squirrels and finches played about looking for acorns to eat and insects to devour, occasionally two of the furry creatures would chase each other like frolicking children. A mid-sized pond in the center of the park provided a natural look of the little escape from the bustling streets with a lone sign for family fishing day when spring came along. A few water fowls and geese waddled into the body of water to swim around lazily, happily going about their business eating the aquatic plants and arthropods that thrived in it. The occasional catfish broke the glass surface to swallow bread chunks from an old woman by the waters edge, splashing as it gulped down the fluffy food greedily.

Cobble stone walkways allowed visitors to avoid the grass and mud after the sprinkler system kicked on at sunrise, something thankfully the Dazzlings showed up late for. Flat concrete paths around the perimeter gave baby strollers easy accommodations so infants were not bouncing around in their little carriage to cry from. The park itself owned a few acres for people to take a break and enjoy life beyond the house and work, something most took advantage of during lunch or after work. It was a part of the town's initiative for every citizen's well being, to avoid building up stress and promote mental wellness or so the signs at the entrance ways touted. On the most perfect of late spring days, the park held a majesty in itself under the blue skies and a wet soil scented breeze coming from the northern wind.

Yet the magic the piece of land hosted fell upon deaf ears and blind eyes to the defeated sirens who arrived late morning in no more of a chipper attitude than before. Save for Sonata who enjoyed the animals with passing intrigue, Adagio and Aria were busily consumed by the obvious magic they were given for some odd reason. For the last few hours they tried and failed to visualize who had fixated on them as well as possessed magic to some extent and found them worty of it.

With little from Aria's contribution, Adagio could only figure that some kind of wizard wannabe from Canterlot High such as the lame Trixie could be messing with them. After all they did use her band to screw over the Rainbooms, and if Dazzle knew that type of personality well which the powder blue girl seemed to possess then she fit the bill. The odd note to make however was how boisterous she was naturally speaking, she was nowhere along her caliber in terms of scheming and usually a step behind. Thus the lane of thought hit a road bump, backtracking them to some other human or perhaps something worse like another banished. If Starswirl had sent them away what were the odds another would be conqueror followed after them with that magical portal. From that conclusion the threat of a master mind came to head, but she didn't share the notion for the sake of her loyal fools.

Having bought simple wrapped breakfast tacos at Sonata's discretion before they left the trucks top, the three had walked off the heavy meal sitting well by the time they arrived at the park. Their clean skin still smelled of flowers and a mockery of sea breeze which tended towards melons than ocean mist. Wrapped in a plastic bag were their freshly washed and puffy street cloths, equally enjoyable to the nose which poofed out when they found a bench to rest on. Under the late morning sun still cresting at an angle the breeze kicked up and brought a much delighted chill to the girls who awaited Adagio's next order. A few people were out and about on other paths of the park, talking on their phones or were on an early lunch break eating while walking. They all were eyed by the attentive observations of the head Dazzling, her gaze analyzed anything for clues as to who was trying to entice them with power even if it amounted to little more than a boost to their tired spirits. The game was still afoot and she needn't miss a step in order to be ahead of the game master, soon she'd turn the tables once something about the rules were learned.

Unlike the rest, Dusk took to her carefree attitude and noticed the birds congregating near the waterhole, “Hey, I’m going to check out the miniature lake over there.” Sonata piped up happy as a clam.

“Don’t drown yourself… screwball.” Aria replied with a sigh and swished a loose hand in the air to further her lack of care of what she did.

Having been far enough to have not heard the insult, Dusk ventured off to have her fun which left the others in peace they so loved. Yet it came at a bad time and one which they had to strategize with the sober moment they were given by chance.

"So, narrowed down the list yet?" Blaze looked to the side of her vision at Adagio who seemed lost to the world in deep thought.

She hummed as if pausing whatever calcuations she had been up to, "Yes and no, that Trixie girl is definetly not a candidate, there were a few others who wore the familiar trappings of a wizard or witch buuuuut... too young to know how to do what we felt."

"Great, so what's next then?" a sparrow landed by Aria's boots which had sported scratches and dust from use.

"I can only assume that as long as we are in public they are watching." Adagio took to resting her chin on a palm, her eyes half lidded.

"Ha, well whoever this is might be like us don't you think? I mean if that old geezer sent us away with that spell who knows who else was exiled right?" to which her words sent Adagio's eyes wide open, stunned if only at the wild guess her subordinate took and hit the mark.

The curly locks swayed as she faced her packmate while hiding her surprise, a gentle breeze pushed the reforming puff of the wild mane from view. The seriousness implied by the expression her leader bore immediately quieted her tongue, knowing Adagio for as long as she did she knew when there was something going on in that sun kissed scalp.

"You don't honestly believe... we're not alone?" Blaze seemed taken back by her own admission which was a joke at best, but then she knew it wasn't even close to being one.

Those deathly orbs locked onto her before she spoke, instilling her commanding aura into her like an ice pick through meat, "I can't say for sure, but it is a possibility that the likelihood is true and even more so that others like us were exiled as well. Other sirens! Can't you even fathom the potential?!"

Aria felt a pop of concern rise as she felt she heard disillusion than proper theory, "Look I know the chances of that old bag of bones seeking out anymore of our kind might seem... possible? But maybe we should believe any other thing just as powerful was sent through too? Tartarus! I doubt we were the only ones who attack Equestria too." she crossed her arms over her chest, knowing full well the ponies were just too easy of a buffet to pass over for anything that hungered like they did.

"Yes, yes I... had seen to that myself, in any case it seems I don't need to be coy with you since you figured it out already. When I realized it, I knew there might be someone out there wanting to use us but how without our pendants I can't seem to see the end game they're playing. I believe we have a master mind at work, something strong and able to give away the energy we need that we felt twice already. I also believe we're not fully human, at least not yet... It's the only explanation I can come up with, and I'm not about to be played like a pawn either. The issue is how are they doing it? Are we actually seeing them or are they using humans as puppets?" she explained while tapping a foot on the gravel covered ground under the bench.

Blaze nodded, "Bets are off then, at least they have good tastes?" she weakly chuckled trying to hide her anger at the thought of being tricked, "Controlling these mindless sacks of meat? Must have some pretty strong magic to begin with, or little at all."

"No need to worry however, I have everything under control and I will find this hidden being that's out there. It would be best that we lay low and appear like any other normal girl here, live our lives and try to make them screw up first. It's all I have for now without a target to go with." she admitted and looked back to the small pond where Sonata was busy chasing a goose around, its large beige and black wings flapping to get it's bulk off the ground.

The both of them watched their third comrade enjoy her time among the water fowl, one scrutinizing the lack of awareness she had and the other considering how she'd even hold a job. With a deep breath did Dazzle let go of the frustration at the quick evaluation of the cerulean girl, she'd find a way to get her employed somehow. She'd likely be the easiest to hide in the world with a few changes to her looks, if she went with the sardines at Canterlot High to judge.

"Let's hope they do mess up otherwise... it'll be a long con." Blaze huffed and folded a leg over the other, content with her mild irritation quickly changing to mirth when a flock of geese began to chase Sonata instead.

Just as she was considering jobs in the outlets called plazas they had frequented for a quick eat weeks ago, a raven
of black gleaming feathers swooped down as if it manifested in the air just before them. The flapping wings startled the two former sirens like a mouse to an elephant, the dust it kicked up from landing blew away with the soft wind as its talons clicked along the stones. The avian cawed at Adagio as she barely had a few seconds to lock eyes with it, blood crimson eyes like the old gemstones of theirs shone in the warming sunlight.

Aria gave the curious animal a glance over feeling something off about it, its call hadn't even come close to the ones they'd seen one hundred years ago being further up north back then. She still trusted her ears to be as good as they use to be, and the deeper tone that emanated from the obsidian flying rat immediately put up a red flag. The bird tilted its head as it studied the two girls in return with an interest that bordered on intelligence, looking all about the girls from head to toe. While appearing menacing to Aria, Adagio was a little less creeped out though she did retract her legs that had been stretched out. Sleek dark feathers glistened and served to pop the blood hued irises as if it were merely a silhouette of a raven as an apparition, creating a skin tingling sensation that began to spread along the Dazzling's bodies. As they continued to stare at it so did the restless limbs begin to fidget even more from being accosted by the aura the thing seemed to exude.

"Adagio? Please tell me you are feeling that as well?" Blaze asked as the need to get way from the park began to seep through as if her legs had a mind of their own.

Against the effects that were highly unnatural Adagio fought against it as if her life were on the line, "Yes, but I highly suggest you don't move from this bench. Show this... this thing who you are, sirens never retreat from danger as long as they are together!" she warned.

As if reinvigorated by the tiny threat that could be of the one they figured was tailing them, Dazzle put forth a glare all her own into the inquisitive beads that moved between them. It was the kind of leer she used only when her loyal idiots tested her nerves or if Aria ever tried to usurp her authority, the eye of the dominate female; the Alpha.

Slowly she edged closer and closer to the bird while in her seat, never breaking the fury contained within her ire as she pressed back at their interloper. Full body twitching had begun to set in from fingers to toes acting on their own, magic of some kind she figured was testing them but to what purpose was yet to be discovered. Aria followed suit after visualizing the raven as the hot head known as Rainbow Dash, she was the worst one of the musical hacks they witnessed during the contest. The joy she received upon seeing that one in particular spearhead the groups initial troubles was only comparable to the most richest of oysters she had tasted once before. While they were trying to intimidate a lone avian of mysterious design, a cough signaled the arrival of another which caught the girls off guard as they peered at the source.

'Has to be your maker isn't that right you filthy little dark spawn?' she thought as her gaze turned to the likely source of the magic, her mind astute to the developing situation as a stargazer sized up its prey.

Both girls looked to their right where behind the nearest thick old oak tree the walkway bent around hosted a form they could recognize as something normal at first. From the shuffling foot steps came a meandering ancient thing that looked as old as they'd be had their immortality not maintained their good looks. An elderly woman made her way towards their bench with a straw hat covering most of her face as it sagged down, exposing just her wrinkled lips and sagging jowls. Lacking any lithe movements it was easy to see she was in her eighties maybe even early nineties going by the attire she adorned herself with, dated garb that was lost to antiquity in Adagio's sense of history. A large canvas bag hung from her right arm that gently swayed with each movement as painfully slow as they were. The slouched hag of the senior citizen sported a sleeveless floral rockabilly halter dress, simple sandals flipped and flopped annoyingly as they were designed to do.

She appeared to be alone with no one else with her, but Adagio knew to still be wary of her being a puppet or the schemer who wanted them. The silver hair that hung loosely down her back blew with the breeze which gave away its hip length, if it were not of the ripe variety Adagio would have found it an admirable trait compared to her own. Aria was glued to merely observing the proceeding event powerless to do much else out of curiosity alone, she too needed to know where the so called magic was coming from and by who. The Raven took flight as she neared and landed upon the woman’s shoulder softly, it quietly cawed as if she were its mother.

Mustering the the proper words to begin the greeting Adagio decided to strike with initiative, "And who might you be?", it was a simple inquiry of a none hostile nature that obscured what she deduced.

The woman stopped just fifteen feet away, smiling in a way which sent chill down both the Dazzling's spine all the while as a shaking wrinkly finger lifted up to pet the bird along its chest and head. The assumption of a standoff in progress fell as the old woman slowly turned her obscured head to look behind her where Sonata seemed lost to the flock of geese in the distance. The ancient gaze held for two long and silent minutes as no one dared make a move, something about the woman felt off like some kind of stench wafting off a bayou during low tide. An aura of some unknown origin permeated the very air around her hunched body which began to warp and churn like asphalt on a summer day. In the left hand she supported herself with a twisted cane made out of a gnarled tree branch smoothed over so no bark was left, though it was clear that it was once bug ridden with holes and trails from beetle grubs. While the right one gently tended to the raven that called her shoulder a perch, there was never a human they'd seen carry themselves so menacingly. Adagio continued to seek more valuable details off their guest and the source of the power they could see, in the far distant housing zone of the town the local clock tower rang loudly to signal the passing hour.

The giant bell rang among others in a note the girls were very familiar with from years past, but somehow through the hourly musical sequence the silver viper spoke up. It was a voice that betrayed even the worst a siren could sound, it even made the Rainboom's tongues seem pleasurable to listen to. For the crackle of vocal cords and phlegm that followed only served to make the old hag a far greater threat to heed, every hair stood up on Adagio and Aria both.

"So much noise. How they love the noise. Bothersome things they are?" a ruined throat spat though it seemed the act of talking wasn't painful at all.

The brass bells reverberated throughout the town, scaring away the animals of the park as flocks took to the air and rodents took to the trees and shrubs. Even Sonata’s fun pals vacated much to her dismay and joy. Adagio’s gut feeling grew even more alarmed as the giant tolling in the distance soon echoed in a strange manner around them with a near chaotic chorus that some kind of spell amplified. The acoustics were distorted violently before they tapered off, the very atmosphere started to chill as if on queue with the vanishing town ambiance.

The thing that history forgot croaked again, "There... much better. Wouldn't you say?"

It seemed as if a strong wind had blown through the warm spring day and ripped away the sun's heat, but there was no force that could be felt other than a sapping that left only a frost. Adagio's exposed hands and neck were nipped at by the frigid cold as the temperature dropped like a stone from a bridge. Every exhaled breath started to feel dry as the latent moisture dissipated from around the three, leaving only their own humid breaths puff out as vapor that vanished faster than a taco in front of Sonata. Aria only then realized they were in the proximity of a powerful magic that surpassed anything they felt prior, she gave a quick glance to Dazzle and received the affirmation she concluded herself.

'I actually didn't even believe it all! I can't believe it!' Blaze shouted in her head, another magical being true as the sky was blue.

Out of the corner of her right eye she noticed more changes happening by the will of the grandma from Tartarus. The tips of the grass around the trail closest to the hag's proximity started to frost over. Without their gems they had no real way to sense magic like they were able to in the past, so their eyes were all they had to go off on at the present. Some kind of weather altering spell was caste around them and presumably to keep them in place she figured. It was just a matter of seconds before the they started to chatter their teeth uncontrollably and rub their arms to warm up, too enthralled at discovering the interloper's identity to escape nor want to. Death's aura swirled around them and stole any mobility soon enough, forcing their legs to be withdrawn closer in as an attempt huddle for warmth.

"This... has to... be them!" Adagio quivered as her eyes began to burn from dryness.

Aria wanted to agree in a vicious rebuttal to the obvious but her lips had chapped and cracked so fast she felt pain before a mere letter was spoken. No matter how hard she wanted to try, she was as useful as an air horn without air. They both were being magically induced to stay put and listen, such a power that Adagio had finally tasted the essence of black magic right before the old hag cracked her voice. It was the kind that burned the very soul of those close by, the very nature of such power sucked at the life force to the untrained and unprepared.

“I see you have finally opened your eyes, isn’t that right daughter of the water king?” the broken voice from the terrible being asked almost out of satisfaction, “I always wanted to see the vast kingdom of his dominion... something those sisters can never control.”

The bench they sat at had begun for grow icicles and accumulated a thin layer of white frost which creeped over the metal bars and wood planks, following the dying grass which couldn't survive the miasma.

"Time is very short for the both of us... so I won't plague you for very long. I’m just… here to deliver a message.” The crone smiled with few teeth left in her maw, yellowed from old age.

Adagio could only listen as she curled into a tighter ball and huddle closer to Aria who didn't care about the ordeal other than warming up herself. Hearing the admittance to the reason the two parties engaged in any contact or words had emboldened her to some extent, but the spell still prevented much of anything she wanted to do. Excitement replaced caution as magic called out to her very being like a hatchling would her mother's energy.

Magenta and mulberry eyes traced the fragile bony mitts as they reached into the old dress, grasping a lavender felt sac from a glowing tear in the space above the fabric. It had a gold lace tied to keep the contents contained, strangely looking exactly like the one Twilight and Sunset possessed at the coffee shop. Gently, the weathered bag of meat placed the parcel on the empty spot of the bench Sonata once occupied, placing it carefully as if it were a glass doll easily shattered from the slightest of pressure. The ten inches between the two parties was an unbearable numbing freeze which at first started to hurt Adagio to the point she nearly shed a tear which would have frozen on her face in that instant. It threatened to set every nerve ending in her body on fire if it were not for her pulling back her skinny limb. The painful flare soon dulled after the intrusive one went back to petting her bird and stepped away to a safer distance, relief from the near sub zero dome of death was well appreciated.

“They know what you are... who you are... and... where you come from.” so raspy was the voice that Adagio pinched herself to divert the pain of listening, “If you accept that little… gift... well to be clear a more of a message. Then he can help you become one again, but we need your help.” She croaked out with an awful grim smile that Aria hated to her core.

Adagio spoke through clicking jaws and frosty eye lashes, "Wwwhhoooo'ssss.... wweee?!"

A dark giggle escaped the wicked mouth, "Something for another time. Now, that gift will disappear if you do not wish to partake. So take heed young ones, it'll only be offered once.”

With a slow meandering turn in place, the crone started to walk away back from whence she came, the biting cold started to fade away with the distance she put and with it any sign of frozen condensation. What Adagio noticed all too well was the dead and brittle grass around them that remained dead, it wasn't something she was too fond of but noted it for later thought. Intense cold wouldn't normally turn any plant life into brown husks that quickly and it troubled her, the kind of magic that did that was the kind her mother warned her of in bedtime stories.

“Take care little youngin's, we’ll be… seeing each other in time.” from which the stranger's footsteps echoed in the silence that only then had the Dazzlings realized had pervaded the atmosphere around them like a stoic guard who never moved from their post. She disappeared behind the fat oak trunk and did not appear on the other side as the path would have taken her out of the park, the entity simply vanished.

Her parting words took with her the cold air which soon was pushed away by the welcoming humid breeze they were accustomed to moments ago. Adagio and Aria could feel the prickly nerves in their flesh signal the blood coming back to the extremities, their bodies warming up with each passing second as the magic dissipated from the area. What would have been sweet relief was splattered into futility by the item left on the bench which could have easily been a trap of some kind that would enslave them as they had to others with their song. Aria and Adagio stared down the parcel unsure of what to do at first, fearing even moving an inch from their spots would trigger the item to a horrible end of their fates.

For what felt like minutes they just gazed upon the so called 'message', so enthralled that they hadn't realized their third bandmate waltz up to them and loudly announced herself, “Girls! The birds flew away, something spooked them I think? Strange huh?”

Torn from their dreaded stupor violently by the high pitch joy in Dusk's tone, “Where were you, we’ve been freezing our butts off by that Tartarus forsaken old hag?!!” Aria blurted out standing off the seat with a pointing finger jabbed at the aloof one.

More confused than hurt, "What old hag? You guys were just sitting here the whole time, I even tried to get you to join in the fun!"

Adagio shook her head when she realized her dimwit spoke the truth, of all things she wasn't a liar and happened to be the most observant of the three, "Aria she's not lying. Doesn't it make sense that witch might have used a spell to hid herself and us from the rest of the world? I mean I would, especially if she knows about the Rainbooms. Wouldn't take too long to get word out to them about another magical entity and unleash that giant rainbow alicorn once again!"

Aria gave in after a few wordless sputters, relegating herself back to the bench with an exaggerated sigh as a headache came up. Everything seemed too good to be true and as the scene played back in her memory, she had to agree that some kind of illusionary spell was probably used. Ponies often did that in Canterlot to cover private conversations in public, though usually it was utilized by robed ones in dark violet with gold trim. Sure the ponies were too stupid to notice, but to a siren they were far too attuned to magic to be fooled; of course the conversations were still distorted.

“What? I ran all the way here, she just came up to you to pick up her bird and then left?” Sonata admitted with a tilted head still lost to the notion of magic and the old lady.

Adagio wiped her face with an open palm knowing she had to keep the other up to par, “Sonata, we just had what felt like a five minute one sided conversation with that abomination! That was no mere human, that’s for sure. I also have absolute proof of the other one out there looking to use us as well, there can be no greater proof of it after what we just experienced."

In seconds it seemed as if the cogs were turning in the hollow cranium Dazzle often saw, "Oh... OHHHhhh!! So like, what's next then? What did they say? Did they offer us a banquet and a feast to cozy us up to some kind of dark pact so you can get our pendants back?" Dusk jumped in place twice as she seemed elated at one of Dazzle's ideas in the works, minus the feast which wasn't even on the table to start.

Blaze seemed only more perturbed the more the dialogue went on and decided to end it, “Check that gift thing she gave us. I want to know what all that was about and somehow I'd think you would survive a hex spell even without your gem.” Aria frowned as she flicked a hand at the little soft purple sac as if wanting to burn it with her eyes alone.

“Oh a gift!? Let me see!” she exuberantly said and shot her hands out to grab the possible end to their freedom, “I love presents! Remember when Titanicus Maximus fell so in love with that one time we sang to those Roaming soldiers? He gave me a wax figurine on Saturn Day! He carved it himself and made it look like me, after of course slaying two other guards who wanted to give me gifts too.”

The recall back to the old days was a quick respite to the building tension with what was inside the sac, "It was called Saturnalia, more specifically Sigillaria, and they were Romans not Roamings Sonata. Now as much as I'd like to reminisce over our golden days if you'll please just open the gift now so we may be done with it?!"

Dusk hesitated as she lifted the precious threat in cupped hands up chest level, "Yup, Romans... you're like so right Adagio! Too bad Titanicus couldn't stay, he fought off so many others just to hear even a verse from us."

Aria observed while strangling every attempt to just stand up and slap the back of Dusk's skull so that the action would go on instead of the slow gradation she was taking. Just as much as Dazzle needed to confirm their worst fears, she held a special place i her hard heart that things might not be so bad for them. If anything she was for once positive in the outlook, the way things seemed they'd have to have been dealing with a sadistic monster if they weren't already captured being so vulnerable as they were already. The snake of a voyeur who seemed to entreat with them while showing off their strength was actually seeing them on some level along theirs, even if a step or so below the plateau. They were being measured for inclusion rather than straight use, they needed them willingly and without harm.

Sonata stuck a tongue out as she worked at the bow stings to open the felt pouch, "Huh? They really tied this neatly, for realzies!" her eyes squinted in minor irritation as the golden lace reluctantly came undone.

Waiting with baited breath, the other two held still like an ironwood tree which little beyond the fury of nature could even shake it slightly. There were no jumbles of broken glass, no rolling pebbles or stones, just a single solid chunk of something that they couldn't see until it finally rolled out of the opening flaps. Far too quickly had it passed their wanting vision as it plopped onto the palm of the girl's hand with no bounce, it happened to be a split fraction of a second that they even drank in the droplet of an image before it hid behind the palm and thumb.

They barely caught the sheen of red that snapped up their attention quicker than a barracuda's jaws in mid strike. A glimpse was all Dazzle needed before she leaned over Blaze, nearly crawling her way on the bench to peak over the obscuring appendage Sonata failed to realize was in their way. As if all the caution brought by the hag and her ice magic hadn't even dawned upon them at all, red was all she saw and it would be her everything at that point. Aria scoffed as she tried to push carrot hued cloud of a ponytail from her face, but even her eyes noticed the instantaneous detail which thrilled her spirit to the heavens.

'No way! That's impossible!!' her head screamed with the phrase, her heart speeding up with the anticipation of salvation.

Dusk seemed to still herself the moment as her curious eyes locked onto that which rested within the palm of her dainty hand. A reaction she never had shown before and yet there she stood unaffected by any kind of spell as was initially feared by Adagio. She even gasped as if she'd seen the Abyss which came for all after life had left them for the grand throne. A smile crept onto her soft innocently cute face that betrayed the suspected horror that might have grasped onto that dense brain, she appeared livid and exhilarated by the true gift enough to lose all support under her. All strength gave out in her legs sending her into a hard sit on the smooth rock pathway oblivious to the discomfort, from such an angle it was all too clear to make any mistake in the offering. Contrasting with the powder blue skin of the former siren, a faceted gemstone nestled within the depth of the comforting hand like a desert phenoix egg in a turquoise ore nest. A deep crimson ruby with eight facets front and back shone under the noon sun, but unlike any old worthless gem in the human world there were faint flashes of magical runes nearly too small to even detect with the naked eye. It was a siren stone through and through which Dazzle confirmed after she snatched it from her subordinate with a greedy blur, the other two swarmed around the item desperate to hear the certification only Adagio could give.

She twisted and turned the ruby about studying the runes her sharp eyes could discern, but what truly allowed her to feel the emancipation of mortality came from the sensation of water all over her body. Likely what Sonata had felt that dumbstruck her only seconds ago, the invisible liquid spilled over every inch of flesh past clothing and shoes. It was the same feeling they always felt when singing or feeding as true sirens, the magical surge became the stamp of approval to which Adagio then let the her pod even come close to it.

A lone tear forced its way past her hard steel control over such emotions, it was a gem that they could use once more and live on forever, "Gir... girls? It's really it! Our gem... my gem!"

"No way!?! They have replacements?!" Aria seemed almost afraid to touch the ruby for fear of it disappearing.

Dusk brushed the saltwater away from her face as she merrily hiccuped from the ecstasy of deliverance, "Oh my gosh! We're totally saved!"

Just like the Diner and the Truck Stop, Dazzle could feel a warmth once more and it failed to stop supplying the trio with the euphoric state. It was as if their very existence suckled from the energy like a starving human infant on the mothers teat, it felt so natural and familiar that no doubt remained.

“I…I… we're saved! We don't have to call this retched world our grave after all!!” she proclaimed as several more tear drops fell off her chin to soak into her Lucky Horseshoe embroidered pants.

True to her word, it was a ruby same as their old pendants albeit smaller and possessing a strange spell carved into its surface that the runes produced. Unlike their own which had been a size bigger and devoid of markings unless called upon, the carved sigils were more alien looking than what Adagio remembered of hers. Each side was otherwise pristine and perfect, from where ever it came from it was certainly brand new or well preserved for however long it was dormant. How could one exist in the human world was a blunder, but if the mysterious donor was indeed from Equestria then how did they even possess one for just such an occasion?

In the back of the many gleeful praises to Poseidon, the patron god of all sirens that even Adagio herself held little knowledge of nor very much belief in. A part of her was pestered by the source of the stone, and already she vowed to bring harm upon the entity who stole the power source from a live or dead siren.

'You better hope your story comes from finding this on some shore, or I'll do more than screw you over on whatever deal you think we'll blindly accept!' she warned to their helpful new associate as if they were listening in.

The old lady was soon forgotten for the sake of the new soon to be pendant in a golden necklace, all three girls gently touched the blood colored rock together as if it were their very souls held within. To say it was a happy moment was an understatement, they were far more livid than any young child during their birthday party peppered with gifts and cake. Sonata was the first to test it by suddenly singing a perfect tune, her voice reaching different scales and octaves crystal clear which already snagged a couple walking their dogs for lunch.

Her eyes widened so large she felt as if they would pop out of her head as the other two noticed themselves, her gasp at the legitimacy of the stone was the final axe to the perverbal wood block. The stone was as real as themselves and to solidify it, Adagio commenced a simple song for the whole pack to perform as one in perfect synchronicity. It was a breath of fresh air, an ambrosial nectar of the finest foods washing their souls clean of pain, of fear, and of sadness. By feeling their voices once again the Dazzlings innate bond between each other was reinvigorated like no other time before. Like a heavy blanket that was forced upon their faces which made it hard to breathe had been lifted away, they clasped their hands together around the gem and slowly brought the short song to a close. With a final note they held for some twenty seconds, the music ceased and they opened their once shut eyes to behold the new reality before them for the taking.

Nothing would ever match this moment they shared, the fulfilling sense of hope and purpose that permeated their being. They would be adored once again and this time no Equestrian magic would stop them now that they knew what could bring them down. Already the feeling of power had Adagio plotting, one for revenge and the other against the supplier of their brand new pendant.

The Dazzlings came to observe that a small group of people around them had formed and were clapping and tipping them with a growing bits pile between Adagio and Sonata. While no one was fighting for their talent or sparking some kind of argument with the next person beside them, it was still a pivotal moment that needed only their voices returned first and foremost. They'd work on their enchantments to fine tune the time they missed practicing, the feedings even if they were small, and the power they lost.

Adagio giggled amidst the praise they all received, "Pathetic monkeys thought we were a lone musical group looking for money on the side huh? The money we can use, it'll feel good to not be wondering the streets any longer. Maybe we can at last have a place to stay? Maybe even..."

Sonata and Aria seemed to bask in the glow of applauding audience, Dusk waving at the little crowd while Aria seemed to give a confident grin in return. She knew they were glad to be back and most importantly a promise for a secure future, they looked up to her for it and as their matriarch she couldn't falter just yet.

Dazzle looked up to the hopeful blue sky devoid of any cloud or fluff of vapor, "Mother? I can still do it... I'll make you proud."

Canterlot High, Gymnasium

Band rehearsal had ended well with the girls packing up to leave for the day, the social bonding had given much rest to the former unicorn who needed the pause from the concerns that buzzed her angrily. With the instruments locked up in their cases, Sunset had said her farewells in order to be left to her thoughts on the missing jewel that was less about stress and focused on the main question which was why. She couldn't shake the persistence of the subject though it was guided into productive train of thought by what the sirens might do with it. What was it that seemed so dangerous?

The problem clung to her like a blood sucking tick which she couldn't dislodge as she walked to her dorm. The fifteen minute walk to the student dormitory C.H. provided offered no release no matter how late at night she stayed up to think. At first she was on the look out for the Dazzlings in case they were watching her, even as she passed through her door after the long trek from Canterlot High. She started to think they were either not involved or had learned to not stir up trouble again until they had a concrete plan that didn't backfire.

A wounded animal often fought the hardest especially for the human world, Sunset's earlier science and biology courses had shown her the more animalistic tendencies the wild had. Sure dragons could level towns and steal treasure with no pony to stop them, Ursa Majors were in their own right titans but ever rarely came into the open light, and of the many other vicious monsters they always had some kind of personality that made it halfway to the level of a pony. The findings of the Biologis Department of the S.G.U. during her time at Canterlot were rather enlightening when she studied to become a princess, but in the human world it was the opposite. They were driven by pure instinct to survive and proprogate and whether they were of the air, ground, or water they were equally dangerous and nearly unpredictable. In many cases humans were harmed by mere accidental identification as prey, but were mauled nonetheless in years past. Knowing the Dazzlings, having spent so much time in the human world likely rubbed off on them which was a dangerous thought to consider.

Thankfully neither a sign of the puffy orange curls nor the blue ponytail ever showed themselves, and it only caused Sunset to ignore the people who had passed her by as she reached her door. She considered actively searching out the sirens and spy on them when she could, the best defense was an offense and she'd have the initiative on her side. It was still one problem to tackle, she still had to figure out the whole magic thing with the Rainbooms and how they came to be.

"As if them being defeated would make this easier, now I can't even dismiss them after the gem was stolen. I still need to figure out if the girls will be fine continuing the use of Equestrian magic. I mean if it's anything like a unicorn foal using magic and the outbursts they can have, I have to learn more for their sake!" she vowed just as the deadbolt clicked and unlocked.

As the door opened there came a flood of floral scent from the oils Rarity gifted her as a means to relax, it was a welcoming smell that already went to work in pacifying her spirit. The cool air was a pleasure as she entered her dorm and closed the door, quickly locking the entrance just as a precaution to safeguard the already upbeat mood. The keys were tossed on the nearby lamp stand closest to the sofas of the living area, clanking on the wood surface before coming to a rest before falling off. Following suit she ignored all else and flopped onto the two person couch that puffed out under her weight. After committing so much brainpower to the fears that involved all those she cared for, Sunset needed the nap before even thinking of dinner.

The soft cushion was no less of a giant marshmallow below her head, "Man it feels so good to just rest and not even think about that whole mess. Haaaaaa...." she sighed happily as for once nothing bothered her, the lone light she flipped on for the living room casting the only light in the dwelling.

Giving into the need for rest, Shimmer kicked off her boots and removed her jacket with little care of where they went. She stretched out feeling a few joints pop as she laid spread out on the impromptu bed, the gratification from her own body made lulling to sleep all the more swift and easy. Out of habit to make the room seem less lonely, she turned on the TV across from her for the noise alone and adjusted the volume low enough to not be a bother when the commercials no undoubtedly shot the volume up high. The drone of the picture box flashing the colorful images but there was no one member audience to pay it any heed. She missed the late night news report which played out on the local news channel, an anchorwoman began the process of introducing the latest breaking headlines though by then Sunset had started to doze off.

A short haired woman of white and navy blue stripped perm began to read off the hidden teleprompter, “In other news, the local Fellowship Park was graced earlier today by a triplet of lovely choir enthusiasts. Though they refused to give their names, their voices hailed of the likes of angels by those who listened. Drawing a crowd of people who had this much to say of the experience… Gale Force was on scene earlier today.” a news anchor on scene earlier in the day came to the screen, a middle aged man in a sharp suit looked to the viewer in front of a park.

Sunset would miss the one minute report, where soon the camera man had taken to getting into an argument with a bystander while an loud applause went on. The video clip soon faded out as the recording instrument was soon bashed into the ground by the random citizen fighting with the news staff. Then the screen switched over back to the news station headquarters, where an aghast staff seemed unable to comprehend the developing chaos. A spark shot out from the small flatscreen TV, the picture flickered as if a power surge assaulted the electronic device.

Fellowship Park Entry Gate

Evening came pleasantly for the three vocalists, with the luxury of being themselves once again if only by a fraction of their former power. As delicious as it was to suck away the negative energy they cultivated in their first demonstration, hunger for physical food still remained and more energy from the ever troubled human race. Adagio was quick to figure out that since they were sharing a single red stone, there was not enough for all three of them to go back to being the fully capable sirens like they use to be. While empowered and free of the mortal constraints that made each footstep feel like they were trudging through muddy flats of a wetlands, they would still need food and water for the time being until they were able to figure out how they'd swindle their generous friend out of more. It was still possible they'd age if not at a slower rate, so it was pertinent to Dazzle that they'd regain all three pendants sooner rather than later. The decision would not be simple nor one she'd chose alone, it was a fair deal that the others have a say no matter how idiotic they could be at times. She felt generous herself with her pod, perhaps it was being deprived of their unending lives that triggered it or the depths they fell because of a troop of humans and their Equestrian allies.

Seeing only cooperation and not bickering would be their saving grace Adagio saved the moment for when they left the park to find their first place to call home. Under the late afternoon light they found themselves at the rush hour where the eight hour shift workers were heading home, some going for an early dinner or to pick up their offspring. It would be interesting to see the look on her packmates faces when she opened the consensus to which was a rather unorthodoxed thing to do as a matriarch. From what little she remembered from her mother the pod's only say in any action to be decided upon was their overall safety and well being, the choice was a matter up to their leader and only her. But times had changed, the situation had gone off the rails, and there they were walking off with another siren's stone which if she remembered correctly was a sin in itself even if it saved their lives.

Taking a street which was off the normal routes of the loud and pollution causing vehicles the humans used Adagio decided to open the dialogue. The two were behaving for the most part, it seemed the new stone kept them from snapping at one another. Just like before Canterlot High the two sirens were less abrasive and her patience was rather high surprisingly, so it was hard to gauge if things really did change for the better?

As they kept on their way to the nearest hotels and suites one of their lovely fans advised of,"Well girls, I think this is a momentous occasion to spoil ourselves wouldn't you say?" the golden siren grinned over her shoulder.

Aria agreed with a nod but went on a tangent, “So that old hag who nearly froze us to death said the gem would vanish if we didn’t give an answer soon. Anyone else remember that?” Aria butted through the mood, she wanted the issue dealt with then than later.

“I say we work for this guy, whoever he or she is? They had a gem and we’re happy now! Least we could do is return the favor right?” Sonata gave her opinion with her cheerful disposition and a rather smart thing to say.

“I for one don’t want to stay a hairless ape, it's been nothing but disgusting care for these bodies! They sweat, smell, and take a good amount of scrubbing to remove all the dead skin... I swear I'm pretty sure you have a plan to keep us from becoming pets to this anonymous being Adagio. I’m for it as well.” she spat while flicking one of her two ponytails out of her face.

The irritable girl was not far from the feelings they all shared, Dazzle had missed the ability to simply use a spell to take care of anything to keep themselves on the ball. Even with a little dark magic in reserve it was easy to scrap away some of that power, she was all too happy to be able to do such a thing again. Eating was also mostly voluntary and they really only had to feast every other month and drink every other week, sirens ate daily and pounds of seafood but that was due to the size of their bodies and muscle structure back home. Their compact and fair form were less demanding as she came to understand, like a python they took a while to digest sustenance even if it was pleasurable to consume.

Another gemstone and they'd probably be free of the flesh that bound them to regular schedules of food and some manual maintenance. So many showers for her hair alone made the use of magic all the more tempting to pursue eagerly, the quicker the three of them were to be at full strength the better off they were.

"Ya, that's why this place is the worst. Back when we were ourselves, the most we had to worry about were parasites from the sea. Ahh... I miss my scales too, I wonder if they'll still be as shiny as I left them?" Sonata went off into daydreaming, the vivid memories of her birth given body.

“I don’t know yet, this is something that will affect us in the long run. That much I know for sure, so we need to be sure of this and the stones that we are receiving from this unknown source. We have no idea what kind of contract we'll be getting ourselves into and if I can get us benefiting from it more than this secondary party. Even you two deserve a vote." Adagio stopped on the spot and drew questioning glances from her subordinates, "Lets just get some food first and we'll decide then.” Adagio stipulated with an unusual cooperative take for the future of their group.

The violet and teal stripped hair of Aria swayed as she leaned onto one leg, arms folded across her chest after hearing the offer. Sonata wore the look of disbelief swam over her features like panicking minnows being picked off by a shorebird, their dear leader actually caring about their thoughts was a side ball they were not ready for.

Dusk just shrugged and shook her head, she felt just the same as a truck passed by carrying a heavy load of junk in the back, “A vote? What do you mean dagi? Aren't you supposed to make all the choices and us follow?”

Quickly Adagio turned to look at them face to face with a gentle caring expression being hosted in earnest. Acting with impunity, the dominant alpha put her hands on her hips as she cocked an eyebrow.

"Please, we seem to be important to this mysterious donor. I doubt they'd come up to us like they did with knowledge about our true powers to just cast us out in less than a day. They know they need us because no one else can use this." she proudly showed off the ruby she pulled from her jacket, "Giving us till tomorrow morning won't hurt us in the least. So... we take our time and consider the offer. That being said, as it stands I believe we should be far more organized if we are to face another magic user least we suffer for our faults... my faults that took us down so low." she admitted painlessly.

Aria waited before nodding with Dusk joining in, they would follow Adagio into the shadows of Tartarus. Of them all, she wasn't the type to jump at strings and for good reason. If any siren was worth her saltwater, being careful meant a long life. Yet actually showing consideration for their perspective meant Adagio finally realized her plans needed another view to succeed.

'About time she finally came to her senses... and it only took being cruddy apes to drive the nail into that thick skull that puts Sonata's to shame!' Blaze smirked.

Sunset's Dorm

The former unicorn awoke with a startle and yelped in horror from a nightmare she quickly lost any memory of. She jolted up and panned around the darkly lit living room from the kitchen in the back to the stairs and front door. It appeared to be nighttime as the digital clock atop the TV shone nine at night in bright neon green shapes like organized kernels of rice. She took notice that the TV was off even though she feel asleep with it on some ill forgotten channel. Figuring out she must have slept upon the remote by accident, she grasped the rectangular controller and brought it back to life.

"Ugggghhh... I think I overslept? Feels like there's lead in my head." she groaned as hands went to her groggy skull, her very being felt as if it were emerging from a glue trap.

Resting her face into her hands to rub the drowsiness from her eyes, the controller was tosed away, Sunset attempted to recall the reason she woke up and even regretted having done so. From what could be recalled she had taken off her footwear and mushroom leather jacket, then laid into the sofa as something was tuned into. The foggy haze of her thoughts started to lift, but as it let clarity through she began to feel something completely weird around her as if there was an utmost wrong with the world.

Immediately she felt no soft carpet on her feet and the muted television simply played a static screen on mute, electric snow seemed to dance on the digital screen like a torrent of rain hitting the windows. Her boots were mysteriously still on her feet and so was the stylish attire that never left her upper body. A hand went to the long sleeved protective article of clothing, her eyes squinting as she realized that nothing seemed okay with her situation in the least.

"Didn't I take these off to sleep? I could have sworn I did?" she pondered sitting upright.

Her dorm room still looked the same with the kitchenette in the back appeared untouched. The two person dining area and table were not floating or overturned thankfully, as well as everything else seemed to still be in proper place. Her eyes panned to the right, opposite of the door entrance into the living room. The book shelves were as they were, packed with text books and reference material she had accumulated over the past few years at Canterlot High being the ever knowledge hungry mare she had been. From fat text books to small literature necessities she collected, it was enough to provide her with a surface level understanding of the human species and their home. Illuminated by the checker boarded pattern of the light of the faint glow of street lights outside, it was clear the sun had gone to sleep of its natural cycle. She always felt strange to be in a world where things moved on a more scientific basis than magical, no princess to move the celestial bodies. The stairs began to the left of the television where they led up from the tall lamps to her bedroom. It was not quite a Spartanesque setting, but far from being cramped and joyless she since strove to create should a visitor ever come over.

Sunset moved to stand up to check her room for anything else out of place, asking herself if she ever took off her shoes and coat to begin with, "I wonder if I even did take these off? Perhaps I was too tired to remember." she told herself.

As she chewed her tongue mid stride to the stairs to mull over it, her eyes picked up movement that darted in the dark corners of the room as if a floater in her eye skirted in her vision. It took one of the shadowy strings to zip past her feet to force her back onto the sofa in freight, sucking her legs close to her chest as if there was a loose rat in her dorm. She couldn’t compel the fear that burst within her like an out of control fire as more undiscernable things ran amok in her home, they were as sporadic as flies hovering an exposed meal. Her head swiveled in every direction as a new black blur disturbed her sight, a sense of hope that she was still sleeping and merely woke up within a dream kept her grounded somewhat. She had to be dreaming, there was no way something had infested her home and now drove her off her own floor. Her cleanliness habits were impeccable as was her eating habits, she never left a crumb for even a lone roach to scavenge for which meant something else was afoot.

“You're not real! You're just a figment of my imagination! Leave me BE!” she shouted to the little gremlins which yielded no results as they kept racing like anxious crazy ants looking for sugar.

The wormy invaders merely persisted in circling her and the couch, like hungry piranhas they began to concentrate on her location as if her warning was a challenge. Moving from one point to the next with a few seconds of pause, they seemed to avoid the street lights caste of brilliance through the shades.

Shimmer yelled again out of terror and anger mixing like some bad cocktail drink, but it was really her attempt to convince herself they were not there. A third cry had done the trick, as the foreign bodies coalesced by the TV which still displayed a garbled mess. They amassed into a growing black blob between the entertainment stand and the stairs first steps, building up into some kind of amorphous body blacked out by the white screen. Sunset could only swallow the dry lump in her throat as she couldn’t tear her eyes from the growing tumor before her, even her legs failed to respond to her desire to escape.

As a fox cornered by a pack of hounds, Shimmer’s heart had gone into overdrive from the expansion the mass which crawled towards the ceiling and the top of the stairs in the dark. Her gaze continued upwards as the evil conglomeration piled higher and higher with a dominating presence reaching so high it passed over the stairwell and stopped just before the second floor. She could barely looked away from the sight that started to take on a rough shape, but she knew if things went on unabated she'd be in danger by the foreign entity that accosted her. Her eyes studied it in an attempt to ascertain the threat before her, she was still a powerful unicorn who could pony up and that made her feel defiant for a moment if only a moment.

"I'm not afraid of you!" she commanded, "I can put you away unless you leave my home this instant!"

Her try at fighting back the dread had been interrupted by an image forming in the static scramble of the droning TV screen. For a passing moment she gave it her wavering attention where a pony seemed to be taking shape, it was a stallion if she assumed correctly and one who seemed to be pawing at the screen itself as if he were trapped behind the polymer sheet. Detail soon forced its way past the snow and look at her with urgency, some kind of mage or wizard judging by the wardrobe they had and one she was all too knowledgeable of. The old pony wore the trappings of a high mage, sporting a long white curly beard grown through the years of the stallion's life carefully tended to and cleaned often. Soon enough she realized who it was through squinting eyes, it was none other than the famous Starswirl the bearded just as the books portrayed him as. He held a hoof onto the TV display while another pointed to her left with a wordless mouth calling for her to pay heed in urgency.

“What the….?” She lost sight of the dark presence near her as she eyed the ancient mage who seemed to be very animated.

He was frantically flailing his fore hooves in all directions after his first attempts went unnoticed, not long after he realized she was studying him and not listening he became even more livid. His voice still lost to a silence he didn't know tainted his attempts, going so far as to attack the screen he was trapped behind before pointing a fixed hoof back at Sunset herself as a final means to establish a warning.

“You're trying to say something? About what….” Sunset paused and gazed back at the amalgamation.

To say her very soul had felt as if it were stricken by unadulterated madness would be an understatement. She wanted to wake up immediately and run outside her room just to escape the place of such insanity. Twilight had told her that Princess Luna was the guardian of dreams when she was finally freed of the Nightmare miasma, protecting all from the darkness that haunted all ponies. Sunset could only guess that this nightmare would have tested that statement by the lunar goddess with the realness that pervaded its very existence in what she hoped was still a dream.

The entire wall behind the TV was the dread mass creeping outward along the surface of the northern wall like a endless tentacled octopus of a horrifically magnificent size. The black slithering shapes that gave it a body like a colony of worms moved in perfect coordination to craft a strange body, it was as if it were out of a Lovehoofian novel given a chance at sowing madness. Her dorm room soon warped in a way that Discord would have been proud of as every wall and the ceiling broke away to reveal some strange dimension of colors and astrological phenomenons of every color. The lone wall the demonic darkness latched onto remained with the floor the sofa stood on, anchoring her still yet in her home though foregone it was.

In the span of a minute, Shimmer witnessed the body that had been trying to manifest coagulate into a mediocre body she had yet been able to discern. The mass the size of a garbage truck sprouted a long thick worm-like appendage of its uppermost portion that snaked outwards towards the endless space above. While on both side wing-like protrusions erupted outwards gaining even more surface as the thin dendrites were given webbing from tip to tip. Limbs which as soon as they touched the remaining floor slammed so heavily that it shook the very couch she sat upon in horror. Sunset was but an ant before a wolf as she helplessly watched the monstrosity take form, too foregone to done anything to repel it as an icy chill sank into her extremities far too unnatural to register.

A thick chest surged forwards from the spawning mass with a barrel the length of a sedan and began to show pointed scales along its anterior. Shortly followed by a crown of spikes upon a head at the tip of the first emerged apparatus, giving it the classification of a forming face yet to be fully formed enough to identified. Once a few basic features started to solidify, the structure became all to obvious to her as it jutted from the wall to take the form of reptilian nature. There she sat coiled into herself as the elongated muzzle grew outwards and formed jaws with teeth long enough to likely break bone in one chop. Horns formed at the back of the skull with scales finalizing the overall bodily structure, the lizard had become a dragon which had yet to recognize her presence as it swayed from side to side before any eyes were yet formed.

"Celestia..." Sunset awed in utter terror by the dwarfing grotesque, her arms hugging her knees close to her chest as painfully as possible.

Still emerging from the swimming muck on her wall, the wings finally took shape as they spread outwards and filled her eyes with their encompassing glory. A winged dragon whose body seethed with serpent skin that never ceased movement, had it seen her then she was sure she'd be a goner in seconds given how violent such beasts were. But the eyes were what captured her entire attention, they were not any normal organs of the senses but burning micro stars packed into minuscule forms pulsing with energies of the universe that even she cowered before.

It seemed far too real as a subdued growl was emitted from the villainous conglomeration, rattling her rib cage and its contents so life life she could have sworn she was awake. Sunset couldn't shake the feeling of intelligence in the vast voids of the searing pink orbs that were portraying the draconic eyes if only figuratively. They were hot with malice, as if staring into a plasma cutter she had seen on a history film in chemistry class, the ire they gave off was stuff of legends that even she felt utter despair under their very godly light. Giving way to purple and then pink hues as the wisps of power flowed away from the sockets outwards into the dark distorted room. A monstrous imposing sensation set upon her as the likes that only Celestia’s disappointment could barely measure up to, but she knew well enough when doom loomed over her.

"... this can't be real... this can't be real... this can't be REAL!!?!" she shouted huddling into her knees using her arms as additional cover though futile it was.

It was no regular nightmare that was certain to her, and before she could figure anything more from the dreamscape it all seemed to blink in and out of perception. The massive black reptile surged its long necked head forward with a antsy fang filled maw eager to devour her in such a short time frame. She couldn’t think, only the feel of her lungs finally breathing in and the sound of the coffee table shattering as she flipped off the couch and onto the hard wood floor as a means to escape the deathly void that sought her.

Sunset would have been reenacting someone doused in flames with the way she flipped out and finally kicked herself away from the living room after she stumbled to the stairs and into the light from the outside lamps. Her squabbling navigated her into the corner by the stairs near the window where no dark worm dared disturb her, just the fading hiss of the dragon that tried to eat her vanishing into the nothingness of her dorm room. Where she would remain under the sherbet orange of welcomed illumination as if it were a nanny to a troubled child under her care. Safety felt guaranteed though her mind was lost to the utter fear already impressed into her soul, something she was ill equipped to handle.

Even as her heart toiled itself to fatigue, the resilient side of the young woman worked at the tid bits of the moment she awoke to at the height of her fright. It came from her trying to remember those classified books on Dark Magic and ancient beings of power and evil alike, a blanket of safety she managed to crawl under to shield her mind from the barrage of an unknown assault. Something from those books had the answers to the seemingly small little theft of a mended siren gem and the one who then owned it and probably cursed her. There were strings of a puppeteer out there, there had to be with what she just went through as she collected herself into a huddled ball of desperation and sobbing. Whether or not it was some huge ploy or an overzealous entity with lust for power, it would be brought to light as soon as she recovered. Teary eyes scorned the darkness before her as she waited the morning which would not come for another few more hours, far too afraid to move and check her phone nor call for help.

Sunset quivered at the foot of the stairs as her sight kept picking up movement in the shadows, the great winged beast gone as if it hadn't even formed by her TV. Her jacket and boots were off her person but she dared not try to retrieve them, they could wait till daylight or so she hoped.

PreviousChapters Next