• Published 6th May 2016
  • 4,173 Views, 66 Comments

The Siren's Remorse - TheronSniper



With the Dazzlings pendants shattered and their bodies fully human, they are left to life's machinations. However, a fellow banished soul might be the key to returning their former selves and taking revenge with a gout of flame.

  • ...
19
 66
 4,173

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 39 Adagio for Strings Part 2

Chapter 39 Adagio For Strings Part 2

“Please excuse Aria once again, she’s more of a straight to the point kind of siren. How about we just stick to the supposed evidence of these beings of tremendous fear?” Adagio looked at Twilight who opened the can of worms of the tangent.

She winced realizing she had been the cause as she did ask about the timeline when it technically didn’t need to be established yet, “Right… sorry.”

“Whatever?” the bored Blaze crossed her arms and rolled her eyes to the behest of her leader.

With the night starting off rather unwell, Yellow decided a summarized perspective would be appropriate, “Perhaps this way I might be able clear everything up, what I’m about to tell you is the culmination of everyone’s lives in Equis before they were sentenced here. So please pay attention.”

Adagio narrowed her gaze in a warning fashion to the girls, ensuring they’d not speak up and muddle the conversation again. Her rebellious subordinate just scrunched her eyebrows downwards, giving her affirmation that she would remain as still as a barnacle. Sonata gave a nervous shrug and patted Twilight on the head, even she knew well when the matriarch was not in a joking kind of mood. As rare as it were to even see that side of her, things were serious at the moment and dawdling was off the options.

“That goes for all of you as well, the quicker we all understand the coming fate of Equis the better we can get on with our lives.” Yellow waited till the rest gave some kind of acknowledgement, “It is believed that ponies were barely magically capable and yet made it to the iron age with the aid of unicorn magic. Being able to arm their herds for protection and establish villages for trade and safety, at some point the wish givers arrived at the start of the pre-Classical era also known in those carved tablets as the Stupendous Era. Though I’d refer to it as the Time of Sin, as around the early onset of the age came the one pony who wished for true magic for ponykind. For whatever reason it was desired, a powerful demon gave the wish a whirl and thus pony magic sky rocketed into fathoms yet unknown.”

Adagio twirled her fork in the air looking at it with minor amusement, “So ponies were essentially boosted, something like Starswirl the Bearded would have been impossible otherwise?”

The yellow skinned man gave a clap of praise, “Yes, that is rather true as after the wish, ponies of all types began slowly with each generation to manifest powerful magics that gave them the edge to prosper and overcome the hostile environments back then. Could you imagine a unicorn barely able to do more than lift a laddel or a spoon much less a few pounds of iron ingots? How about an earth pony only as powerful as the equines of this world? Or a pegasus whose wings were but peacock feathers for attraction and to ward off predators? Perhaps that is why the wish was made, though that history has long forgotten about it.” The man then took a sip from his glass of blood red wine he had served to all but the girls, Pandius had the desire to add to the lecture as she smiled at Twilight specifically.

“My kind, Changeling kind, were there during the time of the Wish Givers. I but a nymph when the wish was granted, so I was lucky enough to be born into the lands of pre-equestria during this critical transition our prey undertook. My mother founded the first hive, and to her the magical beings as the ponies became known for were something all new to feed on as their love became sweeter and more potent with the great wish. Even she had never figured out why some stallion or mare could have wanted such power for their kind…”

The Dazzlings kept silent as Yellow gestured with a sway of the hands to continue on. “With magic came the smarter ones, the tablets told many stories of unicorns who studied new ways to perform their magic while Pegasus kept to the skies and the freedom. Earth ponies of course were able to farm rather than gather and cemented their families in safe zones they guarded with brute force. Though as the three tribes began to ascend and create societies beyond your little settlements, it was said that a few unicorns had awoken to the dream they were all living in. The larger the concentration of ponies the more chaos and discord were spread about, and that began the times of Upheaval. When ponies realized the Wish Givers in sheep’s wool were granting desires to all who sought them, the problems that pervaded infant kingdoms and lordships were soon given a source. Though it would take a few more decades if the material dating was done right of course for the reason to be understood.”

Twilight tapped her chin, “Makes sense… I mean if there is a plague going about it affects the city centers far more than outlying towns and off the grid homesteads. So you’re saying no one noticed what was going on until the festering wound became the symptom?”

Paradox pushed away his empty plate and belched loudly, “Precisely fraulein, ah your connection came from very smart und creative early mages. Zey somehow detected ze negative emotions caused by fighting und madness being absorbed by the Wish Givers.”

“Like you brave lot, those Demons used their dark magic to make certain realities come true to an extent. Like the Jin of this world in those little lamps you rub, but a wish made came at a cost no matter how detailed it was. Ponies found their simple requests turned upon them and their neighbors, all to the Wish Giver’s delight as fighting began. Though they did not seek adoration as you three did, they were biting flies getting their fill of a blood meal before retreating away until another feeding was needed.” Emerath sighed as if he lived through that era himself with a flavor of disgust and pain mixed in his words, “Their existence in pre Equestria did all it was meant to do, as the great wish of magic intended. Soon, they needed not to grant wishes as they just relished in the new world order they sowed the seeds. You can imagine how ponies grew to adapt to their meddlesome interference with their ascension into true magical beings, tyrant lords and despots ruled with gold and power or held onto resources each tribe valued above all else just to survive. You can guess that tribal sectionalism was in effect since then.”

Adagio kept still as she listened to every word as if they were precious bits of her life bargained away at an auction, not even turning to look at Twilight who could not help but react, “That sounds so horrible, but I can see the plausibility in it. I mean ancient times were breeding grounds to myths, lies, and fables to control populations, then throw in actual wish givers to give the upper hand on those who’d play the opportunistic predators. The Battle of Troy is quite an applicable event in humanity to compare to, though I suppose… now’s not a time to go over that. Um… well… desperation becomes the driving force for loyalty and power. This all points some kind of experience these demons have in doing so, did they originate in the lands or where they possibly roaming around from place to place? I believe to understand a foe you have to know where they came from?” Sparkle inquired.

“They had no origins to speak of, just a roving nomadic species that preys on new grassy pastures sort of speak. I believe it is safe to assume they knew what they were doing and how to have gotten around without being noticed.” Serak said as he played with his food in thought.

Yellow chimed in, “Nothing more could be found in those stone tablets I’m afraid, likely any literature or such during those times are rare or lost to time. However I’ll agree on your standpoint Mrs. Sparkle, though that leads down to a whole other topic of discussion we can save for later.”

“I wonder if they could have acted and behaved like any invasive species that occur in my world or… here that is? Like the constrictors in Florida or the lionfish in the southern gulf? If they can give wishes to their benefit, then get rid of competition like sirens or other emotion feeding beings? To perhaps cover their tracks and place the blame on others, and I believe that has been done too many times in this world to count anymore.” Sparkle sighed as the last ten years the global relations were starting to crumble.

The griffon faux human swallowed a spoonful of Monet’s onion mushroom sauté, “There’s no telling what the old stomping grounds could have been like, without historical archives to go by that is. Those limey sods were devious I’ll grant that to them, and when they get out they will likely repeat the same strategy to that effect. Once the magic has been reclaimed by the greater demon we believe caste the one wish, no creature that is not an avatar of negative energy such as sirens, changelings, dogothas, and dragons will have the power to stop them. Nations will go to war, and the world will burn without the magical ley lines that were put into place. Wishes will be at an all time premium and suffering will beget more suffering…” a disgusted expression painted upon the gray skinned man who set his plate aside, “More banishments here and there, they may even make a new portal with the old one destroyed by us. Any who stand in their way will be exiled to who knows where just like Tisiphone and her… uhhh… oops?”

That was when a spike of hate came from the violent woman near Adagio. Whose powerful emotional rage surfaced as the sound of a truck backfiring in a crowded street to the siren’s senses. The silverware she held bent and twisted between her fingers and a growl eased out putting the Dazzlings and others on alert. Sonata being the first to bring her gem to glow, the others following suit though whatever they could do against someone like Tis would be an afterthought.

“Are ye daft in the head woman?! We’re at dinner for evan’s sake!” the scottsman slammed a fist into the glass table and cracked it, though it held up form through the abuse with Frozen and Paradox giving a very shocked look at his show of strength.

Yellow gave a perturbed look at the damaged furniture their food rested upon now precariously. The steaming woman demanded attention as a few bent chairs or the table surface were barely even a concern at the moment. Yet again, Tisiphone had lost her calm to the only thing that could, and the innocent instigator had just a pure slip of the tongue on the black list of words to never mention among the group when gathered together. To bring up even the mere mention of her sisters and being exiled again from her work let loose the levied control someone like her could hardly keep up. Considering how little the human world meant to her purpose in life, he was graced with a generally peaceful spirit of vengeance. Though now was beyond that, and it needed to be shut down before something or someone was annihilated.

Taking the situation by the reigns, he stood up and walked around the table seating till he stopped right beside the ticking time bomb. All other eyes tracked his gait when they looked up from the utter trash heap in the center of the room to the sound of his heavy foot falls. The exiles that knew him acted as high school students about to see a fight break out during lunch. Aria’s finger trigger over her pendant wavered once the murmurings of Tis reached her ears, a language she did not know that had a physical manifestation within her body. Nerves started to flare a little, like a burning match touching her randomly across the body. Amidst the sensations starting to flood her system, she took heed of her leader who seemed to feel it as well if not stronger. Possibly from the immediate closeness to the origin, though like Adagio would do she just poised herself to act and wait to see the scene play out.

“Shou… should I use my magic?” Sparkle whispered to Dusk whose entire alertness focused on the present danger before them.

Shaking her head with the single ponytail of blue hues wagging, “No, trust me. We got this.” A blue arm stretched over in front of the human girl before sharing a wordless conversation through eye contact with Aria to the right.

The man waiting patiently by Tis ran a hand through his oxblood hair, the pain in his face like a father dealing with a rebellious child and heeding no caution in the slightest. To Adagio, he seemed calm and collected regardless of a very hazardous situation tempting to explode right there, but then again they really had not known him for who he was and thus surprises were abound. Surprises Dazzle would find out and remember for her later use, everyone was a potential enemy to her pursuit of conquest.

Yellow simply held a firm stance, speaking with a frustrated tone, “We’ve been through this Tisiphone, you promised to abstain from getting too angry with this until we returned home. Where you could go back to what you do as you were made to do!” He said while spreading his arms outward in a move to receive.

“Uh? Sir? Are you going to let her do that thing again? You are aware of the risk of doing this so high off the ground if she knocks you out of the building right?” Serak warned looking back and forth between the two as the air became thick and tense, earning a questioning look from Adagio and Aria.

“Tis! Just let it out right here and now, you’re not going to endanger this co-op!” Yellow pointed to his chest with a thumb, “Serak I know what I’m doing. Besides, I could use the reminder of why we’re trying to leave this barren wasteland! TIS! Do it.”

While the sirens questioningly observed the interaction, they were in for a rather unique insight in the group’s methods of handling each other. With the woman’s strength already shown, Adagio expected a solid hit into the barrel of the dense assertive man. Aria and Twilight were slack jawed by the lengths being taken to subdue one of the groups own, observing intently to see what all Yellow was referring to.

No one could have prepared for the moment which came as quick as a hummingbird zooming through a garden. Tisiphone bunched her arms together and then swung her left hand behind her, sending the crumbled utensil embedding itself into the wall with a muffled ding as it pierced the beam behind the drywall. Moving to stand up, her right hand gently pressed onto the translucent furniture which then shattered as she exerted a little extra strength beyond necessary. Half eaten plates and surplus food were in mid fall with wine glasses and crystal cups of water, the shards making the song of destruction as it rained onto the wood tile below. Most of everyone could only blink and try to sit up as liquids and moist edibles cascaded onto their laps and foot ware.

Just as chaos descended supper for the meeting, that very hand that pushed the damage caused by Magnus past the limit. A fist formed and whipped at the assertive man nearly too quick to see as Sparkle could feel adrenaline course through her blood. Tis’s body twisted in her seat as she made contact where he told her to hit, though in reality she just acted upon her violent tendency and had likely not even heard a word from him. Those not reacting to the mess in the making had front row seats to the vanilla colored knuckles sinking into the olive shirt of Yellow and inched into his body even more before the sheer force of contact started to move him. Without an anchor or support, he rocketed away into the wall behind his own seat at the destroyed table which terminated to the large open view glass windows to the right. By fate’s fortune Tis had missed sending him outside the structure for a good fall onto concrete or a parked vehicle, his body impacted hard enough to imprint his back into the surface of the apple green wall just above a set of drawers. He made no sound even as the crunch of what was hoped to be wood beams creaked loudly the girls had heard rather begrudgingly.

The simply dressed elegant Amazonian woman breathed heavily as she put her all into that throw, through her clenched teeth she hissed in air. Right arm still extended, though it slowly descended as her fury fell away to an empty cry. Magnus seemed to chuckle at the violence, having been quick enough to grab his large crystal stein holding a few swigs sweet red wine he then chugged on the spot. Emerath cowed away from Tis as she recovered, realizing then that he could have been the one she targeted if Yellow had not taken her fury. Paradox shared Adagio’s facial expression of awe, his cheery demeanor was but a memory. Frozen and Monet seemed to overcome the shocking feat of strength to eye their ruined clothing, oddly enough Inferno held his plate of what remained of a steak as he resumed eating once it was secured during the initial clash. Empress Pandius simply stood up and walked away, feeling the sickening wash of negative emotions that left her empathic ability screaming to get away from the loveless atmosphere. Old Oak, however, was the only other one to rise up go to Yellow as soon as his body fell out of the vertical barrier. Where he landed harshly onto his elbows and knees coughing for air as dust from the wall caked the back of his shirt and pants.

‘This is not possible!? How can she be so strong and he be so stupid to take such a hit!?’ Adagio shouted in her head with her free hand which wasn’t already on her pendant groped for Sonata only to reach empty air, ‘Who are these crazies!?’

She looked behind her for a second and already Blaze, Sparkle, and Dusk were out of their seats rearing to defend themselves with whatever means possible. Aria whispered something to the others with a very displeased frown as the trio stepped backwards to the living room right behind Pandius. Though that ravishing woman seemed to keep going and disappear out of sight from where they came into the condo. They left the golden siren to herself so close to the unknown entity, and it made her feel rather proud among the mix of emotions already garbling her mental state that also wanted to throttle them for not giving her any queues to move away. They immediately shored up with the weakest of the pod safely behind their bodies knowing she herself had proven well enough to stand toe to toe with something out of this world. Even if that example marred her personal record of being resolute, it still provided the mistake at the Sushi Bar to be a red moment of how far her powers could go beyond singing. She’d have to congratulate the girls on acting properly in the face of such danger.

Oak dusted Yellow off as she checked for any wounds he possibly suffered, her hands going over his back for signs of anything broken or slivers of debris embedded in the skin. As it seemed Tis however would receive no care or act of friendship for her little outburst, who would want to risk their health anyways? All alone as her power fell away to her heavy huffs, she fell to her knees saying nothing just as no one else did. A few shards of the glass table lay near her, reflecting the suffering she bore as the magic she expended left a void in its place.

Yellow began to shuffle towards the fallen Amazonian, “See… told… ya I could… take…. Take it.” His haggard breath astounded Adagio seeing Oak and him move with extreme care.

A stock photo in a black picture frame fell as the anchor to the damaged wall finally gave out from the rumble caused by the human body being jolted near its placement. The glass cover shattered and added one last ambience to the atmosphere before a tearless sob began to emanate from the hunched over figure of Tis. By then she’d become far too much of a disorder of feelings for any siren to determine if she’d lash out again, Adagio maintained caution when she confirmed that magic was indeed used just then. To that she back stepped away carefully as Yellow and Oak approached Tisiphone, step by step just until Sonata tapped her shoulder.

Whispering in hushed tones the golden siren gave her orders, “Guard up, keep distance from that thing, all brawns.”

“How are we suppose to fight something like her?!” Aria fired back raising her tone nearly to noticeable levels.

“Not sure, however, we book it if she goes on a rampage. We’ll find the portal ourselves and figure it out, Twilight knows where it is anyways.” Adagio jerked her head at the one in question, giving a little grin to the three.

The ruffling of movement by Yellow ended their conversation as he talked again, “No need my… little… gems. Ahhhh… Tell you what… what that was… all about… later.” He held a hand to the site of the attack, looking extremely winded though not badly in much pain as he could still be able to speak further.

Old Oak having acted as his extra leg and arm gave a scornful glare at the squat figure before them in her pitiful state, “We all suffer Tisiphone the Fury, we all want to go back as well and properly mourn those we’ve lost to our confinement. But you’re acting like a foal! Please remember what I’ve always said during our talks, pain is pain yet only you can turn it into suffering.” Those gentle ageless turquoise eyes of the rather mellow lady spoke of a history between the two, possibly the one who helped the lost soul stay in check.

“Let me go Oak… I need to… get through to her...” the injured man stumbled forward as his help did as she was asked.

Taking mental notes of the interaction between the two, Twilight then heard someone behind her speak, ‘Just give the word…’

Her head swiveled about, no one was around her other than the sirens before her and Pandius in the hallway closing a door. The Dazzlings were quiet as she had been, like meerkats watching a beast on the prowl. Without a clue to glue to, Sparkle was ready to shake it off as stress induced paranoia being once again placed in a room with a powerful entity just as she had with Adagio.

‘Tell me you want her chained down to save everyone else… Do you really think that man can contain that thing!?’ it said again echoing in condo that only she seemed to hear.

‘Please stop!?’ Twilight thought to herself, ‘We don’t even know why she’s upset or who she really is. Jumping into action now would be costly especially if she does not relent. Where are you anyways? Who are you?’

For a moment there was no response, Yellow had by then carefully knelt before Tisiphone with Oak remaining close by looking worried as anyone else. It felt painful not being able to do anything or help in disarming the conflict that budded out of nowhere. Though common sense learned after Adagio’s incident made it all to clear of what the proper course of action was to be taken, Sparkle would never repeat that mistake for the rest of her life.

‘Fine…’ the voice said oddly enough close to her own voice.

The others of Yellow’s group who kept their seats then stood up as one and filed out and away from the splash zone. Emerath left for the kitchen with Monet as the rest stood at the opposite wall from their leader save for Havoc who knawed away at the bone for morsels of flesh clinging yet still. Either he was a stubborn Equis denizen or he really had no inkling of what was going on, either traits were logged by Adagio for later contemplation. This group was either stupidly powerful or stupidly idiotic even more so than Sonata on her worst days.

Dazzle gazed on as the interaction played out, Yellow giving it his all to plow through the injury he sustained and suppressing the need to shake his diaphragm, “We all know Tis. We all know why… you have half a day before we leave for home, then you can make up for… for it all. I need you to do… this for me, keep calm and wait till we’re back on that magical world… Can you do this?” his eyes gained a glow like gold coins under the sunlight, a hand on the woman’s bare shoulder.

The hippy woman was next as she crouched down beside Yellow, “Listen child of the all mother, you can feel the pain of your loss… accept it and overcome it. A solution will be soon at hand so do not feel the temptation to act just yet, calm your anger and know a time will come for all of it to be released. Of everyone here, I am most on your side. The balance of any forest or jungle has to have its lone manticore or hydra to control everything else.”

It took thirty minutes to dissolve the situation, but eventually Tis relented and went back to her old self if not a quieter version. The Dazzlings were excused from helping pick up the mess of the table and were told the rest of the meeting would occur in the main room and the discussion would continue on. Taking the offer quickly, the girls quickly took for the cover of the long black leather couch before a large screen that had to be the television. Adagio and Aria took the arms while Sonata and Sparkle were sandwiched in between which all four sat silently in listening to the many grumblings and clatter of cleanup.

While the meal was put away and the living room made spotless, Adagio took the moment to think over the ordeal. As it were, Yellow Tail had a very dangerous wolf in the group who was unstable at best that suffered from a very traumatic event which accompanied their arrival to the human world. One that might equate to Adagio’s own, if in a much lesser way though uplifting her addled mind to see she could at least be a functional pup of disaster unlike a certain someone with a record as it be.

“Well… so much for the great gathering of like minds!” Aria scoffed indignantly as she rested her head on a poised arm, elbow digging into the furniture’s fluffy interior.

“She was like freaking out and such, like for realizies she scared me!” Sonata pouted as she rests her head on Twilight’s shoulder and nuzzled in, she of course did not bat an eyelash at the behavior with her brain on full speed thinking over greek mythology for the use of the word Fury, she knew about them after researching the ancient stones the girls wore.

Feeling the warm breath of her best friend tickling slightly her neck and chin, Sparkle felt a little more at ease with both the issue with Tisiphone and the person she could not see and whom spoke to. It was a comforting act by Sonata, one which further justified her reasoning for joining the sirens on their quest. Human interactions and proximity that were not met with bullying and meanness, skin to skin contact and everything which came with it stabilized the swarm of analyzing thoughts with the scent of blueberries subtly wafting off Sonata’s person. Just like the old days when she unknowingly garnered her classmates despise for being smart or those end of the year tests, and he'd hug her till she felt better.

“Easy girls, we’re not out of the woods just yet. So far we have barely any knowledge on this gang of sorts and I intend on not jumping into the depths without a good pile about them. I’d love to just leave without them, but something tells me my little jump to conclusion means that Yellow probably has the way to activate the portal rather than us just throwing our power into it. A door has to have a key even if they keep referring us as such.” Dazzle sighed as she rubbed her temples to relieve the stress piling up upon her.

“I can’t even believe Yellow could walk after that?! Did you see how far he flew? How is that humanly possible even with a little magic? He said so himself that mana was a fixed asset to them, just enough to use on the portal?” Sparkle asked as she tried to forget the voice from earlier.

Aria waved her hand about, “Probably some kind of creature who can take a hit real well. Doubt they have any magic for defense at this point.”

Sonata’s arms wrapped around Twilight as if she were a stuffed cuddle animal, “She like really needs to cool off, I mean what’s the point of getting so angry over the past right? We did fine and we’re still here?” her innocent outtake held no dents of reality, she seemed to have missed the tragic sense of Tisiphone missing her siblings and what strange duties they performed as a group of Equis as their version of Furies.

“If she’s really a Fury as in the Greek stories from where I learned about your human equivalent… then you have a right to be concerned Adagio. I think we all need to know who Yellow’s allies are before we go to Equestria... we may very well be in a room filled with cyclohexane and a light bulb in the ceiling is broken.” Twilight’s warning put a disturbed her leader as much as Aria’s on a normal day, as if she did not already have her own magic to contend with and the disembodied voice now accompanying the symptom list.

'Its all worth it, it is all worth the trouble even if... there is an undying spirit that punishes evil acts. Because Adagio won't really want to take over her own world and enslave lives... which would draw the attention of the last remaining Fury... right?' she thought with a drained spirit.

Then the voice came back again, 'She's not to be trusted... see what is in front of your very eyes and tell me she is not forgone?'

PreviousChapters Next