• Published 6th May 2016
  • 4,173 Views, 66 Comments

The Siren's Remorse - TheronSniper



With the Dazzlings pendants shattered and their bodies fully human, they are left to life's machinations. However, a fellow banished soul might be the key to returning their former selves and taking revenge with a gout of flame.

  • ...
19
 66
 4,173

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 25 Wild Flower

Ch. 25 Wild Flower

Royal Throne Room and Solar Court

Princess Celestia sat on her haunches on her throne, looking over the latest information from the Ministry of Health and Disease. The head director had requisitioned a slot to see her. To have such a busy stallion tear away from his work in the intensive care units as well as the board, it was never a good sign. Upon arrival, he immediately asked of her to look through the reports of the growing number of cases of illnesses in ponies across Equestria. It was a collection of collaborative efforts from as far as ponies settled even beyond the safety of the nation's borders. They were kind enough to sum up the different cases into categories, the first were magical sickness followed by injuries caused by the sustained condition while the third were instantaneous deaths from depletion of mana. The three seemed to be gaining in numbers in the last century, one she did everything possible to push surplus funds to the M.H.D. in hopes they could curb the looming problem.

Ponies everywhere were coming down with magical exhaustion and stress, which for all three tribes had their own unique symptoms and issues. It had lent the hospitals and mobile clinics through days without rest, even though the call for more nurses and doctors had fueled the economy at first. The epidemic beckoned her more progressive actions once the healers were falling ill amidst their busy shifts as they were. She called for a session with the Arch Mage of the Scholar Arcana to help her make the right decisions so they wouldn't strike fear in the populace. Since there were no clear cause such as a flu or poison of some kind that could be studied. If she bet her wings on the problem, it was something to do with the way ponies handled their mana wells as life became more modernized and machine use became prevelant. Only highly trained mages could be capable of finding what or where the triggers were occurring, that was if they could find the source. The moment it sets in and connect the dots, but they never had enough staff to do such a thing and case studies often yielded no results.

"Sister? You'll want to move your work to your room soon, the sun will need to set in thirty minutes." Luna's voice echoed in the empty room.

As reality of the world around her came forth, the powerful deity looked up with weary eyes, "Apologies sister, I'll be there in a minute."

"Very well, I received your message about two unicorns from the Arcana joining us? Am I to assume they won't need a memory wipe after they finish assisting us?" her deep blue starry mane fluttered as she watched her sister with concern over her state, the solar court had been seeing an increase in more appointments.

Every scroll and sheet of paper she had before her vanished by a teleportation spell, "I've been informed that they are among the top of their class, and are given a pass. They've both contributed to advancements in many fields, and are likely to be promoted to Master Mage within two more years at the Arcana. So rest your worry Luna, they are safe." followed by a yawn.

The alabaster alicorn wearily sat up and stretched her body, fanning out her wings in their beautiful glory and immense span. It seemed as of late that she had been possibly overworking herself with the fatigue of governing, with the latest expansion near manehatten and vanhoover which had doubled in population just within the past decade. It seemed as though Luna's advise for a lord governor to be instated for both city states hadn't been taken under advisement as she hoped, it would have lessened the burden upon Celestia. That way she would only receive the most necessary bills and messages that somepony of her rank could only pass or veto.

"Twilight's been well in handling the secrets and evils she's gone through, I've yet to detect anything in her soul to hint at her falling under the dark art's sedation." Luna proudly announced as her sister soon walked past her to the balcony doors.

"That's good, I know she'll pull through, even with that hungry mind of hers. If handling King Sombra showed how well she could resist the dark arts, we only need to look after her health. She's very astute in learning to the point her body might suffer." Celestia commanded the wooden entrance outwards with her magic.

"Indeed, be that as it may, I will still monitor her condition whenever she's in the archive. Speaking of which I must head over now, they'll be waiting for me. Good night dear sister, be sure to rest well." Luna gave her sister a gentle smile as she commenced the charging of the spell to lower the sun.

Midnight Royal Canterlot Library

Stellar and Vigil stood at attention before the great doors locked by Luna inside. Like every night, things were slow and uneventful save for the occasional wave of a Peering Eye Spell by the great windows to which the light from her moon caste into the public section of the library. Every thirty minutes a subordinate would arrive with paperwork for one of the two commanders or a report of another shadow worshipper who tried to spy on the two. Lately it had become a game of cat and mouse, using their fastest flyers or stealthiest lackey to try and see what was going on. Their new station to watch over the Black Tape Archives didn't go unnoticed and it had both of the thestrals on high alert. There were watchers that got through the drag nets, and usually a Peering Eye caste meant an attack would come. However, the lack of any action after such a thing was what jostled Vigil the most, the agents of shadow had basically ceased any movement upon the lands as if something quelled their standard guerilla attacks that had been so common.

After the younger thestral warrior left to distribute the latest command orders, Stellar spoke up, "Suppose these demon lovers are just begging for a chance to get inside? Their movements have iced, our squads deployed around the keeps haven't shed their blood since this all started, kind of blatant if you ask me?" she sat on her haunches with her imposing armor glimmering in the moonlight with every movement she made.

"Hard to say still, with a complete change in behavior it is worrying, as if they're waiting for something to happen in that room?" Steel looked around the expanse that was the Royal Library, "Its to much of a coincidence that they began watching rather than charging forth since the Princesses took an interest in that section."

"Our finest officers and advisors are all pointing to it, we go from seven attacks and ambushes a week to nill. Unless our latest efforts with the Contrail mission really hit their infrastructure as we had hoped, something big is about to go down. We can't even capture one of their own since they went into hiding and started to hawk us like we were some kind of prairie dog colony. My best Lunar Wolves haven't even picked up a lone camp or hide out, so they're really going through the trouble to lay low. No suspects to interrogate other than what we have, and even those Vras know nothing about what's happening." Stellar sighed as she remembered going through the files of the failed attempts by the interrogators.

"Even after our specialists used the Gajup Lul extract you recommended, still... nothing was obtained from those whimpering husks. And until we acquire new bodies for the squeeze, we're at square one for the time being. I've put my Night Lords on extra watch for those peeping toms, every hallway in this castle has at least one of my warriors on alert. Only time will tell when one of them makes a mistake." the armored stallion shifted where he sat.

"Indeed, my girls keep chasing them, but they've always gotten away miraculously as it were. They said they've picked up on dark magic in action that's allowed them to evade. Even though the chases have lasted nearly an hour, they should have fallen from magical exhaustion or the very least selling their souls away to keep casting whatever spells they use?" she glanced at the window just as one of her warriors shot past the viewing portal.

"Likely using mana crystals, but they'd have to have a chest of those to keep up that kind of a chase?" he replied as he took a deep breath and let it out.

"Quite right... a costly venture to acquire them much less charge that many in advance. That's what has me worried, the fueling process means they either have prisoners or their ranks have swelled to a troublesome quantity. I hope its the latter, because I can imagine them abducting." her wings fluttered as her agitated state showed through.

"Yet reports of missing ponies haven't spiked, they'd have had to been doing this long in advance to hide their tracks. If they were that smart, then the situation has devolved even further and there truly is something huge going down that's connected to Princess Twilight's research. We can always trim down their numbers, but such a strategy in the process I'll have to admit..." his sharp eyes looked about the room before settling on the lone book that had been left out on the table.

These conversations were Stellar's way of blowing off steam, since they couldn't say such things before their troops or anypony else. A commander worrying about the enemy would hurt the moral, as well as break code of conduct. The revelation that a large operation was underway had nearly every asset out on the field every night, with no new information coming in they were working in the dark literally.

"So... how are the kids? They reached that age yet?" the mare huffed as she let go of the previous topic reluctantly.

Vigil never broke eye contact with the textbook, "Nightshade Glow will start training in a few more months, and Topaz just began to teeth. She's begun to eat her first meal, quite the preferable to rabbit it seems... and a very messy eater." he chuckled.

"Must have been hard to nurse her while those fangs came through." she giggled as her addled mind swayed to more pleasant thoughts of their village.

"You have no idea and Moonlight Emerald fought off a troop of griffon converts alone and it was nothing compared to raising the two. Once they started to teeth, she said it was a painful experience since Topaz has a hearty appetite. Still nurses a little, but we're making good progress as she learns to walk for herself." a small grin poked through his stoic expression.

"The joys of motherhood, wish I could consider that but I promised my mother I'd remain in the service to the crown until retirement. Ever since she was forced out due to medical issues, she's felt like the family failed the Princesses. Me being here and at the top no less... it makes her happy. But a foal all my own, it would be nice." she stretched her wings outward to assuage the stiffness in them.

For a moment, the stallion softened his gaze upon the table he found himself glued to. He remembered how his family came to be due to her reminiscing, the long road of hard work and determination to show his inherited trait that proved him to be a valuable member to the guard. Those lonely years before he came across Moonlight, the awkward meets while on duty, the notes they shared in secret, and the rare conversations that were permissible. How her unique stealth skills earned her a few commendations from the old higher ups during the Scathers migration on the eastern border.

Her unit had been successful in navigating the brutally aggressive six legged walking behemoths from Equestria by harassing them. Which itself was no easy feat due to their many eyes, sensitive tentacles near their mouths that could pick up the scent of a mouse in a fallen log, and the colonies of winged featherless birds who fed off their scraps. Scavengers the Scathers were, not mindless as they formed social herds to feed on specific creatures that their droppings left evidence of. A migration usually consisted of a long sixty or more giants moving in staggered formations with the young closest to their mothers, little ones as tall as a two story house and curious to anything their miniature tentacled maws picked up. That had been the main reason for ensuring they were harassed enough to keep a wide distance from Equestria as their journey passed by parallel to nearby trader posts and villages. The smell of food and ponies milling anywhere near would have drawn the young ones away, and the reaction of the adults made an ursa major seem as troublesome as a drunk badger.

The sound of the library main door being pushed opened in haste forced Vigil from his memories, he had accidentally tuned out Stellar who had been talking about her pledge to the family. Knowing he'd likely get a light chewing out, the issue at hand soon became a message from one of his thestral messanger. The armored guard held a parcel bag around his neck which swung with each trot the stallion hurriedly took.

"Sir! I have an urgent message from Captain Sabor deployed along Seaddle. Permission to convey the contact?" the guard stopped and saluted with a bow.

"Show me." the messenger dove his muzzle into the brown canvas bag and pulled out sealed scroll for the commander's wings to grab.

Using his teeth to nip away the ribbon with the Captain's wax stamp, he unfurled the parchment and quickly read the contents. The clawed tips of his wings helped spread out the surface which would attempt to roll back in on itself. Stellar peaked at the scene, giving a few seconds of a glance before snapping back to overwatch. She knew who Sabor was, one incredible flyer who could handle the coastal winds and skimp the surface of raging waves which gave the hint in the city's name. Needless to say, only the most capable Thestrals who could push their wings to the limits were stationed along that particular area, the swells and waves could dwarf the light houses which dotted the tall steep cliffs that terminated the grassy land before the mighty ocean. Nothing really occurred along that sector unless it was a sea monster of some kind or a ship needed rescuing after being capsized. If the message was urgent enough to be sent post haste and not in the commander's mail, perhaps they might have their lead yet on the shadow followers yet.

"Give this to the other lieutenants and have them chose three platoons of those who fit the request of Captain Sabor. I'll send a reply after I'm done here." he nodded with stern eyes as the messenger bowed again and flew off the carpeted ground to make haste.

"Sitrep?" he heard as the large doors closed shut.

"Seems we might have a source of siren gemstones after all. One of Sabor's patrols came across a resting unit, several females and offspring, with what can only be determined to be an equal amount of males. They're in a cove that's shielded from the tide, which right now there's a nasty storm passing through and keeping them beached. Probably because of their young, and the Captain wants to secure them if not remove the threat before they do anything to the city. If what those three sirens did in that other world that the princess handled with Princess Celestia's former student, we can't take any risks. They need to be collected and stamped out before innocent ponies become their puppets and food." one of his hooves nashed into the carpet.

"Sirens? Haven't seen those things in ages! Just another bunch of beasts to threaten the peace. Just like those of the Shadow... how many guards does the Captain have? If he's requesting additional support..." she pondered out loud.

"He has the entire tenth company to watch over the west coast, so they're spread out too thin to respond to his call. Units from Canterlot will join to remove the risk of breaking patrol watch points just to snag the Hippocampus, plus they'll be fresh and ready for combat. The hard part will be dealing with their enchanted voices, their primary weapon. The Captain will be using this opportunity to experiment with methods to block out the spell, so in any case this will provide a good training exercise for the Terror Wings." he snorted as Sabor's list of methods played out in his mind, from bees wax to wards their fellow thestrals were about to make history with the rare fell creatures.

"The Terror Wings? Really?! Isn't that a bit of an overkill? Why pull such valuable warriors from here when we know we're being constantly spied on. They're the ones keeping the majority of the riff raff away from the castle perimeter as we speak." she protested until the commander held a wing out to stop her.

"He only asked for three guards from that unit, in case the operation goes awry they'll tail the creatures until another mount can be enacted. That or if something from the deep picks up on the fighting that will likely taint the waters. The males appear to be built for fighting, so there are to be expected casualties. They'll intercept anything that looks hungry to allow the mission to continue." he retracted his limb and went back to looking to the lone book on the table.

"Good, I thought we were sending three platoons worth of them. Luna knows we'd not be able to handle the current situation without the bulk of them here." the mare sighed.

"The Captain wants to secure the targets to interrogate them as well, how he plans on doing that I don't know. He thinks they're possibly allied with the A.O.S.. A lot of question we'll get answers too very soon if this goes smoothly which that rarely happens. He's even acquired the local guard to provide ground support if the sirens should move onto land. For their sakes I hope they don't harm the foals... an enraged mother is far from the desirable situation he's trying to aim for." Vigil felt the weight of the coming mission finally weight upon his shoulder, knowing lives would be lost with the sirens packed into a corner like a scared manticore with kittens.

"Hopefully only the males suffer, the sirens and their young they'll act accordingly and easily be coraled assuming the methods to remain immune to their songs proves fruitful." the mare responded as she looked out the window to her right as she pondered the coming operation.

She never had the stomach for dealing with monsters, especially those with families. The agents that tried to usurper the crown were another thing, former denizens of Equestria and beyond corrupted with dark magic. They had no more connections with their loved ones if they had any as their own souls were traded for power and abilities. Their minds were nothing, just filled with jealousy and hate to harmony and order, even Discord disliked them for their willingness to kill. The former spirit of chaos disapproving of a certain kind of chaos, and in his own words were 'You can't enjoy chaos with others if they aren't there anymore.'

Canterlot High Entrance Steps

"What do you girls think? Flash and I believe this kind of team will win us the gold against Crystal Prep, seeing as they haven't fought off magical creatures or handled dire situations like we have?" Sunset explained as she stood before the group with Flash beside her.

She had sent an emergency text for everyone to meet up, surprisingly she arrived early enough to school before Rainbow would use it for a broken guitar string. Though unlike the message the prismatic haired guitarist had in mind, Sunset ensured it was detailed enough that no one would panic that another villain or magical issue had risen. She owed it to Rose Luck, who woke her up since she still messaged her as the care taker role that had been taken up. It was a nice sentiment she really hoped wouldn't become a habit and yet it was a nice way to wake up in the morning to be noticed and thought of. As well as having a full nights rest with the herbs as well, it was heaven to have a curse and Discord-free sleep; her body noticed.

"Well sugarcube I'm not going to be busy at the farm with much, so I reckon you have me on board!" Applejack pointed a thumb at herself as she gladly took the offer.

"I'd love to play some games! Especially with the entire school riding on our win! I already got a huge super duper victory party planned with music and food and more games!" Pinkie hopped as she giggled in jubilation.

"And I was going to submit the uniform ideas for the games, but now that we're all going to be on the team. I'm going to put my all in the final designs even if I have to start from scratch. By the way what are the games this time? I'll need to know if I must acquire reinforced fabric or breathable material?" Rarity pondered as she began to type notes into her phone.

"You already know I'm game for this! And I already have the training in mind for all of us so we're ready for the fire of the oven! Those snobs won't see what's coming." Dash pumped a fist as her eyes gleamed with a soul ablaze.

Flash interjected before Fluttershy could submit her answer, "Actually I've already had Sunset lead our team, I asked her since she's been having trouble sleeping and all. Plus, Principle Celestia thinks it would be a good way to improve the student's outlook on her, after the dance incident of course." he sheepishly grinned when the one in mention mumbled a groan.

While obviously peeved she wouldn't lead the team, Dash conceded knowing the state of her friend and how the school still feared her. A good leader doesn't make themselves the star of the team, they support it even if they play on the side lines. Something she once told Scoots when she tried out for basketball and soccer to be like her, and the reputation she built up going back on her word was impossible.

"That's cool, besides you two seem to have all this in the bag so I guess it's a sure in win! Hey! I got an idea to get the school into the spirit, so while you guys get things shaped up I gotta talk to the band to help. Later guys." Dash slung her guitar case on her back and walked away waving to the others.

"Well either Dash has matured some or she's looking forward to earning a title from beat'n those Crystal Prep jerks. Probably the second one, that is if we can bet them first off... so what's the plan Shimmer?" Applejack inquired.

"After this morning I'd like to get focus on getting our bodies ready for the schedule we worked out. Kind of Flash's idea and partly from Coach Iron Will, we were able to convince him to give us a lesson on diet and its impact on athletes. So Flash and I will go talk with him after we submit the forms for the team roster to the principle. I'm sure we'll get the approval without any problems. Then the training regime can be formulated after she gives us the schedule for the games. I hear they're setting up a special course this year." the intriguing hint had the girls in curiosity mode.

"A new course, my word you think the roller derby was enough last time." Rarity flinched, "I just hope it won't be something as dangerous."

"I bet it'll be on bikes with dirt racing! I've always loved the amazing colors those bikes come in, I've seen them on TV with Limestone since she loves that kind of thing. I had so many ideas for dirtbike parties, but they got some horsepower that might be a tad dangerous. Vroom Vroom!!" Pinkie imitated the action of revving the vehicle.

"I'm sure it'll be something nice and safe for everyone as well as be a very competitive event." Fluttershy added as she put a hand on the pumped up party girl.

"I'll talk to Granny Smith and see if she knows any good Apple Family recipes for energy and stuff. Every Apple family farm is run by just a handful of folks that can work day and night and keep on going the next day." she proudly stated.

"Well looks like we got ourselves a competition to win, and classes soon. I'll catch you guys later, Sunset we'll drop off the roster at lunch sound good for you?" Flash who had been standing next to her tucked the sheet of paper into his jacket before readjusting his pack.

"Ya, I'll see you then, remember though your going to eat what I do and get you use to eating healthy." she bid him goodbye as he ventured off through the school doors.

"My my you two are getting rather... friendly these days? Might it have been something after our talk at sugarcube corner?" Rarity chimed as she held a questioning look and stance at the fiery haired girl.

"Come to think of it, other than us, Rose Luck and Flash have become the best of buds after I asked them to help you when I had to pull double shifts with Ms. Cake." Pinkie giggled, "I beat my old record on the number of cakes I could make in four hours from start to finish, fifty cakes!"

"Who would order that many?" Rarity asked as she glanced at the part time baker.

"Oh! Its that big convention thingy going on right around the time of the Friendship Games. Some kind of banquet with the organizers and donators who made it possible, suppose to bring in... three thousand people!" she answered.

"Impressive, but back to my first question, you two are just friends right? I mean he is your ex-boyfriend and all, and normally both parties tend to keep distance with each other unless..." she squinted as if looking for the nail to hit.

"Now see here Rares, she knows full well Twilight's got a thing for him. Besides there's nothing wrong with bei'n friends with your ex, heck even my family's hired their ex's before because they needed the money and those bonds became great work relationships. You just read too many of those darn romance novels with that over done drama and such." Applejack scoffed.

"Well you seem like you read them too if you know that much about them. But friends look out for each other, and when she comes back I just wanted to ask that way we don't have a... problem arise." her purple hair swayed as she looked at Sunset with an understanding air about her, "You've been put through quite a lot with that nasty hex you've been harassed with and I can't imagine what its been like for you. However, we all know how much our Twilight likes Flash, so I'm just making sure the group dynamics won't be... shaken over a boy. Things can get nasty with such a matter, and I don't want to see my friends fight." she gave a soft smile which Shimmer realized what she meant by her asking.

"You have my word that I'm not trying to seek him out again, actually he's brought her up when we talked so I know there's something between the two that I have no intention of getting in between. Flash is a nice guy and all, but I'm too busy with everything and school relations to get involved with someone again. He's just a good friend is all, we're only close because we did date and so we know one another well enough. Plus it's not like anyone else other than you guys and Rose actually want to hang out with me." she looked a little down knowing how true that statement was.

"Ya see Rares, now you gone and made her limp like a sun burned sapling! Look ah don't think of anything that's gone on between ya'll so don't feel like we'd leap on you just because your getting all chummy with him. You need all the friends you can get so the school doesn't see ya as a threat anymore." she patted her shoulder to further assure her.

"Thanks Applejack, that means a lot. And it's okay Rarity, I know you look out for everyone's best interest." Rose's words echoed in her mind when she vowed to just be friends, it really wasn't fair to Flash in the long run and he really liked herself enough to be such a good friend when she needed it.

"Well, first class will be start'n soon, see ya'll later." Applejack waved off just as she gave a stern stare to Rarity.

"Yes... same here, if you could find out about the games so I can perfect the clothes and gear for me that would be fantastic?" the fashionista asked.

"Not a problem, I'll see ya later then." to which pinkie who'd been talking to Fluttershy about something for the last minute looked up to see Rarity leave.

"Fluttershy and me gotta lot to do for chemistry class, stay safe Shims!" the two disappeared in a blur of pink tones with Fluttershy looking being dragged behind.

Left alone with time to kill, she let go of whatever Pinkie was up to and decided to write again to Twilight back in Equestria. So far she'd not seen the Wyvern again since the other day which was a blessing, still it was a new development that had to be told. It was starting to worry her that she'd yet to get through to the princess of friendship, she understood someone like her would be busy or misplace things in the library. Using the steps she sat down and took the magical book, turning to the last page she hadn't written on. Her best bet would be to keep sending data over and among other things till a reply came, so the pen in her fingers began to transcribe.

'Hey, Princess Twilight, been awhile and still haven't heard back from you. Had a pretty nasty freak out when Discord sort of made things harder for me, the curse was lifted from my sleep. It came at me in waking life, which means I may get to rest again and not go insane. Though now I have a giant dragon that might haunt me and cause everyone to keep seeing me as something dangerous or to be feared. Still haven't made much of a dent in the way the school sees me, but I was never set on expecting results in such a short time span even after the band competition against the sirens. In fact, I think those three made it worse for me, if it's not Twilight coming from Equestria than it must be evil.'

She paused to consider what else she could send before ending the message. While the hiatus commenced, she failed to notice a bus slowly creep to a stop before the school and drop off a disguised Twilight who began scanning the area around her with a small black pocket watch in her hand. The dark violet device was the scanner she built the night before, a unique item which homed in on magical sources using the blue LED striations in the outer halo of its surface. Waving it around the light soon narrowed upon the school's equine statue, though she knew the school had been the source of the energy spikes her equipment picked up. A statue was not what she expected to be harboring the portal, in any case she tested the scanner again and moved it about before confirming the ping.

Twilight had nothing to go with as far as what to do to with the portal or test if as much as she wished was possible. The present danger of the Rainbooms had her frantically going for the objective and high tailing out of the area. Pictures of who the girls were and her doppel ganger provided the sole means of who she needed to avoid, what they could do to her was the variable she didn't want to find out. In haste, she missed seeing Sunset looking deeply into a book while her device glowed even brighter once the third bulb clicked on. A couple of feet away from the concrete marker, her eyes gazed all over for any obvious signs of magic or energy of some kind. Her legs moved as her hands touched the surface, the scanner could alert her of the portal anymore as the light followed the source like a compass would the north pole. That proved she had the location figured out in a much shorter time than she did expect. It made her happy to know the Dazzlings would actually have a way home, and not want to conquer the Earth even if it probably would do her people good. Placing a hand on the lower flat walls of the base, something miraculous happened as her skin graced what was an optical illusion. At first, her mind stalled when what should have been rough concrete with an unyielding quality had became nothing more than a vertical plane of what really felt like a cool pool of liquid. The edges along her skin as her fingers dipped through shined with a heavenly light as they disappeared, the further her hand went in the coldness spread.

Her curiosity climaxed once her hand completely disappeared up to the dull blue hoodie sleeve, and soon her finger tips were greeted with a warm sensation. The portal worked from what she ascertained, and either the portal had varying levels of sensations before the traveler arrived on the other side or she had a part of her in the world of Equis. The possibilities were amazing to consider, what would portal traveling feel like or do to the human body? The sirens were human, but their true forms were truly amazing to behold so what did that speak of other other creatures like Yellow? Would she herself turn into any number of potential mythical beasts or a pony? Would she become a siren too?

With her breath held painfully in elation, she failed to notice the scanner react to her actions. It soon popped opened and a luminous quartz stone inside in the shape of a tear drop blared almost blindingly. She flinched as the brightness sent her eyes into pain, even in daylight it had an unearthly illumination which created spots in her vision as if she had been introduced to a strobe light in a dark room. In those few seconds, the statue cracked down the side she touched as a multi-colored wisp of smoke flew from the fissure and into the scanner. Once it had been absorbed by the crystal, the device lost its light as the staggering girl nearly lost her footing pulling her hand out. The moment didn't go without notice as the radiance had Sunset quickly looking up to see the dazed figure near the monument.

"HEY! What are you doing!" she called out unceremoniously dumping the book off her lap and leaving her things on the steps.

That voice immediately sent Twilight into panic as the one good eye she could see through fell upon the one soul she didn't want to risk running into. While trying to rub the dots out of her sight, she took off with an uneasy stride looking for someway to escape. Only hearing the beckons of the girl hot on her heels, if she were caught now they'd ruin everything by finding out about the device even if she tried to lose it like a thief tossing out the goods while in a chase from the authorities. Her heart pumped rapidly with adrenaline that her system excreted, it gave her an extra step to boost away if only for a moment before her own limitations started to make themselves known. She'd already cleared the school grounds and headed for the west street she could cross over into neighborhoods. A chance to ditch the pursuer in a few yards was risky, not to mention the chance of a guard dog mauling her.

"Wait! What were you doing back there! Wait!!" Shimmer yelled out again.

She pushed herself into actually trying to catch the mysterious person, closing the distance slowly with every step. Not wanting to tackle the stranger for fear of causing injury, but the hoodie could be brought down so at least the face and hair could be remembered. The problem was the street closing in on them, traffic still flew by at this hour and fear that the escapee would attempt to leap into oncoming traffic sent a shiver down her spine. It would be now or never, let them escape or risk leading them into choosing a dangerous way of getting out of her grasp.

Twilight noticed the moment she had gotten ten feet away from the road that there were cars passing ahead, unless the light turned red she'd have little chance of getting away. Her original plan went for a detour, she could die now or get captured with the mission needing her findings to start the gears. Huffing heavily as her lungs started to burn, the covered girl skidded across the pavement just around the corner nearly going into the street and continued along the perimeter of the school border heading north. Sunset still a few feet away from her, expertly avoided that very mistake and never let the gap lengthen.

"I just want to talk! Stop!"

The will and energy to continue wavered as the muscles burned as much as when she piggy backed Adagio out of the Sushi Bar. She could start to taste iron in her throat which wasn't a good sign, though it did show how out of shape she was once again. At the rate she was going, it would be a high probability of capture and failure. Adagio wouldn't trust her with anything important and Yellow might pull his books from her and the promise of magic before they left. Her world would come down upon her and leave nothing to scavenge with. Principle Cinch might even remove her lab room from her ownership with the project that wouldn't have any way to live up to the hype she gave in her report.

"I'm going to catch you so just stop and let's talk! I don't want to accidentally hurt you!" she heard the fanatic behind her and realized how close she was.

The fear offered her a momentary lift as sweat started to peak through her pores, for how much longer she could keep it up was a matter of second. If she was going to be caught she'd give them a chase to remember, and in that decision she forced her legs past their breaking point and coordination. Just as she reached the next corner to take where a taxi waited on the edge of the road, a mere two feet from the edge she crossed her legs and sent her front careening onward while her arms and elbows she tried to bring up to guard would collide with the harsh abrasive stony ground. Sunset gasp as she witnessed the moment before her, it was far too late to catch up and stop the accident from happening. Likely the girl would skin her face up good and possibly gain a hairline fracture or bust a few teeth. Worse yet she might bite her tongue off, all those thoughts hurdled themselves in her mind within those few precious seconds.

Bracing herself for the pain, Twilight's device impacted the unforgiving ground right after her knees slammed first. The force of the contact did something to the scanner which flashed away the physical plane and into a hole through the universes. Sparkle's senses picked up on the lack of any collision and instead the turbulence of a free fall, once she achieved high enough speed her arms were yanked away from her face as she beheld a scenic forest coming right at her as if to triple her painful landing she expected originally. No scream came, far too stunned and shocked to react as her life passed before her eyes, she didn't expect this to happen much less why it did.

When the end seemed nigh, a cloud bank oddly shaped into a house came into her pathway from the three mile drop. Passing into it, her speed decelerated by the weird thickness of the water vapor that it should never had possessed in nature. Contact nonetheless set the scanner off again and opened another portal as soon as she exited the downy soft cloud, her speed now no more faster than if she simply fell onto the floor from a standing position. Where the new gateway lead to was a bright yellow shiny surface.

Sunset had been left gawking at the scene, how the girl simply fell into what looked like the wilderness which seemed all too familiar to her. Skidding to a halt before she too joined the unfortunate stranger who quickly went from a fully sized teenager to the pinprick of an ant. Whatever happened, the worse had only become even horrific as the fresh thoughts of the person splattering on the forest floor surged into Sunset's eyes. She just let someone panic and fall to their doom, and all to avoid her like the plague just like anyone else.

The portal slowly closed like evaporating water, as if to save her from seeing the gruesome act. The taxi not a few feet from her had its driver get out with the same stupor she possessed, his jaw loose in the mind breaking trick of someone disappearing from their world. What could she say to them that wouldn't make her the villain one again? The police who'd come and investigate and the missing persons report that the stranger's family would likely send out. Her life would crash once again, fate seemed to love playing with her.

THUD

A loud oof followed the sound of something heavy landing on top of the taxi and the squeaking of the the shocks. Both of them looked to see Twilight roll off moaning as she essentially landed on the softest thing with the least amount of force she had not long ago reached the maximum. To her credit, she took it like a champion and simply rubbed her left cheekbone with one hand while another held her sore chest.

Instantly, the driver reacted and came to her aid, "You need to go see a doctor for that! Come on I'll take you to one." the taxi operator quickly pounced on the obscured person and gently urged them inside the back seats through the sliding door.

That's when Shimer shook off the bombshell that just fell, "Hey!! Wait! I have to talk to them!" she breathed as her still recovering body from the sprint found it hard to speak a whole sentence coherently.

The man closed the door and moved to his seat, "Sorry there miss, but company policy I have to help anyone whose injured and she's fallen on top of my van. Insurance speaks first, have a nice day!" he smiled at her before locking the doors and pulling away.

Sunset tried to stop them, however it was far too late once he merged into traffic with a lucky gap between two trucks. With that, she was left with a whole assortment of questions concerning what in Celestia's name had just happened. Magic just occurred and saved the stranger from her and a grisly death, the bitterness of the new discovery forced the girl to her knees.

PreviousChapters Next