• Published 6th May 2016
  • 4,170 Views, 66 Comments

The Siren's Remorse - TheronSniper



With the Dazzlings pendants shattered and their bodies fully human, they are left to life's machinations. However, a fellow banished soul might be the key to returning their former selves and taking revenge with a gout of flame.

  • ...
19
 66
 4,170

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 30 Your A Dazzling Now

Ch. 30 Your A Dazzling Now

Flash and Sunset made their way to Rose's home, taking a well traveled route to avoid said dog that might still be roaming nearby. Cars were pulling into their garages and driveways, where adults were hauling their groceries and work to the front door. Kids were enjoying the rest of the day on the streets with their modes of transportation. Skate boarders loudly rolling along the pavement, bicycles skittered as the talented few performed small tricks on curbs and slopes. Birds chirped and sang through the massive cottonwood trees towering overhead and the few garden front yards, flying to the branches effortlessly.

Most of the homes they passed by were large multi room buildings, perfect for big families or those who needed extra rooms for their busy lives. A few women were outside their homes letting toddlers play with their toys on the soft lush green lawns. Playful little scenes which put the two teenagers at ease seeing a little child so happy and carefree, something they yearned for themselves if but for a moment.

They passed by a few spiked black iron fences before happening upon the target destination, the botanical themed house which stood out from the rest. Just as memory served, the numerous flowering plants released a soothing aroma that seemed to weed out the negative emotions of the day. Mixed in with that were the various smells of a freshly cooked meal, such a sensory overload tingled their minds and had their noses sniffing none stop trying to identify what was being prepared. All together with the quaint little house, it was a veritable paradise built upon years of pride and knowledge to perfect the plant diversity and its brilliance.

"Wow! I'm really looking forward to this." Sentry sighed happily as they walked to the front door.

"I know, it rivals that of Pinkie's baking..." she replied still holding onto his hand since they left the school.

Though she hated to have said that, something worked into her thoughts to speak that which was true. While Pinkie knew her way around a stove and fluffy pastry, the flavorful air carried the mixture of all kinds of ingredients from meats to vegetables, fruits to sauces. There seemed to be a banquet awaiting through the closed front door, and their stomachs were ready to accept the free meal.

"Here... I got it." he managed to say as he hazily hit the door bell.

It did not take long for them to hear the footsteps of someone before the door opened, where Rose Luck stood bright eyed and very excited.

"Glad you two could make it, I was starting to get worried for a moment." she greeted them and moved aside as they entered.

"Again, I'm totally sorry about that, I kinda had... a run in with that nightmare again. Long story but we're here! And I'd rather put it aside." Sunset released Flash's hand and went to hug Luck who accepted with wide arms.

Rose squealed, "I wish I could have helped you, I remember what happened the last time." she gave a short embrace which had Sentry release the hand he'd been holding, "Whatever your going through it seems our herbs won't help now. If you ever think of a way I can help, don't hesitate okay?"

She felt Rose gently patting her back before letting go, "Don't worry, you two are on the top of my list, after all you did save me from being squashed by that truck."

"Not the finest moment in our lives, oh, Flash how's it been?" Luck turned to him as she went to close and lock the door.

"Swell, didn't run into that dog thankfully. By the way, your place is almost like a heaven for noses, whatever your mom made seems like it should be in a five star restaurant." she chuckled lightly at the compliment, Shimmer and him followed deeper into the dwelling.

"My mom tends to go a little overboard now and then, just cooks for an army." they passed the junction where the front door hall led to a stairs just a step to the left and into what looked to be a living room further down, to the right were closed doors that were possible bedrooms but little could be determined.

The wonderful aromas wafted heavily from the corridor into what was likely the kitchen and dining room as the sounds of cooking wares clacked and clinked. A few more steps confirmed the suspicion, an open cooking area carried a folkish feel with wood cabinets and dated appliances. The counters were packed with activity and steaming dishes, their eyes sighted a few freshly used crock pots and heaping bowls of mouth watering goodness ready for serving. As they were directed to the table, Sunset could see the kitchen led into the laundry area with the large glass windows to the backyard that let in the sunlight. The dining room looked nothing special other than a huge oval shaped oak table with a few freshly picked flowers in a red ceramic vase. Plates had already been set and two pitchers stood gaining dew from their iced contents.

"Your home is so nice! Its so homely." Shimmer noted as she looked at all the family photos and nick nacks hanging on the walls that did not possess glass windows that showcased the even more glorious backyard garden.

"My parents have strived to make this place a perfect little eden, right mom!?" Luck asked as she gestured the two to sit at the table, where her mother soon popped up from the big counter like a jack in a box.

"Yes honey, hopefully we can get that bee colony established this month and use our flowers to make our own honey too!" the woman answered as she went to the stove and pulled out a stoneware dish in her gloved hands.

"Bee farming? Sounds dangerous." Sentry peered over at the sizzling dish the woman pulled out.

Now that she stood back at the closest counter to inspect her cooking, he could see Rose's mother appeared to be the embodiment of natural beauty. Lean yet fit, her soft short pink hair contrasting well with her light olive skin, worn straight down as if she were mimicking a willow tree. There were her lovely brown chestnut eyes that all seemed to give her a very young appearance as well as deep and inviting personality. Not a single wrinkle of old age could be detected anywhere on the skin, he guessed their lives around plants must be keeping them very healthy if what Sunset had planned for their future meals.

"None sense, bees are very friendly and only require love, care, and respect aside from the basics. Like any child of mother earth, the ways of life need empathy and understanding no matter how dangerous they may seem. We've taken classes to care for colonies, seeing the different personalities of each hive and their queens. Be careful and be healthy as they say." the woman looked up from her inspection.

"Mom I'd like you to meet Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry, guys this is Oleander Mallow my mom!" Luck took the moment to introduce the two parties.

"Welcome to our home, Rose talks about you two more than she does about plants these days." Mallow giggled as she went to the sink to wash her hands.

"Thanks for sharing your dinner with us." he smiled back to her.

"Ya, its really nice of your family to invite us over, we'd hate to impose." Shimmer fiddled with her hair as Rose set about pouring lemon tea from one of the pitchers into their glass cups.

Oleander shook her head, "After what Rose has told us, it would be a travesty to not do such a thing. Besides, any left over food goes to my husband who eats like a lion at work, better to see how my cooking skills are with new taste buds to test on."

"Speaking of which, here comes my dad Mr. Basil Mallow." Luck introduced the new man who came from up the stairs signaled by the prior sounds of shoes on wood steps.

In his hands a botanical catalogue of seeds was open and had his focus completely absorbed as his feet carried him onwards. With one hand on the book and the other adjusting his glasses, frankly was lost in his task as he kept walking towards the table as if to robotically sit down out of routine. It took his wife to cough into her hand to make him aware, to which he looked up completely lost as he noticed Flash and Sunset. A tall sturdy built cream color man who like his wife appeared very healthy even with a bit of a gut starting to show. He wore casual mint green cargo shorts whose pockets were filled with pens, garden tools, and a lone handkerchief that hinted at a very busy person. The white shirt being worn had the nursery and flower store business name and logo emblazoned on the front, although it looked worn and stained in areas. Sunset figured that was his work shirt he used at home to relax in while he probably helped take care of their numerous flowering bushes and trees. Surprisingly he had similar hair to hers in that it was streaked, with dark brown and mocha coloration, thinning in the front with slight recession however. Overall, Shimmer could tell he was a gentle soul who seemed content with his little life of botany and his family, with no drive to go big and attain more.

"Dear, we have guests remember?" the woman inquired as she started to pick up a few large bowls to take to the table.

He at first seemed as if he was far from understanding what she said, looking towards her and then to the two new comers, "Huh? Could have sworn Rose said they'd be here next week? Well anyways, pleasure's mine, I'm Fern Mallow and welcome to our humble abode."

With a quick exchange of pleasantries, "So your Luck's dad? Cool, you must know a lot about cultivation and preservation?" Shimmer asked from her seat after she reached over and shook his had after Sentry.

"Quite right, I've been trying to track down some exotic seeds to grow Jack Fruit and Custard Apple, the Thailand variety as well as the Brazilian. Hard to nail down a good legitimate supplier these days." he lamented as the catalogue was situated under his right arm as he poked at it.

"So your expanding your store or something?" Flash picked up.

Fern nodded, "A local farmers market are looking to bring new vegetables and fruits for the ever increasing customer base, they came to us, willing to give a free booth if we could supply said goods. However, the issue is money spent on seeds to grow or an already established plant. Transplants can be difficult to sustain and may not fruit if too stressed, and don't get me started on the weather conditions as well. Seeds would be far durable and easier to cultivate and acclimate to this growing zone. I could go into everything involved but I'm sure dinner would be cold before I finished." he laughed to himself.

Oleander gave him a light scolding about talking shop during a meal at the table, in a way Sunset sort of saw the same intellectual personality that Princess Twilight possessed. It was odd to see it in another person granted she never really knew anyone in the entire town since she arrived. The feeling was nice, a fresh dip and new social banters to recognize aside from the kids at the school.

"I hope you'll like it, I made pork cutlets with applesauce marinade spiced with a few herbs and pan seared a little for flavor. We have couscous with roasted garlic, six bean casserole with my own vinaigrette, fresh greens from our garden garnished with rose and hibiscus petals. You can decide which of the vinaigrettes I have that you can use unless you like it by itself. A little tofu noodle soup I'm trying out with our own vegetable stock homemade for the broth, I wasn't sure if anyone had any dietary restrictions. Then finally, an apple crisp I just pulled from the oven." she shrugged before beaming at the two with the love in her cooking around her like a bubbly aura much like Pinkie Pie.

"Dude... um err.... excuse me ma'am, you made all this?" Flash asked feeling his mouth water.

Ms. Mallow clasped her hands together, "I had a mother who just loved to cook for her family, and with me being the oldest she sorta rubbed off on me with the love of the culinary arts. Though it probably helped that we run the business that we do, it opens the door for all sorts of flavors and tastes with plants. You'll taste the coriander and clove in the soup."

"We're very grateful to you all for sharing your food with us, and thank you for taking the time to have alternatives available. I... really don't eat meat." Shimmer grinned.

"None sense, we know some folks don't or can't eat certain things. I know with my kidney stones I can't eat too much meat myself or certain things like spinach. Oxalate content too high can give me what Ole' went through when she gave birth to our little Rose. Passed a few before I learned my lesson." he whole heartedly laughed.

"Ya, pops rolled on the floor in so much pain we thought he was dying, thankfully the doctor was able to use a few reliable and quick treatments to avoid performing surgery. The pain he was in..." Luck drew out on the letter n as she appeared to recall that horrible moment.

Though the two did not understand what had happened by the differing reactions from Rose to her father, her mother seemed a bit miffed about the topic herself.

"We don't talk about such things as we're about to eat, save it for later. Now, everyone dig in." the older woman announced.

The dinner went with a near blur as everyone acquainted themselves with one another, the huge amount of information had the act of eating not only prolong itself to an hour straight. Sunset felt they'd only been there for half an hour, to which a random text message from Pinkie allowed her to see the actual time. Conversations grew interesting as Rose's parents went on a tangent about their lives before and after they were engaged. The places they traveled to, their education and youth much unlike hers, and then a little patch about Rose during her baby years which earned a scowl from the unlucky girl.

After the last spoonful of the apple crisp landed the utensil down, Oleander began to gather up the left overs with Fern and Rose aiding in cleaning the table.

"Oh uh, let us help you, it's the least we can do?" Sunset asked as she tried to stand up to take her plate with Flash.

"Don't worry about it deary, three bodies in the kitchen's more then enough, besides your a guest. The fact that you two ate so much is more than a suitable thank you." Oleander waved off the aid kindly.

"Well if you say so?" sitting back down, they watched the little family efficiently handle the duties of cleaning the table and storing the remains.

"Oh, why don't you guys head to the living room while we finish up. Let your food go down before you head home." Luck offered to which they obliged eagerly with the weight in their bellies teasing them towards a nap.

"Woohoo I'll do just that, think I ate enough for three days straight! Awesome food again Ms. Mallow." Sentry congratulated as he stood up and pushed his seat in.

Sunset led him down the hall and to where they figured had to be the right room, as they retraced their steps and took a right at the stairwell. If she could akin the living area to a specific type, it would be best summarized as a study and greenhouse all in one. Sure there were plenty of cushioned recliners and a long sofa which faced a decent sized TV screen. Yet the longest wall possessed a very large rectangular window which though it was dark outside now, she could sense the amount of light it let in. The adjacent walls possessed ceiling high bookshelves filled with what she guessed where everything anyone needed to know about plant life and caring for nearly every type. A lone coffee table by the seats had stacks of photography and botany text books with tabs in various pages from heavy use and reference.

"Wow, they're pretty serious about their greens?" Sentry spouted as he looked everywhere.

Sunset gazed at the two window length growing containers under special lights to grow the seedlings underneath, trailing her eyes down their ends to even more potted plants on stands or sharing shelf space. The entertainment stand for the TV even possessed succulents in shallow plates, some sporting colorful flowers and varying kinds of spikes.

"Ya..."

"Glad you appreciate it." Sunset turned around stricken from her curiosity to see Rose behind her.

Before she could say a word, Luck brought out a crystal from a pants pocket and held it before her. Shaking her hair and filling the room with a wonderful floral scent, it had an immediate effect. Though unlike what she did to Flash, the two of them began to feel drowsy as their eye lids started to flutter shut. Sunset tried to make sense of it all, but all that was certain was that she needed to go to sleep. It just came upon like a warm blanket, with which her legs soon gave out under her and sleep consumed the world.

Town Plaza by the Food Truck

"Twilight!" Sonata called out and ran up to embrace her friend.

Once again, her powers allowed her grip the poor girl and lift her up without much of a try. Smothering the human with affection after such a harrowing moment with Adagio and Aria, it felt like a wash of clean water refreshing to the soul.

"Bout time you finally got here. Something's really wrong with her and I believe the gems are wacked, thanks alot Yellow..." Aria grumbled and gave some room for them to inspect the golden siren.

"Ya like for realzies! She let the last place go completely bonkers, and then sent that bus driver guy over there to cause this huge pileup with cops and stuff!" Sonata added.

"Don't forget you said you sensed something in her gem doffus." the remark caused the light blue skinned girl to roll her eyes and sigh out of frustration.

"I need to see this for myself." the crimson haired man still in his office suit marched past Dusk who'd yet to release Twilight out of her deathly grip.

Serak followed closely behind him, eager to see the emergency which had shown its symptoms already in a bad way. The two men passed by Aria keeping their eyes glued to the guilty looking one before them, still on her knees very unsure of what was about to happen. Her meeting with the only siren she held so dear to her other than her father and the pod, had shaken her resolve and left little to give any kind of witty way of handling the situation. She'd just have to take what came and hopefully protect herself in some impromptu trick of the words.

She tensed up from their shoes clacking loudly, the still emotionless faces they wore. Would they take away their gems for what she did?

Yellow stopped abruptly before her and soon took to her level and squatted with a hand out, "Let me see it." his voice deepened as if a parent were angered at their young.

Her magenta eyes glanced back and forth from his large hand to his still dead face, as if she had heard the most ridiculous statement in her life. Was he about to tear it from her? Did she need to even grant his request? Or was he actually going to help her with whatever seemed to be the issue with her all thanks to Sonata's little spell.

"Best let us see it love. That is, if you want to still be you before we even open the portal back home." a taxi driver she never met before joined them by as well to which she hopefully assumed to be apart of the mysterious group of lackies.

"There is no backing away from this, let me see the pendant." Yellow warned still holding a ready open hand to receive.

A strange sense of panic began to fester, making every limb twitch eagerly to move away from the men. Her own body attempted to decide for her or was subverting a will of its own to decide for her against the growing struggle she put up. It was a hateful feeling, she hated being told what to do, hated not being in control. So she fought the tenderness that soon prickled the surface of her skin, and the discomfort was noticeable to Yellow and Serak. Her hands scrunched into fists, her eye lids betrayed her, even every breath shivered as she failed to keep the struggle beneath eyes and ears.

Yellow took in the evidence and drew the conclusion he feared might have come to pass, in a split second decision he took back his hand and bit into the meat of the thumb's part of the palm. Using a rather sharp canine the skin ruptured under the quickly applied pressure and the wound began to bleed. Cadmium red bubbled up and soon spilt over the site, dripping down gracefully off the appendage in a steady second after second rate of flow. Adagio could only watch as she still battled to keep her flesh still.

The man moved his injury towards her, stopping just short of spilling blood on her clothing. He gave her a strange look, one that she could understand that he only meant to help her. No attempt to forcefully take the ruby from her or even grope around for it, he just eyed her like a statue in those gothic cathedrals humans went to for their gods blessings and prayers of aid. If it were not for the now crippling sensations going through her, nothing would have convinced her to side with him otherwise. So, she reached into her corset and underlying frilled shirt beneath to pull out the pendant with shaky hands.

Yellow said nothing as he waited for her to bring it fully forward till the black cloth which tethered it to her could stretch no more, only once in perfect reach did his blood finally drip onto the stone. Droplets dotted the little gem until they eventually coated it as the blood refused to fall off the sides of its forward facing facets. Seeming to pool as if the ruby was magnetized and attracting iron flakes, and the effect was immediate as the strange pull she experienced faded away.

Yellow let his life force continue to leave his body until the ruby soon appeared nothing more than an smooth oval in shape far larger than the original stone yet no different in color. The chemical reaction formed a strange cap on top its surface like it had been a trapped insect in amber, sparkling just like the ruby itself. Breathing relief as puppeteers strings were cut from her, Adagio marveled at what had happened completely shocked and floored by the oddness.

"W...what did you do!?"

He pulled his hand away and pinched the wound, looking over it to ensure the coagulation set in as she asked again, "What did you DO!" her voice more worried than angry.

Serak seemed just as lost as her when Yellow finally spoke up, "A ward to mitigate the effects. You should be fine now that its crystallized."

"Against what? The souls of the dead sirens of this world!" she nearly shouted at him as she realized what might have been the problem.

"No..."

"Then what! Dare I ask?" her fingers going over the diamond hard surface of the ruby's casing.

He sighed heavily as if he knew something like this was bound to happen, Aria was the next one to speak, "Out with it already! Those stupid rainbooms could still show up after the idiotic move she just displayed today."

Twilight moved to go to Adagio, but a firm grasp of one of her arms held her in place. Turning to look, she saw Sonata had been the one to keep her in place and by the way she seemed saddened there was a good reason she stalled her.

"I was afraid of this, the gems having been buried with the soul essence of the departed. I had hoped their release would purify the stones, but it seems I was wrong..." he finally answered as he pulled his fingers from the self inflicted wound, revealing a freshly closed puncture as if he'd never hurt himself.

"What's wrong with our gems! Tell me now!" Adagio demanded frantically with a part of her wanting to toss it far away from her as if it were acidic.

Yellow gave a quick appearance of guilt himself, "I underestimated the human world and its ancient magic. They are a very emotional species whose magic corresponds to their psychological well being far more than any Equestrian could ever fathom. That said, it seems the rubies are tainted with the imprint of the old spirits that once dwelled within them. They may be gone, but the emotional signature is not and it seemed to be infecting your mind as it copes with a new host."

Adagio gasped before contorting her face with anger, "You said these were purified! You gave us faulty stones that would ruin us!"

"No, he gave you keys to serve your part. Magic of this world is far too rare to study and anticipate, there was no time to test them nor another siren of which to partake in it." Serak replied trying to calm her down.

"You would have died eventually within a few months if we did not chanced it. You youngsters don't even know why its a carnal sin to steal a gem from another of your kind do you? It's due to the fact that your immortality is sustained by the power you draw and contain, using negative emotions to convert into dark magic through those." Yellow said as he gazed into her eyes, their golden sheen glinting in the street lights around them.

"We were always told we just never could... it was impossible..." she rambled under her breath at his knowledge of her kind and the stories mothers told hatchlings.

"Some inhabitants of Equis that need magic to live to their fullest, when deprived of it their bodies decay faster than any biological entity should. Think of it like an electronic appliance, when you pull the plug from the power source... I had one of the others plant mana crystals near your workplace and where ever you slept, feeding you just enough magic to keep you from becoming dust." he pointed out what she couldn't believe even for a moment.

"We kinda trailed you... after the concert when your original gems were shattered. The plan was to convince you once the little battle of yours was won, but seeing as that did not happen we had to see how durable you were. I was one of the ones to seed those crystals near you, quite the hungry bunch you lot are." the taxi driver grinned for a second.

"Immortality once cut from power or magic that sustains it, your bodies would have deteriorated at a rapid pace. Seeing that we had little choice to be had I took the final steps to secure the gems, how you reacted to them and test for effects, which did indeed happen." she stared at him with a look that could have bored through granite, "We saved you at the cost of our own security, hoping your kind could lead to our solution and a way back."

She hesitantly held her words for a time as she mulled over his statement, "We... we would... have died?"

"Its a rather sad end for some of those exiled to this world when they attempted to continue whatever warranted their banishment. Whether it was a good or bad deed, selfish or generous... Yellow's seen what happened to those who use up or lose their magical artifacts that encompassed their powers. Some died doing good for others, becoming nothing more than dust to the winds. The less favorable had minor lives that lasted barely days before their drives ended their own." Serak said as she backed away a bit in revulsion.

Dazzle had heard their little tale, but she failed to see any real reason to believe it. Sure they had magic and potential to do what needed to be done, but were they truthful? Were they following her group just to study them like some animal or flower?

"What was it you did to my pendant." she hissed trying to think clearly.

Yellow stood up next and set his hands into the pockets of his suit, "Simple... dragons blood, the most powerful reagent used in magical potions. Its dominating effect can subdue tainted objects by it sheer innate willpower alone among other things if its fresh from the source, you should know about dragons and their cousins. Little can stand against them, and their element of fire and greed shadows all else."

Aria scoffed, while Sonata felt Twilight step back towards her as if appalled by the mere words spoken out loud. The insinuations had many contexts to pertain, but what meant what needed further input before any of them could intervene.

"I know that look Adagio Dazzle, my little gem..." Yellow pointed out, "I cannot say much else still... too early for that. Your a frog in a well, who only knows the sky above and not the rest of the world. Until we attain the portal and passage, will then you will know the truth about us. But trust in me that your well being is of the utmost importance."

"I find that... harder to believe now!" she fired back.

"Then you'll come to know I'm more than what meets the eye." he grinned before standing up and offering a hand to help her to her feet.

Adagio needed more answers, what so far she was supplied did little to ease her turbulent thoughts. How was he a dragon that could caste and use magic as they'd witness the vanquishing of the souls that harmed them before. Dragons of Equis were brutes and hoarders of treasure, and yet this man had run a shadow group and organized them properly. The few lesser dragons and younger ones she remembered crossing paths with were anything but as giving and intelligent as he. Those things were anger incarnate, masters of fire, and avatars of greed no matter what stage of life they were at. What Yellow Tail was, whatever Discord cursed soul and the abomination his true form must be, was a questionable issue to trust even the slightest now.

"So... what about the others? Sonata and Aria?" she begged the question.

Serak answered for him, "Different lives, different problems for the gems to lock onto and root. You seem to be the most troubled of your group. Which made you the liability."

"So I'm the weakest!?" she growled.

Yellow seemed unaffected by her bout and continued, "No, but you need help. And someone here has already taken it upon themselves to deal with the task. If you intend to keep on living that is, you'll accept their assistance."

"I don't need help, just fix our gems and we'll be on our way to prepare for that big event!" she shouted back.

Twilight ripped free from Sonata's hand and dashed into the fray, determined to prove herself loyal and trusting. The whole time watching the exchange between Adagio and Yellow Tail had her envisioning that near death experience being trapped with her in the restroom. The power that shielded the lonely sad girl, she felt Adagio needed to relive that moment of release. She had to do something and help, that was all that her little heart wanted was to be of use and not just someone in the way.

"Please, we don't mean to belittle you! Your no less of a person for taking help. Even the deadly Orcas of my world who live in pods and can take on Great White sharks, whenever they are beached or trapped I've seen people help them and they just know its a good thing. Look at how Sonata is, ever since she's told me about her past... she's been a whole other person hasn't she?" Sparkle stood before the dominant one of the vocalists, though she pleaded to her in a compassionate way it appeared to not hit home.

"I don't know what an Orca is, but sharks are little to us sirens back home. Those are mere guppies compared to what lurks in those oceans... Regardless, I'll pardon your insinuation you've made about me since you did give us back our lives as it seems. Let's call it even and ask nothing else from each other. I want Aria's stone capped as well, she can be a bit of a difficult one to handle." Dazzle tipped her head to the offending teenager.

"WHAT!! No, no you don't, this is all about you and your wacked out head!" the twin ponytails swayed as she fought the verbal jab.

"No, it is about you! You need to remember what happened Adagio, what you did... how much pain you held in..." Twilight knelt down and touched her arm softly.

"I..." the world rippled cutting off her retort.

'Oh no... not again!'

As soon as the human girl touched her, her vision flashed with moments from someone else's life. Pulsing from her on the ground with Yellow and his followers to some kind of room and herself as if she were having an out of body experience. Every time she saw herself, they were like scenes ripped from a film reel as she had appeared at first bent over a counter. Only to then pop a few steps away, it was disconcerting to witness herself and the awful state she appeared to be in. Though soon enough the real world stopped coming too, and she was looking through the eyes of someone else.

"why... tell me why..." she heard herself growl.

"Why... Why did they all have to go?! Why was I the last one!!" she whimpered holding her hands up to her face just inches away from the skin as if afraid to touch her own flesh.

"I... I... I couldn't ... hear their voices... their songs anymore. It... it was so quiet for all those years!" she gasped as if her breath was being stolen from her, "So quiet... no one there... so quiet... quiet."

Soon a new voice pipped up in the background, "I... I don't know!"

'Twilight's... I'm looking through her eyes? When did this happen!?' she shouted in her mind.

Adagio glared at herself, her hands shaking steadily with bridled fury, "Why was I left alone?! Why did they leave... leave me..." her volume dipped into whispers.

'Was this what those two were trying to get me to remember? Then how did my hands... what did I do?' she asked noticing the two women knocked out on the floor.

"... alone... I just wanted it to... to go back to the way things were! Was that so bad to ask?! Am I just some thing to be cursed while those ponies led such... perfect lives!!" another sound wave blared out and cracked the tile floor beneath her heels in a shocking manner that sent herself backing into the wall behind them.

'Was I... was I forcing myself to maintain control? No... I wouldn't ever get to that point of needing to suppress anything, but that power I projected... that has to be when the gem started to act against me!' she thought over the violent outburst.

Adagio surveyed the further destruction of her little moment, she was surprised they hadn't run into the Rainbooms yet with what destruction had been caused. Yet it was a new thing to witness, because a siren never had a reason to feel so troubled and need to use her own magic on themselves in such a way. She didn't even think that it was possible, was it a subconscious thing she did as a way for her body to fight back against the tainted gem?

"Why can't... I... make it... WORK!!!" as she cried out to the heavens where the ceiling panels above caved upwards before showering below from a ravaged main air duct.

'Wow, that was the same move we did when we had the upper hand against those multicolored misfits back at the battle of the bands. Good to know that's something I can do now. Oh! Dear Poseidon that's what I did!?!'

By now the vision skipped to her attacking the floor and going to town on it, exerting the magic she had into each punch which had to have shaken the building and even the road outside. How reckless she became as her own emotions consumed her, she was nothing more than a feral beast at that point. What did it for her were the audible sounds of bones giving in to the assault, the ruby stopped glowing like a light bulb which she figured was about that time she drained herself.

Further shaken by the action Twilight took as she rushed into herself and stopped her from doing any more harm. It felt weird to her to be hugging herself to put an end to her desperate situation, but the emotion carried with it as if she were the one consoling herself. She could barely feel the sensation of hugging, but it was there as much as the unabated crying her past self let out. For a sliver of a second, she gave into the little memory and felt for her own self like a sister to another. Such a broken thing she had become, having so much buried underneath her willpower that it only now began to make sense. It was fertile for the corruption to take root and do what it wanted to her. She was weak...

"Your not alone! You have Sonata, Aria, and me! Stop! Please stop hurting like this!!" Sparkle shouted over the girls bawling to get her words through to her ears, "You have help right here! You will succeed! You will make them all pay for what you've been through! We all will ensure you do! Your pod, me, and Yellow!!"

Adagio gasped at that, what she heard was unbelievable and very shocking from the little human girl. Those words were from the heart, her very spirit at least if her senses were able to carry into this strangeness she was thrown into again. Instead of the fear she felt, it evolved into a weak form of love and concern, something they couldn't feed on and they knew its flavor all too well. What were they to this ape who seemed so latched onto them, had she not understood and withheld some kind of reservations over them for what they tried to do? Rather than wanting them only for the sake of gaining magic, was she that invested in them to be so supportive?

The two knelt onto the destroyed floor together, embracing each other as Twilight took it upon herself to whisper reassuring words into the golden sirens ears to calm the weeping. Slowly she rocked herself, gaining a whole new perspective as the memory version of her became nothing more than that little hatchling that was separated from her family. Exactly as she wanted to feel and express if she had not been constantly on the run from the predators of the mainland, too afraid to go back into water ever again. Each time she wanted to try and cry it out, to cuddle against anything even a sapling tree, a hungry or territorial monster would spring out which she'd have no choice but to bottle up for another time.

Though that never came, and the cork stayed in the bottle for the contents to fester. She had to harden herself and become a matriarch if she were to have lived up till now. She couldn't have a regular life, growing up in a pod and learning with her fellow sirens. It was either eat or be eaten until she found Aria and Sonata and fortunately came across the large cities where life finally gave them a break, let her have peace.

As the world went to white, she could hear Aria and Sonata shouting in the background. Likely the moment they found her passed out by then, and to their credit they told her the truth from the get go. The fog vanished the moment it reached its thickest density, a blink and before her were everyone else as she now sat in the real world once again. To the others, they could see confusion and astoundment in her gaze which darted to each of them, not a few seconds ago the lead singer had essentially lost all sense of things. Her pupils dilated as each breath became shallow and consistent, causing everyone to pause and watch.

Sonata spoke up first as she stood next to Sparkle, "Adagio? Are... are you okay?"

"I'm not sure." acting as if she woke up from a long nap and her body groggily restarted itself.

"Tell me what you saw Adagio, because we have had something happen as of late and I'm still learning about the potential effects of it." Yellow asked with a softened look upon his angular face.

Even Aria peered over his shoulder to watch her matriarch stir, "I saw it... everything and more those two tried to tell me, about what happened back at the restaurant."

"Oh for the love of the sea bed! Finally she remembers everything!" Blaze said.

"Hush!" a wagging finger from Sonata buttoned her lips.

"I saw it through her eyes." Adagio then drew her attention at the young girl, the whole world nothing but oblivion as she tried to make two and two of the experience, "What did you... how did...?"

Sparkle blushed a little before looking to Yellow, "After I found the portal, the device we built trapped some of its magic and well... I can do magic with it. But I thought if I didn't have it that I wouldn't be able to do anything? Yet Adagio just recovered from her memory loss using my own to supplement."

"Sir, its possible the device still serves as the mana well for humans, but if its potent enough perhaps a little sticks to them? She did draw upon what likely needs immense amount of magic just to sustain it. She's not absorbing anything that I can feel or sense." Serak mentioned which had his lord rub his shaved chin.

"Wait wait wait, you mean we have a portal back home as in its been found just today?" Dazzle snapped back into her normal self as soon as the news was spoken.

"Yes, we found where the Equestrians have been coming through and that leaves us to do very little other then prepare. The proof is in her magic, I'm sure even you can feel it too, the little there is left." Yellow answered watching the siren confirm in her own way.

Catching Twilight off guard, she grabbed the hand on her arm and brought it too her face as her gem now quiet and obedient warmed the contact more than what should have been felt. Just like that day at the cafe before they went to that cursed school, the magical event that bathed over her after running out of the building to get a better look. Like the warmth of the sun, like a viper with heat pits she could also see the colorful spectrum as a little mist behind closed eyes. Faint yet lively enough to stain the human with mana, though it was far too little to be fed on.

"Your right, its barely a drop left in her but its Equestrian Magic! Pure and unrefined... Its delicious..." her gem tried to draw upon it naturally but the fumes were not attainable.

"Uhhh okay?" Sparkle felt a little uncomfortable by the way she confirmed her story.

"The important thing is that we found you three before the taint of sorrow took over you, and judging by the way you were. You would have done irreparable damage to the plan. To that I will ask you keep an eye on each of you until the time comes, monitor behavior and watch for excesses. While we cannot rule out Sonata and Aria's stones attempting the same thing, I believe they'll be less suseptible as I've said before. Now, can we stop having these occurrences happening so often its making it harder to set everything into place." Yellow sighed as he stood up with Serak and Twilight following in step.

He extended a hand out for Adagio to take, and helped her rise to her feet, "I second that, I hate having new things just spring up as much as anyone or anything taking control. I am the only one who does that."

"Good, now then its getting real late and I believe it is time to call it a day." Serak proposed as he gestured to the van.

"Hold on wait a minute..." Aria stopped everyone before giving off a quick tune towards the food truck.

"Oh that's right, they were there the whole time!" the people in the vehicle slumped in posture as Sonata slapped her forehead playfully.

"No loose ends." she ended the little song and walked to the taxi.

"Good, Twilight I'll send the scanner over to you through the school's mail after I study it a bit more. We can't have anyone else suffering the effects of magic especially you, we'll have to monitor whenever you acquire it. Though I can trust you to do that in my steed, your diligence in science and research speaks for itself. Oh and Adagio..." Yellow turned to the golden siren as she adjusted a wayward curly lock of hair.

"Yes? What is it?" she asked looking up from her handwork tidying herself up.

"The real reason I do not want to treat their gems as well, is due to the fact that I've all but used up my supply of mana and that goes for my blood as well. We've been at this for a very long tiresome time, search leads and looking for ways back home. The cost of using what magic I had, and to alter your gems... I had to condense much of my original blood to create such a pure filler. I cannot say I have enough left to do much anymore without taking from our reserves for the gateway. As I am anticipating the process to take additional spell work." he declared before continuing his walk back to the vehicle.

Aria and Sonata joined by her sides and looked her over to see if Yellow had indeed fixed her. She seemed well enough, and Dusk did not sense anything wrong with her anymore or at least she hoped she didn't miss anything. Twilight walked behind them unsure of what to expect from then on now that Dazzle knew about what happened. She hoped nothing changed between them, knowing that the pride she possessed had a huge ego behind it though for reasons.

"Yo, anything different now? Ya not going to go crazy in the head again?" Aria chuckled before a hand gripped onto her leather trench coat then closed the gap between their faces.

"If I hear you call me crazy again, so help me I'll toss you to the dogs! Now to answer your question, I'm quite fine. Free now that this has been neutralized..." she grabbed the amulet with her free hand and looked at the new gemstone.

Releasing the slipped lipped siren, Adagio studied her precious again but with far more detailed observations. Aria stumbled away and huffed, having had the confirmation very clear that her leader was indeed back to normal once again. As Sonata seemed to enjoy the reprimand she received by laughing into her hand smugly. It was then that she stopped mid stride while her subordinates took a few more steps before stopping as she had.

"You two head to the van, I need to have a word with our middle man here." she glared at them to drive the point on.

Not wanting to entice any more of her dominant ways of exerting control, the others picked up their pace. Leaving Twilight and her to the private conversation with the headlights of the taxi cab shining at them. Sparkle of course felt nervous at the request, but she figured the golden girl needed to probably ask something about the memory. She could not even fathom any harm coming to her, as there was little reason for it. Yet the strange behavior still coaxed the caution into her as she considered ways to get to Yellow if the gemstone had not been fully sealed.

"Just you and me, our human ally in this stain on our history. I must say don't get too cocky because of that... unfortunate turn of events back then. A momentary lapse was all that was." she began taking slower steps towards her with unamused eyes.

Sparkle wondered if she began to put up a front once more, hiding things for the sake of it, "I still stand by what I told you... if you saw it all of course. You will get your revenge with the others, and I will ensure it happens even if I have to go over there myself to see it through!" she stuttered her words trying to sound convincing and firm.

"Yes, I do remember that speech of yours which is why..." she hung on the last word.

Twilight felt herself tense under the judging eyes of the other worldly creature in human skin, one with a reason to exchange blood for blood. It felt as if she were back at Crystal Prep being evaluated by the other girls whenever she made a mistake. Unlike all the other times however, she would not shrivel under pressure as she needed to, had to have their friendship. The feeling of being needed and wanted had become far too addicting to let go.

"... I've decided to let you into my pod. It is a magnificent honor to be invited as a chosen one, the few, the rare. You've proven your loyalty and I can attest to the genuine essence of your words having seen it through your mind." Adagio watched as the girl before her sported wide eyes of wonderment.

"Which means you answer only to me and serve our purpose no matter the costs. I fought your other you, so I know you have a voice that can at least pass siren standards. However that is not why I'm letting you in, it's as the saying goes. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer... and if we should ever by chance meet the other you again. I'm counting on you fighting her... stopping her and those meddlesome Rainbooms from interfering. Since you can use magic, you'll serve me very well as a secret weapon should we need it." hearing the immense amount of trust being placed upon her from the head siren nearly made her heart explode.

"I won't let you down! I promise." Sparkle bowed her head for no real reason other than to placate to the alpha.

"See to it that you don't..." Adagio spoke softly before bringing a hand gently to the girl's left cheek to raise her face to meet hers.

Twilight had no idea what was happening, but she let it continue thinking it was part of some kind of ritual for initiation or other. If sirens were as intelligent as she figured, they had so many customs unique to each pod and traditions spanning eons if they were as old as anticipated to be. Though once their eyes met one another, Adagio looked mournful and happy at the same time.

"... because a pod mate as caring as you... is irreplaceable. Any matriarch strives to have such strong bonds that are willing to comprise their unit, and yours helped me discover something I never knew was true. And for that I owed you, so in return your one of us... a Dazzling. Just don't let me down..." she told her with a quiet voice before her hand caressed her cheek as it slide across the skin.

Then, just as if it never occurred she walked into the headlights, leaving her flabbergasted and very much stunned. She just made true friends, real friends who appreciated her with enough gratitude to her actions they brought her into the fold. First the portal, then the magic, and now she was now officially a Dazzling! Something insider her felt whole again, something that hadn't been occupied in so long that words could not bring the reality she was in to description.

'I'm... a Dazzling!? A Dazzling!!!'

PreviousChapters Next