• Published 6th May 2016
  • 4,172 Views, 66 Comments

The Siren's Remorse - TheronSniper



With the Dazzlings pendants shattered and their bodies fully human, they are left to life's machinations. However, a fellow banished soul might be the key to returning their former selves and taking revenge with a gout of flame.

  • ...
19
 66
 4,172

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 24 The Introverts Dilemma

Ch. 24 The Introverts Dilemma

'... the greater good.' Twilight recited as she felt her palms start to sweat.

Taking a deep slow breath as the quietness of the empty museum seemed loud to her ears, "She became frustrated when I wouldn't say anything about you, not that I knew much more than what I already told them. In a fit of anger, she acted out and swung at a waiter with a heavy tray with stoneware I believe. You can image what happened after that?" she grinned nervously hoping he'd buy it.

Squinting his hawk eyes and narrowing them in scrutiny, he hummed in delight as if thinking about what she said, "I believe you, as Aria had done the same thing when we first met. They seem to have the luck of getting into trouble when they become upset, but her attitude still leaves to be considered. I can't have them become a berserker like Magnus and throw a temper tantrum when she doesn't get her way. There were so many bits we had to throw at that vendor for the repairs and his silence after the last time..."

Yellow ran a hand through his carmine hair, halfheartedly laughing as he remembered the debacle which nearly landed the man mentioned in jail. His acceptance and seemingly similar incident his group had to deal with put Twilight's anxiety at ease, it meant she could keep everything as it were and figure out a way to help the sirens without drawing attention from him. The downside, she was putting the entire mission for the portal in jeopardy for a solution that might not be found.

"I... I know you said to leave their personal matters alone, but you heard how I handled Sonata. I'd like to request permission to help Adagio, you all are very busy but could I have someone to reach in case I need help if things get out of control?" she innocently held her hands behind her back and awaited the response.

Knowing a quick answer wasn't likely, she stood at attention and overheard the Dazzles in the closed room. Though muffled, it sounded as if things calmed down and Adagio had already gone to formulating plans likely to deal with their homeworld. Parts she caught that mentioned unicorns and the rubies, but much of the actual scheme couldn't be discerned through the wood. With her focus mostly on the discussion that peaked on her radar, sounds of footsteps came after large doors were swung open. Someone appeared to be in a hurry and excited by the way their footsteps gave away their approach, she remembered there might be other staff members and the only thing they were suppose to say. She didn't really think she'd have to put up the feint, Yellow was one thing but another person would be harder to lie to.

"Nickel Flame!!" a woman shouted down the left side of the lobby behind him.

Twilight peaked out from the side of Yellow to see who the person was that sounded very perturbed, stomping towards them seemed to appear as just some lost office worker. Wearing a black shin length skirt and blazer that appeared to have no evidence of a days use. A thalo blue tie tucked under a pristine white collared shirt were as if they were on a child's doll, freshly laundered with a floral scent only now just hitting her nose. It tickled her brain, sending a shiver down her spine in a pleasurable way that caused her breath to stop. Her eyes beheld the new arrival who's mere proximity seemed to have some kind of odd effect on her to which she noted for later inspection.

The tall thin woman shouted his name once more with a very perturbed face, determined to have a word with him as her black opened toed high heels slapped the varnished tile floor with a final step. Her face looked perfect in symmetry, free of blemishes, if by any guess Twilight assumed she wore no makeup either. Her natural appeal demanded adoration, sharp crystal clear gray eyes captured the young girl in awe at their transparency against her silky, smooth, light ultramarine blue skin tone. Even more so with her deep ocean blue hair that appeared as simple and natural as a woman's hair could be, flowing straight down with minor curling at the ends which reached just below her collar bone. It had a shimmer all its own as if it contained Indicolite, qualities human hair shouldn't have even with the latest fashion science. Sparkle couldn't tear her eyes from the person, feeling a need beyond desire to adore the her like a whisper in the back of her head.

"Nickel, a word with you. NOW!" her anger breathed through clenched teeth as she folded her arms across her chest further driving the command.

"Okay? But only for a moment, I have our keys in my office and Mrs. Sparkle right here. On sec." he turned to the student still in awe at the person who didn't even bother to acknowledge her, the man chuckled under his breath at her state.

"She has that effect on people." he whispered to Sparkle as he gently pinched her chin and closed her slack jaw before walking off with the woman who already began to leave.

As soon as they were out of visual range, the grip from her presence fell away like rain on a glass window. Those portal-like eyes held no more power over Twilight as she shook off the remnants away from her head. Even as she recovered from the haze of stupor, her hearing remained observant to any and all noise besides the Dazzlings. Having no second thoughts for a moment, she let her curiosity drive her to move slowly and cautiously towards the conversation the two were having as they stepped away. She barely tapped the soles of her loafers on the floor to quiet her sound of approach. That woman, she had to know more or at least study her in depth, if she knew Yellow or Nickel Flame as she appeared to then in all likely hood she was one of the exiles. Other than the succulent data into a possible magic user, inside knowledge would be key to calming Adagio enough to gain her trust and allow her into her circle. It was worth the shot and the risk of being caught eavesdropping.

She trailed the two down a corridor and into a small wing that connected to conference room, by the time she caught up enough to hear clearly. The two were already having words with one another, though it seemed to have a one sided beginning.

"...it didn't do anything we needed it to do!" the woman growled in a way that made her illustrious glamor hid a beastly nature.

"Was it that foreign entity? Because I checked with Sorrow Wind this morning and that girl should be avoiding the others and focusing on..." he tried to respond only to be cut off.

"She's not! They'll be forming a team together with the Rainbooms and their bond will be even stronger! The only difference now is she's scared out of her skin, her vulnerable state will inevitably keep her tethered to their presence. I already knew the pink one has provided aid, we're just glad she didn't frequent enough to become a problem." the woman let out an exasperated sigh, "She was meant to break off and stay with Flash like the distraction he was meant to be, but that blundering idiot's doing more harm than good! Everything that Lich thinks is going on is not the case! It has to be Discord!" the name caught Sparkles attention, another party that interfered with the plan.

"Active disruption... Sorrow has never proven herself wrong before, but what you've seen contradicts that. Which means we're compromised unfortunately... stay with the target and try to keep her sane while I get Sorrow a crystal to remove the curse. If our girl is sticking to her guns, she'll at least find the breadcrumbs through that contact in Equestria, we haven't lost our investment yet. However, that means I won't be able to give Twilight the magic I promised her if Sorrow will need it to break the hex. So that scraps our secondary defense plan, at least she'll still serve a purpose and find the location of the gateway. I just hope we can lift the hex before the girl finds her end prematurely." his statement was serious in the detail, someone's life was in danger because of something else and that had her brain guessing the purpose for all that was said.

"It also means we'll have to pass along anything we see or do to the entire group, it'll back check the findings for accuracy. It has to be him then... he's the only one capable of messing things up like this! That vile fallen god." the woman stomped and hissed.

Twilight kept herself out of sight and hugged the wall just before the corner that lead to the two, continuing her observations and listened in knowing full well it could harm her research project if Yellow knew. She feared the outcome if he turned and walked in her direction, being too far from the door to maintain a guise of waiting for him like he asked. Yet, a fallen god now existed in her world and better yet someone that even these exiles had reason to fear. A god was one thing, but the way humanity often used the term meant a being capable of destruction or possessed invincibility. If what Yellow hinted at meant they had little magic to spare, where did the crystals come into play? How would they handle this fallen god now in this plane of existence, and was it a merciful one? Was there a foul purpose in its meddling with Yellow's goals?

"This day just gets better and better. I had plans for that girl, but we have the other four and they'll be more than enough to get us back. I just wish I had that contingency plan and the student magically capable. But it's as they say, you got to start somewhere. I'll keep you informed of any new developments, seek me out if anything else changes. You of all of us are likely the most resistant to Discord, your majesty."

"Who knows, maybe Discord might actually do some chaos in our favor. He'll rue the day if he appears before me now!" the woman groaned as if in pain.

"I need to get back and deal with a potential issue before I see Sorrow. Chrysochroa, do what you can to keep that girl and the others at an arms reach. I'd still like to get her onto our side if possible, but I won't be doing anything else to her so you'll need to carry the task." Twilight nearly leapt out of her skin when his feet started to move, it was time to bug out.

"Fine, I need the love that's emerging between her and Flash anyways. I had to use some of it when the curse came at her after school yesterday. These humans drain far more than ponies do with a simple calming spell. It's like they evolved to suffer and fall into despair like a magnet to metal, in her case the flesh gravitates to it. Somehow it makes the love even sweeter though?" the woman huffed, what she said confused the young girl with the comparing emotions to sustenance; was she the opposite of a siren?

"Your highness... am I excused?" Yellow asked as he stopped moving, Sparkle was just out of hearing distance as she tip toed away.

"Yes you are young mage, and I shall take my leave. Just be sure those horse fish things fulfill their roles." the clacking of high heels signaled her exit which equated to the girl's rapid evacuation.

"Well technically they're reptilian with similarities to equine, more closer to their dragon relatives that dwell in the sea..." he attempted to explain before the loud clack of a door opening meant the woman was gone.

'Some kind of royalty, knows magic, has... remarkable genetic heritage to produce such natural looks and appeal. First there was Serak, and now this Chrysochroa person who seems to hold a higher rank above Yellow to speak to him in such a way. Whatever title they possessed or what kind of life they all lived before being exiled is fascinating.' she thought to herself as she stood ready for Yellow.

She managed to reach the spot she once stood at, quickly cleaning herself off to avoid looking panicked and ruffled. She put on a fake smile as her breath was forced into long deep breathes to still the pulsing heart. Ten seconds and the tall man emerged into her vision, rubbing the back of his neck as he looked displeased and tired from the interaction. Haggered could best describe the air about him, though he gazed upon the Crystal Prep student with a dead set intent to get an answer to his question. Those golden eyes set looked about her, as if looking for some kind of sign before his lips moved. Had he thought she was spying on him?

"Apologies for that, nothing to be alarmed of... so back to our discussion. You want to help them that badly? Knowing I will likely have no one to spare since things have changed, you'll be left to the sharks as they say."

All the information she gathered swirled in her mind, a torrent from which her previous worries of acting underhandedly for the Dazzlings couldn't come forth to the surface. It was a welcoming relief to have the distraction, her heart concerned with all the other things that allowed an answer to be spoken without the jitters.

"I want this to work as well as anyone of you, they deserve the chance to show their colors. They just need a little outside help, though I may not know much about dealing with the mental state of others. Sometimes... you just need to have someone listen, a stranger you can open up to." a warm feeling prickled in her chest, what was she feeling just then she couldn't ascertain.

"You keep surprising me Mrs. Sparkle, you truly more enigmatic than I. You have my permission to be of aid to them, and you know the consequences it seems so to that I wish you good luck. Now, I'm sure the girls are calmed by now. Let's head inside shall we?" he carefully put a hand on her shoulder and guided the both of them inside.

Once the door opened, Adagio could be seen starring at the desk with calculating eyes moving slightly to indicate a deep thought she was well known for. The other two girls sat in quiet reverie, but Twilight could tell it was all from the young matriarch's domination. Not to long ago they were tending to her as she took the news of the siren stones rather badly, now they were hands off and to themselves with apprehensive looks on their faces as they looked anywhere but to their leader. Even Aria seemed particularly bothered by something that happened while she skulked off for a moment.

Yellow let go of her shoulder to walk back to his desk and sat down just as Sparkle chose her seat next to Sonata, the blue skinned girl smiled for a moment as she greeted her friend even though it wavered. The room dived into a moment of silence, Yellow seemed to be contemplating over what to say next seeing as Adagio had to be handled in some way or another. What he had to say, Twilight knew wasn't the way he had been expecting to have the meeting go through at all. The lone clock in his office had a barely audible tick which sounded as if it had been amplified, reverberating as like a loud speaker had been connected to it. A drum beating to every second, relenting only after the air conditioning system poured into the room with the gentle wisp of air through the vents.

"Due to recent revelations, I'm going to have to alter the deal you four are to complete." everyone looked to him as he laced his fingers close to his face with elbows on the desk, "Mrs. Sparkle, I'm afraid I can't give you the ability to wield magic anytime soon, resources are being pushed elsewhere. Which means you three will be on your own in case your discovered." he announced.

"Don't care, we'll get that portal open no matter what. I have a score to settle and nothing, not even the Rainbooms will stop us." Adagio seethed with a barely contained hatred in her words.

"Good to know, my only rule is to never confront them on their terms if the situation should arise. Which means no hunting for revenge, my only core rule in this deal."

"That's fine, we're expecting them right before we get the portal opened, with the way fate seems to play with us. Then and only then will we act upon them, and grind their spirits into the dirt..." Dazzle sounded with sadistic intent with a stoic expression.

"Okay then... we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I wish you three good luck and success, practice till your songs know no soul who can resist. That convention should fill your stones to the brim and more. Oh and one last thing, if you see a strange creature that doesn't make any sense, get away from it, don't even talk to it. Much like your music, you'll only play into its game. They are not and I repeat not! To be trifled with like the Rainbooms, I fear what it will do if its honeyed words enter your ears." he warned as Dazzle took the hint.

"Straight from the crazy man's mouth too, don't worry about us. The last thing we'll be doing is putting ourselves in a corner. So, are we done?" Adagio grinned as her eye twitched, seemingly suppressing the minor ache still present in her head.

As they rose up to leave, Twilight stayed behind to verify the machine he wanted her to build and test. Though primarily she wanted to avoid Adagio until she calmed down a bit more before she divulged all she had learned and assumed about the group they served. She looked high on might with the spectacular event they'd steal the show from, of course it must of been a buffet to a starving man to the sirens. The glimmer in her eye was that of anticipated power to come and the joy of feeding from so many souls, the oddest thing came back to her mind however. Why did she really want to help the sirens do such a task and want to be their friend, one of many that floated in her head the closer to the day of fruition.

After the door closed, the spruce man seemed to breath out a long held breath, looking relaxed after handling a situation that could have gone afoul. The office chair creaked as he let the seat bend backwards on its hinge. While he collected himself, it gave Sparkle the chance gain control of the many questions in her head and the data she collected. The momentary respite gave her time to truly calm down enough so that she could formulate how she'd tell Adagio about the latest danger to them that Nickel didn't tell them. Who one of the others were and their contradicting existence with the fallen god.

As the seconds passed into minutes, Twilight found herself studying the items on his desk. One of which appeared to be some kind of intricate master crafted clock of some archaic forgotten design and era. The brass and gold rings orbiting the center dial shinned with no tarnish visible, strange engravings dotted each ring with runes that seemed to be out of the red book. The few precious stones embedded in each ring shinned bright against the metal surface, two fluted brass columns supported the outer ring which gave rise to a gyroscope theme. Only the device had six rings unlike the standard models she knew which possessed two. The entire artifact merged with the gold base seamlessly, meeting the edges of the cylindrical glass dome that kept dust and grim off the parts. Her desire to take it apart and study it fell only once she realized Yellow had been starring at her for the past minute or so.

"Do you like it?" he merely asked as he gestured with a wave of the hand.

Unsure of what to say truthfully she quickly went with a more coy answer, "I uh... it's a lovely piece of art? I'm very interested in its function and reason for the rings, because they match a similar device here on earth. It's called a gyroscope, but ours normally don't have a chrono device or multiple rings."

"Its a magic sensor that's long lost its power source." he golden eyes gazed upon the old object with a loving care of an enthusiastic mechanic.

"Like the one you want me to make?" she asked.

"Sort of, the difference is that... was used around camps and hideouts, normally the rings are misplaced to make it easier to tell if an intruder approached. Unicorns always gave off an ambient magic, which became stronger when they were charging a spell. With these scattered around the perimeter, anything magically capable flattened the rings that faced flatly at the intruder kind of like your satellite dishes you use for GPS triangulation. As the void stone acts as a black hole to magic, the incoming mana force the rings into a dish. Unfortunately, like many things it needs a new void stone. Quite a little toy it was." he chuckled as if memories of its use came forth like an old man who once played with fireworks.

"Why would you need these early warning systems?" she looked to him inquisitively, wondering if they were once used during a conflict as they seemed designed for.

"So many things to talk about and far too early to say them. Sorry, but about that device I need you to make... its a true prototype I hope I've ironed out much of the kinks. What your developing soon should only find magic, but if anything else should arise I must ask that you notify me at once. Worst case scenario it draws magic into the core power source as an orbiting element, best case scenario you merely track the magical sources. I've never had the chance to construct it much less test the theory in its design, so its a tinder box for now. Will you be okay with that?" he looked to her, looking worried as well as stern in the eyes.

"I am, besides, what chemistry lesson is not complete without 'For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.'?" her past experience held that saying to heart.

"Fine choice of words my friend, fine choice. So, how have you been handling all this? Magic and creatures, things your people could only dream of?" he popped the question surprisingly well.

"Wha... what do you mean?" she cocked an eyebrow at the question.

"Honestly, a lone human supporting such an agenda all for the glory of science to further their species forward? I find it hard to see such a person like yourself to be so bold as to handle well with this. Can you enlighten me as to why your so driven to aid us or the very least the Dazzlings?" he looked at her waiting with bated breath.

For a moment she hesitated, not long ago when they first met she would have divulged a bit of her life to him without hesitation, he was giving her a world changing substance that could be wielded when he first showed her. That was before the situation changed into a complicated mess, with mythological creatures in human form who possessed powers that could make her use the term godly. A whole other world out there that proved the multiverse theory and opened up new questions she wanted to answer before anyone else. She had an entire stage set up to make her famous because she had answers people wanted to know and would have the position to explain. People could be helped with magic, potentially reversing so many evils people faced around the globe. It all came with a price, the intentions of those she wanted to help and felt like she had to because of similar situations they faced.

"I... uhhh... at first I was only in it for the energy you call magic and its applications I could create. But the more time I spent with those girls... the more human side to them they allowed me to see. Their reasons for doing what they do seem justified, but I guess I can blame that on a detachment from not knowing about this Equis to really care about the others who live there, which I will admit I need to read into the books you gave me. If a proper decision is to be made, one needs to see both sides of the story. I just hear about their past lives and I want to help them, I care about their struggle. And maybe ensure they don't take out their anger on my world too?" Twilight knew she had sided with the devil in this, but unlike the characteristic ones depicted in modern media they all were outcasts given a punishment that was worse than life in solitary confinement.

"Hmmmm..." he rubbed his chin as if he had a beard to stroke.

"Adagio really wants and needs to go back home, she has a very good reason to be eccentric about it, trust me Yellow, sir. And I intend to do anything I can for them as well as your group... even if I can't caste spells or wards." the memory of that night flashed before her, remembering the sad state the golden siren fell into, how she rocked the girl close to her, something she never did for anyone else.

"Your confident that they will live up to their word with our plan, and you have intimate knowledge to back that up? Well I can only hope for the best that you'll guide them at least, we're all too focused on... other matters to really study them as of late. We have one shot at this and I can't have any problems arising now as you well know. If you can make them avoid calamity before the portal is found or made, you have my promise to leave behind a gift which you can commit your life to understanding and hopefully put it to good use. Till then, I'm afraid I do have some work coming in with the new exhibit, no one should bother you if you head back out the way we came in." she sensed their moment was at an end.

Nodding curtly, Twilight left the office and found an empty hallway, the sirens must have left at Adagio's whim. Likely, the convention coming up would be the biggest feeding grounds they'd ever have access to, and she couldn't blame them for making it a priority to prepare without telling her anything. The benefit would allow her time to break everything down and add it to the wall in the lab. She had the device to craft and data to input into the web that tried to locate the source of the energy spike she original sought. Adagio would learn of everything soon enough, she needed to do her part if everything were to come together. That portal near Canterlot High needed to be pin pointed and located for study to determine how much work they had ahead of them, it would be best for the sirens to know the extent of the danger being so close to the territory of the Rainbooms. The risk of meeting them was high, but going in disguise would aid in delaying that potentiality. She just needed to pin point the location and send the coordinates to Yellow Tail, then bail out of there as if someone mixed the wrong volatile chemicals together.

As she exited through the garage, flashing her badge to the nearest security guard who just waved her on by. Her phone vibrated in her backpack, since she arrived with the Dazzlings straight from school she still had everything on her. Once she cleared into the parking lot, her hand fished out the device and opened the screen. There on the initial notifications, Sonata's name with an image attached to the text, it was her and the others inside a taxi likely going home. The cerulean siren seemed to wave to the phone as she took the image, but she didn't look too happy with the way the smile looked. What caught Twilight's eye in the photo, Adagio looked absolutely livid and positively lively as if in mid sentence. Aria had her head turned away looking out the window. Below the photo, a little message typed for her to read.

"Call later?"

To which she replied, "I will."

PreviousChapters Next