• Published 6th May 2016
  • 4,172 Views, 66 Comments

The Siren's Remorse - TheronSniper



With the Dazzlings pendants shattered and their bodies fully human, they are left to life's machinations. However, a fellow banished soul might be the key to returning their former selves and taking revenge with a gout of flame.

  • ...
19
 66
 4,172

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 22 Why?

Chapter 22: Why?

The sound of the broken air duct whistling through its torn section herald the release of Adagio's sound bubble as the ambient noise of the streets began to filter through. A fridged cool breeze started to create a chill in the room, but Aria's own temper would keep her warm enough as she noticed the numerous damages to the property.

"No amount of singing will make this look any better..." Aria groaned into her hands and she muffled a yell of frustration.

Sonata jumped to Twilight, immediately looking at her leader and then to her friend trying to see what she should do to help. She tried to touch Adagio curled up in the human's arms, but she flinched even as her fingers were inches away. Instead, the blue siren joined the soft whispering of reassurance and comfort. The once powerful being who's ever calculating mind now reduced to a quivering mess, a shell of her former self. Aria knew they needed her up and walking soon before they had to sing again or somehow explain the destruction to the owners or the police. Worse yet, the two women at the other side of the restroom, they would soon wake up and everything would become very awkward very fast.

"Please tell me she can be at least carried out of here?! Sonata and I can lull anyone for the time being, but we'll need to get out of here now!" Aria pressed as she dropped her hands and fumed.

Twilight still focused on the bundle of helplessness held within her arms as she rose steadily to her feet, even as Sonata tried to bear the burden. She ceased talking as the two worked to have Twilight piggy back the unconscious girl, it wouldn't last long since the little human possessed little ability to heft much weight. As she struggled to walk with Sonata catching any swaying mishaps, she herself knew the feeling that had possessed Adagio moments ago. The helplessness of losing a loved one, even she acted out that one night alone and ended up destroying the entire organized book shelves she prided herself over in the corner of her room. Though paling in comparison, she spent the next week reorganizing the mess and enduring the scolding from her parents.

"Are you sure you have her? Cause I can if your not able?" she offered.

Grunting as the weight of the body began to burn her muscles, "No! No I got it, we... we need you to sing." Sparkle nodded.

"Done! Done and done!! Move out!" the dark purple haired singer nearly shouted just as the door the two entered fell off its hinges and slammed on the ground before her, "Great..."

"Aria?" Dusk sounded forlornly.

"... what?"

"You have the most like all of the power now. We haven't filled mine, and Adagio is out of it..." she never took her sorrowful eyes off her matriarch.

"Ya! You don't think I don't know! This wasn't how I wanted to be in power. Picking up the pieces... literally." she huffed and folded her arms, "Fine! You, carry Adagio until we find a ride outta here while Sonata and me blank everyone's minds. We need to make sure the security cameras get wiped as well, so don't walk too fast got it!" Aria barked at the two.

"Got it." Sparkle started to slowly walk with Sonata.

With Adagio's arms around her neck haphazardly and Twilight holding her legs as she hunched over, the trio began their route. Aria was first to enter the dining area, walking into the main room as her initial solo slaved all who were just then staring at the fallen restroom door in silence. The little ballad sent them into a paralyzing sleep, which required a good chunk of energy from her full gem to do. Once the three behind her emerged and fell in step, the other vocalist joined in and added her voice to the entrancing song.

No one escaped their music, like a flood each and every human being soon found themselves on the floor or crumbled in their seats completely out of it. The sushi chefs had collapsed behind the bar, the knives and plates some handled clattered on the floor doing no harm to anyone. Only two remained standing, half lidded eyes and slouched over in their spots where they stood before the spell had them. Under Aria's mental command, having drawn closer to them they received the hypnotic command to cleanse their presence in the restaurant, the recordings were easily erased and some minor damage done to the electronics for added garnish. Thus ensuring no possible trace back to them could be made, it would appear as if an act of god caused that loss of recording.

The four trudged through the sea of tables to the exit, never ceasing the song as a few people soon entered past the main door as fresh customers. Aria's pendant bled more power to snare them and order the little group to step aside. While the two sirens created the pathway, Twilight started to feel her muscles scream and her throat starting to go hoarse as she carried Dazzle outside. The lack of physical exercise made itself known as she started to strain and sweat a bit. She could only stop once they were outside, where the two continued only with a change in their octaves. Instead of putting everyone to sleep, they were causing them to argue and bicker. It seemed as though they wanted to either feed a bit or distract everyone, an idea that let Sparkles mind wonder why as a distraction from the hefty load upon her.

Aria finished with a gentle end upon noticing they happened across the one taxi parked by the Sushi Bar, "Come on! Get in so we can clear this place before it gets even worse for us!"

At her command, Sonata swirled around and assisted the worn out girl behind them, carefully grabbing one of Adagio's arms and sharing the weight. Aria allowed them in first before squeezing inside the family car sized taxi. Fortunately, there were extra seats in the van, which she begrudgingly took in their haste to evac the area. After they set themselves into position and buckled up, the then acting Matriarch found herself in an adrenaline high from both the reality that she finally got her wish and the position they were currently in. She feared the waves that were caused by Adagio's tantrum and the Rainbooms picking upon the trail. With one of them down for the count, Sonata and her wouldn't be able to subdue them when she had the most power of the three. Considering the might of the gems, they were only as powerful at they were when they faced off at the battle of the bands. They'd lose their gems again, they would be cursed to live as humans once more, and Yellow likely did not have a stash of siren stones lying about either.

The vehicle lurched forward and the newly crowned leader was left to mull over what to do next. The fans from the front seats cooled the air with the smell of frankincense that wafted around the compartment. The two girls tended to the downed Dazzling with an initial look over for any serious damage that still remained. First thing Sonata did had been to magically scan over the slack body as she mumbled incoherently, using the little power in her stone, she hummed gently while her hands waved over every part of the body. Sonata's stone was still fresh like a new born hatchling, the trio had done a few spontaneous songs after they acquired their phones. Giving some much needed energy to Dusk after they confirmed with Twilight that her new pendant had been preconditioned. Adagio appeared to be sleeping throughout the ministrations with meek peeps and whimpers as she still shed a few drops from her eyes. She was unaware of help being given or the inquisitive eyes of the driver through the rear view mirror that observed the scene play out.

Dusk retract her hand and cease the tune from her throat, with a solemn face she shook her head, "She's like so drained I think its mana exhaustion, my mom taught me about it when I had my ruby crown in my chest plates. Every hatchling gets told this so they don't sing their souls away."

"Why... how does that happen? I wouldn't have thought your abilities had such a negative effect like that?" Sparkle seemed like the discoveries would never cease with them.

Looking at her friend in the eyes as she readied to tell another tale, "We sing from our hearts, the dark magic we naturally have only helps convey the spell we use to control others and harness negative energy. But its like a buffet table at Taco King, it feels good, tastes good, and if you eat too much you get sick. Parents take their pups after they age some to a performance, they join once their gems crown but have little mana that can be stored within them. Other hatchlings have... been carried away with the tide because they sang too long. Mom said our tiny bodies are too fragile to handle the draw and something about... being sucked dry. Once the mana fish is devoured, the dark magic shark needs another fish to eat, and that's our souls. If we let the dark magic shark go hungry, then we take the final sleep into Poseidon's oceans." she sniffled remembering the warmth of her mother when she told her the story before sleep.

She wanted to inquire further into the mother's story, her lips were stopped knowing that it wasn't the time nor place to dig into their biology. Although it did explain the state Adagio was in, the power she witnessed and the gemstone doing everything it could to stop the blast of energy. Energy she stored that made her a siren as well as fuel the gem's abilities, the conflict depleted everything she had. What physical harm she underwent, it was not healed by fumes of negative energy but the very soul itself. That realization threw her for a loop.

"Will she be alright?" a simple question formed from the stupor.

"Ya, she'll be exhausted for now and her hands, she won't be lifting a fork or metal box any time soon." Sonata gestured to the slightly swollen hands.

"Metal box? Oh you mean your phones. Wow... I didn't know you guys could do that with your gems and how dangerous they were! Your really banking your entire existence on those." said Twilight as she brushed a few strands of rouge curls from Dazzle's eye lids.

Aria began to regret desiring the role she use to think would be suited just for her, but the crash course into it had become an eye opener. All that came from thinking of what to do had done nothing but stress her out. From worrying if Adagio damaged her gem or herself, to the blood in the water those Rainbow sharks would undoubtedly pick up on. The few ideas she considered to avoid or deal with their foes were rubbish. Adagio would not be the same siren once she recovered and that put her even more on edge, but she didn't know if it was a given or not. They needed to sing again and fix all their problems, but with only her and Sonata who usually carried the chorus. She feared the duo they could become wouldn't draw enough energy nor crowds as they had when with all three of them performing. So many negative thoughts started to give her a headache, with reluctance she brushed the whole disaster out of her mind and out of sight. Hearing Twilight's comments over the tantrum the former matriarch had, she scoffed at the idea that it was the biggest one a siren could act out.

"Trust me, that wasn't even a chunk of what a pissed off siren could do." Aria leaned onto the back of their seat.

"I'm sorry?" she looked with surprise and adjusted her glasses.

"I said nerrrrd!" the purple pig tails growled, "That what you experienced, which few ever live through, wasn't even close to being on the scale with a real Matriarch. Adagio and us, we're still young by our standards. The older a siren is, the more power they can harness through sheer willpower. These new stones gave her twice the power she'd normally have with our old stones."

Her blunt insult and explanation had the young human frown for a moment, "If what you say is true... then that explains how Cavatina from Sonata's pod handled those pirates right?"

"There is a LOT you don't even know about us and I intend to keep it that way from my mouth at least." she let a devious grin sprout.

"Ya, you usually just say mean things to Sonata so I was surprised you even gave me that piece of information." Sparkle said under her breath as she folded her arms in protest.

With a cocked eyebrow, "Becoming the Matri for this pod... has its downsides. I heard you talking and wanted to stop thinking for a moment. Which now that I'm aware, we've been talking out loud with this peon driving us around the town." her sharp eyes locked onto the black uniformed driver who kept his eyes glued to the road in silence.

"Do we sing again?" asked Sonata as she looked to Aria for guidance.

"First you'll take us where we need to go, the Shetland Isles Inn. We got the bits." a small purse jiggled from her hand that she pulled out of a pocket in her leather coat.

"We can't just get him to do what we want?" Dusk asked out loud.

"No you dunce! He's at the wheel, and I don't want him going under our spell while we're flying down the road. He could very well swerve or crash!" she reprimanded her minion fiercely.

"Hey! You could be making him panic right now and fear for his life." Twilight pipped up having already grown tired of the harsh girl and her wayward tongue.

"Not like he's going to think we're anything of a threat, he's not going to jump out of this moving vehicle nor stop because you two started storytelling." her headache started to come back, "By the Triton's stab!! I just had to get my wish at the worst possible time!"

"Actually, I'm quite interested in this little discussion of yours, if it will explain why your friend there looks rather ill?" the man asked without looking at them.

His driving cap hid his eyes whenever Twilight tried to look at them through the hanging glass on the windshield. She was rather surprised they got into a cab with a friendly none panicking driver, someone who either saw things in his cab on the job or he just was not susceptible to anything out of context.

"Mind your own business and just get us to that hotel!" Aria hissed as she sat back into her seat with a thump.

A silence followed her response, with the radio off and the fans just below full blast the group really had no idea how to respond to the driver. After he dialed something on the touchscreen GPS device mounted on the dashboard, he made a few turns as the computer displayed the route to take. Only then did he speak once more.

"I'm sure Yellow Tail would love to hear about your little... evening out." which all three girls froze with bugged out eyes looking at the man.

"Your with him?" Sonata gasped.

"Indeed I am, pleasure to meet you sirens plus one. I am Serak Lammergeier at your service." a collective sigh escaped the two closes girls while Aria huffed and looked out the window.

"After you guys pulled those spirits from our gems, I never got a look at you! But you were one of the ones up top, next to the rude man right?" Dusk tilted her head in thought.

"Yes, Emerath can be a bloody nonce when he's pulled away from his work, for that I apologies on his behalf. Though if you could be so kind and enlighten me on why your boss there seems quite out of it?" the english accent in his voice caught Twilight's intrigue.

Looking to Sonata who then glanced at Aria, no one was sure if they could still trust a stranger who seemed to know their patron. They had said enough as it were, but the fact that he spoke Yellow's name was compelling enough to at least answer his inquiry on Adagio. Dusk simply shook her head and shrugged, leading the human to roll her eyes at the predicament they were in.

"Aria? Your the head now, do you want to trust him?" Twilight beckoned from the disconnected girl.

A mute snarl and a wave of the hand was her way of saying she didn't care. If her statement about how she was handling the role told her much, she probably tried to act like Adagio and overthink things. At least the two now had open permission to engage Ser, leaving Aria to nurse her headache that throbbed.

"We had a... little therapy session and it didn't go so well. She's drained and suffering what I can only equate to human standards as heat exhaustion. She's lost her mana, and drew upon her own being to heal the... injuries she sustained in an outburst. Did I miss anything Sonata?" Twilight responded.

"Nah, that's all I saw! She needs to sleep, if she tapped into her soul like mom said... but she's not a hatchling anymore." her eyes gazed at the one in question with regret pasted all over her, how she wished she could have been there to stop Adagio in time.

"I guess what she's trying to say is Adagio will be fine, but she's vulnerable until full recovery." Sparkle answered clearly.

"Such strange creatures you lot are, I've seen unicorns lose their magic after stressing pass their limits. Using your own essence to fuel any spell, its quite a rare thing to be able to do in fact! Fascinating... but I am sorry for what has befallen you. After all, you are very important to us." the van turned again with the hotel in sight.

Pulling up to the main door, the van slowed to a stop, "Please? Don't tell Yellow?" Twilight looked to the mirror hoping to speak about the incident to him herself.

As Sonata and Aria disembarked, she waited still with Adagio for an answer. Waiting and waiting until Dusk got her attention so they could remove the still unconscious Dazzling out of her seat belt and onto their way home. Serak seemed unmoved, keeping his white crisp gloved hands on the steering wheel and his turquoise skinned face dead ahead. Seeing no further reply from one of Yellow's associates on the plea, Sparkle sighed before releasing the belt around Adagio. Carefully, Sonata and her scooted the limp body, being careful of the hands and arms until the other siren could get a better hold. She hefted her onto her back just like Twilight had done when they left the Sushi Bar. It was then that she stopped and looked to her friend with guilt.

"I think you should go home, Aria's not going to be happy for awhile and... you don't deserve what she dishes out. I'll snap chat with you later about how Adagio's doing." She weakly smiled and waved quickly with the sleeping teenager over her back barely causing her any hindrance.

"Are... are you sure? I promise I won't react like I did to Adagio! I can keep quiet no matter how bad Aria gets! What if her gem is cracked? I know basic first aid if she has any hairline fractures!" she quickly tried to propose to remain with them for the night.

She was met with a shake of the head, "Friends stick together, but they also keep each other safe. I can handle her when she's angry and I have just enough to help any broken bones, but you... bye!"

With a quick gait, Dusk rushed away from the taxi and into the hotel as the electric doors opened for the bungling support. She left Twilight in a confused and outcast state, wondering how Aria really got when she was pushed beyond her comfort zone. Perhaps she worried of how Adagio would react once the sleeping beast awoke to find Aria in command. All because she had to stand up to her, because she felt personally offended and how quickly she latched onto the sirens for friendship when likely only Sonata would be the only one.

Noticing the dreadful look on the young girls face, the man turned to look at her from his position, "He'll find out soon enough, but I will not be the one who roasts the seeds. You have my word Mrs. Sparkle."

"Thankyou." she brushed a hand across her eyes as the mechanism automatically closed the sliding door.

"So, while I take you to your home if you'll kindly provide the address, how about we have a little one on one? Its not often I get to meet another species who has no affinity with magic and now has one to champion them to new heights." he sat back in his seat as the taxi began to pull out.

"Uh... sure? Just head to Oak street, I live near the Pens and Furniture Emporium. Just three houses down the street. By the way what did you mean by that? Who are you where you came from? I mean since I'm sure there are no humans in Yellow's group, then you must be from Equestria right? Or are you from another world? That begs the question if there are other worlds who've been sending their exiled to my planet? Why are you a taxi driver if your an exile?" she began to ramble on until Serak coughed loudly to interrupt her.

"I've passed by that store a few times, I believe I know the way without these confounded devices they force us to use. Blasted things, you'd think I'd have gotten use to them for as long as I've been here." he chuckled lightly before making a right turn out of the commercial and entertainment district.

Twilight spied him eagerly with a hungry mind so curious she looked as if the ordeal she'd been through had never happened. She tried to lean close to him as she had the seat just behind his, trying to better see and hear.

"I'm afraid I can only say so much, security and all that." he sniffed as if to clear his nose of a tickling hair.

"That's... that is fine, just like the Dazzlings I barely know you or the others so i don't expect full rights of information. These Rainbooms seem to always be on everyone's mind, and from what I've come to know they are a danger to everyone trying to contribute to save your homeworld." she wondered about the abilities that the sirens spoke of, the very kind which drew her to the energy readings and met Yellow Tail.

"Cheer up love! Like any good friendship, trust is key as much as time. As I mentioned, its a rarity to meet such a being in your position, how has it been. To know about magic, its applications, and its implications upon society as much as yourself? You have been reading those tombs right?"

That brought the girl into a brighter mood by being coaxed into the inqisitive, "Yes, its been arduous, just by using the mirror to be able to read and the little time I can put into the first book Yellow asked me to start with. However, I'm quite confident I can grasp the fundamentals of what I believe to be a beginners guide to the science of magic!" she beamed happily at herself.

'Just like I was when i came across that artifact.' he thought.

"Do you know of its origins? Perhaps who made it?" Serak made another turn down a familiar street she remembered walking before before shaking his head quietly.

"No? I've only been through several chapters so far and that's only thirty percent of the entire manuscript. It's unlike any human made book I've known as far as where it was published or who is credited to its making." she scrunched her face as each and every page from start to present flew past her mind, never once a name popping up.

A quick look through the rear view mirror let him see the honest situation, "Figured as much, its on the last page for the writer, kind of like a letter in the way it was made... because it technically was."

Her head popped up, "Letter? Then they must have compiled every note... well unless this is some kind of journal? Probably composed of maybe some kind of research with a pen pal? Or perhaps they were a student abroad who accumulated notes over their journeys!"

"How right you are, your actually looking at Yellow's own work there. Ever since he started out to become a magician and aspire to the legendary wizard status among ponies. You my dear have probably the most in depth how to book you'll ever attain even during my time." the taxi turned into a street after passing by the pen and furniture outlet.

"Woooow..." the shocked face of someone who stumbled upon a treasure trove amused Serak, just like he felt the day he could feel and use magic for the very first time.

"It's almost like I'm holding the intimate journal of Leonardo Da Vinci!!" her eyes dilated slightly as she shook her hands excitedly in the seat.

The transport pulled to a stop halfway down the street at its destination, "The one and only copy so cherish it love, because if anything happens to it then your magical pursuits will go with it. Even if you do not possess mana, in due time everything will change. Now I do believe we've arrived, and I do have fairs to collect before the nights over."

He parked the vehicle on the right side of the road and twisted to look at her for the first time. His turquoise skin looked soft yet ridged, cheekbones were prominent as were the hawk-like eyes that set upon her with a friendly glint. The driver's cap left only a few strands of white hair hang down his forehead and the back of his neck, he looked like a man in his thirties maybe even early forties. Even as energetic as she had become at the revelation, her giddiness that could have rivaled Sonata lost its fuel upon his visage. Sparkle found herself studying the geography of the facial map before her, note heeding his beckoning as he waved a hand in front of her to disturb the train of thought.

"Hello? Anyone there?" he recited until the young woman jumped in her seat out of surprise.

"OH!! Ummm... eh hehehehe... " her hands sheepishly twiddled around their fingers nervously as she realized she had not been paying attention at all.

"We're here, and although I'd like to keep chatting I feel you should disembark for your home. As it is late and your family likely is worried about now." he grinned seeing the human come to reality.

She found herself in her room a few minutes later pondering over what just transgressed, the fact that she had indeed been looking at a manual to use magic. It was a complete book made over a lifetime of trial and error, it was quite literally her bible to magic. To top it all off, she felt strange and captivated while memorizing one of Yellow's compatriots down to the last detail and strand of hair. She would be lying to herself if she only did that to remember him in case they saw him again around town. Sitting on her bed with some of the other books given to her on magic her heart fluttered at the wonders she still had to dig through. The plethora of inventions using magic were begging away, to the point when at some time in the future she'd be given magic of her own or the ability to harness some.

While lost to the reason behind her behavior, her phone vibrating on the desk table away from her bed severed the dead set focus. It was a welcomed interruption for her as slide off the bed covers and walked to grab the device. Anything to forget the last moments in the cab with Serak was paradise for the scientist, his face flickered in the back of her head like static. Upon swiping the screen she was welcomed with Sonata and a photo of her in their kitchenette if one could call it that. She appeared unharmed and in her bubbly self, so all seemed well enough until a minute passed by that another image was sent. Adagio and her were in the photo, the golden siren had been undressed and slipped into the bed sheet with her nightwear. Her eyes were still leaking if only moderately compared to the rivers they were, she still looked helpless and pitiful. Dusk was nearly face to face with the former matriarch in the image as she tried to smile as best she could. A third digital photo came five minutes later with Aria appearing to storm out the door with her back to the phone. Perhaps the weight of responsibility finally shook the usurper's false dreams of power, one had to have the willpower to carry the group onward. Even Twilight could see she was far from matriarch material, no matter how much she wanted it there was only one Alpha among them.

Her phone rang, chiming loudly and almost causing Twilight to drop it, "H... Hello?"

"Twi?! Hey! Are you home yet after we kinda like... left you with Mr. Serak?" she asked with a hint of guilt.

"I'm fine, he's a rather nice person actually! He even told me about the red book I've been reading, who made it and how it was crafted!" Sparkle replied ecstatically.

"That's so totally awesome! Guess not all of those creepy people are evil and all." Sonata chuckled calling the kettle black.

"Indeed, he's Equestrian that's for sure, one just trying to cope with my world like you guys were. You should have seen him fiddle with the GPS computer the company he works for had installed, he seemed frustrated with it and little to say of training." she too joined in the light laughter.

"I'm glad you got home safely, it would have made my day like the WORST!" the blue siren exaggerated the last word.

"I don't think we have anything to fear from Serak, he's quite the kind person and very talkative..." she paused,"I got to see his face, I saw no evil in it... just an honest face... with..." her voice and tone ventured off into wistful dreaming.

Hearing such a defense of the stranger Sonata lept at the chance, "Ohhhhh! Sounds like someone gots the hots for older men."

"NO! no no its nothing like that! He just, I don't know... mentioned how it was great to meet another race with someone also discovering magic and using it. Like he... perhaps he went through something similar before being sent here." she mumbled.

"Oh come one, I was just joshing with you! Hey, with Aria gone for a while... can you ummm... stay up and talk for a bit? I know it's late and all. It's just that Adagio is talking in her sleep and I can't use the TV since it's in the same room she's in." Sonata sounded as if she was lonely and left to nothing to do.

Friends, this was what friends did normally by asking to spend time with one another. Desiring to share thoughts and feelings, and being there for the other it all still felt alien to her the bookworm and junior scientist at Crystal Prep. Just like groups that formed at lunch period, she had hers with a creature from another world who was just as lively and sentient as any human. She had social skills as it seemed, not the bungler from before who only relied on her childhood bonds like weak tethers to a ship and its dock.

"I'd be glad to Sonata, I can talk for as long as you need." she giggled softly remembering how Adagio felt in her arms and then the way Sonata almost broke down during her tale.

Hester's Cafe

The little eatery had just passed through its busy happy hour for frosty beverages and lattes, what few customers were present were there for the warm sandwiches and treats before going home. A few coworkers were busy enjoying a large gathering around the last batch of donuts baked for the day with flavored seltzer drinks of varying colors. They had taken up most of the open table area chatting away the days labor and fumbling management they disliked. A few of the booth seats had couples alone in a moment to themselves or students from Canterlot High studying for the next exam.

In a booth far from the other people, Sunset sat with Rose next to her and Flash across on the other seat. To Luck's insistence, she had them all get some herbal tea to calm themselves after what occurred, and her call was spot on. Even though Sunset desired a bold cup of coffee and something sugary, Rose stopped her saying the caffeine and sugar wouldn't do her body any good. They sat in quiet thought, Sentry who looked out the blinds to the streets around, Rose kept an eye on Shimmer who just seemed lost in her steaming cup of lavender and hibiscus brew. The girl had leaned her head on her left hand to prop it up. Ever since they found her freaking out, she didn't give them an answer nor an explanation. Though her eyes betrayed her, they moved about rapidly as if she were seeing her thoughts on the table top and analyzed them.

With a heavy sigh, Rose took a deep gulp of her hot green tea before putting a hand on the black leather jacket slightly squeezing the occupied girl's shoulder to get her attention. It had an immediate effect, and not in the most welcomed way possible. After they had sat down with their orders, the fiery haired teenager dived straight into her thoughts trying to figure out why she apparently lived her cursed dreams in the real world. It felt so real to her that she feared the portal had been activated and dragons were coming through to reek havoc and mayhem. The beast sounded so realistic as well, she really felt like she would be in death's grip for a second time as the wyvern jumped at her. The sheer black abyss of its scales and the haunting eyes were enough to stall her legs and mouth from moving, the pearly white talons on its winged hands that scrapped the paved pathway. That had to be a foot long and sharp as spears, the feeling of three digits on her right shoulder burst her contemplation like a rock through glass window.

"Sunset, you gotta..." the startled girl actually jumped high enough to bang her knees into the table, causing her tea to spill as she squealed.

Her heart thumped and her eyes looking everywhere for the demonic reptile, breath shallow and fast as her hands tried to crawl up the window blinds to her left only to succeed in bending them and causing a ruckus. Her world became panicked, a haze of the mind which she barely registered her friends just inches away trying to calm her down. The excitement and shock cracked once the contents of her tea spilled over and onto her lap, the still hot liquid penetrating her jeans and pricking at her skin. It was enough to snap her back to reality, looking to Luck and Sentry trying to tether herself back into the world around her.

"Sunny! Dude what's wrong? What's got you freaking out like this?!" Flash asked as he grabbed one of her quivering hands.

"Ya girl, you got some PTSD like that sergeant who came back from his tour! You spaced out... and when I touched you to..." she shut her lips and hugged the erratic former unicorn once the tears began to come forward.

She did not feel the need to let the tears go, she felt dread more than sadness at the moment. With her left hand tightening around Sentry's and her right brushing away the water drops off her face, she failed to notice rose scooted closer to her and attempted to comfort her. The adrenaline which spiked her blood had become something that hurt her in the recent weeks because of the nightmares, when it use to be a welcomed burst of energy. It took ten minutes before she settled down as the smell of her tea added to the calming atmosphere. The sting of hot water had become nothing more than the chill of a workout shirt drenched in sweat, then walked into an air conditioned room. Rose had let go of her, probably having heard her heart return to its regular pulse rate. Though she felt something stroke her left palm softly, something cradled that hand as the circular motion relaxed her tension into putty. Once her eyes opened, she noticed who was the source of the touch and she yanked her hand away.

"Shimmer..." she looked to Rose beside her with a rather angry and concerned parent look about her, "Before you have another anxiety attack, you are going to tell me what's been up with you. Your acting like Pinkie told us you had been after a night terror. Which you shouldn't be having at all!"

Flash having taking no thought of holding her hand and doing what he could to help, he withdrew his hands and crossed them on the table top as he leaned on it.

"Please, if something really is causing you trouble, we'll be glad to stop it with you. I've never seen anyone act like the way you did to being touched?" he looked at her with concern.

At first she stuttered, not knowing whether to explain things or even believe they'd trust her word about Equestria and the curse she was infected with. These were humans who saw her rise and fall, and the same with the Dazzlings. A bit of hope they'd take her word seemed promising enough to further her attempts to speak up. She feared the two still might label her a crazy freak and ditch her, deep down something felt wrong about it all. A quick bite of her lower lip and she squeezed her eyes shut for a moment to build up the courage.

"I... I've got something to answer that, but... first can... can you promise me you'll let me explain everything before you pass your judgement? Could you?" she looked at them vulnerable and worried, her eyes threatening to spill over again.

The two looked aghast as if not believing she'd actually just requested such a thing of them. Considering she was going to explain everything that Pinkie left out, and that they could finally be of real help in some fashion or form. Then again, she seemed so scared to tell them, like a kid being bullied and wanted to spill the beans of who it was that hurt them constantly. It was more than Rose could take, in her honesty she took the initiative and answered for the two of them by grabbing Sunsets right hand and wordlessly agree with the most focused look she could muster.

In defeat of the botanical part-time worker, Sunset revealed everything she could spare other than what books she went through to do her research. She mentioned who she really was and why it lead to her tyrannical hold on the school, up to her demonic possession, then how she helped defeat the sirens. Every word was hung on by the two like kids learning an old story from a grandparent, they barely moved until she finished. Though Rose seemed to be the most captivated once she got to the meeting with the Saandie and then the recent encounter with the dragon. The fact that they hadn't laughed at her nor got up to leave like any sane person would do, they simply sat still with welcoming intuitive gazes. Sunset could have seen herself swallowed by the sea of loneliness and regret, but their loyalty seemed to right her perspective and mood.

"You poor thing..." Luck slumped her shoulders as she appeared genuinely sad at her story.

"Wow... you know if your moment with that crown or the sirens didn't happen for all to see, I'd have thought your story was some kind of crazy stress related delusion." Flash scratched his head in wonderment.

"Its true! All true, each and every night I kept seeing that blasted beast... then... Discord came." she whispered his name as she looked around with paranoia in her eyes.

Rose visibly flinched at the name and looked away, but no one noticed as Flash kept his eyes on the troubled girl. He could see she was earnest in her story, it all fit with what happened since the school just sort of accepted the heroic efforts of Twilight Sparkle from another world and the magic they all bore witness to. At least now he knew why she was so tired that day and then the moment she had, a living night terror that could possibly be around the next corner and only she could see it.

"I guess that was what he meant about fighting the battle elsewhere. I get to sleep now, but I'll be seeing the curse in waking life. So either he found it funny to keep watching me suffer or even the magic holding the curse bound to me is beyond his powers. Which troubles me even more considering we're not in Equestria and no exile should have anything that powerful without absorbing mana from us. Most importantly, you two are the only ones outside the Rainbooms who know about this, please don't say a word to anyone! They'll think I'm crazy and avoid me even more than they already do." she held her arms close to her out of the need for reassurance to herself.

"Sunny, you won't have to worry about that from us." Flash appeared determined to mean his word.

"Rest assured!" Luck rebounded firmly, "I've seen you at your worst, so I know that your not lying about any of this, not when its affecting you so drastically."

Their admission to the secrecy should have been welcoming, it should have made her day. However, a part of her heart tugged, asking her thoughts as to the reasoning to have garnered such trust and willingness for the most part an estranged ex and one who watched from the sidelines. The turmoil of considering it all would have made her furious to know why, Sunset desired to yell at them and test their faith in her. All that had happened up till now just seemed like a dream come true, all too real to negate if only her instincts were not fighting it. The surge of emotions were soon drowned by a warming sensation which cooled her addled mind, just enough for her to collect her thoughts into an orderly and civil manner. It reminded her of how she felt when Celestia praised her work and put her trust in the outcome of her studies before everything went awry. That was when the question she had to ask came forth calmly from her mouth.

"Why?" Shimmer asked plain and simple looking to both of the students.

"Why?" Rose asked stunned.

"Because we have history together, I knew the real you before Twilight came and reformed you, as you put it. You have no reason to send us on some kind of bug hunt right?" Flash answered.

"And because no one at your age is good at being a master liar and could have invented that all up even with the two attempts by the ill intent at school." Luck chuckled as she overcame the initial question.

"Why care so much about me like this? When the whole school fears me, even the Rainbooms left me on the sidelines during the Battle of the Bands!" she shot out still a little hurt when that happened even if she forgave them and saved the battle from the defeat that was so close at hand.

"Because you have a heart Sunset." Rose looked at her calmly and compassionately.

"You have no reason to lie to us, and we want to help you." a loud cheer came from the group of office workers not far away.

She hadn't expected them to remain much less prove their reasons, but it was not that she didn't want their aid. It all seemed so unreal now, the whole idea of friends beyond the Rainbooms, much less her old boyfriend. With their word golden and true, they pledge themselves wholeheartedly and it was a strange sensation to feel. The storm in her heart cleared away to sunny skies, and the waves no longer splashed against the shores like slapping drapes of an open window.

"Thankyou guys... you really really have no idea how good it feels to hear that." she sniffled to herself as she brushed away the latest tears from her watery irritated eyes.

"I'll be back, gotta use the restroom. One moment!" Luck announced before getting up to do her business.

As she watched her leave for the moment, Flash spoke up, "So there's no way to find the one who cursed you?"

"No, I'm afraid the nature of the curse is in its purpose, it's meant to be caste undetected with no real signature to find and trace. Not to mention this place is a veritable desert in magic capability, otherwise I'd be able to try and scan myself and see where the breadcrumbs go. Even what little magic I can use, like with my memory library, I can't do intense spells or wards since I have so little. I wish I could access it like I did against the sirens, but it all seems tied to the others and they're all busy these days. Plus, the magic comes from our hearts when we are truly in our nature such as a song, but you can't force it so I doubt we even have much left after that Battle of the Bands anyways." she responded sullen and depressed.

"Hmmm... and you mentioned that Twilight hasn't responded back yet? I wonder what's keeping her, she's like the most resourceful member of the group. NOT that it means anything that your doing isn't valuable of course." he doubled back nervously.

She huffed before letting it slide, "If I were to trust Discord, than she's probably dealing with other issues at the moment being a princess and all that. Or she's probably buried in the archives looking for clues and answers like I am."

"The only other explanation is that the issue may have been brought to the Council and the bureaucracy there is tying everything up, probably threatening to shut down the portal and ward it with stasis or something. Those stuck up nobles know how to muck things up when something threatens their soiree parties and pretty little houses they boast so much over. If that's the case, they're just trying to keep an invasion from happening through that working gateway, failing to see that a new portal might be made. It all gets complicated with those self entitled fools." she groaned and slid somewhat down her seat.

"Kinda like our country in a way." he sighed seeing little chance of seeing Twilight or much of any new development happening.

For a moment there was an awkward silence, the two listened in on the soon to be closing cafe. While he finished his drink, which he found rather pleasant instead of a coffee from the fresh roasted bean smell in the room. Sunset went about cleaning up her mess, pulling a number of paper sheets and starting with the edge which still dripped onto her lap. Slowly she worked to absorb more of the brew as the paper towels were dropped ever closer to the cup she recently righted.

"I know we're never suppose to trust the utter lies of dark magicians, they do nothing but plot and scheme. However, I can't help but feel whoever was behind the Saandie really meant what they said by 'It was as much of my home as it was yours.'. I can't believe it, but they sounded... sad." she then pushed all the wet naps together into a pile.

"Kind of like demonic possession they make those movies out of, someone embraces the dark evil forces just for the sake of others?" Flash perked an eyebrow.

"Ya, those creepy movies, which leads me to another thing... do you wonder if those stories they are based off of are true in some sense? Like this world once had magic and its own version of the Demons? If that's the case, this world is far beyond anything on Equis in terms of its sadistic vile nature back whenever magic existed." she visible shook off the one movie he and her saw together before they broke up.

"Your guess is as good as mine, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole magic and Equestria business. I'm just a regular guy with a band, and helping his magical friends stop a dragon." he shrugged and chuckled lightly.

His little quip earned a short laugh at his attempt to be funny, "There are just so many things to consider, but I know I shouldn't trust anything the Saandie said. All lies and deceit, even if... I wanted to try and see if there was anything to it."

"You want to know what I think?" he tilted his head when he heard Rose Luck curse under her breath as she drew near, "I think you need your rest and sort this all out when your not still recovering from that freight earlier today. Think of it like this, I can't think of new songs or perform during finals exams and I'm nothing more than a zombie at then." he wagged a finger at her.

"Your probably right, plus I can't do anything more until Twilight writes back, otherwise I could be doing more work for little results or being redundant." she admitted as her hands created a ball of tea soaked paper sheets.

"Hey, we still have the Friendship Games to prepare for, it'll be good for you to take a break and get yourself active! Beating those Crystal Prep snobs will free you to handle this problem guns blazing!" he smiled at her just as Rose sat down appearing as if she hadn't just been angry at something.

"I'd... like that, I guess all the research and the insomnia really racked up some R&R points." she nodded before the old man who owned the cafe sounded last call before closing.

"Rose? Is everything alright?" Sunset noticed the distracted gaze painted on the girl's face who looked at a loss for words.

"Fine... its fine, just a little argument with mom and dad is all." her chipper attitude seemed far from her in the way she responded.

Sentry looked at his phone as it vibrated in his jacket, "Well girls its pretty late anyways, Dad wants me home soon. So we should probably walk together since we're all pretty much on the same route?"

"Ya, lets." with Shimmer's agreement, the trio left to the exit.

For the most part, the walk had been listening to Flash and his ideas for who could best suit the team and some of the training they could all do. A few team building exercises they could pass by the Rainbooms who were first on the list to ask to be on the team. He even offered Shimmer the role as leader to further distract her from her predicament. Rose Luck had for the entire trip remained quiet and fuming over the fight she had over the phone, but having kept herself the back of the group she went unnoticed until they came across her family's home.

She changed like the flip of a coin, appearing happy and full of energy like nothing bothered her as something had been. She bumped fists with Flash and hugged Shimmer before running into her house, which like her family's buisness had a large assortment of flowering plants and blooming trees. Their aromatic blossoms were something to behold and smell, calming and soothing in the late evening. The two left on their way, continuing the conversation that led to possible class time with Coach Iron Will and his new dietary advise. Minutes passed like seconds as they soon arrived at Sentry's house, not far from her dorms it seemed. She never actually visited his place before even when they dated, but the family home looked quaint and New Yorkish in design. A three level house with the lowest an underground garage with a driveway crowded with vehicles, and likely behind the closed garage door were two more sleek machines under careful maintainence.

Sunset could hear the loud sounds of a sports game through the walls and windows, all the lights were on as if a party was happening. Sentry waved off the noise, admitting it was football season for his dad and a little for his mother. With a wave of farewell the two parted, with Sunset watching him walk inside and close the door. His shadow in the nearest window which soon appeared to be joining the festivities with raise hands accompanied by the ruckus of a scored goal or denied point. She never really cared for sports, but the family atmosphere inside was something she longed for which Pinkie's visits during the nightmares had some semblance of. Having never known parents except for the role Celestia played, friends seemed to be the closes thing she could get to the desire she held. The thought followed her to her place and to her bed after she cleaned up. She hated the inclination towards a family bond, a connection which she'd be limited to those few since the school still feared her after what happened months ago.

As she laid in bed, she readied to close her eyes thinking of the games coming up. She would be given a huge task to live up to thanks to Flash, it would be a nice change of pace to be with everyone working towards the goal of defeating the rivals they lost to year after year. Since they had far more harmony than before the sirens made their debut, it would no doubt be a close call to victory. Though the memory of knowing this world's Twilight was out there somewhere helping the Dazzlings sullied the edging blanket of sleep. Which to her luck, it seemed she'd be destined to end things with a bitter taste.

PreviousChapters Next