• Published 6th May 2016
  • 4,170 Views, 66 Comments

The Siren's Remorse - TheronSniper



With the Dazzlings pendants shattered and their bodies fully human, they are left to life's machinations. However, a fellow banished soul might be the key to returning their former selves and taking revenge with a gout of flame.

  • ...
19
 66
 4,170

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 5 Canary in the Mines

Author's Note:

Edited 2/21/18

Ch. 5 Canary in the Mines

Following the formation of the pact through the foreign pendant, the girls sought out a new place to call home. With more than enough bits left they could afford a decent hotel that would meet their needs, one up to Adagio's standards at least. Fortunately enough for them they had coincidentally ended up at a tourist visitors center, one of many they had seen since the last decade they had traveled in search of fresh feeding grounds. Resembling a bus stop more than anything, it hosted a very rustic exterior and woody paneling much like the ranches around the town. As dark as it were the lights were on and three large lamps shone up to the large text sign above them. Images of apples and horseshoes bordered Visitor Center in a funny cartoonish style catering towards a softness that would welcome any and all who needed information of where to go and what to do. Inside was a rather well maintained and polished interior more modern and up to date in aesthetics which Adagio hummed to. Gray and black tiled flooring led toward the front desk manned by an elderly lady who welcomed them in happily with a wave as she squinted past thick spectacles. How odd the air tinged with the scent of apples that even Aria seemed to nod lightly in approval, not just some chemical floral bleach as usual.

The usual old lady voice vibrated in Dazzle's ears that summoned pain normally only brought by scratching scrap metal with another shard of metal, "Welcome everyone, are you passing through or staying for a bit to see the wonderful history that is the town of Equestria! The center of the finest horses and farms in the nation, as well as the best apple orchards and widest selection of ciders around. If you could sign in the guest book it will help keep this place running?" she tapped the large manuscript sized book before her sporting a dainty smile, her uniform seemed rather well kept and starched for someone so on in their years.

Aria huffed not wanting to bother with any pleasantries, turning instead to look at the nearby shelves of sites and attractions to their left. Sonata however waved and rushed over to sign the girls in believing it was an autograph they were asked of, that their signatures alone were valuable enough to keep a place running.

She sucked in a breath in joyous exhilaration, "NO WAY! You want our signatures! We haven't signed stuff in ages!" she skidded to a halt before the desk itself and began to write in their names, "So cool! Been like thirty years since we've done a large show too!"

The elderly lady seemed confused as to what the young girl seemed to reference, "Uhh... sweetie? That's not what..."

Sonata seemed consumed in the act that she ignored everyone else, "Who knew we were still remembered after that Kickapolooza! I was sure no one had the fight left in them after we sang!" she stuck her tongue out being very careful with Adagio's name.

"Kicka... polooza? The 1970... amnesia concert?! But... no one knows what... happened there." the elderly employee seemed aghast as her own past life seemed to come back to her.

Dazzle noticed after taking in the scene from Aria's browsing to Sonata's loose lips, taking into account that no one would believe the desk help even if she tried her hardest. That was a difficulty she did not want even if it were a small shrimp, thus she called out just as the cerulean girl made a rough half attempt at her fellow's name on purpose.

"Don't think too much into what she blabbers on about. She's got a rather imaginative mind and all that... watched too much TV as a kid. We'll be out of your hair in a moment." she waved off a hand to dismiss the lady's bewilderment, "Sonata!!
Here! Now!!"

A little yelp like a scolded dog and the desk soon found itself a one person booth, further loosing the rusty mind to its own comprehension. Dusk slid on the well waxed and shiny floor till she ended up saluting to her superior, nervous and anxious that she might have angered Adagio. A snap of the fingers thankfully did not lead to the fear she thought would be real, instead it was a wordless command to follow.

"Come, while Aria looks through the places to eat we shall inspect the selection of housing for us. Don't... leave my side!" her brilliant raspberry irises trained on her packmate as a sure in threat, but it was short lived once a gentle pat on the head towed in just enough to ease the other siren.

Yet another strange change in Dazzle's behavior that Blaze etched into an ongoing list of her history with the young matriarch, a list she'd been keeping after the first two centuries with her in Equestria. Though she sighed in a rather ease of relief considering how the past Adagio usually handled them when they were somewhat flamboyant in their antics she'd begrudgingly admit. Like her, she didn't care for additional hassel of attention that Sonata and her usually garnered when they got at each others throats, but it was an unavoidable bond they had. In her peripherals she noticed the two head to the other side of the large room, for a time she'd get some peace to go through the rectangular pieces of paper.

"Finally..." she grumbled.

Before the two sirens stood a two sided shelf of colorful brochures and advertisements, one of the few perk in the human realm she was quite happy to have at their disposal. Dazzle may have grown up in Equestria, scowered the globe for power and huge audiences, but there were seldom few places that catered or could fit a large siren as themselves. For what it was worth, in their hairless ape forms the word comfort was gauged on luxury so long as you had the bits which they were seldom short of usually. Beautiful rooms, lush carpet, creature comforts, electricity, free food, and easy access to places for draining negative emotions, but most of all the perfect beds.

Canterlot back then had moved into their Roman era as it were for the humans back before their banishment, needless to say their concept of a rest was lumpy and uneven. Alexandraya was a slight improvement, Mareiana the Golden Port City near the Salt Sea had to be one of her favorites when they discovered what silk was like against their scales, but most of all places such as Cinia and Neighpone who knew how to rejuvenate and recuperate. While a far cry where they were presently Adagio never let go of those new rules she adopted for their housing state, they deserved the best and no less.

Her hands began sifting through the recommended condos, hotels, motels, and even homes for rent. Oddly enough this gave Adagio a good insight to the workings of the town she really knew so little of, how open it was to tourists coming in for supposedly famed festivals dedicated to their exports and culture. Apparently, there was a large convention center that hosted rodeos, produce festivals, wine expos, and more which attracted swathes of out of state tourists and businesses. She found it through the Maximare Grand Hotel to the north whose own brochure seemed gaudy, yet they gave pricing discounts for select clients with five star accommodations the likes she hunted for. As she reached for an extra to give her insistent usurper of a pod member, another hotel caught her eye like a glimmering ruby in the darkest of nights the moon bounced from.

After what felt to be some twenty minutes of searching the old voice kicked up again,"Thank you so very much for assisting the Equestria Tourist Center, we thank you for your visit. Feel free to help yourself to the coffee and tea over there." the receptionist pointed out to the left side of the building from the entrance, a strange cartridge assortment of beverages for brewing as well as sweating pitchers of water with cups and other things.

'At least her brain fizzled out and forgot what Sonata dribbled out her mouth.' Blaze shook her head.

"Ummm... can I get something to drink?" Dusk grinned nearly cheek to cheek rocking on her heels like some human child feet away from a candy store.

The curly orange haired singer folded the promotional piece of glossy paper feeling victorious that they'd found something worth locating, "Go, and use the restroom before we leave. We have a bit of a walk to our new den and I don't want to be on some wild goose chase to find a toilet for you. It's late."

"YES!!" she squealed and headed off, parched from their walk earlier.

As their ditzy little comrade sped by Aria stashed all the adverts she found likable into her pockets, "We just ate and she still could consume more right after. She's got a bottomless pit of a stomach as there is where her brain should be." Aria chuckled.

Dazzle walked up to her side and handed her a copy of the hotel, its glittery golden silver borders spoke for her as the gentle fushia hued hand grabbed it. A good ten miles from their hated foes back at the school was the Shetland Isles Inn, a four star rated suites complete with two beds, bathroom, a living room, and a fresh continental breakfast even though there was a kitchenette included. The price was honestly on par with what was being offered, rather than charging a ludicrous amount like so many others did. Plus, they could probably seduce with their voices and get a cheaper price from the front desk, something Aria endorsed at a drop of a hat. Even the location couldn't have been anymore of a bonus, music venues were nearby as well as parks with small stages for practice.

"Well well well... looks as if we now have a home. We got what we came for so lets get over there before they overbook. Aria, you ready?" Adagio asked gazing down at the bulging pants pockets next to her.

"What? Figured I'd find places for us to eat around this town?" she answered a little irritably.

A satisfying nod from the unexpected forethought, Adagio looked about them prepared to make haste for the Inn, "Where is Sonata? Did she go outside and get lost again!?" she whipped her head so fast around that her curls of orange and cream yellow jiggled about.

With a heavy sigh, "Calm down, she's bingeing on coffee I think, over there." Blaze pointed to a row of seats off away from the beverage dispensers.

Remarkably, there was Dusk mixing and stirring all the flavored creamers into a large cup of steaming black gold on one of the five red cushioned seats. She had everything on the coffee table in her delight to get some sweet delicious in her gullet. Seeing as it was free to the public, Adagio didn't have to reprimand the girl for stuffing as much as she could into that large cup with a tremendous amount of sugary fluids. Once she walked up on the soon to be caffeinated siren, the tap of boot heels had Sonata lightly jump and look to the brains of the group.

"What?! It's dessert! I forgot to get something before we left to get here." she pouted after capping the cup with a soft pop.

"Make sure you use the restroom as I told you to do, that amount will be going right through you. I should know, remember Baltimare? Anyways, I found our new sleeping arrangements so lets get going. Oh and Sonata?" Adagio asked as she paused to get Aria.

"Ya? Did you want a taste of my coffee supreme?!" the monster concoction was soon shoved into her direction.

"Drink a lot of water once we get to the room, I don't care if you have to drink from the shower head. But that won't let you sleep and nothing keeps me from getting my nights rest. Got that!" Adagio ordered with the straightest and most stern face she could.

"Uhh.... okay?" the blue girl shrunk a little before sitting up leaving the empty creamer cups on the furnishing.

"Girls! We're leaving, it's getting late." Dazzle announced as they had a long walk ahead of themselves and they were not about to pay for a taxi.

The route was thankfully through the much safer part of the town where police patrol was frequent and bars were rare. The sun had gone down far enough to be considered twiligh, and the streetlights were humming loud for each one they passed. They had the pleasure of being mostly left alone save for the few joggers and cyclists who gave life to the otherwise little used path they took. This gave Adagio time to study the town for when they would hopefully get two more gems and thus restoring their powers back to the potency of a sea snake.

Already there were key locations to start their restoration with the lone gem they were given. It earned a toothy grin as Adagio plotted out the small fry they'd hit first and gradually work up, she had to be careful to not attract Sunset and her drones. Aria kept her eyes peeled for the type of bystanders they might consider threats, but soon enough she grew bored and safe with the lack of any such sightings. Inevitably she rifled through some of the promotions she gathered with the ones that promoted top tier seafood and the egg heavy cafe's for day meals all of which would be in their price range. Remarkably, Sonata had chosen to slowly sip away at the repugnant designer drink she fashioned herself, wanting to be self entertaining on the otherwise boring trek. A few times however, she thought she saw something skitter about in the alleyways as if running away from her sight. They may of been cats or possibly a stalker, but she didn't think much of the suspicious activity when a cop patrol passed every five minutes on the thoroughfare.

The quiet soon broke once they arrived at the destination unmolested by drunkards, the trio gandered at the clean and almost newly developed structure whose height required them to look up to see the end of the roof.

"So, what do you think? It's on the town's most recommended list of hotels, best services available with breakfast, near shops and eateries, and smack dab in the center of the most opportunistic area for musicians to perform at. And all within our budget!" Adagio proudly put her hands on her hips and struck a pose of pride.

"Not a roach motel or the empty shell of a construction zone I'll give you points for that. You said there was breakfast right?" Blaze grinned at the idea of a good shot of an espresso or other at a moments notice.

"Ohhh!! I call dibs on first bed!" Sonata nearly screamed tearing her supple lips from the lidded travel cup.

In quick response she earned an over the shoulder glare which was not any normal stare from Dazzle she knew from heart. It was an eye giving her the domination stance of territory only a matriarch could give, even her visible left eye shone with a passing glow of red from the stone. Immediately she hid behind the one other she could and appeared as submissive as possible much to Aria's chagrin of being used as a shield.

"Rule one, I get one bed to myself. If you two want me to keep us from harm with this new deal we're in, I'll need my sleep." the orange haired girl stipulated in an icy tone.

"Dude really? What happened to caring about us and all that?" Aria grumbled.

"You know how much she kicks at night, and with that coffee she's downed. I'm not sharing a bed and that's final. But..." she gave way the intimidating aura upon realizing how high she stepped up her game, "... I guess I can relent every other day alright? Sonata can sleep with me so you can get some shut eye, and that's as much as I'll offer. Happy?!"

With a shrug, "I'll take that, I mean if you think getting sleep will help you, think of how I'll be like if she keeps ME up a few nights in a row? Oh I think that will cement the deal quite fine."

"Fine!! Lets go and get our room now! The sooner she drinks a few gallons of water the less of a chance she'll give the both of us a headache tomorrow." the golden siren flipped her mane of beautiful locks eager to get a bath in and soft sheets around her, she left the two to catch up.

Sonata seemed to hold back however and observed the black lid of the disposable cup, her dower expression did not go unnoticed when Aria only heard her footsteps before the carpeted entrance. She paused and looked behind her wishing to get the night over with feeling exhausted already for some reason.

"Yo! Let's go." she told Dusk but who did not move.

She gave a few moments before asking again, "Hey! Don't you want to get some sleep too? I'm sure all that coffee isn't making her head any lighter."

Sonata seemed to wince at the prod and kept her eyes to her drink, "How... how come?"

The question barely uttered was still understood and Blaze just cocked a brow, "How come what? About the coffee? Well its got stuff in there that keeps you awake, drink too much and you won't feel like sleeping for a few hours. Mind you the time now... likely won't be till six in the morning if you're lucky."

The answer was not accepted, "No... I mean, how come I'm... you guys seem to..." she fiddled with her cup.

Aria walked up to her and crossed her arms, "Look can this wait? Last thing I need is to have Dagio turn back the agreement."

It appeared to be a waning moment for the ditzy siren who lost her mirth and curiosity, where she looked up to her fellow with a saddened look. One which sent Aria's usual mindset back a few steps, rarely if ever did Sonata allow something to get to her. It made her feel unease and regretted even saying a thing before they had secured their new home.

Eyes glossy with abundance of water which seemed to want to pour out the edges but hung on for dear life, "Am I really so much trouble? You guys like... treat me like a... a..."

Blaze looked away, "A joke?"

"Yes!" Dusk fired away nearly squishing and crumbling the manilla colored cup in her grasp, "It's not like I mean to be annoying! So what I like my favorite food and want to taste things which are delicious? I can't help it! You're always..."

Before she carried on in a manner which really made the other siren wish the Rainbooms showed up if she called out to them, Dazzle had shouted from the Inn. Her head poked out the double sliding doors with a scowl on her face, Sonata hidden by Aria from her view.

"Hurry it up! Get in here already!" she went back inside nearly stomping away, her desire to retire for sleep growing with every minute like a bull shark eager to feast from chum casting.

The sliding glass panel doors closed with a swish once more as Aria decided to take the situation by the handle. There was nothing worse for her than to be stressed out before sleep, even if there was a hot shower to come before it. Her and stress were just bitter enemies as supposedly merponies and sirens were to be.

"Look, we're all tired, we just got our powers back... even if it's just one stone. And we're working through our last meal, sorry if we're a little on edge alright?! Adagio's not making this any easier and to be honest? You do need your own bed... at least while we're human."

Dusk sniffled and used a free arm to clean her childish eyes of the tears which never fell, "So... you don't mean to be mean to me? I'm not bad?"

Rolling her eyes, "Ya! Really don't okay? Remember how insufferable you were when we had to walk from that one colonial city to the Brits held port like forever ago? You hated walking for days without a break and nearly threw a tree branch at me when I snapped at you. For Adagio and me, getting the gem back was more than enough to call it a day and not looking forward to you being hyper again. So yes, you're not really bad in fact... nevermind."

"Oh... ya, I remember that. Hehe... sorry." Sonata sheepishly grinned, she remembered not having eaten on that whole trip and they were unable to sing to anyone for a good feeding for three months straight due to circumstances.

Blaze looked back in her thoughts to what Adagio said and for what it was worth they all deserved a fresh start. In truth they shouldn't even have a chance at regaining their voices or powers for any reason at all, they lost their birth given stones and no siren survived without it. In this banished realm they defied the odds and they merely wanted to begin things as expected, perhaps she was rather harsh to talk down her comrade of the pod given everything that transpired.

"Look, just promise me you'll keep yourself in check and watch what you do and I'll..." she clenched her jaw, "... try to be less... rude. Deal?"

The two toned blue ponytail waved as she excitedly nodded her head as if she were a bobble head on a racing buggie, "Gotcha! I'll do my best for realzies!"

Aria sighed trying to put the whole interaction behind her, "Good. Now let's go before queen volcano bursts her cap." the two soon continued on as they lagged behind, entering through the first set of sliding doors the air conditioned hallway was heavily laden with pine than apple.

Sonata sneezed as the definite chemical aroma harassed her sense of smell, "I wonder if this place is like... infinite hot water?" she pondered with a quizzical look as she clutched the drink to her bosom.

Aria just raised her brow and shook her head, "Should, remember that fancy high rise we spent a month in? Even after the forty fifth floor we still had hot water for the pool. So if this two star place is anywhere close then ya. I can't say I'm complaining yet, looks like its shaping up to be something decent." she chuckled as they went through the inner doors to the lobby.

"Ahhhh... I'm so gonna soak for hours!" Dusk moaned, they hadn't been in a nice place for the last few months in search of a good feeding.

Thankfully the smell of cleaning supplies finally abated as the lobby opened up, a whole plethora of scents greeted the two sirens which were mild at best. Fresh linen wafted with the air duct overhead, the faint aroma of eggs and meat hung like stale bread though not completely unwanted, and a faint cinnamon seemed to rise off the floor. Aria's shoes clacked onto the tile which covered the rest of the walkway, she observed the rest of the structure's with judgment befitting of a veteran critic. She had seen housings over the course of their stay in the human realm, from cottages to tents, inns and motels, and the occasional Fancy Prance chains few could ever contest. For the new home Adagio laid claim to it was not a sore upon the eyes as some might be, Blaze noticed how geometrical the decorations and furniture were. Everything seemed to follow rectangles and squares from the carpet walls to the tables and lamps which perched atop them. What curves existed were solely reserved for the hallways that bent with the cafeteria area, evident by the large wall of sliding metal that locked the kitchen away off hours. The tables were even square as were the chairs, marble tops and with multifaceted lamps overhead which were off at the moment. There was no one around except the janitorial staff and the lobby receptionist, the relative peace and quiet earned an extra star for Aria's rating thus far.

As the three sirens grouped up at the rich polished stone desk where a uniformed employee attended one of the two computers, Sonata studied the the reproductions on the wall behind him. Oil paintings she felt she knew from somewhere at some point in time, but for the life of her she couldn't recollect that day. Her memories tried to jog and locate the exact era they were in, somehow the man in the chair adorning Victorian style clothing was vaguely familiar.

Aria took heed and noticed what her aloof pack mate seemed enamored with, only for her to instantly remember who the man was. She scoffed remembering that failed ploy which at the time they sought to instigate another war between the countries. If she knew her history right the painter who made that self portrait was in with the King's court and Adagio tried to use him to get close to the monarch for their voices to sink in. The war unfortunately never came to pass as the old bearded glutton later choked on a chicken bone after they managed an audience with the throne room, acting as the painter's assistants.

The very schemer herself stood awaiting to be attended which eventually the employee gave to her, though he seemed rather distracted. It was as if people of their looks and caliber were rare or unwelcomed in such a fancy place, then again Aria guessed they probably looked like kids in need of a job or something. Their garments which would pass them on as pop stars were gone and the stage wardrobe had been long since discarded.

A soft lime green hand went up to adjust the glasses upon the man's nose as his vision focused, "Can I help you three?" he asked rather neutrally.

Dazzle had her arms crossed for a moment with a dead look about her, "I'd like to get a room here."

Her plain request earned only a moment's pause and a blink of the eye before the man shrugged, "Okay, if you're unfamiliar with our prices than I can go over our selections available from lowest to highest..."

"That won't be necessary, I'd like to go with your Stay-In Suite. Found it in your paper advertisement at the visitor's center, how much?" she pressed quickly wanting to get to their new abode soon, her eyes bore the essence of impatience.

He returned that near glare with a cocked brow in question, "You'll be charged ninety bits per night ma'am?"

Her eyes narrowed, "Come again?"

"Ninety bits for the basic package a night, now it doesn't include any of the channel packages but there is the addition of a pull out bed in the living area. You'll still have access to the facilities, the laundry room, the continental breakfast, and our weekly evening social meals..." he nearly jumped when Adagio shouted.

"NINETY!!?" she gawked, "For a two bed, kitchenette, and a living room the size of a storage closet?! The brochure said the price range was forty?!" she fired at him almost slamming down a hand on the counter though she bit back hard to avoid doing so.

The man seemed to have expected as such and kept straight faced like a bouncer at the clubs they use to frequent in the larger cities. Though somewhat young in human perimeters Aria could have guessed that he'd seen his share of the whole spectrum of customers, keeping his cool professionally was a little admirable.

Still remaining in his chair neat and prime, "I'm sorry our price range is out of your budget, I can suggest other locations that would best suit you if you'd like? Those pamphlets are unfortunately outdated as of two months ago."

The cream yellow siren merely shook her head before running a hand over her face, she hated the exhaustion creeping upon her. Out of hopes that the gem in her possession would lesson or remove the human factor within her, it was indeed doing what she hoped it wouldn't. The power of the ruby had been shared in more than the ability to sing and consume the needed negative energy, all three benefited from the one stone. Thus they were not truly free of mortality but to what extent she cared not for until she was in her own bed.

Like the flip of a switch she straightened up, her posture seemed regal in a sense and a snap of the finger had her Dazzlings by her side. Though the two were lost as to what was being planned they did as they were wordlessly commanded of, with Adagio all over the place there was no telling how they'd get the room unless magic was involved.

She cleared her voice, "How about we get it at thirty five bits?" she began and went into a soft lulling song with the transition of an angel, "Weee are merely in neeed of a little place to feeeeel at hooooommee!"

Her sultry tone became easy for the other two to pick up the line and add the chorus behind it, while impromptu it was still enjoyable to even commit to a little number. The vibrations in their throats pleasurable as they alternated between pitches, unlike the pop genre they adopted a couple decades ago it seemed as though a simple song was proper. Blaze knew it had been a long time since they used such music, they always had to fit in the times they performed in to really sink in. The classics were however one of her favorites as that was the core of sirenkind, how long had it been since the doomed Canterlot musical tournament where Dazzle invented so many new branches from the basic hymns?

"Can't you giiiivvvee us a little help? We wooon't be muuuch troublllleeee...." Dazzle sang keeping herself composed knowing the electronic eye of the cameras were watching ceaselessly.

The receptionist's eyes glowed with a green luminescence as he starred at them in awe, he nodded to her request like a zombified corpse. A slow turn in the wheeled chair had him back at the computer where he typed away and located the room that was desired.

The golden siren grinned as the trio's eyes flashed red for a split second, the ruby hidden in her clothing felt warm against her chest, "I will give you what you ask..." the man droned, "... one room with... discount. I can give manager's..."

The pause seemed troublesome as if the song wavered in its potency, so the trio spoke as one to inject a little more of their intoxicating venom with a delicious resonance, "Buuuut?"

He seemed to swallow a lump in his throat before striking a key to finalize the purchase, "You have my vacation's savings... allotted to your payment. Thirty bits a night... for one... month."

It was not the kind of reaction they were expecting, their magic had usually made prey adore them without fail. But the pain in the receptionists voice not only fed their gem it also earned wariness. Unlike the session at the park where the people literally fought one another, producing the energy they needed. It seemed as if their voices were forcing by allure, and if he was indeed fighting to keep his bits it became a losing battle. Adagio could only hope that the visible queues were permanent and forgotten, one stone might night be enough to entrance a strong willed employee.

His eyes appeared heavy as if sleep were encroaching him, but he still handed the slid cards for keys and the receipt once Dazzle handed over the bits, "Second level... elevator to the left... rooms have further... information."

The three seemed to recoil at the drained individual whose sluggishness was not a wanted byproduct, thus they collected the items and left quietly. Though as they did the man called out with a wave, a smile over his once dower features.

"I'd love to hear you three sing again?!" he asked as they turned the nearby corner and disappeared.

The ride up the elevator held only the mechanical lifting gears clang and bangs amid the classical music played overhead. Rich magenta eyes starred at the chrome metal doors finding the huge blemish of what was the mistaken use of steel wool instead of a cleaning cloth, just a tangle of scratches which obscured Adagio's body. Leaving only her head and tufts of curls visible, though the way the chrome seemed bent or warped ever slightly distorted her glorious visage. It only served to add to the conflict within her she silently brooded over even long after the doors opened again.

The two way halls which forked to the sides off to the left were apparently devoid of anyone at the moment, given the time it was no wonder. Carpet sporting dark blues and reds held checkerboard patterning boarded in the center by sidelines, the faint scent of apple pie rose from the clean fabric. The walls were rough plastic and a dull dark sea blue, lights in the ceiling ever ten feet of soft vanilla lead the way onward. Everything felt new and clastrophobic to an extent, though the girls had used such residences before from different time periods. Turning another left off the next corner they stopped as a man arrived before them from the stairwell which continued to the upper levels. He had a phone that he busily distracted himself with in a conversation and in the other hand a plastic bag with a six pack of some kind of beverage. The glass containers dinged as they jostled from every step, but Adagio let him go ahead still hosting a divided focus.

Eventually the human male entered his room a few feet ahead with their room number not far past his, where upon they stood before the door they quietly held it in all its fantastic pleasure. Since that horrible night they were chased from Canterlot High and collapsed in that diner, from Aria's regrettable bump in with the apes, to their new gems they were finally off the streets. Adagio's hand which went to slide the key card was all to satisfying to hear as the lock clicked.

"I got dibs on the bathroom!!" Sonata nearly shouted as she barged into the dark room.

There came the sound of the ditzy girl as she fumbled into something and fell, bringing something along with her to which Dazzle could only sigh into her hands as her trance was shattered. Upon entering she hit the light switch just after the door on her right, it became apparent as to what unfolded in a matter of seconds which the other two could believe was possibe. Dusk had taken down the nearest lamp stand and banged her head into the tall vertical mirror next to a closet. Though that did not faze her in the least as she crawled up just as the lights were flicked on.

"Bathroom bathroom bathroom!" she whimpered, brushing off the bruise that was forming under her hand on her forehead.

Scooting on the floor on all her limbs she eventually made it to the lavatory and kicked the door shut. The short lived peace for the duration was enjoyed like a savory dessert, involving the activation of every light they could get their hands on. With illumination lighting the whole suite they could truly take in every ounce of detail that would be the Dazzling base of operations. Aria sighed as she ran a hand on the work desk which was used for the businessman and their laptops, the information folders as promised sat waiting to be opened. While Dazzle left to the bedroom, her subordinate continued on investigating for queerness to be fixed if it did not fit into their needs.

The living area was indeed as small as Adagio mentioned earlier, two large sofas in one corner with a lamp stand between them. A coffee table that slid for computer savvy upon metal legs, another table that hugged the floor had magazines and promotions along with controllers for the flatscreen before it. The entertainment system gleamed with polished black surfaces that unified the device and its furnishing, a large rectangular window remained closed but Aria gave it a peek through the large blinds. They had a great view over another park and outlying restaurants, but most of all the busy road was on the other side of the building which meant sleep was promised.

"Huh? Stroke of luck there." she whistled hearing the toilet loudly flush.

She turned to look at the kitchen however tiny it was, enough counter space for two to work with. A large fridge and plenty of cabinets which had to host the necessary cooking implements that would remain unused in their stay most likely. Next to it was the dining table capable of holding four on thin chairs, a complimentary condiments holder had the coffee, teas, and garnishes. The whole room from there to the bedroom had a warm color scheme to it, inviting the siren to join Adagio and seek out the bedding. Knowing how much Adagio would rather have her own room to herself for the first night uninterrupted, she strolled over to the right and peered in. Everything for two people to enjoy the lavishing qualities of such a suite, the bathroom which was still shut could wait in her mind.

Blaze hungrily sought the large queen bed itself and did what was only appropriate, she launched herself onto it face down with a soft plop. Seeing as the bedrooms had to have their own stand alone necessities she was assured a short rest once she heard the shower head hiss. Of course it helped to even hear the commentary of what awaited her once the dullard was done in there.

"Ohhh! We even get fancy soaps too!" Sonata gleefully mentioned as the sound of wrapping paper crumbled from opening.

Aria lifted her head just enough with the crick in her neck bothering to no end, "Leave me some or I'll make sure you sleep on the floor!!" she said with a grumble.

"OKAY!!" she replied as the AC started up with cool crisp air flowing into the room.

Aside from the mild machine hum, the running water only served to lull the siren into a peaceful rest as her legs finally let themselves known of their exhaustion. Having been so use to walking as often as they did, whenever they came to a legitimate resting point her body just seemed to quit on her. She gladly gave them what they wanted as her hams raged at her, but she ignored the throbbing as it came to head. Instead she focused on the sounds and the fresh clean sheets she only nestled into as if it were soft sands of her Equestrian home. Lilac was the scent she figured had been the case, not too strong and not too weak which meant she'd really get a great nights sleep soon.

An hour passed before the restroom opened up, waking up Aria who saw stars before her after opening her eyes to the nearest lamp. Sonata stepped out with a freshly washed body and a dripping wet waterfall of hair, she had covered herself with towels leaving all her garments on the white tiles behind her.

"Umm... Aria? Are you alright?" Dusk inquired nervously using a finger to remove some soap still trapped in her left ear.

"I... it... feels good to... live." Aria huffed at each word as the overdue power nap reeked vengeance upon her mind.

"Huh?" Dusk tilted her head in confusion.

The cerulean girl peered out the mini hall and noticed Adagio had closed her room off, leaving the rest of the abode to them. While she'd have normally gone about exploring to her hearts content, she felt somehow tired herself after the relaxing hot water cleansed her of more than just the sweat and dirt. With a full belly and little else to do she gazed at the TV screen left for their room to use, her hands desperately wanted to grasp the controller and turn it on. Yet as Aria lifted her groggy self up a sharp pang of restraint held her back, her fellow pod member had made a point of it to ease off her tendencies. It would be best to probably call it a night and check whatever was on the television in the morning.

She yawned and plopped herself on the edge of the bed, her little toes wiggled freely in the air. The pink nail polish she had on them back from the Battle of the Bands had been worn off till just flecks remained. Still slightly awake from the coffee she grabbed her long hair free of its banding and set about drying it carefully. The towel around her neck held in her hands softly pressed into the long strands she hadn't trimmed since they were exiled.

The other siren had lurched herself off to her feet and stretched, "Gonna get a wash in. We're sooooo sleeping after."

Dusk looked to her as she walked grimly to the restroom and closed the door, "Okay."

Time flew by for the ancient singer who worked herself to a semi moist state, while dry enough to not dampen the sheets the air conditioner certainly felt cooler to a near icy touch. Taking a moment she ran her hands along her body when a random thought passed by, realizing that her own gem was still shattered. Her own body subject to sharing a gem with the others was but mortal flesh not long ago, the concept rather hard to grasp still hung around like an annoying fly. She figured she should have felt more concerned over the fate of which they were in after the Rainbooms punished them, but to her somehow the world was its own joy even if she couldn't sing. She wondered even further of what their lives would have been like had they not been given a new stone.

The water shut off abruptly and the sound of the curtain pulling loudly swooshed, "Wow... being really human? I wonder if Adagio and Aria would have gotten jobs or went to school? Hahaha... I would have liked to try Canterlot High again, I liked their music and the food!" she flopped herself back against the sheets and her head on the two pillows.

She didn't notice the lights in the living area turn off or the rest of the main room as she pondered on the train of thought to herself.

"I wonder how long we could have lived? Man... I can't even remember how long humans lived? Maybe we might have had families too? Nah! I would have been happy living on a beach in that Cancoon resort. Open waters and unbelievable buffets! Ahhhhh..." she sighed happily as she tucked herself into a snug pocket beneath the blanket.

A turn of the knob and out came a toweled fushia hued teenager with similar hair loose and trailing drops of water. Dusk smiled at her though she received no attention, the sense of security and comfort born from the room provided all the recriprocation she needed however. Blaze just took herself over to her side and continued to dry off in the cool fan of the vents, she stripped and pulled another towel to her head to hand dry herself in the process.

"Hey Aria?" Sonata asked as she wiggled her feet under the sheets.

"What?" she received in a dull tone.

She starred at the ceiling going back to her contemplation, "Ever wonder what we might have become or done if we didn't like... get the new pendant?"

Blaze huffed, "No..."

"For realzies? Not even what we could have done since we were you know... human?" she pressed with the verbal prod.

While a little rougher with her thigh long hair she was still studious in making sure she'd wake up on a dry fluffy cloud of cotton and not on wetness, "Ya... what's the point! We're sirens again voice and all. Not like it matters anymore."

"But come on? Do you think we could have gone to school, gotten pedigrees, gotten jobs, started families... maybe... gone our separate ways?" she hesitated on the last part.

For what it was worth she received a cease of movement from her comrade, she stopped moving except to breath. The most driest part of her locks waved in the breeze of the AC, rouge droplets trailed down the smooth skin of her back until they were absorbed by the towels below her. The space of non response hadn't yet be detected by the exuberant siren, she just waited patiently until Blaze answered in one way she expected.

How off guard she was caught when the reply was anything but in the tense air of the bedroom, "Ya... thought of it once. Would of gone my own way to be honest with ya."

Sonata twitched and turned towards her, "Really? Even if Adagio would have fought you to not do so?"

She shrugged, "We were powerless back then, she wasn't a matriarch at the time. We've been stuck in this world for what feels like six thousand years and you really don't think I wouldn't have gone off alone?!"

Dusk shook her head innocently, "Kinda figured we'd... I don't know, stuck it out for a little while longer? Maybe go back to Canterlot High and swing a lie or something? Maybe we would have graduated and done stuff?"

"Ha! That would be a day I'd have cared to have gone back home to my mother. Look... without our voices we had no purpose nor need to stay glued to each other. We've seen how these humans live and thrive, easily fit in for me and Adagio. You though... can't say?" Aria noted as she rose up and threw the towels on the floor.

"Would you have gotten a family? Find some man and gotten a kid too?" Sonata pressed out of general curiosity, they rarely actually ever talked of idle intrigue so it was a rarity to even ask of such.

Just before an answer was given, when the two of them were apply secured for a nice long night of deep sleep for tomorrow's expected plans, their room's light flickered as if power had surged through the lines. The two rose their heads up to see their leader standing in the doorway, her hair disheveled and sopping as if she too just exited her bathroom with barely an attempt to towel herself dry. Blaze had been too far off the edge of near sleep to catch the strange gaze cast upon them, she almost wanted to close her eyes and simply say yes and no at random times to seem as if she was there. Sonata however did not like the way that Dazzle had quietly come out of her room and ended up where she was undetected. Not only that but the strangeness of her posture and the lack of poofy curls was equally off setting.

Noticing that they'd have to be the ones to greet her least they likely stay in the awkward silence Dusk waved from under the cover, "Come to... say goodnight?"

The golden siren had been boring a hole into their bed's backboard before she focused on her specifically, but once those jewel-like orbs transistioned onto her own a chill crossed her warming body. The kind which meant that the situation was not right at all and to be alert meant it saved her from pain or humiliation, of course either which was hard to do.

A long exhale through her little nose and Adagio replied, "What were you two just talking about? I'd really love to know?"

Aria would have rolled her eyes but they were shut already, "Little miss wonder brains was just asking what we'd have done if we didn't get the new stone. You know how she likes to day dream..." she waved her right hand before dropping it like dead weight.

"Huh? Interesting... well not that any of that is important nor worth your time to think about. I came over to say something." Dazzle leaned into the door frame as her sight went back and forth between the two.

She earned the audience as Blaze cracked her eyes begrudgingly, while Sonata seemed to just return her own with the mirthful giddy befitting of the beverage which kept her awake and thinking. Crossed arms and a cocked leg began her peace as she cleared her throat to continue.

"I believe you already know what I want to say so I'm just going to give this one last piece before we wake up in the morning." the two were fully listening by then, "We are the Dazzlings! We've come from the precipice of doom by sheer luck. So from here on out every move we make will be calculated and analyzed with all three of us putting our opinions in. For the betterment of this group, cooperation will prevent a relapse and allow us to better respond to the magic those hacks have. True... while we only have one gem for now, I can only guess and hope our benefactor will have the rest. And assuming we haven't signed our lives away, we'll have a firm stepping stone to grow our powers beyond anything we've had before. All I'm trying to say is... do you trust me? Committed and fully to me... the head of the pack?"

The light violet hued siren gave one long exasperated breath as she turned from her side and onto her back pissed that she could sleep anytime soon, "Look, whatever you think was being said because Sonata asked a stupid question... don't worry about it! We can sing again, we can gain our magic back, and I'm pretty sure we've ALL learned our lesson in dealing with the likes of those fools at the school. So ya, you have our trust."

"Ya, we just do what you say until someone else comes along right?" Sonata joined without caring about the words she chose.

"Traditionally speaking yes, but we're in another world with different rules and magic. So I'll forget what you just said Sonata... I'm merely asking you to not just be loyal because you have to. I want you two to be in this one hundred percent! Which means this is a willing pact like we did through the gem." she brought a hand up in supplication, though the show of weakness was overlooked to her benefit.

The air conditioner chugged off and the hum died, "I'm game, so long as you know when to stop?" Aria dictated and meant the moment they should have quit the fight and made off with the magic they had.

"I wouldn't be anywhere without you guys! And I want to keep singing again like you want to. So I'm all for you Dagi!" the cheery girl shook a fist in victory.

"Ya, what knucklehead said, I don't want to be on the streets waiting for that fist to hit me again." Aria shivered and covered herself with the bedding.

Hearing the agreement between themselves flower, the group was secured in its future that Dazzle was sure of, "Perfect, well then now that that is taken care of. We have a long day tomorrow shopping for some new threads and all the little things we need. We can probably hit a park before we come back and get some more bits stockpiled. Get some sleep girls. Goodnight."

"Nighty Adagio. Night Aria!" the blue girl whooped before springing to her side of the bed.

"Whatever..."

Canterlot High

Before the first class of the day, Pinkie had called an emergency meeting at he library to which response was swift. Even for Rarity who needed plenty of time to prep herself for public and Fluttershy who had duties at the animal shelter, their magic in efficency completed what normally took an additional hour in the morning. Now the group sat at a distant study desk far off in the history section far away from any other students who were mingling in the archives.

While no big baddie was at the school's doorstep, the condition of which one of their friends were in had been enough to elicit questions and deep fears. To Applejack the poor girl looked like she'd done a repeat through Haunter's Eve fright event during Halloween, shaking and looking as if her hair had been blasted by a shop fan.

“So that’s what happened to me.” Sunset bashfully recounted what had happened the night before, Rarity worked her skills on her appalling hairdo crafted from the stress.

“And even after I warned you what worrying would do to you, but you go out and have a horrendous dream like that! All will be well soon enough darling! As I've had to help Rainbow fix her bird's nest before going on camera during the finals last year.” the fashonista sang the last few words with Sunsets frayed hair being tamed into a presentable state.

“HEY!!" Dash tried to sound offended though that day specifically was an awesome account to behold, "Well even though it sounds like battling a room full of snakes and a giant dragon like that is something I could do in my own sleep, I think I’ll pass on that nightmare encounter.” she said while tipping on the back legs of the chair haphazardly.

The farm girl shot her a glare before speaking up, “Dreams are just dreams sug, and I’ve had plenty of worrisome ones when the drought and flood seasons did their damage. It’ll feel like it’s real and someone is there to make it worse, but it’s always your fear gett’n the better of ya. You are scar'in yourself, ain’t nothing more to it than that.” Applejack nodded as she patted Sunset on the shoulder for support.

While Rarity finalized the last portion of her bangs into order, Flutteryshy produced a strange webbed object dotted with feathers and beads from her bag. It looked like a net to catch a fish with, but the hole in the center made it useless. The equestrian gazed upon the odd construct which reminded her of an old pony belief held during the mass migration to Equestria, an odd morsel of knowledge that peaked on her radar. It was made to ward away bad luck or something similar, though that was as much as she could fathom as her hand still quivered. The meek girl confirmed her suspicions with a brief backstory to its origins while handing it over to her seemingly as a gift.

“One of the nice ladies at the shelter belonged to a tribe of indigenous people from the next state. She's a healer among them and helped the shelter’s more critical care patients when medication failed to do any good. Before they had to leave, we were given these handmade dream catchers as a parting gift for being so kind towards nature’s children. This is hung by your bed to catch the spirits who seek to harm you in your dreams. And you look like you need this more than me… if that’s alright with you of course.” she explained with a weak smile.

Sunset took the item and felt an immediate relief overcome her aside from the logical approach of hers which pinned it on a placebo effect. Even if it was the gesture was enough to placate the lingering after effects that hung on like gum on the bottom of ones shoe on a hot day, Pinkie's breakfast and friendship could only do so much. Having had her spirit eased, Fluttershy received a well appreciated embrace at the expense of Rarity’s final touches and her hotty response to being interrupted.

The first class of the day would start soon, thus once the group shared one last mighty bear hug with their troubled teammate. Such feelings were in their own way restorative to the point that Shimmer felt nearly free of the horrific night, going so far as to feel a tingling sensation wash over her that originated from the rest. Perhaps it was magic or maybe the love each had for one another that contact in such manners offered the greatest method of detecting it, either way the former unicorn basked in the aura.

Without any further words the girls broke the congregation and departed to their own classrooms soon to start. Some waved Sunset goodbye while others simply left. It was a calm rest of the morning for the last of the Rainbooms who sought her locker for the science course she remembered a test would soon come across her lap, the hum drum of Canterlot High flew over her like a rushing stream did a rock. Classmates talked by their lockers, teachers chatted with one another or rushed with their day’s lesson plan in tow. The usual blaring sounds of the hallways bombarded the ears, but for Sunset she zoned out with the newfound peace of mind that the magic of friendship bestowed upon her. Giving way to rushing fellows and avoiding accidents like some trained nanny with years of experience, in the back of her mind the nightmare had been no ordinary mishap of the mind. No stress or even the days after she had been reformed from her demonic state proved to feed such a dream.

Dodging Bulk Biceps who held two new ballasts to replace in the literature classroom for the teacher, she gave a quick tap to remind him to be cautious in moving around. The giant of a young man smiled at her and waved, gently he put the long pieces of metal down and hugged them instead of over the shoulder.

'That nightmare had magic involved that I know for sure. Why else would Starswirl the Bearded appear and try to warn me? If that was an ordinary night on human standards than I don't want to see the worst side of it.' she thought to herself.

Turning to her locker she dialed in the combination code and rifled through the contents, grasping the notebooks and text. Surprisingly enough as she did there were a few letters that had been slipped into the grating, while they were usually not pleasant ones up to date of which she did earn the spite. The ones which fell onto the tile floor she bent to her feet to pick up had oddly enough hearts and apples drawn onto them. Symbols of love and friendship the students used as code for the contents of notes, a first for her ever since her first year in the human realm.

Grasping them with her fingers she turned the four over and found none to possess the rotting apple symbol, "Guess these are from the battle against the Dazzlings? At least not everything's bad..."

She stashed the notes into a jacket pocket since there was usually one of the writers nearby watching for her reaction. Locking her storage unit before heading off to class she resumed the notion that began to make sense.

'Whenever magic is involved things get too real, and I've never had such vivid dreams before either. Those things... those wisps were real though and they kept me glued to the window. They were afraid of the light... which makes me wonder if the sirens have friends or a back... up... plan.' Shimmer paused in her stride.

It was something she dwelled on only a little, but the issue was still there to look into. Was Adagio smart enough to have a way to get back at those who might defeat them? She had already proven to have the element of surprise and cognition to play the school for the food source they were to them. It was an unknown she needed to research for the good of all, which unlike herself Adagio was the vindictive type who would likely go to the ends of the world just to get revenge.

‘Well if magic was indeed involved like I know it was then I'll need to write to Princess Twilight. While I wait for her response I can look into my old days at Canterlot's Royal Library with that spell I still have. Just need to put aside the magic the girls have for now with this a little more important to us all. Now what was than memory spell?' she pondered as she soon entered the classroom and took her seat.

Most of the students were busy on their phones to talking the wind as she set her supplies before her in the back seat against the wall, ‘There was a particular energy that made it feel so real... what was that energy? I knew it well too! Something Celestia or a unicorn once spoke about in the darker days of Equestria's founding...'

The bell rang to begin the day with the teacher strolling in with her books and day planner, the one and only Ms. Cherrilee. Her mouth moved but no word reached Sunset's hearing, not that she needed to listen for the first twenty minutes. As someone as capable as her could easily grasp the cirriculum with ease and directions were not required, it was why she had the back seat so the more needy students could be watched without problems.

'Okay so no luck recalling any of that ancient knowledge until I can see my memories as they are in my head. Likely will need all night to perform the spell if my magic is easily as accessible as I believe it is? Only the most accomplished unicorns can perform it... if I'm not careful I could easily damage myself to the point that I'll be nothing but a blubbering Diamond Dog rolling in gems however. Not something I'm looking forward to but I know I can do it! It's for my friends and the safety of their home as it is mine!' she proclaimed to herself with confidence in her eyes, the day would be painful to anxiously await the hour of the special spell.

Dazzling Hotel Room: Next Day

'Mother... please...'

A loud bang blasted loudly, a wave of air and sound shook the air and land as it passed by. A river nearby rocked and gurgled from the sudden catastrophe.

'Mother!!! Father!!!'

The deep ocean with its bottomless void beneath the waves came rushing forward, hooves rose to the face to brace for the solid surface of churning waves. The ice cold water sent a jolt through the body, and then... it was all black.

Eyes cracked open to the sound of fluttering outside, a crack of the morning sun filtered in through the otherwise dark interior of the space. Something had struck the glass as it desperately tried to get in for a few more vain attempts, whatever it was it gave up eventually. Redish pink irises soon peaked through their fleshy barrier as the head swayed to the right, drawn to the sound of humming from the wall unit below the large window.

With a blank mind as a numb body Adagio felt something hard as rock and smooth as glass held in her left hand, where it rest upon her chest which rose with every breath. The offending sound earlier having left returned the placid atmosphere to which had cradled her into a full nights rest. Her legs moved and felt the coolness of the chilled sheets, causing her toes to flex and her arms to begin stretching on their own accord. With the free hand she groped the night stand to the right and found something she was looking for, a hard plastic case with soft buttons she knew which to press.

Past the foot of her bed the large TV flicked on and nearly blinded her, casting white light upon the bedroom as the news channel came on. Thankfully the previous user or the cleaning staff had put the volume on low, her eyes squinted to see as they painfully recovered from the blight.

"AAAuugghhh...." she groaned.

Useless images and words filtered into her senses but it only served to get her gears rolling. Minutes later she managed to collect herself and begin the day though she wished she could remain in bed for a little while longer. The dream she had having been forgotten easily was little more than a small irk that a splash of cold water upon her features erased entirely.

Cold was everywhere, from leaving the sheet to stepping bare foot into the bathroom she tolerated it as it assisted in the waking process. She needed and craved the black liquid known as coffee, she had to be alert quickly so she could deal with the other two likely dead in their bed until she forced them out. What happened before she went to bed was a blur, though she couldn't find it in her to even bother with it.

"Can't... wait till... other gems..." she murmured to herself exiting the restroom for a B-line to the coffee maker.

In minutes she ripped open one of the packets and loaded the machine, waiting barely two minutes left to her empty thoughts before searing hot black gold was set to serve. She grasped the small ceramic mug and filled it nearly to the brim, not adding a single packet of sugar or creamer before sipping slowly away. The steaming fluid burned so good as it stung her tongue and lips, her hands encompassed the form to absorb the heat. She took her first seat at the black dining table alone and in the dark, she could still see rather well even with the lights off with the sun peaking in every little space and crevice it could. Soon the whole room smelled of delicious roasted beans which in turn spared her further action from her reverie of the morning cycle. Aria stumbled into view with barely a towel covering her all if just to cover up for warmth.

Dazzle looked up to the scraggly haired siren, "You... look awful."

To which the response was a mild hiss, her common method of morning greetings. It was a left over from their birth world, one of few signs which meant a packmate was properly rested and able to defend themselves on the spot. A healthy thing the trio shared between each other and it brought a modicum of joy to the young matriarch.

"It's over in my room, don't drink from the machine by the way!" she warned more less out of jest.

Nearing half the serving in her cup and a healthy hunger pinging her attention, Adagio waited for the additional company before resuming in consumption. Blaze was always the usurper type that she knew from the day she brought her into the fold, a lone young siren in search of her own pack. While a handful at times the two often were a well engineered test to their pride and power, two heads that bumped for supremacy as was common for their kind. For if a matriarch never received some kind of contest to her role she grew weak, they needed a reminder as to who and why they were in position from another. Peaking orders were even common among pups and hatchlings, the weak weeded out and the strong recognized for the future of the pod.

Blaze amazingly took a gulp of the hot liquid and contorted her face in pain, but she handled it quietly before speaking. Her hair usually in twin tails hung limp and roughly a mess from the night cycle, her eyes closed shut as she did whatever it was she had to in order to be functional.

"Once you're finished, we'll go down and get some grub. Do whatever you have to and get Sonata up, you have thirty minutes once I leave the table." she asserted herself and swigged half of what was left in her mug.

Aria hissed again but not at her specifically as the beverage worked almost instantly on her nerves, "Right! Drag her into the shower and turn on the cold water."

"That's my girl..." Dazzle darkly chuckled, "But only if you have to... remember we're in this together." to which she received a growl of confirmation.

The golden siren took her leave from the table soon enough with her beverage safely being absorbed within her, making her own preparations for their true day out as newly empowered Dazzlings. Entering her bathroom as a lion fish battered along a reef during a storm and exiting as the head of Equestria's sirens abroad. The magic of the stone assisted in her beauty time thus saving her thirty minutes of struggling with the lion's mane behind her. A simple spell allowed each strand to be manipulated with ease as if it were as straight as her packmates, by running her fingers like a large comb she tamed the frazzled chaos and placed her spiked hair band where it belonged. Within the hour all three were ready and out the door, the breakfast which came with their new stay had already wafted up into the elevator which was detected as soon as they entered.

"Ahhh man! I can smell... bacon! Sausage... waffles... definitely eggs! Bread too!" Sonata's mouth salivated nearly profusely as she barely contained her mirth.

The mechanism softly shifted up above as they reached the first level and Blaze took in a nose full, "Fresh coffee with a full body roast... yup, this place is turning out pretty good so far."

"That's because I made sure it suits our needs, I know we need to eat and saving bits on food here works out well. You can get your mind on the ball and she will be able to fill up. Everyone's happy." Adagio smirked rather proud of herself.

With grace and a sour face from Blaze they made a path through the few other customers who were staying in the Inn. All three loaded their modest servings with primarily eggs without the presence of anything they'd would have preferred. The soft fluffy protein rich substance was a call back to the bird eggs hatchlings were given in their first years and carried on as a delicacy the older they became. Seeing as the kitchen offered a large silver pot of the food item there was no denying the sirens their little comfort food.

Having lumped enough to tide her over till noon Dazzle inspected the plates of the others with intrigue, 'So Aria's splashing hot sauce on hers and Sonata's... making a sandwich with the pressed cakes. So long as that keep them full I guess?'

Finding their meals appropriate she ventured out of the food zone and secured a table outside, the patio area devoid of anyone for the perfect place of sanctuary. As she noticed a small family with talkative kids who'd get on their nerves within minutes, rather than risk issues the outdoors seemed preferable. It was to be a fantastic beginning and she shant have it blundered by the humans.

"We'll eat out here, away from the rabble." Dazzle said as she sat into her chair and opened a napkin over her lap.

"Cool, I'm going to get three more cups before I eat. Still not awake." Aria told her plainly and uncaring.

Dusk watched her leave through the glass door and soon took her place on the right side of the ambitious girl, "Wow, you really chose an awesome place. For realzies, I never got to make one of these before?!"

"Yes well, I am amazing indeed." Adagio smiled at the compliment before taking the first spoon full of yellow curds.

She relished in the soft texture and the welcoming flavor, lightly salted just the way she liked. The morsels broke apart between each bite until she swallowed the mash, sighing with a loving tone as life as of then worked with her. Never again would they be banished to the streets with no powers to aid them, never again would she allow failure to cripple them, and most certainly never again would she play with her food. Swearing on her own heart and her late family, if she ever saw Sunset Shimmer and the good for nothings she'd drain every ounce of negative energy in them.

Blaze arrived shortly into the ire she had for the sun kissed teenager, four mugs in hand all exuding vapors of steam, "So? What did I miss... other than Sonata making a mess over there?"

Dazzle elected to ignore what would sully her mood, "Nothing at all. Now take your seat. We have much to cover."

Equestria- Royal Library

Twilight had taken to her research like a spear through the air when Princess Luna took her sisters spot for the night, the transition from Day Court to Night Court couldn't have come quick enough for the young princess. Celestia warned Luna of the situation and her role as a watcher for Twilight, the Princess of the Night was ill prepared for the full demonstration of her love of knowledge once she trotted into view.

As she slowly trotted to the Black Tape Archives which lay within a cordoned off hallway of the Royal Library. Twilight had sat down by the enchanted double doors with piles of papers, packets of new quills, and a crate of ink wells set for her research for what could amount to a year's worth. At first Luna wondered if there was some kind of expedition into the Archives she was not informed of, but the closer she drew to the cache the more sense it made. Before she could even say a word or give a formal greeting, she could see Sparkle’s ears twitch to her hoof steps with the anxiousness of a new Night Guard recruit posted at her spire room.

Instantly a barrage of information came at her with the full force of a hurricane, even for a mare of her age and teaching she couldn't quite make heads or tails of what the lavender pony said. Thus she waited for the right moment before holding a hoof up to give pause, her ethereal mane blowing in the mana winds added to her silent request of pardon.

“As verily as it would be to hear more into what you plan on partaking in, I believe it is best to be in action? I will gladly go over the rules of the Archive before you set out your mission at hoof.” Luna smiled as Twilight realized her habit had already taken a fair amount of time as it were.

She bowed with a blush, “I'm sorry for that Princess Luna. So ummm... how do we get inside? Is there some kind of spell like Celestia used to keep the elements in lock and horn?” Sparkle asked as Luna stepped up to the arching doorway that stood some thirty feet high where the point nearly hit the ceiling.

The entire secret hallway was vaulted from end to end, bland and purely designed for function. Almost as if they were made to be deceiving on purpose to all who were not welcomed past the guards posted outside. It was clearly evident that the vault itself lay within the mountain side, no windows were visible and only the Library itself hosted any such ports. Upon the polished rock and marble tiles of the floor was a single gray rug with runes of yor stitched by hoof into the fabric itself. Candle posts anchored into the floor were lit and shining the only light in the area, but it was evident at they were tended to daily as no spent wax drippings dirtied the ground.

“Yes, though I’m proud to say far more complicated than that. When we returned, my sister found it necessary to make me the guardian of the Black Tape section and for good reason. It was in hopes that in the most dire of times if such unique and rare material were ever needed, it would be my duty to allow or deny entrance since I know the darkness and its invasive ways. Other than being the Princess of the Night and Guardian of Dreams, it was a move to encourage more contact with the kingdom through such a position. As this may be banned knowledge, there are times the qualified need seek out such wisdom of power and ill intent to save others... much like you are doing.” Luna let her horn hum softly as she sent a magical signature into the tip of her horn.

She held her tongue and touched the master crafted doors with barely a tap, sending a silent pulse of magic along its surface as if it were a pond and a stone were tossed through its surface. The ornately sealed portal appeared to respond to her mana as hidden mechanisms whirled and clicked within, they were as thick and durable as any fortress monetary of the old times that could withstand cannon bombardments at point blank range.

A magic sensitive wood had been used for the main body, with gold and platinum laced into protective glyphs on every inch of surface as if calligraphy were used as a basis. Broken only by embedded gems that acted as mana capacitors to ensure the locking enchantment remained in place for years at a time before needing to be recharged. It took Twilight a mere moment to sense how far the shield went, her horn lit slightly to detect the chamber wide barrier from side to side and top to bottom. She couldn't sense anything inside and it only served to make a point at how powerful the spells which protected the archive were. Her scrying magic was top notch ever since Queen Chrysalis had invaded her home, having taken two hours of each passing day to hone the scan for molecular pieces of data.

From what she could ascertain, those gems could only be fueled by the Princesses or at the bare minimum the entire Scholar Arcana at the cost of a months recuperation by the unicorn mages currently staffed and enrolled currently. Thus it served to only fuel her curiosity as to what lay within the infamous confidential section, what was so dangerous to go so far in protecting and hiding knowledge of the sorts? Were they on par with King Sombra's study deep beneath the Empire, every dark spell or misguided crafting which could harm a pony or sink a town? Only rumors existed and they were scant at best to hear of, but she surmised it was only for the good of the archive to remain mysterious. Visages of Sunset and the Rainbooms appeared for a flicker of a moment, bringing Twilight's raging hunger for forbidden texts and manuscripts under control even though the doors hadn't even opened yet.

“Because of that decision, I’ve come to know almost everpony at the Arcana campus that come seeking things such as what you desire. From Headmaster Nova Star, to the faculty, and even the gifted students who are permitted in here for their thesis in counter spells to fell forces that lurk in obscurity. They also seek my tutelage for studies of the unknown that pop up from time to time around Equestria. You’d be surprised how often an old artifact turns up in a village these days buried under dirt or sands, even the archeologists find dangerous trinkets in the forbidden jungle where ancient pre-equestria temples stand.” Luna lifted her head up high as two thestrals in thick armor manifested beside her fully armored to the teeth and plating.

“Your majesty! You’ve need of us?” The female bat winged pony spoke as she saluted to Luna’s left.

“We received and we are prepared to serve.” A deep male voice from the bowing thestral on her right almost gave Twilight a rather strange shiver up her spine as she observed the Night Guard imposing in their regalia.

“Commanders Steel Vigil and Stellar Aileron, it is good to see you again. I’m afraid I must pry you away from your duties for a few weeks at best. We have a potential issue that needs to be looked into and there is a third party involved most likely. While we are sure that the interlopers are nothing more than opportunistic parasites lurking at the time. There is sufficient worry that may not be the case. I need you to stand guard for me as you two have overseen the operations against the Agents of the Shadows, you’ll know more than anyone else if we’re at risk.” Luna had turned to address her military officers with a grave look upon her ethereal mask.

“We are at your call your majesty.” Steel bowed again, his eyes held history in their sharpness and attention.

“My subordinates will handle the paperwork while I’m gone, worry not Princess Luna.” Aileron bowed as well, armor scraping lightly against itself with each movement.

Much to Twilights surprise, she never saw the thestral Night Guards often other than when Luna visited Ponyville. The officers before her were far beyond the ones who carried Luna’s mount she had seen during Nightmare Night. In a rather turn of surprises, she realized she was in the presence of a female thestral and one who wore the marks of battle. While both had the signs of combat along the exposed parts of their bodies, their armor had evidence of spell burns and repairs by well accomplished smiths. Steel Vigil wore more scars along his muzzle and ears, compliments to his statuesque face like that of the marble busts in the Royal Gardens. His chest armor and side guards were polished and carefully maintained to be in presentable condition though their battle wounds were kept for some reason. To the keen eye there were warped areas that offensive magic and bladed weapons were left as battle trophies, the kind which meant trouble brewed throughout the kingdom unbeknownst to Twilight. Whether the thestrals were the tribe of ponies who valued such things as a sign of their competence in war was lost to Twilight until she could get him into an interview at a later day. His golden eyes soon found hers and locked with unfeeling hardness that soon softened with his own bow to her.

“Princess Twilight, it is a good night tonight to undermine Equestria’s enemies who seek its harm.” Steel rose as he faced her in the manner befitting of her status.

She meekly grinned, having been caught in the act of studying him. Nodding with a nervous grin before looking to Stellar next by anxious reflex, the female thestral had already gone into a bowing posture well before she gazed upon her. Both male and female armor sets were similar in most facets of their design which was to be expected as how the Royal Guard exhibited. With minor deviations in the plating and shields that granted either pockets for provisions to protection and warding gems. While Vigil seemed to be the brawler type in a fight, Stellar wore her scars in her wings and upon the belly plates.

Thinking for mere seconds, Twilight could tell the bat winged pony used hit and run tactics or to the very least was as instantaneous as Rainbow Dash when push came to shove. With less body mass for melee, she might be the Rainbow Dash of her people where capability matched the magical nature of the Sonic Rainboom. The old wounds in the membrane between the phalanges varied in size, perhaps caused by arrows or lances she could only fathom the likes of the Daring Doo series. Every gouge and melted spot were barely touched up to make them combat reliable, evidently Aileron came across magic casters as her opponents more so than Steel.

“My grace, we will provide Overwatch for you while you work. None shall interfere nor eavesdrop.” Stellar rose up as the leathery appendages adjusted themselves subconsiously.

Sparkle noted the contrasting hue of the thestrals fur, sexual dimorphism it seemed unlike normal ponies which lead to a thought of how the tribe might fit into the pony ancestry tree. Mares had darker tones than the males and if she went by anything then these ponies were not as colorful as the original three tribes. That line of thought went into even more questions which sent her into a stupefied gaze, were they possibly bred to fight and use nature to hide in ambush?

“Please do as you see fit my sentinels. Code Black has been authorized by me if anypony tries to enter. If you’ll excuse the young princess here, she can be very inquisitive.” Luna used her wing to shake Sparkle's attention away from the thestrals, “I’m sure you may find a request for questionnaire by the very mare for educational purposes later on. Now, if we're ready thine journey to seek salvation across the dimensional plane shall let us open the archives.”

As Twilight stepped away with the utmost embarrassment written all over her, she soon caught on to the activation which permitted entrance. Luna and her Guard assumed position a foot from the gate, starring at the numerous pieces of metal and gems they began to breath in unison with deep breaths. After a third such reptition, their exhale took the form of Luna’s magical aura that rose above the trio to merge with the door as a wisp of smoke sucked into a vent. Every gem proceeded to lose their glow and release their stored magic into Luna’s horn through a beam from every rock. Loud clanks of the locking mechanism banged until the sixth one allowed the door to crack open with the release of differing air pressure.

Before Twilight knew it, the commanders were already at a protective stance scanning the library for trouble. This night has turned into one to remember and the books hadn’t even been seen yet.

PreviousChapters Next