• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,414 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,414

The Last Roundup

Rainbow Dash wasn't usually the type of pony to clean messes up. More often than not, she preferred the making of messes to the fixing of them. That was on a small scale, though. Minor crashes made minor messes, but when there were major damages to fix, she didn't mind lending a hoof when and where she could–as long as it didn't interfere with training or naptime. So when she heard that the town hall needed some sprucing up, she was happy to do what she could to help. Her partner, however, was proving to be a bit more of a detriment than an aid.

Muffins was a wonderful pony. Rainbow and the others valued her friendship dearly, but she had a great tendency to be clumsy. Her clumsiness was so prevalent that she had earned the affectionate nickname of "Derpy" from her pegasus friends. Today was no different for her, as she'd nearly caused more damage to town hall then she'd helped to fix.

"Huh?" Rainbow exclaimed as she narrowly avoided a sudden lightning bolt. "Now, careful, Derpy!" She zoomed over to her friend, who was bouncing on a nearby cloud as if she didn't have a care in the world. As much as Rainbow liked her, she couldn't deny that Derpy needed to focus just a bit more.

"Don't want to do any more damage than you've already done," Rainbow said, motioning to the town hall as a piece of the roof collapsed.

"I just don't know what went wrong!" Derpy responded, continuing to bounce until she received a shock from the cloud.

"Yeah," Rainbow said with a roll of the eyes. "It's a mystery."

Meanwhile, two ponies watched the goings-on from the ground. One, a unicorn mare named Tamino, was looking on with particular disdain. The other, an earth pony stallion named Strawman, didn't seem to share that sentiment.

"That's unbelievable," Tamino said, frowning in the direction of the pegasi.

"What's unbelievable?" Strawman asked.

"The way Rainbow Dash is making fun of poor Muffins!" Tamino answered. "Just listen to the name she's calling her! 'Derpy?' That's horribly offensive! The derogatory meanings behind that nickname are terrible, and I've never been more offended in my whole life! Somepony should stop her!" Strawman opened his mouth to respond, but was interrupted by the arrival of a third pony.

"Why should she be stopped?" Sugarcoat asked.

"Because it's offensive!" Tamino insisted.

"I don't think it's offensive," Sugarcoat replied simply.

"Well I do!" Tamino shot back.

"That's your problem then," Sugarcoat told her. "Just because you find something offensive doesn't mean everypony does."

"Well everypony should!" Tamino shouted. "Rainbow Dash is calling her hurtful names!"

Sugarcoat rolled her eyes and looked up towards the pegasi. Judging by the large smile on Muffins's face as she cheered Rainbow on, she couldn't be happier.

"Does that look like the face of somepony whose feelings are being hurt?" Sugarcoat asked. Tamino looked up as well, frowning a bit as she observed the pegasus's grin.

"Well...she probably doesn't realize how hurtful Rainbow Dash is being!" Tamino insisted. "Because..."

"Because what?" Sugarcoat asked. "Do you think there's some reason that she wouldn't be able to understand things as well as you think you're capable of?"

"W-well..." Tamino stammered. "It's...because she's..."

"Ohh," Sugarcoat said. "I see now. You think there's something wrong with her, so you're projecting that image onto her, judging others for how they react to your idea of her, and getting offended over it. So in essence, the only pony that's truly being offensive in this situation is you."

Tamino coughed and sputtered as her arguments were handily shut down. She tried desperately to come up with a comeback, but found nothing.

"Hah! Way to show her!" Strawman said, laughing heartily. "That would have been horrible if we couldn't call her Derpy! It would have been the worst thing in the world!"

"Why?" Sugarcoat asked, now turning her attention to the stallion.

"Because it just would have been!" Strawman replied. "I like that name for her, and if that name had to be changed, I don't think I'd be able to watch her or the rest of the town hall fixing team the same way ever again!"

"That's stupid," Sugarcoat said. "No matter what name you call her, she's still the same pony, and the team she's on is still the same team. If you stopped watching something you enjoy just because a name had to be changed, then you're just as dumb as this mare here."

Now it was Strawman's turn to be at a loss for words. He shook his head out, looking quite upset.

"But...I thought you were on my side!" Strawman whined.

"Nope," Sugarcoat replied. "I'm on the side of calling ponies out for being stupid, and that's why I'm glad I found you two." She then left without another word, leaving the two ponies stunned.