• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,414 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,414

Boast Busters

Twilight Sparkle watched as Rarity, absolutely grief-stricken at her sudden mane-related disaster, ran off in hysterics. She couldn't believe that the unicorn bragging on stage had done such an awful thing to her friend. Granted, Rarity was probably exaggerating just a bit, but that didn't change how utterly rude it was for Trixie to do what she had done. Not only that, but she'd embarrassed and harmed both Applejack and Rainbow Dash as well. She'd never encountered a pony so braggadocios before. Well, except for Rainbow Dash. But it was somewhat endearing coming from her. With this Trixie pony, it was nearly unbearable.

"Well Twilight, guess it's up to you," Spike said. "Come on, show her what you're made of." He had been complaining the entire time about Trixie's bragging, and if it weren't for the fact that three of her other friends had gone up on stage in an attempt to stop Trixie, she might have thought that he was the most bothered of all by it. As much as Spike wanted her to go up, though, she simply couldn't. Her friends' words from earlier rang in her head; showing off one's talent as Trixie had been was unbecoming and reprehensible, and she just couldn't change her friends' opinion of her.

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked timidly, her eyes darting around to the ponies who were now staring at her. "I'm nothing special."

"Except for being Princess Celestia's prized student," Sugarcoat said, her head popping out of the crowd. "You know, that thing you can only be if you're really good at magic." All eyes now turned to Twilight, whose cheeks had turned pink enough to nearly mistake them as transplants from Pinkie Pie.

"Excuse me?" Trixie spoke from the stage. "Did you say that she's Princess Celestia's..."

"Shut up for once in your life," Sugarcoat said, waving a hoof dismissively in her direction. Then she focused back on Twilight. "You're about as good at magic as you are bad at friendship, and that's saying something."

"So...you think I should go up there?" Twilight asked. "And risk losing my friends because I'm showing off?"

"Oh, you mean the friends who already all went up there and tried to show off?" Sugarcoat asked.

"Um...Pinkie and I didn't go up there..." Fluttershy pointed out.

"The others did," Sugarcoat said, practically ignoring Fluttershy. "You realize you're totally interrupting a stage magician whose entire act is based around showing off, right? You should really get a clue."

"Yeah, but..." Rainbow stammered.

"But nothing," Sugarcoat said plainly. "Just let the pony do her act and leave."

"Thank you!" Trixie said from her position on stage. "Thank you for finally pointing that out!"

"Still talking," Sugarcoat said. She looked back to Twilight. "Friends don't stop being friends just because one of them is good at something. Why do I have to tell you these things? Aren't you supposed to be smart?"

Twilight, for what felt like the fifth time since she'd known Sugarcoat, stared at her in awe, wondering how she'd made the problem's solution seem so simple.

"...Wow," Twilight responded. "You're right. You're absolutely right."

"Duh," Sugarcoat said. "Now can you let the mare finish her show?"

"Yes!" Trixie bellowed. "The Great and Powerful Trixie must continue!"

"Your bragging's still really annoying," Sugarcoat told her. "Them making mistakes doesn't change that."

"I know!" Trixie responded with a flourish.

"Just making sure," Sugarcoat said as she sat down to watch the rest of the show.