• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,413 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,413

Hearth's Warming Eve

For what had to be the umpteenth time, the sounds of arguing filled the banquet hall. This was no surprise to anypony involved; with such diverse ponies who held such opposing opinions, arguments were bound to happen. The leaders of the three pony tribes had been bickering back and forth for a while now, and had made no progress at all in their deliberations.

"All I wanna know," demanded Commander Hurricane, ruler of the pegasi. "Is why the Earth ponies are hogging all the food!" The pegasi accompanying her shouted in agreement.

"Us?!" shouted Chancellor Puddinghead, the leader of the earth ponies. "We're not hogging all the food, you are!" She hesitated a moment before continuing. "Oh, wait. You're right. It's us. Well, it's only 'cause you mean old Pegasusususes are making it snow like crazy!"

"For the hundredth time, it's not us!" Hurricane insisted. "We're not making it snow! It must be the unicorns! They're doing it with their freaky magic!"

"How dare you!" shouted Princess Platinum, daughter of the unicorn king. "Unlike you Pegasi ruffians, we unicorns would never stoop to such a thing! Hmph!" This was accompanied by a loud echoed "hmph" from the unicorns in attendance.

"Well, if you non-Earths aren't gonna stop using your weirdo powers to freeze us all, then I'm just plum out of ideas," Puddinghead stated.

"What a shocker," Hurricane scoffed. "An Earth pony with no ideas."

"Commander Hurricane, please cease with the insults!" Platinum demanded.

"You're not the boss of me, your royal snootiness!" Hurricane shot back.

"I beg your pardon?" Platinum exclaimed. "I am a princess! I won't be spoken to that way!"

The room devolved into shouting once more, but said shouting suddenly came to a halt when a new unicorn entered the room.

"I am Sage Sugarcoat," the new arrival said. "And I am here to tell you that you're all acting like idiots!"

The three tribe leaders gasped at the Sage's declaration. Who did this pony think she was, coming in here and speaking to them like this?

"Who do you think you are, coming in here and speaking to us like this?" Platinum insisted.

"I'm a voice of reason," Sugarcoat stated. "Something you're sorely missing in here. You know you're all ponies, right?"

"Uh, duh," Hurricane said. "Pretty sure we all have that down."

"I've been a pony as long as I can remember!" Puddinghead chimed in. Sugarcoat gave her a look, then continued.

"Yeah right," Sugarcoat said. "If you had it all down, then you'd stop arguing over petty nonsense and get along like ponies should."

"But this isn't petty nonsense!" Platinum said. "It's very cold and nopony is taking responsibility for it, and the earth ponies will not share their food appropriately unless it's fixed!" She glared across the table at Hurricane. "And if the pegasi would admit that they're doing this..."

"We're not doing this!" Hurricane shouted. "It's your unicorns!"

"Is not!" Platinum shot back.

"I can yell too!" Puddinghead yelled.

"All of you, shut up!" Sugarcoat bellowed. "You're all acting like idiots, and if any of you would have paid attention to the world around you instead of trying to figure out how to undermine the other tribes, then maybe you would have noticed that it gets colder the more you argue! Have you even heard of windigos?"

The three tribe leaders fell silent, now staring at Sugarcoat. Not a single one seemed to know what she was talking about.

"Ugh," Sugarcoat groaned. "Windigos are winter spirits that feed off fighting and hatred. The more hate the spirit feels, the colder things become! So the more you yell and scream at each other and accuse each other of awful things that they didn't do, the more you doom yourselves and everypony around you! If you're really looking forward to being icicles, then keep doing what you're doing, but personally, I prefer a body temperature higher than absolute zero."

Silence filled the banquet hall. The silence persisted for a good ten seconds before Princess Platinum finally spoke up.

"You are absolutely right, Sage Sugarcoat," Platinum said. "We have all been ridiculous. I would like to apologize to both of you for my words."

"Yeah, me too," Hurricane said. "It was really uncool."

"Me three!" Puddinghead added in. "We're all ponies!"

"And for solving our problem," Platinum said, walking over to Sugarcoat and placing her crown on her head, "You are the new princess of the unicorns!"


"Uhh...Sugarcoat?" Twilight Sparkle said as she and the others looked over the script. "I...uh...well...we appreciate your efforts, but I don't think we can present this version of the play. It's not exactly historically accurate."

"Maybe not," Sugarcoat replied. "But it's better this way. I can't help it if your country's founders were argumentative buffoons."

"Right..." Twilight responded with a small sigh. "Anyway, we're off to Canterlot for the play. Are you coming?"

"No," Sugarcoat said with a frown. "Have fun putting on your silly play." Twilight sighed softly as she stepped onto the train.

"Happy Hearth's Warming, Sugarcoat," Twilight said before the door closed. The train soon took off, but Sugarcoat had already turned her back to it.

~~~~~~~~~~

Sugarcoat sighed softly as she sat on the park bench. This was the first time that she was spending a holiday away from her family, and it wasn't sitting well with her. She had been getting more and more comfortable with being in this strange new world, but that didn't mean that she never missed her home. Discord had done a painfully fantastic job of reminding her of what she was missing a while back, and now all the holiday things around her weren't helping, nor was the fact that her stubbornness had prevented her from spending time with the closest things she had to friends in this world.

"Hey."

Sugarcoat looked up, surprised at the sudden other voice. She was even more surprised to see the large red frame of Big Macintosh standing before her.

"Look kinda lonely," Mac said. "How come ya ain't in Canterlot with yer friends?"

"They're not my friends," Sugarcoat said, looking away. Big Mac rolled his eyes a bit.

"Eeyup," he responded, though he didn't seem like he really believed her. "You got anypony to spend the holiday with?"

"No," Sugarcoat said bitterly.

"Well that won't do," Mac responded. "C'mon. Got plenty to eat down at the farm."

Sugarcoat looked back to Big Mac, a bit taken aback by his offer. She opened her mouth slightly, but no words came out just yet. It only took about two moments for a sarcastic reply to hit her, but it only took one moment for Mac to speak first.

"C'mon now," Mac repeated, reaching forward and taking Sugarcoat's hoof. "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth now. It's the holidays."

Sugarcoat slowly rose to her hooves, looking at the unshorn fetlocks on the hoof that was holding hers. She nodded silently, for once finding herself at a loss for words.