• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,407 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,407

Putting Your Hoof Down

Author's Note:

Today's chapter is a guest chapter, brought to you by MythrilMoth! There's a fair chance you know who he is already, but if not, go give him a follow!

I'm not looking to make a regular habit of doing guest chapters, but it might happen every so often. Enjoy!

Pinkie Pie and Rarity watched Fluttershy get pushed around in the marketplace with increasing worry, then decided to step in and help their friend.

"Fluttershy," Rarity said after a succession of rude ponies cut in line ahead of Fluttershy at the asparagus stand, "you mustn't let them treat you that way."

"Oh, it's...it's really no big deal," Fluttershy said meekly.

"It's bigger than big!" Pinkie exclaimed. "It's double big! You are a pony with a problem."

"What problem?" Fluttershy asked. Pinkie Pie and Rarity exchanged a glance; Pinkie turned Fluttershy to face the asparagus stand, then pushed ahead of her in line with enough force to send Fluttershy spinning to the ground. "Oh...go right ahead, Pinkie Pie. You first."

"Right there! That's the problem," Pinkie said, leaning down and poking Fluttershy in the forehead for emphasis.

"You've got to stop being such a doormat," Rarity added.

"A doormat?" Fluttershy asked, drawing back in disbelief.

"Yes, a doormat," Sugarcoat said as she left one of the other vegetable stalls. A black marker pen floated out of Sugarcoat's saddlebag. She uncapped it and wrote 'WELCOME' on Fluttershy's forehead.

"Err...yes...I believe that's pushing the metaphor a bit far," Rarity said.

Pinkie started giggling. "It's...I shouldn't be laughing because that was really mean, but...heehee..."

Fluttershy crossed her eyes, trying to look up at the graffiti. Her ears drooped. "That bad, huh?"

"You just let me write 'welcome' on your face," Sugarcoat said. "You tell me."

"Oh..." Fluttershy looked down, rubbing the back of one hoof with the other.

While they were talking, Gizmo bought the last asparagus. They all watched him trot away. "Watch and learn," Rarity said.

Sugarcoat, Fluttershy, and Pinkie watched Rarity charm Gizmo out of the asparagus. Then, they walked over to the tomato stand, where Pinkie used her Pinkieness to cartoonishly con Roma into selling two bits' worth of tomatoes for a single bit. All the while, Sugarcoat watched with an amused smirk. While there were certainly things she wanted to say about their methods, for once it was just too much fun watching them to interfere.

Then Fluttershy tried to use what her friends had shown her on Crafty Crate at the cherry stand. Sugarcoat's smirk faded into a thin frown as, between Fluttershy's admission of desperation, Crafty Crate's attempt to take advantage of her, and Fluttershy's utter failure to be Rarity or Pinkie Pie, she somehow managed to drive the price for a single cherry up to twenty bits.

Finally, Sugarcoat couldn't take any more. She stepped up to the cherry stand. "I'll give you two bits for the cherry."

"Sold!" Crafty Crate said, eagerly scooping up the two coins Sugarcoat floated out of her saddlebags. Sugarcoat picked up the cherry in her magic, then hovered it over to Fluttershy. "Tough break, kid," Crafty Crate said to Fluttershy. "Next time, don't be such a doormat."

"Here, I'll sell it to you for two bits."

Fluttershy blinked. "Oh. Umm...okay. Thank you!" She fished two bits out of her bag and exchanged them for the cherry.

"HEY!" Crafty Crate shouted. "You can't do that!"

Sugarcoat turned and gave him a stern glare. "I just bought this cherry from you fairly and legally," she said. "It's my cherry now, and I can do whatever I want with it, including sell it to another pony for the same price I paid. And just for your information, everypony who watched you try to scam Fluttershy today is going to talk about what a terrible pony you are. Good luck making a profit in Ponyville ever again." She then turned to Fluttershy. "And you. Seriously. You need to stop being such a doormat." With that, she walked over to a stand selling oranges, bought three, and headed off.

* * * * *

The next day, Sugarcoat happened upon a bizarre scene. For whatever reason, Cherry Berry and Bon Bon were blocking the creek bridge with two huge wagons full of garbage while they stood around chatting. Behind them, Fluttershy looked like she was about to blow a fuse.

"A-hem," Fluttershy said. "Can you move? You're blocking my path."

"Yeah yeah, in a minute!" Cherry Berry snapped. Turning back to Bon Bon, she said, "So the donkey says to the mule..."

"When somepony tries to block, show them that you rock!" Fluttershy growled, bracing herself to buck the garbage carts.

"You could just fly over them," Sugarcoat said.

Fluttershy wheeled angrily on her. "What did you say?" she snarled.

Sugarcoat remained unimpressed by her ire. "You're a pegasus. You have wings. You're not pulling a wagon. They're not blocking your path at all. Just fly over them."

Fluttershy blinked, then calmed down. "Oh. Right." Shaking her head, she took wing and flew over the two mares yammering on the bridge.

Sugarcoat walked up behind the two carts and cleared her throat. "Excuse me," she said. "You're blocking the bridge. Other ponies can't get around you. You should really get your carts off the bridge and move someplace out of the way if you want to keep chatting."

"Gosh, what is WITH all these rude ponies today?" Cherry Berry complained.

"You're the one being rude," Sugarcoat said. "Take a look around you. Think about how you'd feel if you were trying to get across this bridge and two ponies with huge garbage carts were just standing on the bridge talking and blocking the path."

"Umm...she's kinda got a point," Bon Bon said. "Sorry." With that, the two mares hauled their carts off the bridge and over to the side to continue their conversation, and Sugarcoat crossed the bridge.

* * * * *

By the following morning, Sugarcoat had heard of Fluttershy's bizarre rage-fueled rampages around Ponyville. She ran into Rarity and Pinkie Pie in the town square. "Oh, good morning, Sugarcoat!" Rarity said. "Would you please come with us to try to talk some sense into Fluttershy?"

"Yeah, she's kinda let this whole assertiveness thing get the best of her," Pinkie said. "We think she might have gone overboard."

Sugarcoat frowned thoughtfully. "Normally, I don't really care what you and your friends get up to," she said. "On the other hoof, I probably helped cause this problem, so..."

When the trio arrived at the edge of Ponyville, they witnessed Fluttershy assaulting an innocent tourist. They exchanged glances, then confronted her about it. Unfortunately, Fluttershy was less than willing to listen to reason, and delivered a scorching rant which reduced Pinkie Pie and Rarity to tears.

"And YOU!" Fluttershy shouted, rounding on Sugarcoat as Pinkie and Rarity ran away crying. "All you ever do is follow other ponies around criticizing them! Do you even have a life? You're always saying we're not your friends, so why don't you butt out of our lives and live your own for once!"

Sugarcoat stared up at her. Her composure held...for almost thirty seconds.

"You're right," she said. "I don't belong here. I'm just...I'm just trying to cope the only way I know how." She frowned. "And yes, I criticize ponies, but in case you haven't noticed, ponies do stupid things and somepony needs to point it out to them." She narrowed her eyes. "Kind of like how you're doing something stupid right now, acting this way to your friends. You just ran two of your best friends off in tears. Is that really who you want to be?"

Fluttershy blinked, then glanced back the way her friends had run. "I...I..."

"You can be assertive without being a bullying jerk," Sugarcoat said. "Just tone it down a bit."

Fluttershy sighed. "I...I should just go home and—"

"No," Sugarcoat said. "You should go apologize to your friends. And that tourist you just attacked, if you can find him."

Fluttershy nodded. "You're right." She sagged in midair. "Will you go with me?"

"No," Sugarcoat said. "I have my own things to do today." She trotted off into Ponyville alone.

Nopony noticed the few tears that trickled down her cheeks.

* * * * *

As Iron Will and his goats were leaving Ponyville, they encountered Sugarcoat standing in the middle of the road, a deep frown on her face.

Iron Will snorted and flexed his pecs. "Do you have something you wanna say to Iron Will?" he rumbled.

"Actually, I do," Sugarcoat said. "You're full of bull—"