• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,407 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,407

Read It and Weep

Ten minutes.

In the grand scheme of things, ten minutes wasn't very long at all. Many things could be accomplished in ten minutes. A small lunch could be made and eaten. Rainbow Dash could clear the sky of clouds roughly 60 times, give or take a few seconds. Twilight Sparkle could finish about one third of a typical speech.

These ten minutes, though, we're not one's typical ten minutes. These were the most insane, unbelievable ten minutes Rainbow had ever experienced, and the reasons for such a designation were twofold.

On one hoof, she had just spent said ten minutes reading what might have been the most excitingly amazing book in the entire world.

On the other, she had just spent said ten minutes reading. A book.

Rainbow couldn't believe that she'd succumbed to such a terrible temptation. Or rather, most of her couldn't. A small part of her wasn't surprised in the least. Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone was the most exciting book she'd ever heard of. It was filled with action and adventure, headed by a super-cool hero who Rainbow could totally relate to. Daring Do was fearless, athletic, and even suffered from a wing injury just like the one that was keeping Rainbow grounded and in the hospital. But she didn't let that stop her from traversing the jungle, running from vicious jungle cats, and swinging over a ravine on a vine. Nothing would get in Daring's way as she went to retrieve the Sapphire Stone, and Rainbow surmised that Daring was nearly as cool as she was. Just like Twilight had said, she was adventurous, fierce, and undeniably, unquestionably unstoppable.

"I hate to admit it to myself," Rainbow mused as she set the book down. "And would really hate to admit it to my friends, but...I love this story!" She took it a step further. "I, I... I love reading!"

Then, in the manner of a scant few seconds, her entire world came crashing down.

"I'm an egghead."

Rainbow felt her heart sink. She was way too awesome to be an egghead...but the proof was right there. She'd just admitted it, plain as day. She loved reading. If there was one thing that defined an egghead, it was a love for reading, and she had just literally used those very words. Her fate was sealed. Rainbow sighed a heavy sigh as she thought about all the athletic endeavors she'd have to abandon, all the trophies she'd have to trash, all the health food she'd have to throw out. Eggheads didn't compete in physical competitions and keep in top condition. They stayed at home, read books, and got themselves a small, yet cute paunch to their bellies like Twilight had. Such was the life of an egghead, the life she'd have to get used to.

"Are you kidding me?"

Rainbow sat up, not having expected another visitor. She rolled her eyes slightly as she watched Sugarcoat walk into the room. She hadn't wanted anypony to see her reading a book, but she had been caught by surprise and had no time to hide it. Besides, based on what Sugarcoat had said, she'd clearly heard her. She groaned and let it be.

"Hey Sugarcoat," Rainbow said. "And no, I'm not kidding. I read a book and I liked it. I'm an egghead."

"You think you're an egghead just because you liked a book?" Sugarcoat asked, rolling her eyes. "Thinking that actually proves that you're too dumb to be an egghead."

"You know, part of me actually takes that as a compliment," Rainbow said, crossing her forelegs. "But there's no two ways around it. I'm an egghead now."

"Who invented the hot air balloon?" Sugarcoat asked.

"What?" Rainbow asked, caught offguard. "Uhh...I have no idea."

"What's 254 times 119?" Sugarcoat asked.

"I don't know!" Rainbow shouted. "What am I, a calculator?"

"You're not an egghead," Sugarcoat said simply. "An egghead would have gotten those answers immediately."

"W-well..." Rainbow stammered. "...But I like reading!"

"Okay," Sugarcoat said with a roll of her eyes. "So I guess Twilight's an athlete, huh?"

"What?" Rainbow said, tilting her head. "No way! Twilight's no athlete."

"But she ran with you in the Running of the Leaves and liked it," Sugarcoat stated.

"So?" Rainbow shouted. "Just because she did one athletic thing doesn't mean she's a..."

Rainbow stopped in her tracks. She looked to Sugarcoat, slack-jawed, and Sugarcoat gave her a pointed look.

"So you're not an egghead," Sugarcoat said. "Read as much as you like. You're still just as much a dummy as you want yourself to be." Rainbow sighed a slightly annoyed sigh, but as much as she disliked the insult, she was glad to be given solace that she could continue enjoying this book without being designated as an egghead.

"Gee, thanks," Rainbow said. She picked the book up and focused her attention back on it, when she suddenly felt something land by her hind hooves. She set the book down again to look, and was surprised to see a small box of chocolates.

"Where did these come from?" Rainbow asked. She picked the box up, inspecting it. The words "Get Well Soon" were written on the top in glitter. She looked to Sugarcoat in surprise. "Did you give this to me? I thought we weren't friends."

"Just because you're not my friend doesn't mean I'm heartless," Sugarcoat said. "Thanks for assuming that though." Then she turned around and left without another word.