• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,407 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,407

Sisterhooves Social

Rarity couldn't believe her luck.

Usually when ponies couldn't believe their luck, it was due to said luck being incredibly good. Unfortunately for Rarity, this time was the exact opposite. She had so much planned for this week, so many things that needed to be done and so many things that didn't need to be done but would have been nice to accomplish anyway. All of that had come crashing down when her parents informed her that their vacation, which she had believed to still be some time off, was in fact starting that very day. As such, Sweetie Belle would be staying with her for the week.

Rarity loved her sister dearly, but there were occasions where she liked her slightly less that usual. Having to work some quality sister time into her busy schedule was irksome, but she could work around it. What she couldn't work around was the way that Sweetie seemed to be incapable of staying out of her way. Sweetie always wanted to help her with whatever she was doing, and she kept finding new and inventive ways to mess everything up. If Rarity wasn't so frustrated at her well-laid plans being dashed left and right, she likely would have been impressed at how creative Sweetie was in her destruction. As it stood, though, it was more a nuisance then anything.

Rarity grumbled softly to herself as she trotted towards home, her new bag of baby blue sapphires safely in her saddlebags. She'd already had a nice bunch at home, but apparently Sweetie had decided that they were better suited for a silly little picture instead of the dress she was making for her client.

"What's your problem?"

Rarity glanced sideways at Sugarcoat. She wasn't sure where she had come from, but she'd learned a while ago that Sugarcoat had a way of showing up unexpectedly. She had already gotten used to that with Pinkie Pie. One more couldn't hurt.

"Oh, just sister issues," Rarity said, rolling her eyes. "I swear, that Sweetie Belle will be the death of me one day."

"I'm sure you're overreacting," Sugarcoat replied. "Like usual."

"Oh, shush," Rarity said. "And I am not."

"Okay, so what is it she's doing that's apparently so terrible?" Sugarcoat asked.

"Everything!" Rarity told her. "She ruined the meal I was making for the two of us. She washed my one-of-a-kind crocheted sweater and made it shrink. And to top it all off, she used the gems I needed for a client to make a picture! She is my sister and I love her, but she's been underhoof so much today I'd swear she's auditioning for a role as a slipper." Rarity glanced again at Sugarcoat and was disappointed at the lack of even a smile. She thought that line was quite clever.

"You call that a problem?" Sugarcoat asked. Rarity stared at her like she had three heads.

"Of course!" Rarity replied. "She keeps interfering in my work!"

"I don't see the problem in your sister loving you and wanting to hang around you," Sugarcoat told her.

"What?" Rarity said. "Of course that's not the problem. I love her too. It's just..."

"Let me guess," Sugarcoat said with a frown. "You got upset with her when she messed your things up."

"Well, yes, a bit," Rarity admitted. "I held my tongue as best I could but–"

"Wow," Sugarcoat interrupted. "So your little sister who looks up to and idolizes you tried her best to help you with the things you had to do and you got mad at her because she didn't do them perfectly?"

"It...sounds rather bad when you put it that way," Rarity said sheepishly.

"You think?" Sugarcoat snapped.

"W-well..." Rarity said quietly, before regaining her confidence. "It's nice that she wants to help, but she should realize that if she's constantly messing up when she tries to help, then she would be more helpful by staying out of the way." Sugarcoat groaned, clearly not swayed by Rarity's words.

"What was your relationship with your parents like?" Sugarcoat asked. The question caught Rarity off-guard, but she shook it off.

"I have a wonderful relationship with them," Rarity answered.

"Okay," Sugarcoat said. "So are you trying to tell me that you never had a time when you were young where you wanted to be around your parents but ended up messing something up because of it?"

Rarity was quiet for a few moments, her face changing from contemplative to wistful.

"Once when I was a filly, my father was watching a hoofball game," Rarity said softly. "I adored my father and wanted very badly to show him the new steps I had learned in dance class. I jumped in front of the television to show him, but in my haste I made him miss some manner of monumental once-in-a-lifetime play."

"Mhm," Sugarcoat said. "Did he get upset?"

"Goodness, yes," Rarity answered.

"Didn't feel good, huh?" Sugarcoat asked. "You just wanted to spend time around him and that's the reply you got."

Rarity sighed softly, the dots beginning to connect. She let out a little sniffle.

"Oh, Sweetie Belle!" Rarity cried, diving straight into theatrics. "My one and only sister! What have I done? All the time I could have spent with you was wasted complaining and–"

"Shut up and go apologize to her," Sugarcoat interrupted. "Your overreactions are really annoying."

"I shall!" Rarity declared, seemingly ignoring the insult. "Sweetie Belle! Your big sister is coming!" With that, she dashed into the boutique.

"Sweetie Belle!" Rarity called as she walked in. "I'm back!" She looked about the place for her sister, then remembered that she asked her to clean. Hearing sounds from the direction of her inspiration room, she went to inspect. "Sweetie Belle?"

"Surprise!" Sweetie shouted, smiling a big, proud smile. Behind her was a sight that Rarity thought she'd never see: a completely clean inspiration room.

"My...ee...bleh..." Rarity stammered, before finding words again. "My inspiration room! What did you do? What did you do?!"

"When I saw the big mess in your room, I thought I'd clean it up for you," Sweetie replied. She was still feeling quite proud, but her sister's reaction was a bit confusing.

"This wasn't a mess!" Rarity insisted. "It was organized chaos! I was just about finished planning my new fashion line, and, and you, you, you went and, and you...and you put everything away!"

"But every time I make a mess, you get upset!" Sweetie cried.

"But this was my mess in my house!" Rarity said. "And now I have to start from scratch!"

"But I thought it would make you happy!" Sweetie moaned, utterly baffled by the situation.

"Happy?" Rarity asked. "Happy?! I..."

Then she took a breath, remembering Sugarcoat's words. She looked down to Sweetie, seeing herself in the little filly who just wanted to spend time with the family she looked up to. She took another breath to center herself, then sat down in place.

"Sweetie Belle," Rarity said calmly. "I know you want to help, and I very much appreciate it. I'm dreadfully sorry for yelling, but you must understand that if you do things to help without asking first, you might end up altering something that needs to not be altered."

"I-I'm sorry, Rarity..." Sweetie said softly. "Y-you're not mad at me, are you?"

"Of course not," Rarity said, reaching out to hug her sister. "I'm a little upset, but I can never stay mad at my wonderful little sister." Sweetie breathed a sigh of relief and hugged back, giving Rarity's cheek a nuzzle.

"Thanks, Rarity," Sweetie said. "I'm sorry I messed your inspiration room up...by, um, un-messing it up."

"It's fine, Sweetie Belle," Rarity said with a smile. "Because you know what you get to help me do now?"

"What?" Sweetie asked, eyes full of wonder.

"You get to help me mess it up again," Rarity said, grinning as she opened a drawer and dumped its contents. Sweetie gasped, then beamed.

"I'm good at messing things up!" Sweetie shouted. She took this opportunity to kick a stack of fabric, knocking it over.

"You certainly are," Rarity said with a wink. She didn't bother telling Sweetie that she wanted that particular stack to stay stacked. She'd fix it later.