• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,391 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,391

Dragonshy

"What in the name of all things cinnamon swirled is a full-grown dragon doing here in Equestria?"

Applejack raised a very good question there, albeit with a countryism that Twilight Sparkle likely wouldn't have used, seeing as swirls of cinnamon didn't really pertain to the situation at hoof. Dragons had their own land outside of Equestria to inhabit. Having one hanging out within Equestrian borders was almost entirely unheard of.

"Sleeping," Twilight responded. She wished she had a better answer for Applejack, but the answer she was given was the only answer she had.

"Huh?" the girls asked, in what Twilight thought was a rather impressive display of synchronicity. She kind of wished she'd gotten in on that.

"According to Princess Celestia, he's taking a nap," Twilight told her friends. "His snoring is what's causing all this smoke."

"He should really see a doctor," Pinkie Pie said, a worried look in her baby blue eyes. "That doesn't sound healthy at all." Twilight wanted to roll her eyes as Pinkie completely missed the point, but let it slide. She was just being Pinkie Pie.

"Well, at least he's not snoring fire," Rarity said, clearly imagining how much the ensuing soot would sully her pristine white coat. "What are we meant to do about it?"

"I'll tell you what we're meant to do," Rainbow Dash interjected. "Give him the boot. Take that. And that!" Rainbow immediately set to accosting Twilight's favorite wooden horse head, which perturbed Twilight greatly. She lifted it out of the way of an aerial dive, causing Rainbow to crash into a stack of books. Twilight would have been concerned, but Rainbow was made of tough stuff and was averaging 2.41 crashes a day at this point, at least if her studies were to be believed.

"We need to encourage him to take a nap somewhere else," Twilight responded. She was all set to go into mission briefing mode, a mode that she'd been looking forward to ever since getting this assignment. "Princess Celestia has given us this mission, and we must not fail. If we do, Equestria will be covered in smoke for the next one hundred years."

"And why are you supposed to do it?"

Twilight looked at the others, but all of them looked equally confused as to who had said that. Further inspection revealed a slightly annoyed-looking Sugarcoat sitting on the library stairs.

"Um...because Princess Celestia assigned us to take care of it?" Twilight answered.

"She's a princess," Sugarcoat said. "She can raise the sun. She can take care of a dragon."

"But..." Twilight stammered.

"I didn't know prized student was synonymous with errand mare," Sugarcoat said, adjusting her glasses. "Just write to the Princess and tell her she's better-equipped to do this."

Fluttershy couldn't have nodded in agreement any quicker than she did.

Twilight stared at Sugarcoat. She'd been right so many times before...but...

"...No," Twilight said. "I can't do that. The Princess asked us to take care of this, and that's what we're going to do." She nodded insistently, her nod copied by everypony but Fluttershy. Sugarcoat raised a single brow, eyeing Twilight for what felt like forever.

"Fine," Sugarcoat finally said. "Do what you want. I thought Fluttershy was the doormat."

"What...?" Fluttershy said quietly. Sugarcoat just waved her off.

"We can take care of this all on our own," Twilight insisted. "Princess Celestia doesn't have to get involved."

"Uh-huh," Sugarcoat said, standing up. "If you think you're impressing me, you're wrong." With that, she left the library. Twilight watched her go, snorting a bit before looking back to the others.

"Okay, girls, you heard her," Rainbow said. "The fate of Equestria is in our hooves. Do we have what it takes?" Applejack, Pinkie, and Rarity cheered in affirmation, a sentiment that Fluttershy didn't quite share. But the decision had already been made, and within moments, the group was off to their separate homes to go prepare.

~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Princess Celestia,

I am happy to report that the dragon has departed our fair country, and that it was my good friend, Fluttershy, who convinced him to go. This adventure has taught me to never lose faith in your friends. They can be an amazing source of strength, and can help you overcome even your greatest fears.
Always your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight nodded a satisfied nod as Spike sent the letter off. She left her room, trotting downstairs to go outside and meet her friends. As she passed through the main hall of the library, she saw Sugarcoat sitting and reading. She wasn't normally one to rub things in others' faces, but she felt compelled to speak up as she stepped towards her.

"Thank you for your advice, Sugarcoat," Twilight said, smiling brightly. "But just like I told you, we were able to take care of the dragon ourselves. We didn't need Princess Celestia to do it for us like you said. Even though you thought we couldn't do it, we proved that we could." She grinned triumphantly, quite proud of herself and her friends.

"I didn't say you couldn't do it," Sugarcoat said, not even looking up from her book. "I said you shouldn't, or else you'd be a doormat. You did, and you're a doormat. Congratulations."

Twilight rolled her eyes and frowned, quickly turning away from Sugarcoat with a little grunt and exiting the library.