• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,415 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,415

Suited For Success

Rarity couldn't think of a time where she'd been more proud of her work than she was at this very moment.

When she'd come up with the idea of holding a fashion show for herself and her friends, she knew it would be a lot of work. She wasn't about to admit that to the girls, but it was true all the same. There was no reason to make her friends worry about her overworking herself when she knew she could get the work done without issue. The extra work, she knew, would be worth it if only for the opportunity to create for her best friends and the chance to see the joy on their faces when they saw the finished products. The joy, after all, was a foregone conclusion. Each dress had been perfectly tailored to their unique personalities and appearances. There was no chance that they would be dissatisfied.

"Wow... They're..." Twilight Sparkle started.

"Yeah, they're..." Rainbow Dash added, failing to help.

"They sure are... something," Applejack offered. At least she was making progress.

"Yes! Something!" Twilight quickly agreed.

"I love something!" Pinkie Pie bubbled. "Something is my favorite!"

"It's...nice," Fluttershy said quietly.

Suffice to say, these were not quite the reactions Rarity was looking for.

"But what's the matter?" Rarity asked, dumbfounded. "Don't you like them?"

"They're very nice..." Twilight said, smiling apologetically.

"And we're plumb grateful cause you worked so hard on them," Applejack was quick to add.

"Mine's just not as cool as I was imagining," Rainbow said. The glares from her friends threatened to bore holes through her. "She asked!"

"I guess what we're all saying is that they're just not what we had in mind," Twilight said, trying to soften the blow.

The blow, however, had not been sufficiently softened, at least if Rarity's expression was to be believed. It simply didn't make sense to her. These dresses were positively perfect, tailored to fit each of their bodies and personalities. She had poured her heart into each one. How could they not appreciate them?

Rarity took a moment for her mental faculties to return. The solution, however nonsensical it was, was clear.

"That's okay," Rarity said, despite her brain telling her it wasn't. "Not a problem. There's plenty more where that came from. They were only a first pass. You're my friends and I want you to be 110% satisfied. Not to worry, I'll redo them."

"Do you ponies just take turns being doormats?"

All six heads turned to the door and were not surprised to see Sugarcoat standing there.

"Doormats?" Rarity asked incredulously. "Darling, I was just..."

"You spent all this time making dresses for your friends and instead of appreciating them they're guilting you into making them new ones," Sugarcoat said. "A fancy frou-frou doormat is still a doormat."

"Now see here!" Applejack demanded. "We are appreciative and we ain't guilting her into anything!"

"If you were appreciative then you'd just thank her for the dresses and wear them," Sugarcoat replied. "Because that would make her happy. I thought you wanted to make her happy? Don't think I haven't seen the looks you give her." Applejack's face turned as red as her favorite fruit, and she quickly hid her face with her hat when Rarity looked in her direction.

"Are we really coming off as unappreciative?" Twilight asked.

"I just said you were," Sugarcoat told her. "You should really try listening better." The others hung their heads in guilt.

"We're sorry, Rarity," Twilight said. "The dresses you made are beautiful, honest. We'll be more than happy to wear them." The others nodded and murmured in agreement.

"Oh, I know you meant no harm by it," Rarity said, smiling warmly. Then she turned to Sugarcoat. "And thank you for pointing out my behavior. I pride myself on my generosity, but perhaps sometimes that can lead to ponies taking advantage of me, even if they don't mean to. I'll try to remember that in the future."

"You won't remember it," Sugarcoat stated.

"Oh, nonsense," Rarity replied with a smile. "Now, is there anything I could do for you to thank you? Oh, I could make you a dress to join in on our fashion show! Would you like that?"

"No," Sugarcoat responded. "It's nice being able to walk around naked."

"Finally, somepony else says it..." Fluttershy muttered to herself.