• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 5,414 Views, 1,092 Comments

Sugarcoat Interferes In Pony History - Twinkletail



Sugarcoat goes back in time and gets involved in pony history.

  • ...
26
 1,092
 5,414

Family Appreciation Day

"Thanks so much for stopping to listen to my problem, Sugarcoat! I'm sure you'll be able to help!"

Sugarcoat rolled her eyes as she stared at the little yellow filly and her two friends. All she had wanted to do was go about her own business.

"First off, I didn't choose to stop," Sugarcoat said. "You three just surrounded me and wouldn't let me get back to the library."

"Eh, same difference," Apple Bloom responded with a sheepish smirk.

"Uh-huh," Sugarcoat said. "Second, does this have anything to do with your cutie marks?"

"No!" Bloom answered, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo shaking their heads along with her. "Nothing at all!"

"Good," Sugarcoat said. "Alright, you've got a minute before I stop pretending to care. Go on and tell me what the problem is." Bloom took a deep breath, and Sugarcoat began to regret her decision before a word was even said.

"We're having Family Appreciation Day at our school," Bloom began. "And everypony's gotta bring in a family member to tell stories and I wanna bring Applejack or Big Macintosh but they're both busy with the Zap Apple harvest and the only one left is Granny Smith so Miss Cheerilee is making me bring her in but she's super-embarrassing and if I bring her in I'm gonna be the laughing stock of Ponyville and I tried pretending to be sick and picking the Zap Apples early and using Granny Smith like a puppet to tell Miss Cheerilee she couldn't come in but none of it worked and I don't know how to get out of this so I need your help!" She caught her breath, then gave Sugarcoat a sweet smile. "Any ideas?"

The three fillies were shaken by the cold stare that they received from Sugarcoat. They knew that she wasn't always the nicest pony in the world, but to see such a look from her was unlike anything they'd seen from her before. She'd often looked at them with derision–a word none of them knew but somehow understood the sentiment of–but this look trumped any they'd received from her. If her gaze had taken physical form, they would have found themselves in danger of being pierced where they stood.

"U-um...Sugarcoat?" Bloom said, just above a whisper. "...Is everything alright?"

"You're kidding me," Sugarcoat said coldly. The three fillies looked at each other nervously.

"What do you..." Bloom began, but she was swiftly cut off.

"It's called Family Appreciation Day," Sugarcoat said. "Do you realize how lucky you are to have a grandma who loves you and wants to help you out? One who's right there for you whenever you want or need her? Who cares if she's old and says some weird things? She's your grandma and you're lucky to have her, because one day, you're going to want her around and she won't be there anymore. It might not be for a while, but it'll happen, and you'd better appreciate her now while you still can."

A silence swept through the air, cold enough to chill one's spine. The fillies stared at Sugarcoat, slack-jawed. Sugarcoat, however, did not stare back. Her stare was locked intently on the ground.

"...M-maybe you're right..." Bloom said quietly. "She might be weird...but she's my granny, and I love her."

"I kinda wanna talk to my grandma now," Sweetie said softly.

"Same here," Scootaloo agreed. "We'll see ya later, Apple Bloom. Bye Sugarcoat." The two gave quick waves before turning around and heading in separate directions.

Bloom turned to leave, but stopped and looked back at Sugarcoat. Sugarcoat hadn't said a word or even looked back at them since finishing her rant, and now she was also turning to leave, still staring at the ground.

Apple Bloom was a young pony, and there were a lot of things about the world that she didn't fully understand yet. That didn't mean that she was completely naive, however, and she knew that look from Sugarcoat when she saw it. Before Sugarcoat knew it, she had a small filly hugging her tightly.

"Thanks, Sugarcoat," Bloom said quietly. "I don't know what you're going through, but I'll help you too if you need it, alright?"

Sugarcoat looked down at the filly. Her first instinct was to roll her eyes, but she suppressed it. After a few moments, she relented and patted the filly on the back.

"Thanks," Sugarcoat said. "Just don't ask me to help with your butt again."