• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 1,529 Views, 118 Comments

Destination: Thataway! - Hawattie



Crazy pony on an epic adventure. Warning: side effects may include, but are not limited to; nausea, itching, accidental lung failure, coughing, spontaneous combustion, sudden appreciation for bad music, sneezing, words, and/or exposition

  • ...
2
 118
 1,529

PreviousChapters Next
Fortune favors the bold.

When we got back to the tower I was able to see the full extent of the damage caused by the foal mafia's raid. An entire chunk of wall about the size of a small house was missing halfway up the side of the structure. Rubble was strewn across the ground all around making the possibility of tripping a very real hazard.

I could see both the labratory I'd been in during the attack and a couple hallways decorated with expensive-looking candelabras. Now that I think about it, those hallways were significantly longer than the tower was wide, giving credibility to the theory that it was bigger on the inside. I wonder what it would look like if we knocked a hole on the other side too. Would I be able to see all the way through, and if so would the other side appear further away than it actually was?

I was curious, but not curious enough to ask the sorceress if I could put more holes in her home.

"I'll need to hire somepony from town to fix this up," the sorceress mused.

"Why not just use your fancy magic to fix it yourself?" Fphant asked. "I know I've heard of unicorns who can do things like that." That would be an awesome skill to have! It would save so much time and money.

"Repair magics are, unfortunately, not among my repertoire of spells," the sorceress admitted. "As amazing as I am at magic - with a special talent of finding the scientific applications for common magics, how could I not be? - I am not perfect."

"Wait, you're actually being humble for once?" I joked. "Who are you and what have you done with the sorceress?" My antics earned me a light smack to the back of my head.

The sorceress's two dogs greeted us as we approached the tower's entrance. Or should I say they growled at us menacingly? I think that constitutes a greeting from a couple of magically over-large canines. I don't know, maybe they were just hungry or something.

"Down," the sorceress commanded. The large beasts calmed instantly at the sound of her voice, and plopped right down while attempting to wag their tails off. "Good puppies." The sorceress, still too lazy to remove herself from my back, used her magic to scratch behind their ears.

"Puppies?" Fphant muttered incredulously, no doubt remembering our last encounter with the large dogs. Still don't really know how he dealt with them, though our tussle with the foal mafia gave me some clues.

"Right!" the sorceress said, "you haven't been properly introduced yet!"

"We've been introduced just fine," Fphant grumbled. The sorceress either didn't hear him or chose to ignore him and began her introduction as if nothing had been said.

"These are Fluffy and Schmoopy," the dogs' tails wagged even harder as they heard their names, although I'm sure the extra attention they were receiving didn't hurt, "the two best friends a mare could ask for." If the two dogs' tails wagged any faster I thought they might fall off.

Wait, I just realized something. "If they're your best friends," I asked, "then what does that make us?" We were friends, right? Sure our relationship got off to a rocky start, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to believe in second chances. Hay, the only reason I'm here at all is because I got a second chance to do... still haven't figured out what yet... but the point stands! Second chances are good.

"Well, uh" the sorceress paused and scratched the back of her head. "We, uh, aren't best friends, because, um, we... haven't known each other for very long?" She really doesn't sound too sure of herself. Almost like she was saying what she thought I wanted to hear in order to spare my feelings. I'll let it slide for now.

"Nice save," Fphant muttered.

I coughed to break the awkward silence that descended upon our group. "Anyways..." I drew my syllables out as I thought of something to say. "Are you still dead set on experimenting on me, even after we've proved we can best you in a fight?"

"It wasn't a fair fight," she complained. "You surprised me is all."

"All's fair in love and war," Fphant replied sagely. "And you didn't answer his question."

I can't be certain, but I think the sorceress might have been blushing. "I guess I'll let you go this time, but only because my lab was damaged by that one dynamite-wielding filly during the foal mafia's attack."

"That's great news!" I exclaimed. "I hate hives. So itchy."

My apparent non-sequitur earned me a pair of "you're a moron" looks. "What do hives have to do with anything?" Fphant asked.

"Haven't I told you?" I'm pretty sure I told them about my allergy at some point or another... Ah well, it must've slipped my mind. "Pain causes me to break out in hives."

"That's quite the condition," the sorceress remarked. I guess I've got the scientist in her interested.

"Yeah," I nodded my head, "it gets really annoying sometimes. Especially when I scratch too hard, and it hurts. Because that just causes more hives!"

"You know," the sorceress said slowly, obviously deep in thought, "I might have something in my lab that can help you with that... of course it's highly experimental and I have no idea what side effects, if any, it will have."

"Well what are we waiting for?" I exclaimed. Something that can stop me from itching up a storm whenever I feel pain? Forget the side effects, I'm all for it! "Let's go!" I shouted before charging off through a nearby open door.

A few seconds later I emerged from the broom closet I'd entered with an embarrassed look on my face. "Heh, which way to the lab again?"

Fphant was laughing at me and the sorceress seemed close to doing the same. With a suppressed chuckle she pointed to a staircase on the opposite side of the room. "Thataway."

Author's Note:

How would pain cause hives, you ask? Magic. I blame it on the rebirth.

Any suggestions on how I can improve would be greatly appreciated. I sometimes have no idea what I'm doing.

Stay awesome. Try not to die.

PreviousChapters Next